• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Yeah, there are event bosses in there, including Bonkers and Bulborb in videos/pictures, and people have reportedly also met Galleom in it.

Yeah, I've heard that story, but I'm going to wait for a more reliable confirmation on that before I'm going to buy that. I do think Kraid would be an awesome boss though.
The Yellow Devil is in the 3DS version, performing the same role it did on the Wii U version.

If Ridley is a boss hazard, wouldn't Sakurai want to keep the same role for him on both versions, assuming that he's not playable? Or are we actually going to see YD in Smash Run?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well, there is that video where Sakurai talks about stage bosses and shows Ridley's wing on pyrosphere. I'd say that's some pretty reliable evidence. ;)

A goomba doesn't have a better moveset than Bowser. And mostly what I've seen as "evidence" is people choosing optimism over obviousness.
  1. It was YELLOW DEVIL section, not STAGE BOSSES. FOR F**K`S SAKE, STOP SAYING THAT! Not only you of course.
  2. It was his wing.
  3. Ridley`s size is not large enough for...well...boss Ridley, especially since stage itself is very big.
  4. Ridley wasn`t disconfirmed yet, unlike Chrom, Skull Kid, Dark Samus, etc. Why he didn`t even showed him by the way? Would it be better if he would show him in action? Boss Ridley can`t have something unique like Yellow Devil for example (exploding like a smart bomb) after his death anyway, not he can have some attacks we never saw before this game.
  5. Ridley has better moveset potential than any other Space Pirate. Dark Samus does not counts because its not a part of Space Pirates.

Discussion material!
Mewtwo, Shulk (especially him), Ridley and Ganondorf look nothing like HD renders. Duh. Oh, and Ridley is using his Brawl model instead of something at least close to Other M (Boss Roidley and PC Ridley theory is bulls**t and that comes from a very loyal Ridley fan).
Oh, and Nabbit could be an AT instead of stage hazard. That wouldn`t be overpowered and very cheap compared to something that appears a lot and kills a random character by running into the "blast zone" (it was called so...right?). Making it a rare AT would make it more balanced. Also, @ Dark Dude Dark Dude , it was pointless to disconfirm Yellow Devil. It is as obvious as Mario becoming a playable character.

Last edited:

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
I don't think we gonna get ridley in smash run ,because since yellow devil are in both 3ds and wii u in the same stage,but the problem is we got only pyroshpere in wii u not 3ds so...if he cant be two pyrosphere I don't think he will be a smash run boss.

that my opinion

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The Yellow Devil is in the 3DS version, performing the same role it did on the Wii U version.

If Ridley is a boss hazard, wouldn't Sakurai want to keep the same role for him on both versions, assuming that he's not playable? Or are we actually going to see YD in Smash Run?
By the way Sakurai worded the 3DS Wily's Castle update it seems like it's only Wily's Castle and the Boxing Ring that are going to be on both versions, outside of Battlefield and FD of course, so that's not an option for Ridley since Pyrosphere won't be in it. Of course they could make another Metroid stage for him to wreck, but depending on how it looks they'll have to program an entirely new AI for him to move properly on that new stage, plus it'd get redundant if it's a new stage.

I'm not saying it'd be likely for him to be a Smash Run boss, but at least it's an option if people really want him to have major roles on both versions in the case he's not playable. I don't think he'd be it though, it doesn't seem like it's for major characters, I'd rather expect lesser characters like Kraid, Crocomire or Phantoon to pick up those roles.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
You do realise Sakurai is very well aware of the fan outcry for Ridley, correct? Why would he hide him for this long? Maybe in the direct he wasn't finished, but are you going to tell me they can't finish the boss in a few MONTHS? Nope.

This implies Ridley has no moveset potential. Hilarious.
Explain why he's about Bowser sized on a rather large stage? And hidden? And does things only a playable character would and not a boss?

Also what is the reason you do NOT want him in. I doubt you think it's because he's to big as you seem to be intelligent.
I do not personally know that Sakurai knows about the fan outcry for Ridley. But even if he does, he probably knows about other fans wanting other characters, too. Why give the Ridley supporters special treatment and not the others? That wouldn't be fair.
Well, for me personally, I can't really think of many moves for Ridley. And considering Pit lost his gliding ability, I'm assuming there won't be gliding in this game, which to me is another point against Ridley as gliding would be perfect for him.
I don't think Ridley's size has really been determined. I've seen how people came to that conclusion, but I don't know if we can really read that much into the shadows. It's hope mixed with very little evidence.
I don't see what's wrong with keeping Ridley unveiled until shortly before release. He is the most anticipated boss character.
Also, we can't say what a boss character would or would not do because we have no idea how they would program Ridley as a boss. We know how they've done it in the past, but they may want to do it differently this time.
Aw, thank you for the compliment. I know Ridley could be scaled down to an appropriate size to be playable, but I don't want to see him shrunk. I like Ridley as a large, flying boss character.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
I haven't seen him go out of his way to deconfirm Yellow Devil or Nabbit as playable characters, either.
There is so much wrong with that statement...

