• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
It's a known fact that humans like to observe patterns even where there are none. That's what this argument looks like to me.
Yep, I understand. I'm not sure if I can change your mind though. All I can say is that he has been very consistent in the deconfirmations, and is in line with his opinion on fake hype. What you think is up to you.

EDIT: Am I linking too much? I really hope I'm not. I just included it in case you read over one of my posts.

Last edited:

CHUBUNATO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CHUBUNATO
3DS FC
2277-6893-1304
44 users, 34 guests? What is this, a Colosseum? Are you all spectators watching a bunch of internet guys arguing themselves to death?.
LOLZ Honestly that's what i been doing on this forum since brawl was announced and only until recently decided to join in on the "fun".

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
LOLZ Honestly that's what i been doing on this forum since brawl was announced and only until recently decided to join in on the "fun".
Cool. Entree fee is $5, cough up.
Also, welcome, don't drink bad stuff, the usual.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Incase I missed you:

Welcome to the thread! *Insert generic "glad to see you join" and "don't drink the water" message coming your way*

NeraBriscoletti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dragon_Quester72
3DS FC
0232-8277-7597
I worded quite explicitly in that post you quoted that I was referring to his playability, I made no question of his appearance in the game in some form.

Thus, it seems like you have a severe reading comprehension issue when you assert that I expressed my thoughts in a way that implied anything else. Anyone who understands English can read the post and see how I mentioned multiple times the word "playability".
...I was making fun of you. I knew what you meant, how could you possibly think I didn't know what you meant? Once again, I was making fun of your lack of a proper sentence. Either state exactly what you mean to say, or go away.

Actually, scratch that, just go away even if you do state exactly what you mean.

And now that that's over with, I shall do the smart thing and start ignoring him. I have a lot of practice at ignoring people, so I should be fine.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Something tells me i need to repost my cannonballs to all of the new users who gave up on ridley because of the article and the video being posted again.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Devil's advocate is when you pretend to be the opposite, in this case, a detractor, and 2000 is when everything will start glitching
Opposite....Well I'm used to my "test of sarcasm" on the interent thing so maybe but I'm not a Ridley hater as some may think.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Well, first I was a detractor because I thought he wouldn't fit and the boss thing, then I saw he could've been shrunk and the boss didn't have to be the original Ridley, but didn't really want him, so I was then neutral, them I saw how important Ridley is to the series and now I think he should be playable.
Okay... I had finished reading everything, when I posted on Miiverse for someone to help me from turning...but it was already too late. The evidence was too convincing to ignore, and I spiraled into a mental breakdown.

If you browse through my Miiverse posts long enough, you can see my meltdown.

D

Deleted member 245254

Yep, I understand. I'm not sure if I can change your mind though. All I can say is that he has been very consistent in the deconfirmations, and is in line with his opinion on fake hype. What you think is up to you.

EDIT: Am I linking too much? I really hope I'm not. I just included it in case you read over one of my posts.
That article is certainly interesting (although rather old), but unfortunately it doesn't assist the idea that Ridley is suggested to be playable. Sometimes people will fan hype no matter the case, and the thing that bothers me about Ridley hype specifically is I find it to be almost 98% community conceived, and 2% the rest falling on the cameo in the April direct.

People keep using the word teasing as if it's been some long ordeal. He was "teased" once. One time only. The tip of his wing and his shadow. That's it.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Opposite....Well I'm used to my "test of sarcasm" on the interent thing so maybe but I'm not a Ridley hater as some may think.
Not supposed to do that either, lest we attract the wrath of mod.

All that aside, is there even anything left to discuss at this point? We've done movesets, alts, victory/defeat poses, taunts... several times each, I think?

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Please refrain from making the entire point of your post to call someone out/insult them
That article is certainly interesting (although rather old), but unfortunately it doesn't assist the idea that Ridley is suggested to be playable. Sometimes people will fan hype no matter the case, and the thing that bothers me about Ridley hype specifically is I find it to be almost 98% community conceived, and 2% the rest falling on the cameo in the April direct.

People keep using the word teasing as if it's been some long ordeal. He was "teased" once. One time only. The tip of his wing and his shadow. That's it.
"An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any moment."

