• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
hey guys, remember that one time when there was a detractor here and bashed ridley. remember what we did to him? WE IGNORED HIM. and then later on he commented the same thing just to get attention, of course swampasaur (if thats how you spell it) called him out on it. the guy bashed someone else, after that, we did nothing. good times guys

D

Deleted member 245254

I personally have little doubts towards Ridley's inclusion. Everything Sakurai has done this whole time during the development of Smash 4 has shown me that Ridley has little room of being deconfirmed and shows his playability. If you don't see that, well that's you. That doesn't mean anything to me and my standpoint about Ridley's inclusion.
So, hypothetical, he's not playable.

What would you point out as the flaw in your logic that led you to believe so fanatically in a falsehood?

The thing that irritates me is that most people in your position tend to insist that they would point the finger at Sakurai for "deceiving" them or something to that affect, and I think that's a load.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
So, do you guys think Ridley would clap in someone else's victory? I'd kind of like him to be turned away fuming to himself, a little like Snake in brawl.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
This may be old news, but a fellow smashboards user found this in Rosalina and lumas trailer, on the top of the most recent page on the general character disussion, there maybe a hint towards Ridley. I'm a noob, so I can't link or anything :(

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

What would you point out as the flaw in your logic that led you to believe so fanatically in a falsehood?

The thing that irritates me is that most people in your position tend to insist that they would point the finger at Sakurai for "deceiving" them or something to that affect, and I think that's a load.
I thought I said this, so I'll reiterate:

Ok then, how 'bout this. With every single disconfirmation of every character mentioned, Ashley, Waluigi, Prince Sable, Viridi, Takamaru, (the most recent) Girahim, and many, MANY others who was deconfirmed BY SAKURAI, why is Ridley the ONLY CHARACTER TO NOT GET A DECONFIRMATION NOTICE right when Ridley was "revealed" to avoid confusion, as previously done to other non-playable characters? Care to explain that?

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman

I repeat. For over a year, we've seen nothing about Ridley but teasing. Some people here take it too far (though I think most of it is in jest.) Objectively, Ridley's status in Smash 4 has been teased for over a year with not a scale, claw, fang, or even his NAME being dropped, while every other character is either named right off the bat and subsequently confirmed/denied.

No matter what, there's obviously SOMETHING big (ha ha) going down with Ridley, and to pretend there isn't, again, smacks of self induced ignorance to force an unnecessary argument. And yes, people have a right to be a little miffed if, after a year of teasing, we get nothing worthwhile for it.

EDIT: Again, you're ignoring "good arguments" for the sake of dragging this out. Go away, or I swear, I will find a way to hit you through your router.

Last edited:

HurricaneMarth

Smash Cadet
Sakurai's main goal should be to sell the game like crazy.

The truth is, people just do not get excited over stage hazards and the game would sell with a playable Ridley

CHUBUNATO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CHUBUNATO
3DS FC
2277-6893-1304
What if the stage they showed the Ridley shadow on was the FD version.. I didn't see any platforms or lava pouring from the clip. Ridley confirmed! *shot*

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
44 users, 34 guests? What is this, a Colosseum? Are you all spectators watching a bunch of internet guys arguing themselves to death? Aren't there better forms of entertainment available to you? Shoo!

I don't really mind Zipzo. In fact, detractors (I wish there was a less negatively-laden word for this) did kind of help us grow, didn't they? They made the whole Ridley thing controversial, which led to more people getting interested and involved in it. They were what made the fanbase so big. Thank god for them. Besides, good solid debate helps us to hone our arguments when someone stumbles upon a hole in the argument.

I guess because, once again, he explicitly deconfirmed most characters as soon as he has shown them. It's a very solid pattern. Which of course raises the question why Sakurai hasn't done that for Ridley yet if he truly is a boss. He did it for Sablé, why not for Ridley? You can probably think of a reason, or maybe already have thought of one. Might have read over it.
But yeah, we'd point the finger at him because he basically would have decided not to tell us about the fact that our most wanted character is not playable, and instead let our hopes build up for months (a year if you count his tease at Ridley at Pyrosphere's reveal).

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
So, do you guys think Ridley would clap in someone else's victory? I'd kind of like him to be turned away fuming to himself, a little like Snake in brawl.
I'd like to seem him trying to hold himself back because NOBODY beats Ridley.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I'm not saying it isn't completed now, obviously, but it might not have been back during the direct.