Here's Nabbit, who appears in the Mushroom Kingdom U stage. You can't see him, but Luigi is inside Nabbit's bag.

Pic of the day. In general, there are completely different stages in the 3DS and Wii U version, but we made Wily Castle and the special boxing ring available for both versions! We didn't forget the Yellow Devil either. There may be some small differences in the stages, such as the 3DS stage appearing to be during daylight hours.

Not to mention, Yellow Devil was a confirmed boss in the NIntendo Direct on top of the above 3DS pick confirming his role is identical to the Wii U version. And before you mention Ridley in the Direct: It was never explicitly stated that Ridley was a stage boss.
Yeah, there are event bosses in there, including Bonkers and Bulborb in videos/pictures, and people have reportedly also met Galleom in it.
Interesting...
One second is actually one year.
The second that lasts a lifetime...

Shaaaaame

SHAAAAAAAAMMMMEEEE
Could be an allergic reaction. You should really get that checked out.:awesome:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know Ridley could be scaled down to an appropriate size to be playable, but I don't want to see him shrunk. I like Ridley as a large, flying boss character.
Bad for you then, he has already been scaled down

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I do not personally know that Sakurai knows about the fan outcry for Ridley. But even if he does, he probably knows about other fans wanting other characters, too. Why give the Ridley supporters special treatment and not the others? That wouldn't be fair.
Well, for me personally, I can't really think of many moves for Ridley. And considering Pit lost his gliding ability, I'm assuming there won't be gliding in this game, which to me is another point against Ridley as gliding would be perfect for him.
I don't think Ridley's size has really been determined. I've seen how people came to that conclusion, but I don't know if we can really read that much into the shadows. It's hope mixed with very little evidence.
I don't see what's wrong with keeping Ridley unveiled until shortly before release. He is the most anticipated boss character.
Also, we can't say what a boss character would or would not do because we have no idea how they would program Ridley as a boss. We know how they've done it in the past, but they may want to do it differently this time.
Aw, thank you for the compliment. I know Ridley could be scaled down to an appropriate size to be playable, but I don't want to see him shrunk. I like Ridley as a large, flying boss character.
The reason Ridley gets noted for having support is that he is (at least in North America) the most out-cried character, other out-cried characters exist, but they fall below Ridley. Also, doesn't Charizard still glide?

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
But even if he does, he probably knows about other fans wanting other characters, too. Why give the Ridley supporters special treatment and not the others? That wouldn't be fair.

That logic makes no sense, Ridley can't be in because if he did it would be special treatment? What about Little Mac? Palutena? Those were highly requested characters and they got in? You could use the special treatment argument for any character. Someone wants Chrom? Nope he can't be because that would be special treatment? King K. Rool? Special Treatment. All your arguments use flawed logic, yet you still try to chip away and Ridley's chances in Smash, no wonder people are so happy to see you.

But for arguments sake say, special treatment, was just the amount of time spent on a character. Palutena's move set is the most diverse if you exclude Mii fighters. Captain Falcon didn't have a move set prior to Smash 64, yet he had a whole move set added for him, and even though he hasn't had any recently games, he's been in all Smash games as a playable character so far. And it isn't just those 2, like Pokemon trainer he was 3 characters in 1, I could go on but I doubt it would help.

Last edited:

Jrodt333

Smash Rookie
I just want to point out that Dark Pit and Rayman haven't been completely deconfirmed either, so the argument that Ridley is the only character that hasn't been immediately deconfirmed isn't correct, unless I'm missing something.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Thought we'd all have a good laugh.

Palutena isn't too big for Smash Bros., HOWEVER, her size has already been determined as too big. In Brawl, she was massive compared to Pit, so yes, she's too big to be playable. She will likely be a stage decoration or assist trophy.
"But they can downsize her."
Personally, downsizing a character would make me feel uncomfortable, so if I say it makes me uncomfortable, Sakurai won't do it. ESPECIALLY after her size was determined in SSBB. Now, let's talk about actual plausible characters instead of this obviously would-be overpowered and cringe looking Goddess.
Edited: Sorry bout the profanity x_x

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
View attachment 19576

Shaaaaame

SHAAAAAAAAMMMMEEEE
...it is kinda creepy...and i don`t get it...at all...
We were under his tsukuyomi genjustu. One second is actually one year.

This is how Sakurai has been teasing us. THE TORTURE!!!

Naruto confirmed?
Maybe all of you actually don`t exist...maybe i am just insane...maybe Ridley doesn`t exists and all of that was a cruel LIE?! ILLUSION?! Drugs? Milk i bought 5 years ago?..hm...maybe i shouldn`t have tried to drink it...

