• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

NeraBriscoletti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dragon_Quester72
3DS FC
0232-8277-7597
I'm late again... Darn it.

Ridley mentioned again, what do you guys think?

idk if the seemingly gigantic shadow in image one is him, but it seems to be him they're referring to in the description.
I do love hearing descriptions of pyrosphere, but I wish they were more clear with how it isn't a simple stage...

D

Deleted member 245254

Edit:

Ok then, how 'bout this. With every single disconfirmation of every character mentioned, Ashley, Waluigi, Prince Sable, Viridi, Takamaru, (the most recent) Girahim, and many, MANY others who was deconfirmed BY SAKURAI, why is Ridley the ONLY CHARACTER TO NOT GET A DECONFIRMATION NOTICE right when Ridley was "revealed" to avoid confusion, as previously done to other non-playable characters? Care to explain that?
So, you think Sakurai is obligated to deconfirm every single video game character in existence that is not in Smash bros. Simply because someone might think they are in? Is that rational? Even if they were in, he still is not anyway.

The Smash is a lie

On a different note I don't understand why some people want so badly to deconfirm Ridley seemingly just to spite people who want him.
This one is easy. Do you think atheists would chuckle in religions direction if one day God was somehow hypothetically disproven to exist?

Same concept. Many think it's absurd you could put so much stock in something that has little chance of being true to the point of fanaticism, so it's essentially entertaining to soak up the schadenfreude of such a circumstance where you are proved wrong. It's human nature, really.

While people can be a bit zealous in their support of Ridley, that Nintendo hasn't come out and outright deconfirmed him as playable when at the very least NA Nintendo is acutely aware of the theorising and support for him as playable, is odd. I'd be supprised if Japan Nintendo wasn't also aware.
He doesn't have to deconfirm every single gaming icon not in the game for them not to be in the game (as a playable character).

UnstableBeing

Smash Cadet
Ridley mentioned again, what do you guys think?

idk if the seemingly gigantic shadow in image one is him, but it seems to be him they're referring to in the description.
Image one is a pic we got after the direct and the shadow has been there since the first pic we got of Pyrosphere.

Last edited:

Chase

Smash Ace
Sakurai-"Which series deserves new characters...I know! Fire Emblem!"
The thing is, it did. Not two though. Marth, Ike, and Robin would have been fine. Lucina was unnecessary and you know it.

But back on Ridley, who does need to rep Metroid as it's most recurring villain.

D

Deleted member 245254

Please, calm down... There is no reason to say something like that. Also, Ridley is in this game...

Please make what you're trying to say more clear. At least say he won't be playable if that's what you mean.
Apparently you can't read because I illustrated that quite clearly.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
So, you think Sakurai is obligated to deconfirm every single video game character in existence that is not in Smash bros. Simply because someone might think they are in? Is that rational? Even if they were in, he still is not anyway.

This one is easy. Do you think atheists would chuckle in religions direction if one day God was somehow hypothetically disproven to exist?

Same concept. Many think it's absurd you could put so much stock in something that has little chance of being true to the point of fanaticism, so it's essentially entertaining to soak up the schadenfreude of such a circumstance where you are proved wrong. It's human nature, really.

He doesn't have to deconfirm every single gaming icon not in the game for them not to be in the game (as a playable character).
Yeesh. And people wonder why the Ridley thread is so bitter when we have to deal with this brand of intentional ignorance all the time.

1. Every character (keywords) SHOWN IN SMASH without being a PC has been confirmed not to be playable by Sakurai to kill any undue hype. We're not talking about all characters, just ones shown in smash without being playable.
2. As a religious man myself. Yes. Yes I do. Let's avoid turning this thread into even more of a firestorm, shall we?
3. Then they're being jerks and should stop. (hint hint.)
4. See point 1.

D

Deleted member

The thing is, he does disconfirm every character who is shown off in the game, besides Ridley.

Same concept. Many think it's absurd you could put so much stock in something that has little chance of being true to the point of fanaticism, so it's essentially entertaining to soak up the schadenfreude of such a circumstance where you are proved wrong. It's human nature, really
I enjoy looking forward to "soaking up the schadenfreude of such a circumstance where you are proved wrong."
The thing is, he does disconfirm every single gaming icon that is in the game, besides Ridley.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

You're missing the point. Nearly every character he's shown that wasn't playable was explicitly deconfirmed, to avoid creating false hype. It's just when he shows them. Recall Chrom? Was ambiguous enough in the trailer to make people mistake him for playable. Deconfirmed afterwards. Prince Sable? His PotD didn't specify his role. He personally tweeted a deconfirmation. Did he show Ridley? He kinda sort of yes he did. Did he deconfirm him? Nope.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace

So you are basically saying "Ridley is simply getting special treatment"

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman

Okay.

I'm fine for people disagreeing with me or others and I'll will happily listen and consider a detractors view points. But your tone and word choice make it pretty clear you have no interest in what others say beyond as a means to argue back at them. Your not really interested in what is being discussed, this is something to win for you, not to have meaninful conversation about. I'm not interested in a verbal competition, so I'll leave you to it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

The thing is, he does disconfirm every character who is shown off in the game, besides Ridley.

I enjoy looking forward to "soaking up the schadenfreude of such a circumstance where you are proved wrong."

The thing is, he does disconfirm every single gaming icon that is in the game, besides Ridley.
Has he deconfirmed Rayman? Nintendo Canada doesn't count. Do you count trophy POTD as deconfirms? Just because a character is a trophy doesn't mean they can't be playable, the whole roster itself had their own trophies.

There's a laundry list of flaws in your logic.

Skylit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skylit
I'm getting pessimistic again

First off, if there is a hazard on the pyrosphere, it's definitely Ridley, not some other Other M enemy. that sounds like major straw grasping to me.

Second, I doubt Ridley will be both a boss and playable. If he's a hazard, that's it. More than that feels like straw grasping again.

Thirdly, I feel like if he isn't shown off before the 3DS release, he's gonna be the hazard. I have no facts for these, but it's what my brain is putting together from all the evidence thus far.

But it really doesn't change anything, still have to wait the 3 weeks... I really hope there's a newcomer next week. Also that the newcomer is Ridley.
I'm starting to feel this way as well. Yes, there is a hazard on Pyrosphere. Who makes a visit? A past enemy of Samus, who just happens to fly right by the boss section of April's Direct. I've been following this thread for a while, I've seen all the arguments. I was overly confident that Ridley's confirmation as a playable character was inevitable. That was until that Nintendo Dream article reiterated what we already knew a year ago. It says something along the lines of: this stage has a hazard, who is the shadowy figure? The stage has a hazard...who is this shadowy figure? THE STAGE HAS A HAZARD, WHO IS THIS SHADOWY FIGURE??

Ugh idk guys, maybe Sakurai didn't expect this reaction from the community. Maybe we took a simple message too far and turned it into our own. As a result, Sakurai is not confirming or deconfirming anything until we get our hands on the game so he won't anger us. Then again, I'm sure he knows how predictable the internet is, so why is he being so passive about Ridley. What's going on in his head right now? I want to see Ridley playable, but a part of me is ready for rejection and seeing him as stage boss. Seeing NOE's tweet..and all these leaks, are we overthinking?..how about the, AHHoiwefoiwjefoijwef Just ignore me I'm in deep thought right now :054: ._.

PeterJude

Smash Ace

Sakurai and Nintendo make sure to deconfirm false speculation and clarify when things may confuse people, even when it really shouldn't (i.e. most assist trophy reveals). They don't just go about teasing characters without showing or naming them. That suggests something different.

Atheists who would chuckle if God were disproven aren't atheists as they're biased to the existence of "God" rather than simply not believing in any of the myriad of possibilities.

Ridley isn't just a gaming icon, he's a massive figure in the community who they even included in the intro video of Melee and has been a most wanted character throughout. He's not just a wanted character, but one of the most wanted. It wouldn't be so bad if he got the K Rool treatment of total, deafening silence, but here they've been teasing at him (a la Palutena) without ever saying his name, nor deconfirming him.

UnstableBeing

Smash Cadet
Where is the list of characters that where shown ingame (and not as a trophy) and immediately disconfirmed ?
You know to contrast with the list of characters shown but that have yet to be disconfirmed : 1.Ridley

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
In the unlikely circumstance that Ridley is a stage boss, it'd likely mark the 3DS version as the only Smash Bros game in which Ridley does not cameo in some fashion.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Has he deconfirmed Rayman? Nintendo Canada doesn't count. Do you count trophy POTD as deconfirms? Just because a character is a trophy doesn't mean they can't be playable, the whole roster itself had their own trophies.

I've found this curious too. This has been the case for both Rayman and Wonder 101 guy whatever his name might be. People seem to consider Wonder101 to be deconfirmed just fine (and Rayman too prior to the rep fumbling his words), so I suspect it has to do with the fact that character trophies are unlocked by playing through adventure/classic mode, and as such are not shown because it's all part of the reward .

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Okay.

I'm fine for people disagreeing with me or others and I'll will happily listen and consider a detractors view points. But your tone and word choice make it pretty clear you have no interest in what others say beyond as a means to argue back at them. Your not really interested in what is being discussed, this is something to win for you, not to have meaninful conversation about. I'm not interested in a verbal competition, so I'll leave you to it.
I'm pretty passionate about things I'm confident in. If that bothers you, I never asked you to participate.

I'm not sure how you can gauge my "tone" from writing, but this post is just an excuse to not have a good argument. If you had a good argument I probably wouldn't have a "tone". Seems like a win-win for you coming up with something believable.

D

Deleted member

He explicitly states that they aren't playable. I think you're ignoring my point. When he talks about Ghirahim: "He's an Assist Trophy." Takamura: "FYI, I'm an Assist Trophy." When showing the Brittany trophy: "She's not playable." He even cleared up the confusion about Lucina a day after Robin's trailer: "When a character's abilities differ ever so slightly, they get their own slot."

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Everyone, remember our rule; If arguments begin and cannot be resolved by the next page, then it's best to ignore the detractors to avoid going off topic.

As much as I would love to get Rayman in Smash, *cough*look below*cough*, your argument is flawed too. Sakurai has stated that "Newcomers will get trailer reveals". Since Rayman's a newcomer but didn't get a trailer, I'm inclined to assume he's not playable. Ridley however, doesn't count because Sakurai never actually "showed him" and never stated Ridley by name.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Everyone, remember our rule; If agruments begin and cannot be resolved by the next page, then it's best to ignore the detractors to stay

As much as I would love to get Rayman in Smash, *cough*look below*cough*, your argument is flawed too. Sakurai has stated that "Newcomers will get trailer reveals". Since Rayman's a newcomer but didn't get a trailer, I'm inclined to assume he's not playable. Ridley however, doesn't count because Sakurai never actually "showed him" and never stated Ridley by name.
Still, he had to deconfirm Chrom and Sablé, but not Wonder101 and Rayman. But I've covered that already in my own post.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty passionate about things I'm confident in. If that bothers you, I never asked you to participate.

I'm not sure how you can gauge my "tone" from writing, but this post is just an excuse to not have a good argument. If you had a good argument I probably wouldn't have a "tone". Seems like a win-win for you coming up with something believable.
There's a difference between arguing for the sake of changing someone's mind, and arguing just for the sake of arguing. (Not to mention arguing for the sake of ticking people off intentionally....)

You, my friend, have just upgraded to the level of "Person I would punch through the internet if I had the chance."

If you had a good argument I probably wouldn't have a "tone"
And this is why. Throw aside everything shown to you and just ignorantly charge forward to drive people nuts! That's the detractor's way!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I say we all put Zipzo on Ignore if we get to 1631
To be honest, nobody ever brings up that hole he (and I) just addressed.
Hole? You mean the one Ridley escaped in Other M, right? Well, then, I say that could prove Ridley to be playable, as the next encounter you had with him after he escaped was Ridley being a corpse, and that won't work, whether it's playable or a boss.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I say we all put Zipzo on Ignore if we get to 1631

Hole? You mean the one Ridley escaped in Other M, right? Well, then, I say that could prove Ridley to be playable, as the next encounter you had with him after he escaped was Ridley being a corpse, and that won't work, whether it's playable or a boss.
Yes, again:

Everyone, remember our rule; If arguments begin and cannot be resolved by the next page, then it's best to ignore the detractors to avoid going off topic.

D

Deleted member 245254

Dammit Zipzo, you are only using the same arguments we debunked last time! Think of something original instead of saying "Apparantly you can't read"
You have debunked nothing...

Everyone, remember our rule; If agruments begin and cannot be resolved by the next page, then it's best to ignore the detractors to stay

My argument is not flawed but your interpretation of it certainly is.

First of all you can't be sure we get all trailers before the release. It's possible we get them in game as an introduction to their unlock fight or something. You don't know.

Sakurai "showed" Ridley. Do you think he believes he somehow masked Ridley well enough or that people aren't smart enough to know it is him? He wants to keep you guessing, and it's driving you nuts, I get that.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, nobody ever brings up that hole he (and I) just addressed.
You just did, though, with the simple fact that "Those were trophies, and Ridley wasn't."

The fact that Ridley still hasn't shown scale nor claw in any form for over a year despite being subtly alluded to is all the more damning for the detractors. He's never even been referred to by name!

Last edited:

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman

This is a perfect example. You attack my character. What I said is an 'excuse', 'If I had a good argument', 'coming up with something believable.' These contribute nothing to discussing different viewpoints, and only serve to try an undermine my character and by association, my viewpoint. This is not debating, this is using trickery to seem like your arguing intellegently while attacking me. At which point if I reacted emotionally, the point of said attacks, I contribute to undermining my character and by association, my viewpoint.

Intentional or not, that is poor form and I will not play ball.

Last edited:

Ridley22

Smash Ace
Okay, I just saw a more clear translation. I retract my previous statement. Ridley hype is still livin'!

Also, can you guys stop this pointless argument. It been done way too many times and it always ends the same way. People argue the same points, and people start to get more and more aggressive. No side will convince the other, and nobody needs the hate.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

This is a perfect example. You attack my character. What I said is an 'excuse', 'If I had a good arugment', 'coming up with something believable.' These contribute nothing to discussing different viewpoints, and only serve to try an undermine my character and by association, my viewpoint. This is not debating, this is using trickery to seem like your aurging intellegently while attacking me. At which point if I reacted emotionally, the point of said attacks, I contribute to undermining my character and by association, my viewpoint.

Intentional or not, that is poor form and I will not play ball.
How did I attack your character?

Nothing in that post is even relatively close to a personal attack. Chill out.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
I see NEW MEAT and LACK OF CONVICTION.

Urtragians, Zebesians, and Scissor Blade-obsessed morons, this is your daily reminder that RIDLEY IS 100% IN and LEAKS ARE 100% FAKE. Anyone who believes otherwise is welcome to report to High Command for deprogramming and summary execution. :evil:

Lmao. He'd break the world record for longest trolling. Let's just hope that doesn't happen and Rids gets his day.
8-Bit Theater. Ten years. Nope. :awesome:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
You have debunked nothing...

My argument is not flawed but your interpretation of it certainly is.

First of all you can't be sure we get all trailers before the release. It's possible we get them in game as an introduction to their unlock fight or something. You don't know.

Sakurai "showed" Ridley. Do you think he believes he somehow masked Ridley well enough or that people aren't smart enough to know it is him? He wants to keep you guessing, and it's driving you nuts, I get that.
I personally have little doubts towards Ridley's inclusion. Everything Sakurai has done this whole time during the development of Smash 4 has shown me that Ridley has little room of being deconfirmed and shows his playability. If you don't see that, well that's you. That doesn't mean anything to me and my standpoint about Ridley's inclusion.

And I'm saying this one more time:

Last edited:
Top Bottom