Hell Sakurai just gave us a PoTD of content just recently finished that he didn't think would get finished (the ZSS costumes).
Sammy's costumes were unveiled when they were finished, not before. We did not know about ANY aspect of the game that wasn't fully functional, Sakurai only revealed things when they were finalized. Even though the Mushroom Kingdom U stage was available to the public despite being incomplete, Nabbit was never mentioned to be part of it until it was implemented. If Ridley was programmed to cast a functional shadow, surely much more important things like his actual gameplay must have been finished before that. Its a bad idea to unveil things that you don't know if they'll work. And lets not forget that playable characters were unveiled with horrible rigging and unfinished visual effects. Its not an excuse.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
What if the stage they showed the Ridley shadow on was the FD version.. I didn't see any platforms or lava pouring from the clip. Ridley confirmed! *shot*
The FD stage is smaller than the normal version. I believe it was, in fact, the normal version of the stage that Ridley was teased on.

Sammy's costumes were unveiled when they were finished, not before. We did not know about ANY aspect of the game that wasn't fully functional, Sakurai only revealed things when they were finalized. Even though the Mushroom Kingdom U stage was available to the public despite being incomplete, Nabbit was never mentioned to be part of it until it was implemented. If Ridley was programmed to cast a functional shadow, surely much more important things like his actual gameplay must have been finished before that. Its a bad idea to unveil things that you don't know if they'll work. And lets not forget that playable characters were unveiled with horrible rigging and unfinished visual effects. Its not an excuse.
Another example is Yoshi.
To be fair though, all we have seen so far is a shadow (which already reveals jack all), and the wings did seem a bit oddly spastic, especially at the end of the clip.

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Now clearly if you couldn't tell I was being sarcastic about this comment.

I'll give you points for still not being able to tell sarcasm on the internet.
I'd like to remind you that IsmaR has slammed down on playing devil's advocate before. Please avoid this in the future.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
"gasp" ladies an gentlemen...our contestant today...is using the same excuse as the previous ones

honestly it feels like someone keeps pressing the replay button on these debates
That was worse before. At least most of the essential stuff was analysed already, but before, it was horrible.

CJReynz1492

Smash Rookie
Greetings y'all, new guy here. I've been creeping like most newcomers to the thread for quite some time, but since we only have less than a month till the fateful Japan release, or better yet a Ridley reveal trailer, I'd like to ride the wave with you guys.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
44 users, 34 guests? What is this, a Colosseum? Are you all spectators watching a bunch of internet guys arguing themselves to death? Aren't there better forms of entertainment available to you? Shoo!
Heh, doesn't it seem odd how the second a "detractor" pops in, the view count skyrockets? COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!

Edit:

Greetings y'all, new guy here. I've been creeping like most newcomers to the thread for quite some time, but since we only have less than a month till the fateful Japan release, or better yet a Ridley reveal trailer, I'd like to ride the wave with you guys.
Welcome to the thread! *Insert generic "glad to see you join" and "don't drink the water" message coming your way*

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Remember, there is always a risk when it comes to surfing on the internet. Welcome to our support thread, have fun and do not imbibe the water.

Heh, doesn't it seem odd how the second a "detractor" pops in, the view count skyrockets? COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!
We should totally monetize it.

Last edited:

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I just saw a more clear translation. I retract my previous statement. Ridley hype is still livin'!

Also, can you guys stop this pointless argument. It been done way too many times and it always ends the same way. People argue the same points, and people start to get more and more aggressive. No side will convince the other, and nobody needs the hate.
What was the more clear translation?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
What was the more clear translation?
much_treats said:
1: The land here is surrounded by lava. A floating main stage and a few small platforms makes it look like a simple stage, but it was reported that the shadow of a huge [something/being] was seen here...?

2,3: Details for the mechanics of this stage are still a mystery, but the stage's construction itself doesn't appear to be too complicated.
It might be this. For those interested.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I repeat. For over a year, we've seen nothing about Ridley but teasing. Some people here take it too far (though I think most of it is in jest.) Objectively, Ridley's status in Smash 4 has been teased for over a year with not a scale, claw, fang, or even his NAME being dropped, while every other character is either named right off the bat and subsequently confirmed/denied.