Yeah its your opinion and i don`t think you will change it. Oh, and:
  1. Only Pit`s gliding ability was removed. It wasn`t confirmed that everyone else lost it.
  2. Ridley shadow doesn`t changes its size a lot, like everything else and we compared it to few shadows of other characters on Pyrosphere - Mother Brain, Bowser and Mega Man. He wasn`t a lot larger than Bowser. He couldn`t be very high in the air. At least not high enough to have shadow reduce in size so much it is barely bigger/smaller than Bowser`s. There is not enough room on Pyrosphere for that and his tail wouldn`t be visible if he would be too high. So, that analysis is pretty accurate. Not 100% accurate, but close.
  3. Ridley`s behaviour is already bad for a boss character because he didn`t attacked for ~11 seconds, then jumped for no reasons. It is enough to beat Master Hand on easy mode in Melee if you know what to do. Yellow Devil, unlike Ridley if he is a boss, attacks very often. I doubt it was unfinished version because it couldn`t take so much time to do something like that with a large group of professional game developers. Either that or they are as incompetent as Vehicons (Transformers Prime) or Imperial Troopers (Star Wars).
Ridley can use his claws, tail, legs, head and wings to attack. And that is just basic stuff. He was shown to fight on the ground in Other M and he was pretty fast in that battle...but kinda sluggish. SSB Crusade already did a moveset and recently remade it or at least changed his attributes so he could be more like Ridley. I did my own moveset for him, twice, for MUGEN. And balanced at least him enough to turn him from a S tier boss character into a normal character. Well...Brawl version at least, Other M version is still kinda not balanced enough to be a normal character, it is kinda like either Meta Knight in Brawl or Falco in Melee.

Palutena isn't too big for Smash Bros., HOWEVER, her size has already been determined as too big. In Brawl, she was massive compared to Pit, so yes, she's too big to be playable. She will likely be a stage decoration or assist trophy.
Personally, downsizing a character would make me feel uncomfortable, so if I say it makes me uncomfortable, Sakurai won't do it. ESPECIALLY after her size was determined in SSBB. Now, let's talk about actual plausible characters instead of this obviously would-be overpowered and cringe looking Goddess.
Little Mac was smaller and was an AT in Brawl and Bowser was bigger. But now Little Mac is bigger and playable and Bowser is somehow smaller than he was and he stands straight now. But Ridley still can never change his size and role ever again. Even through he had a nearly perfect size in Melee, its still doesn`t counts because it was a simple cameo.
Why would they resize him for a simple cameo by the way?

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Well the thing is Ridley support list according to that one poll Nintendo made is huge, beaten only by Mega Man and Mewtwo. Like someone else said, the supported characters get deconfirmed out right, instead of teased over a year. So why the heck is Ridley the only exception? Also, shadows in the air are never smaller then the character or person. Ridley isn't bigger and is probably abit smaller then the shadow by abit. This is how the conclusion that he was Bowser sized was made. Ridley has alot more moveset potential then most people think. Even if he didn't, look at Cpt. Falcon, or Olimar. They seem alright. Most anticipated boss? That's a term? I mean, why hype a boss? Of a stage that's been confirmed almost a year? It makes no sense. Ridley just hovered there for a few seconds which a boss wouldn't do. If he was made that way solely for the direct, he's been going out of his way to keep him teased while he could show a picture one day and comment how he's a boss and be done with it. You're welcome. You're not like the mindless people going "HER DER HE BIG!" Well, okay, that's your opinion. I want him myself because I think he deserves more then just a boss, and we need more Metroid, and more villain. And I think Ridley is the perfect FIT. [HAHAHAHA okay I'll stop]

OdangoKnight

Smash Cadet
Don't know if this has been said, but I feel the reason for the Yellow Devil on the 3DS version is to complement all the bosses in Smash Run that might appear. By passing him over it'll help fill out the inevitable Boss Rush mode the game will have.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I just want to point out that Dark Pit and Rayman haven't been completely deconfirmed either, so the argument that Ridley is the only character that hasn't been immediately deconfirmed isn't correct, unless I'm missing something.
Rayman was blatanly disconfirmed. If he was playable, he would have gotten his own reveal trailer instead of a collectible trophy.

And Dark Pit would have had a Smash quote right next to his reveal if he was playable. I could probably be wrong about him though, but there's a lot of reason to doubt his inclusion.

D

Deleted member

I feel like Sakurai is smart enough to make a moveset for Ridley, I can pull movesets from my a** if I want, tbh, when I have free time, I do some movesets for characters, I'll make a Ridley one soon enough

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
He tried eating a Gamefag
I thought it was something similar to the wateh...how is he alive? Is he "the guy who lived", like Harry Potter? Or Superman, the last...um...who he was?
I feel like Sakurai is smart enough to make a moveset for Ridley, I can pull movesets from my a** if I want, tbh, when I have free time, I do some movesets for characters, I'll make a Ridley one soon enough
He obviously can`t because Ridley has no moveset potential? Captain Falcon? ROB? Mr.Game & Watch? Pfft, that doesn`t counts.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Are people actually making this a real thing?

To all the People that say he is too powerful to be playable:

look at Mewtwo in melee Ganondorf in Brawl and Palutena in Smash 4 all different Smash games too.
One is a mutated experiment gone wrong that was designed to be the most powerful pokemon
One is a Goddess
One is a evil ancient demon.

To all the people that Say he has nothing to pull for a moveset:

G&W/Fox/Falco/Wolf/Falcon/R.O.B / im sure they are more.

To All the people who say he is too BiG:
Smash aint cannon characters have changed sizes between smash games and characters have changed sizes in there own canon games.

EX: Corruption: Meta Ridley is bigger than Omega Ridley

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Edited: Sorry bout the profanity x_x
Don't forget Little Mac! He was smaller in Brawl!

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Question, why does the Soulless One get all the credit for pissing Andrea of with shipping? I started it! D':
In all seriousness though, if we get a Direct on the 6th, Ridley or bust
Oh....then I forgot to assassinate you yesterday.....but I'm feeling too sleepy to even try....and Souless is constrantly doing that...but please, don't piss me off today!

I want to get some Ridley and Roidley stuff done today!
H2A571_0D94330D992CE_000.gif

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh....then I forgeot to assassinate you yesterday.....but I'm feeling too sleepy to even try....and Souless is constrantly doing that...but please, don't piss me off today!

I want to get some Ridley and Roidley stuff done today!
View attachment 19578
Never intended to piss you off, it only happened because I fancied having a laugh. Yes, I know my British is showing

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
THEN WHY THE HELL ARE YOU HERE?! This is the SUPPORT FORUM. You do not go to the support forum of a character and say that the character in question should not be playable. that is just stupid.....

Why is Ridley getting this treatment? Probrably because Ridley is a controversial character, and the most wanted newcomer. Pit may have lost his ability to glide, but that doesn't guarantee that it is gone completely (I Kinda hope it is, Gliding screwed me over far more than it ever helped.). We cant guarantee size,but I can say for sure that that shadow is that of a playable character purely based on how it's animated.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
So still a bit confused here, when did Nintendo/Sakurai state we'd have a direct next month? I remember the date it is supposed to happen, but where's the proof again?

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
That logic makes no sense, Ridley can't be in because if he did it would be special treatment? What about Little Mac? Palutena? Those were highly requested characters and they got in? You could use the special treatment argument for any character. Someone wants Chrom? Nope he can't be because that would be special treatment? King K. Rool? Special Treatment.
You misunderstood. Sakurai going out of his way to deconfirm Ridley and not K. Rool, Krystal, etc. would be special treatment. If he were to deconfirm Ridley, then other supporters would want their character of choice to be either confirmed or deconfirmed.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
So still a bit confused here, when did Nintendo/Sakurai state we'd have a direct next month? I remember the date it is supposed to happen, but where's the proof again?
I'm pretty sure they're bimonthy (occurs every other month) but I'm unsure whether or not we'll get one. It seems very likely as it's their last chance (and SDCC) to reveal information on the game before it releases. We're all hoping for it though!

I'm back!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
(Gliding screwed me over far more than it ever helped.).
Wait...you can actually use it? How? I can`t do that in any way other than using special that puts character in that state.
You misunderstood. Sakurai going out of his way to deconfirm Ridley and not K. Rool, Krystal, etc. would be special treatment. If he were to deconfirm Ridley, then other supporters would want their character of choice to be either confirmed or deconfirmed.
Well, then Chrom got a special treatment and everyone else didn`t. Other supporters will get their answers anyway after 3DS version of that game will be revealed, even without some kind of a special treatment. At least their characters have not been barely shown and then left in the void for a very long time.

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
THEN WHY THE HELL ARE YOU HERE?! This is the SUPPORT FORUM. You do not go to the support forum of a character and say that the character in question should not be playable. that is just stupid.....

Why is Ridley getting this treatment? Probrably because Ridley is a controversial character, and the most wanted newcomer. Pit may have lost his ability to glide, but that doesn't guarantee that it is gone completely (I Kinda hope it is, Gliding screwed me over far more than it ever helped.). We cant guarantee size,but I can say for sure that that shadow is that of a playable character purely based on how it's animated.
It's like this everywhere unfortunately. The chrom dlc thread has detractors saying how much he sucks everyday; still! It also is because Ridley is apparently to hard to imagine in smash or something, people just hate him for some reason...

Top Bottom