That nails it, you're either a moron, or a troll. And I'm done playing with you.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If "An enemy from Samus' past" doesn't refer to Ridley then I don't know what does. Ridley has been alluded to twice for sure.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
While I dislike Zipzo's arguing method (not his viewpoint, I can fully understand someone not believing Ridley is in, even if I think he probably is), can I recommened we remain civil. Just ignore his posts if he bothers you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Warning Received
...I was making fun of you. I knew what you meant, how could you possibly think I didn't know what you meant? Once again, I was making fun of your lack of a proper sentence. Either state exactly what you mean to say, or go away.

Actually, scratch that, just go away even if you do state exactly what you mean.

And now that that's over with, I shall do the smart thing and start ignoring him. I have a lot of practice at ignoring people, so I should be fine.
Seriously, this post makes me think you are suffering a mental illness.

You say you understood what I meant.

You're trying to make fun of my "lack of proper sentence"...even though all my sentences were proper and asserted my point in the exact way I intended it to be asserted?

The very first sentence I mention Ridley, I use the word "playability". There was no vagueness that could lead to confusion. I was concise and explicit. You have reading comprehension issues. It worries me that people let you post things on the internet, even.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633

All that aside, is there even anything left to discuss at this point? We've done movesets, alts, victory/defeat poses, taunts... several times each, I think?
Well I'll try to tone it down a bit since people tend to get mad at me in the wrong idea...I don't talk about Ridley a lot so I really don't know.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
REPOST TIME

Alright this is the biggest thing I have ever posted I really hope I did well
first off I like to thank lackadaisyalex for this it does almost all of the arguments' part's for me
but I will be doing some of the arguments anyway
now then
it all started with this
after the yellow devil Ridley gets shown
but this does not mean that Ridley is not playable and I will show you why and then the after this will be the best part
toon link survived despite his cameo appearance
well first off most of us thought toon link was kicked because of this happening

he was a stage cameo instead of playable we all thought because of that he was doomed to come back.

"but..."
on 9/26 2013
http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/toon_link.html
Wait wait wait, but that's impossible he was a cameo before how did toon link survived. Well turns out sakurai had something prepared

Alfonzo is taking toon Links place when he is being played as

So what does this have to do with Ridley well it's this.

Well sakurai called this stage the pyrosphere.

but there's something that's plausible it's this

pyrosphere is NOT the correct name for where you fight Ridley
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Geothermal_Power_Plant
that's the correct name

pyrosphere is the name of the fire world in other m not the room. This may be a scrolling room some of the stages already confirmed and some of the past ones, For example this one
in this quote looks suspicious

Hmmm now that's suspicious.
Now where I'm going is this.
the Goyagma
and the Vorash
(This user of the videos is not me before you ask.)
They could be boss hazards and Ridley as well if this is a scrolling stage.
In other words the Goyagma, and Vorash, maybe bosses, but when Ridley, is being played as Ridley may be simply turned off
which brings the next thing
Both boss hazard and playable
We know this is Ridley.

And could be a hazard, but it does not roll out playable if he was boss and here's why.

remember this fight on Kirby air ride city trial.

Yea he's a boss in city trial

'But look...'
Start at 2:19ish

That's playable Dedede also on city trial.

So Dedede is both playable, and a boss, on city trial.

So going back the stage thing that's how I think Ridley. Simply disable will work when he's in the arena if a scrolling stage.

OK next up is

Sakurai can have a change of heart
Now what's this has to do with him well its this.

OK what he is saying is Ridley is impossible. But change of heart is very likely.

What it means he thought villager was not suitable for battle.
He had a change of heart obviously.
http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/villager.html
So, he made villager playable.
Now for exhibit B
He claimed that Namco would not get any special treatment. If he said that why did this get added to smash.

And these guys from galaga (which is made by Namco)

the S flag is a proud symbol of Namco and how charizard is holding it. It is probably going to be an assist trophy based item. That is nothing but retro Namco character that the S flag was in probably
And also not to mention this helps pac-man, and that's a Namco character. And, Sakurai probably knows that if he lets pac-man in as playable his game is going to make history
(worlds first game with Mario sonic mega man pac-man all playable in one game)
(I suppose another is the first time ever Ridley is playable in something that's not fan based game if confirmed playable)
and now for the big apple pie
HES WAY TOO BIG YOU FOOLS
This is by far the worst argument in the history of these forms.

EVERYBODY HAS BEN HUGE AND SHRUKEN AND PLAYABLES HAVE BEN SMALLER THAN THEY HAVE BEN NOT PLAYABLE

Let's start with Bowser.

Oh he was this once.

WROOOONG

They did it twice. (Unless the left is fan based ofcoarse.) and that's not the only time he was huge.

So he resize's Bowser All of the time in stuff. (Without any magical stuff he grab's .)

but when playable.

He's smaller.

And this is with a bunch of other character's with shrinkage or growth.

"King k rool"

"Boss"

He's even bigger in this.

But playable.

WTF a toad is half his height.

"Petey pirhana"

But playable.

:crazy: Luigi is almost as tall as him.

And here's my favorite

"Quenn bee"

"Boss"

But playable

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:
FROM TITAN SIZE TO A TOAD 3/4 HER SIZE WHAT?!?!?!?!

in other words characters get shrunken when playable

and ofcoarse this kills it
http://nintendoeverything.com/super-smash-bros-for-3ds-screenshot-21914/
the quote of this is
This dog is huge… Wait, no, the playable characters are small. The Smash Bros. series doesn’t always stay true to scale

ok that kills the argument CYA

[\spoiler]
link to part 2
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ii-u-3ds-thread.324284/page-637#post-16728288

NeraBriscoletti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dragon_Quester72
3DS FC
0232-8277-7597

Thanks for the link! I actually hadn't read that yet and find it very interesting...

Also, don't worry about linking a lot, I for one think it's fine...

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

There's only one thing left to do..... EVENTS!

What event matches you think would involve Ridley?

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Part 2 shadow analyze
Part 2 of the shadow analysis: Before we start, I would like to address one more thing out of Part 1:

HE DECONFIRMED RIDLEY!

When the footage was shown in the Yellow Devil section, he never mentioned Ridley as another boss; He only heavily implied so.

He also deconfirms characters without beating around the bush, as with Waluigi, Ashley, Dillon, Wonder Red...

Sakurai:
"We didn’t introduce ALL of the Assist Trophies in the Smash Bros. Direct. Here’s Dillon from Dillon’s Rolling Western!! He may rival Sonic in the art of rolling.
This is his trophy. He may be an animal, and his buckles are definitely on the adorable side, but there’s no denying he looks cool!! His Assist Trophy can even do things like a quick charge."

Sakurai:
"The Wonderful 100!! We also made trophies of some of the other Wonderful Ones."
There's a precedence of deconfirming characters directly. Ridley was not directly deconfirmed, so his chances still remain high.

EDIT

http://s4.postimg.org/5tqojhmi3/uhh.png

This is an even better explamation of where im getting at.

Anyhow, onto the second part.
HE'S HUGE!
Yeah, about that...
Okay, yeah, it DOES looks huge, but his shadow doesn't cover the central platform with the little pegs there.

Why is that relevant? Well, look at this picture.

His shadow is not as big as the center platform, which means he is smaller than he lets on.

Plus, his wings give off the illusion that his body is enormous.

But if we take some measurements...
We can see that his wingspan far exceeds his body.

And if we exclude the wings of the shadow picture above:

Wow, that's so much smaller.

And another thing:

the shadow does stretch out at points, so its an illusion to make Ridley much larger than he appears to be:

Not only is the shadow much larger, but the bottom is really stretched.

HE'S A BOSS CHARACTER, NOT A PLAYABLE CHARACTER!
Possible, but the exact quote was:
"Boss characters makes appearances in other stages, not just this one."
Why say boss characters?

I mean, these guys are/were bosses in their own games at some point, and they're characters.

Yes, even good ol' DK. So we can't rule out vague diction.

Another point against him being a boss: Did you notice Pikachu actually escapes Ridley?

Now this was a few moments before Ridley started flying again.
So how did Pikachu escape without any struggle? He was definitely not struggling.
According to the wiki on grabs, if your damage is at 0%, you can escape without struggle in about six seconds.
But the absolute weirdest sign is that just before the footage fade out, he may have jumped.

View attachment 12399
Compare with Brawl Ridley(s). Their movement is so smooth and well-telegraphed, much like most bosses in other games.

Compare with shadow footage Ridley. His movement is so jerky, much like how every character throughout the Smash Bros. series moves.

For all we know, that quote could mean anything.

SIZE COMPARION
Alright, let's start with the most important thing in my opinion: his hand and tail.
Pictured: Ridley's hand.

Pictured: Ridley's tail. (Estimated)

Because these shadows are on a wall, the only thing that can distort it is a zoom in effect on the picture. But since the shadows mostly stay true to the size of the characters, these are at least 80% accurate to actual size, in my opinion.

And it took me a while, but I found a another character shadow on the pillar, Donkey Kong.

At 2:29, look at the pillar, slow down the video, and don't blink.
That's my estimate, but I'm probably off on the fill in, so keep that in mind.

Ridley's tail talon is no where near Donkey Kong's height. It is most likely only 1/2 ish of Donkey Kong's height.

and his hand is only 1/6 of Donkey Kong's height.

Onto the hand!
Picture A: Ridley's size in Other M.
Picture B: angel glory's resized Ridley holding Samus.

Judging by the hand picture, if we increase the size of the hand shadow by a few knuckles, doing so would most likely yield Ridley's size from Picture B.
As for his tail, it's most likely this size:

Left: This is the size of Ridley's tail in Other M as compared to Samus.

Right: This is the estimated size of Ridley's tail in Sm4sh as compared to Pikachu.
Credit to @Dalek_Kolt for this

Assuming the blob above is Pikachu, roughly six Ridley tails can fit inside Pikachu.
Therefore, Ridley's range of sizes are these, hardly boss-sized.

Ridley's largest size:

Ridley's smallest size:

Size comparison with Bigley and Smalley:

Bonus Yellow Devil comparison.

Next up his head:

his head is right there and my estimates are correct by his head size and kirbys shadow (which will be a little lower on this post)
is 2/3 or 1/2 ridleys head
And now the best part of them all: Body comparisons!
Okay, I gathered a few pictures of as many character's shadows as possible. (If you want to help me with this part, you can find me some full shadow pictures of other characters that aren't being covered by other obstructing/obscuring objects.)

As I mentioned earlier, Ridley's wings make him look a lot bigger, so for estimation purposes, I excluded the wings for size comparison. Also keep in mind that these aren't 100% perfect.

Heeeeeere we go

Charizard

Source:
at 2:01

Kirby

Source:
Go to 1:25
(Don't blink and you will see it. This took me many attempts to get this one.)

Zero Suit Samus (And by extension, Samus)

Source:
http://smashbros-miiverse.com/
you will see it under the correct categorys

Greninja

(this one was Really tough)

See Charizard for the source, and go to 1:38.
(With a keen eye, you can see Greninja's shadow)
Rosalina
(This is by far the most useful for arguments, because Rosalina and Bowser are almost the exact same height.)

(yes I know because of how she is its the best I can do)

Rosalina is almost as large as Ridley's whole body!
Source:
Go to 2:18.
(but if you guys/girls not commenced by this see if you can get me a better Rosalina shadow)
Ok Bowser is next

The Next picture is where the shadow is.
(picture by @majora_787)

So, with this now without a further ado. Here is the pin points.

Blue, & Green, = shadow positions.
Red, & Yellow, = Approximate measurement of the shadow over here.

Hehehe look at that "Bowsers shadow is almost as big as Ridleys."
Source:
And going back to Rosalina's shadow.

Like I Said Rosalina, & Bowser Are Almost the same Height
Megaman & Pikachu

This is by far the most useful of them all megaman is in the air and is almost the same height as ridley (in the air wise).
So I decided to reverse the pin points on this one.

And sure enough I could do Ridleys pin points in this megaman picture.

Look at that Megaman's shadow is 2/3s of Ridleys Shadow.
(and if you look at pikachus shadow its 98% the same size as his own shadow when Ridley grabbed Pikachu.)
Source:

and now the best for last

I did Mother Brain, but I did Ridley's shadow points instead.

(The green dot is on the other size because that's his foot. And since Pikachu is on the other side, I need to use his other foot for reference.)

:crazy: Wait a Second Ridley shadow is smaller than mother brains
look at these

Ridley has always been bigger than Mother Brain, (Well, except for the NES, but Zero Mission retconned that) so why is Mother Brain's shadow now bigger than Ridley's?
well that's what I got you want more you can help for finding more shadows of other characters or better pictures or mention anything I missed I will post it for a part 3 (sectioned missed arguments)
so what are you thoughts
link to part 1
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ii-u-3ds-thread.324284/page-636#post-16727842]

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
Zipzo ok so I understand you are not for Ridleys inclusion in the game. but I just wanted to show you this.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...g-in-the-detractors-paradise.324284/page-1095

This link will take you back a couple pages in this thread and if you scroll down on this page it shows a great comparison between Ridley and Megamans shadow on Pyrosphere. they are both in the air and both cast off a shadow. when we connect the dots Megamans shadow size is only about half of Ridley shadow size. In this game, Megaman is only half of Bowsers height as well. so the whole point of the Ridley detractors not wanting playable Ridley is because, in their OPINION it wouldn't look good. but this picture proves he is in fact playable sized in this game. So the question is, Would you rather have a decent sized playable Ridley or a Bowser sized boss Ridley?

T-Hell

Smash Lord

You say you understood what I meant.

You're trying to make fun of my "lack of proper sentence"...even though all my sentences were proper and asserted my point in the exact way I intended it to be asserted?

The very first sentence I mention Ridley, I use the word "playability". There was no vagueness that could lead to confusion. I was concise and explicit. You have reading comprehension issues. It worries me that people let you post things on the internet, even.
You crossed a line there telling she has mental illness. Just go away you and your nice vocabulary that doesn't impress anybody.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'm gone for a while and I miss some of the fun. At least I can read this stuff over dinner.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Something tells me i need to repost my cannonballs to all of the new users who gave up on ridley because of the article and the video being posted again.
Space pirates use phaser cannons and other forms of practical technobabble, not cannonballs.

Well, yes, no. We did kind of create the hype ourselves, but that's because we decided to look further into the footage. Our straw-grasping skills are unmatched by any other character fanbase. We found that, if you compared the shadow of Ridley to other shadows (and one I think still should be added to the 2nd post, MegaMan's shadow after he jumps off his dog thingmadoodle), and took the way the shadows work into consideration, Ridley would have been severely downscaled from his Other M size. We noticed that pattern thing too, and got curious as to why Ridley had to be the exception again. It didn't add up, at least for us.

Heh. Ridley's existence was first teased at over a year ago. If a long wait full of the tension of uncertainity and fears of the PotD of death, and the pressure of the hatebase, doesn't count as an ordeal, then I don't know what does.
In all seriousness though, it's been a long and rugged road. The fact that we pulled through just makes us stand stronger. Or something.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Aaaaand this is the point where we drop this discussion. Nobody is going to convince anyone obviously, and I might not be a moderator but I can definitely sense when things have gone too far and people can't express themselves without throwing out insults. Stop this ****ty discussion.

Last edited:

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Part 2 shadow analyze
Part 2 of the shadow analysis: Before we start, I would like to address one more thing out of Part 1:

HE DECONFIRMED RIDLEY!

When the footage was shown in the Yellow Devil section, he never mentioned Ridley as another boss; He only heavily implied so.

He also deconfirms characters without beating around the bush, as with Waluigi, Ashley, Dillon, Wonder Red...

Sakurai:
"We didn’t introduce ALL of the Assist Trophies in the Smash Bros. Direct. Here’s Dillon from Dillon’s Rolling Western!! He may rival Sonic in the art of rolling.
This is his trophy. He may be an animal, and his buckles are definitely on the adorable side, but there’s no denying he looks cool!! His Assist Trophy can even do things like a quick charge."

Sakurai:
"The Wonderful 100!! We also made trophies of some of the other Wonderful Ones."
There's a precedence of deconfirming characters directly. Ridley was not directly deconfirmed, so his chances still remain high.

EDIT

http://s4.postimg.org/5tqojhmi3/uhh.png

This is an even better explamation of where im getting at.

Anyhow, onto the second part.
HE'S HUGE!
Yeah, about that...
Okay, yeah, it DOES looks huge, but his shadow doesn't cover the central platform with the little pegs there.

Why is that relevant? Well, look at this picture.

His shadow is not as big as the center platform, which means he is smaller than he lets on.

Plus, his wings give off the illusion that his body is enormous.

But if we take some measurements...
We can see that his wingspan far exceeds his body.

And if we exclude the wings of the shadow picture above:

Wow, that's so much smaller.

And another thing:

the shadow does stretch out at points, so its an illusion to make Ridley much larger than he appears to be:

Not only is the shadow much larger, but the bottom is really stretched.

HE'S A BOSS CHARACTER, NOT A PLAYABLE CHARACTER!
Possible, but the exact quote was:
"Boss characters makes appearances in other stages, not just this one."
Why say boss characters?

I mean, these guys are/were bosses in their own games at some point, and they're characters.

Yes, even good ol' DK. So we can't rule out vague diction.

Another point against him being a boss: Did you notice Pikachu actually escapes Ridley?

Now this was a few moments before Ridley started flying again.
So how did Pikachu escape without any struggle? He was definitely not struggling.
According to the wiki on grabs, if your damage is at 0%, you can escape without struggle in about six seconds.
But the absolute weirdest sign is that just before the footage fade out, he may have jumped.

View attachment 12399
Compare with Brawl Ridley(s). Their movement is so smooth and well-telegraphed, much like most bosses in other games.

Compare with shadow footage Ridley. His movement is so jerky, much like how every character throughout the Smash Bros. series moves.

For all we know, that quote could mean anything.

SIZE COMPARION
Alright, let's start with the most important thing in my opinion: his hand and tail.
Pictured: Ridley's hand.

Pictured: Ridley's tail. (Estimated)

Because these shadows are on a wall, the only thing that can distort it is a zoom in effect on the picture. But since the shadows mostly stay true to the size of the characters, these are at least 80% accurate to actual size, in my opinion.

And it took me a while, but I found a another character shadow on the pillar, Donkey Kong.

At 2:29, look at the pillar, slow down the video, and don't blink.
That's my estimate, but I'm probably off on the fill in, so keep that in mind.

Ridley's tail talon is no where near Donkey Kong's height. It is most likely only 1/2 ish of Donkey Kong's height.

and his hand is only 1/6 of Donkey Kong's height.

Onto the hand!
Picture A: Ridley's size in Other M.
Picture B: angel glory's resized Ridley holding Samus.

Judging by the hand picture, if we increase the size of the hand shadow by a few knuckles, doing so would most likely yield Ridley's size from Picture B.
As for his tail, it's most likely this size:

Left: This is the size of Ridley's tail in Other M as compared to Samus.

Right: This is the estimated size of Ridley's tail in Sm4sh as compared to Pikachu.
Credit to @Dalek_Kolt for this

Assuming the blob above is Pikachu, roughly six Ridley tails can fit inside Pikachu.
Therefore, Ridley's range of sizes are these, hardly boss-sized.

Ridley's largest size:

Ridley's smallest size:

Size comparison with Bigley and Smalley:

Bonus Yellow Devil comparison.

Next up his head:

his head is right there and my estimates are correct by his head size and kirbys shadow (which will be a little lower on this post)
is 2/3 or 1/2 ridleys head
And now the best part of them all: Body comparisons!
Okay, I gathered a few pictures of as many character's shadows as possible. (If you want to help me with this part, you can find me some full shadow pictures of other characters that aren't being covered by other obstructing/obscuring objects.)

As I mentioned earlier, Ridley's wings make him look a lot bigger, so for estimation purposes, I excluded the wings for size comparison. Also keep in mind that these aren't 100% perfect.

Heeeeeere we go

Charizard

Source:
at 2:01

Kirby

Source:
Go to 1:25
(Don't blink and you will see it. This took me many attempts to get this one.)

Zero Suit Samus (And by extension, Samus)

Source:

Greninja

(this one was Really tough)

See Charizard for the source, and go to 1:38.
(With a keen eye, you can see Greninja's shadow)
Rosalina
(This is by far the most useful for arguments, because Rosalina and Bowser are almost the exact same height.)

(yes I know because of how she is its the best I can do)

Rosalina is almost as large as Ridley's whole body!
Source:
Go to 2:18.
(but if you guys/girls not commenced by this see if you can get me a better Rosalina shadow)
Ok Bowser is next

The Next picture is where the shadow is.
(picture by @majora_787)

So, with this now without a further ado. Here is the pin points.

Blue, & Green, = shadow positions.
Red, & Yellow, = Approximate measurement of the shadow over here.

Hehehe look at that "Bowsers shadow is almost as big as Ridleys."
Source:
And going back to Rosalina's shadow.

Like I Said Rosalina, & Bowser Are Almost the same Height
Megaman & Pikachu

This is by far the most useful of them all megaman is in the air and is almost the same height as ridley (in the air wise).
So I decided to reverse the pin points on this one.

And sure enough I could do Ridleys pin points in this megaman picture.

Look at that Megaman's shadow is 2/3s of Ridleys Shadow.
(and if you look at pikachus shadow its 98% the same size as his own shadow when Ridley grabbed Pikachu.)
Source:

and now the best for last

I did Mother Brain, but I did Ridley's shadow points instead.

(The green dot is on the other size because that's his foot. And since Pikachu is on the other side, I need to use his other foot for reference.)

:crazy: Wait a Second Ridley shadow is smaller than mother brains
look at these

Ridley has always been bigger than Mother Brain, (Well, except for the NES, but Zero Mission retconned that) so why is Mother Brain's shadow now bigger than Ridley's?
well that's what I got you want more you can help for finding more shadows of other characters or better pictures or mention anything I missed I will post it for a part 3 (sectioned missed arguments)
so what are you thoughts
link to part 1
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ii-u-3ds-thread.324284/page-636#post-16727842]
"These guys were bosses in their own game and their characters"

I don't know what the shadow has to do with anything now.

I'm just gonna be that one guy but the game's gonna be out in Japan soon and it's better to wait for meat least to see the roster.

Skylit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skylit
So, do you guys think Ridley would clap in someone else's victory? I'd kind of like him to be turned away fuming to himself, a little like Snake in brawl.
I just want RIdley to look intimidating/ disappointed. It'll look appropriate when Zero Suit Samus wins and pokes fun at Ridley during the victory screen similar to Fox and Falco in brawl.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Aaaaand this is the point where we drop this discussion. Nobody is going to convince anyone obviously, and I might not be a moderator but I can definitely sense when things have gone too far and people can't express themselves without throwing out insults. Stop this ****ty discussion.
Seriously, we're the bad guys when crap like this gets pulled?

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
I think the purple tubes will have a rocket feature to go around the Pyrosphere.
I think the tubes will burst open if you stand on the platforms too long and they release trauma gas which causes you to go into a monologue. that's the stage hazard

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
I'm basically requoting a few people, these aren't my words. (I did add Ghirahim though, as a lot of people wanted him)

Disconfirmed characters
Waluigi - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct. (Source)
Ashley - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct. (Source)
Starfy - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct. (Source)
Samurai Goroh - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in the SSB Direct. (Source)
Dark Samus - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in the SSB Direct. (Source)
Dillon - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD. (Source)
Midna - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct. (Source)
Isabelle - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct. (Source)
Phosphora - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown in a PotD, role later revealed in another PoTD/screenshot. (Source / Source 2 (As Assist Trophy))
Chrom - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified (through gameplay) in the Lucina and Robin video. (Source / Source 2 (Confirmed to not be playable by Nintendo to IGN))
Takamaru - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown, and role specified in PotD (many thought he would be playable) (Source)
Ghirahim- Quick and straight to the point: named, shown, and role specified in PotD. (Source)

Ridley
Not named.
Not shown (we only saw his shadow and a tail (if slowed down the clip/stop).
Role wasn't specified, his was basically called a boss character without being directly referenced, implied to be doing something on Pyrosphere.
Teasing via a PotD, shadow in the direct, trophy quiz in the direct.
Loads of Pyrosphere pictures and many clips of footage of Pyrosphere that lack Ridley.
No Pyrosphere presence at E3 or in demos, and Sakurai didn't mention Ridley.

Last edited:
Top Bottom