No matter what, there's obviously SOMETHING big (ha ha) going down with Ridley, and to pretend there isn't, again, smacks of self induced ignorance to force an unnecessary argument. And yes, people have a right to be a little miffed if, after a year of teasing, we get nothing worthwhile for it.

EDIT: Again, you're ignoring "good arguments" for the sake of dragging this out. Go away, or I swear, I will find a way to hit you through your router.
We have a disagreement on what constitutes a good argument in this case. You're free to rationalize a thing however you like but we have an inherent disagreement on the significance of your observation in regards to Ridley's playability.

And you didn't answer my question, which is irritating.

I thought I said this, so I'll reiterate:
You also made no attempt to answer my question and instead tried again to reiterate a point I already understand, just I don't find it viable as proof of anything in relation to Ridley's playability.

Well that's your opinion. How you would reveal things and how Sakurai wants to reveal things obviously differs.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Ok so Ridley. With all this leak craziness, I might as well post my current thoughts.

Despite the fact that I do believe in the leak, I do think Ridley has quite a bit of a chance to still be playable. I also want to say that because some of my ideas might seem to contradict it.

First things first, I don't think Ridley will get a trailer. The thing that needs to be hyped up now is a character that will mainly appeak to the people in Japan...Ridley most likely will not do that. Sure, they might think it was a good decision to appeal to western fans, but THEY need to be excited not us.

Second, I think there is a 100% of there being a Ridley boss in the Wii U version. The other M version in fact. Like me and others have said in the past it is both not impossible for there to be more then one Ridley and has some evidence with R.O.B. in brawl. Why am I certain there will be a boss Ridley? Because, everything just seems to point to there being a boss Ridley. It also just seems like too much of a twist to just start saying "Oh, Ridley was only a playable character this whole time." Kinda almost seems like straight up lying this way.

Lastly, if Ridley doesn't get in this time, I will have extreme doubts he will get in future installments. Maybe as DLC at one point for this game, but it's plain to see that Sakurai wouldn't think of Ridley as playable material at that point.

I do hope Ridley gets into this game for a couple reasons:

1. To see what he can do

2. Ridley would most likely stop a lot of people from calling this a bad roster.

3. That would also mean more character have yet to be revealed from that leak.

4. No more Ridley arguments.

D

Deleted member 245254

I don't really mind Zipzo. In fact, detractors (I wish there was a less negatively-laden word for this) did kind of help us grow, didn't they? They made the whole Ridley thing controversial, which led to more people getting interested and involved in it. They were what made the fanbase so big. Thank god for them. Besides, good solid debate helps us to hone our arguments when someone stumbles upon a hole in the argument.

I guess because, once again, he explicitly deconfirmed most characters as soon as he has shown them. It's a very solid pattern. Which of course raises the question why Sakurai hasn't done that for Ridley yet if he truly is a boss. He did it for Sablé, why not for Ridley? You can probably think of a reason, or maybe already have thought of one. Might have read over it.
But yeah, we'd point the finger at him because he basically would have decided not to tell us about the fact that our most wanted character is not playable, and instead let our hopes build up for months (a year if you count his tease at Ridley at Pyrosphere's reveal).
It's a known fact that humans like to observe patterns even where there are none. That's what this argument looks like to me.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
It's a known fact that humans like to observe patterns even where there are none. That's what this argument looks like to me.
Or there wathcing waiting to have everyone's tears when I certain something happens.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand the point in arguing over a character's chances when th game is going to be released in 3 weeks and we will most likely know the full roster in a week and a half

NeraBriscoletti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dragon_Quester72
3DS FC
0232-8277-7597
We have a disagreement on what constitutes a good argument in this case. You're free to rationalize a thing however you like but we have an inherent disagreement on the significance of your observation in regards to Ridley's playability.
Y'know, using big words doesn't make you right.

D

Deleted member 245254

If I can't read how am I on Smashboards?

I'm simply saying word your sentences correctly or it makes it very easy for people to make fun of you.
I worded quite explicitly in that post you quoted that I was referring to his playability, I made no question of his appearance in the game in some form.

Thus, it seems like you have a severe reading comprehension issue when you assert that I expressed my thoughts in a way that implied anything else. Anyone who understands English can read the post and see how I mentioned multiple times the word "playability".

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom