• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think "insulted" is a bit strong--what Ash said was is "they'll latch onto anything" and made no comment beyond that, and certainly didn't call anyone a name as you just have. Although I can understand why it might rub some people the wrong way. I actually was debating cutting that entire section from the discussion since I wasn't completely happy with how it came across (and in hindsight, I should have)--oh the joys of recording and editing podcasts at 2am.

At any rate, I wanted to apologize for the comment. I assure you it wasn't our intent to offend--particularly since "looking too deep into things" is kind of our mantra at GameXplain. But Ash is a relative newcomer (heh) to our discussions, so I'm not sure that he realized how his comment could probably be on any number of things we've discussed before :laugh:

And as I said, I really do think anything could happen. Even if that comment wasn't a hint of anything, that doesn't mean Ridley can't still be a playable character.
I wouldn't say insulted is the right word either. But Ridley fans generally are easy targets for negative behavior and more or less have a reputation as community punching bags, so that kind of comment really only makes it worse. People have been citing it word for word left and right in their harrasment and it's more than slightly frustrating.

It's not so much that it offends us as much as it's things like that that give random people an excuse or ammunition to get on our case even more.

It'd be great if you guys could be a little more careful about that in the future, though I guess that's up to you guys.

EDIT: Yes, Andrea. Draw me telling you not to draw that.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Apology Accepted, Andre. Sorry for my behavior in the comments. in hindsight, it was probably one of the most immature things I have done in the name of Ridley fan defense. I promise it wont happen again.
Can I apologies twice?

exactly, it means you should listen to the adults. I'm glad we had this talk.

(also be careful about double posting, the mods really dislike it. you can edit replies into your previous posts like I am doing now)
I WANT MY MUMMY (Yes, I am British)

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
You can draw Majora telling you not to draw what I said, though.

exactly, it means you should listen to the adults. I'm glad we had this talk.
xD Maybe, even I don't know what does that word you used means....but if Majora told me NOT to draw that....I think I don't want to know.....hehe

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
xD Maybe, even I don't know what does that word you used means....but if Majora told me NOT to draw that....I think I don't want to know.....hehe
There's a gif of mike tyson telling two people to kiss, but mike tyson always slurs his S's as Th's, so I was pretending to be mike tyson telling them to kiss

the more you know xD

I WANT MY MUMMY (Yes, I am British)
Today I learned that Lower Norfair is in Britain

or Britain is in Lower Norfair

the more you know

Kinda separated from the proper tools, so reposts ahoy!

Replace the thin black lines with thick dark purple strokes, and you'll have your ponified Ridley.
as much as MLP isn't my cup of tea, I do like this art style, I think it fits pretty well.

Last edited:

Malle

Smash Apprentice
Actually. When I come to think about it, is there a non-ridicolous argument to why Ridley SHOULDN'T be playable?
If there are, we could make a list to see if they overweight the pros.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Actually. When I come to think about it, is there a non-ridicolous argument to why Ridley SHOULDN'T be playable?
He's too b- ...Wait. Nevermind.

In all seriousness, since any character can feasibly be made to work at the end of the day, there aren't any non-ridiculous non-opinion reasons as to why he shouldn't be playable really.

AndreaAC

There's a gif of mike tyson telling two people to kiss, but mike tyson always slurs his S's as Th's, so I was pretending to be mike tyson telling them to kiss

the more you know xD

Today I learned that Lower Norfair is in Britain

or Britain is in Lower Norfair

the more you know

as much as MLP isn't my cup of tea, I do like this art style, I think it fits pretty well.
Ohhh.. Ok...I really got freaked out when Majora told me NOT to draw that.....I thought "What did I just Liked?"....hehe

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I think "insulted" is a bit strong--what Ash said was is "they'll latch onto anything" and made no comment beyond that, and certainly didn't call anyone a name as you just have. Although I can understand why it might rub some people the wrong way. I actually was debating cutting that entire section from the discussion since I wasn't completely happy with how it came across (and in hindsight, I should have)--oh the joys of recording and editing podcasts at 2am.

At any rate, I wanted to apologize for the comment. I assure you it wasn't our intent to offend--particularly since "looking too deep into things" is kind of our mantra at GameXplain. But Ash is a relative newcomer (heh) to our discussions, so I'm not sure that he realized how his comment could probably be on any number of things we've discussed before :laugh:

And as I said, I really do think anything could happen. Even if that comment wasn't a hint of anything, that doesn't mean Ridley can't still be a playable character.
See, this is why I don't hate GameXplain. They'll actually socialize with the fanbases, unlike basically every other site where it's just like "Well...you're on our site, so **** you". Sure, we may disagree with stuff you say, but that's just the nature of journalism and opinion. Good on you at any rate for actually coming here to offer an apology, very cool of you mate.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The main obstacle against Ridley's inclusion is plain and simple, whether Sakurai believes Metroid deserves another playable rep in the series.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

I hope this comment helps people to stop complaining about gamexplain. Sure, you may not all have the exact same opinions, but gamexplain is still clearly one of the best gaming news channels on youtube (imo). It's easy for people to take little comments the wrong way.

AndreGX

Smash Rookie
Apology Accepted, Andre. Sorry for my behavior in the comments. in hindsight, it was probably one of the most immature things I have done in the name of Ridley fan defense. I promise it wont happen again.
Don't worry about it :bee:

Can I apologies twice?
Nope, I won't allow it! :grin:

Can I call you Andre the giant? I've always wanted to call someone that since the last one died, and your name fits pretty well.
Oh man, that takes me back to elementary school when my principal used to call me that all the time...

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

Just wanted to say I'm a HUGE fan of your channel. You guys are always so thorough and i have never regretted subscribing to you. I was probably just as excited and hyped for you guys when Nintendo used your rating in the Tropical Freeze promo video as you guys were :rotfl: Keep up the good work!

To make this on topic: Ridley. Yeah.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Oh man, that takes me back to elementary school when my principal used to call me that all the time...
I'm taking that as a yes

Ohhh.. Ok...I really got freaked out when Majora told me NOT to draw that.....I thought "What did I just Liked?"....hehe
You and your dirty mind. Get your head outta the gutter!

:p

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Just wanted to say I'm a HUGE fan of your channel. You guys are always so thorough and i have never regretted subscribing to you. I was probably just as excited and hyped for you guys when Nintendo used your rating in the Tropical Freeze promo video as you guys were :rotfl: Keep up the good work!

To make this on topic: Ridley. Yeah.
Ridley is secretly the owner of GameXplain. Thats why they're told to say he's just a boss, to keep their boss hidden till his time comes.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well if nothing else I still intend to use GameXplain for newcomer examination in August. I found their Pac-Man and Palutena videos pretty useful.

EDIT: Actually, I forgot about the non-international release. So probably past that too.

Man. Does this game feel ridiculously close but ridiculously far away to anyone else? Like. We've got a month before August rolls around, and then we wait around for the August direct. Then we've got less than a month past that before we finally get to see the whole roster and know RIdley's fate.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Ridley is secretly the owner of GameXplain. Thats why they're told to say he's just a boss, to keep their boss hidden till his time comes.
I mean, technically in this case, it wouldn't be lying. Ridley would be a boss.

Today I learned that Lower Norfair is in Britain or Britain is in Lower Norfair the more you know

I moved out of the UK 6 years ago, you must be mistaken with Bryyo

You'll get the hang of editing yet :p

:nervous: Um.....Yeah....I think it was.....stupid mind.....hehehe
:smirk:

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

Well said Andre. It's not often that someone apologizes for something they've said (especially on the internet). In fact, I myself apologize for jumping to conclusions about what GameXplain thinks of Ridley, so no hard feelings. My respect for your guy's channel is restored, peace.

AndreGX

Smash Rookie
but gamexplain is still clearly one of the best gaming news channels on youtube (imo). It's easy for people to take little comments the wrong way.
Awww, you guys :love:

:laugh:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I honestly don't really think an apology was necessary, although I do appreciate how humble it is to come here and apologize. We do latch onto anything, Sakurai can't even utter the word "big" anymore without people going nuts about it, it's pretty silly, but that's the fun of it. Even then I'd hardly consider it offensive anyways, but I'm pretty thick skinned anyways.

I'm not complaining over an apology mind you, I just think it's a bit silly that people got offended over something that we actually do.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
So apparently the new GameExplain video has the Smash Taunts guy as a guest, who confirmed via a Nintendo rep who should have stayed quiet that Kraid is a boss?

Can anyone confirm this for realsies?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think people are over reading what was said in the Gamexplain discussion today, they only mentioned that a rep had made a comment about it, they pretty much incidiated that's all that had about it.

And given that in Super Metroid in addition to the full size Kraid there was the smaller 'fake' Kraid they could have possibility make it work and I think it would probably would be a good fit as a Smash Run event boss.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I honestly don't really think an apology was necessary, although I do appreciate how humble it is to come here and apologize. We do latch onto anything, Sakurai can't even utter the word "big" anymore without people going nuts about it, it's pretty silly, but that's the fun of it. Even then I'd hardly consider it offensive anyways, but I'm pretty thick skinned anyways.

I'm not complaining over an apology mind you, I just think it's a bit silly that people got offended over something that we actually do.
From what I saw, it's usually done as a joke. Though people were serious about analyzing page crinkles... :\

And my main issue wasn't what they said. I wasn't offended by what they said, I just wished they hadn't said it because I thought it would ignite this spark of people hunting down Ridley supporters and citing Gamexplain about how we're nothing but nutty conspiracy theorists that latch onto everything.

And that ended up being something that completely happened. But that's more on people being jackasses than it is on Gamexplain even then.

The apology regardless was very nice of you to come here and offer.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

I mean, technically in this case, it wouldn't be lying. Ridley would be a boss.

o_____O Please not that face...I'm getting red as a tomato...SORRY! D: It was a misunderstanding! I swear!

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So apparently the new GameExplain video has the Smash Taunts guy as a guest, who confirmed via a Nintendo rep who should have stayed quiet that Kraid is a boss?

Can anyone confirm this for realsies?
Considering the supposed Smash Run bosses weren't in the demo, nope, no one can. I did notice some bigger enemies at times though, perhaps those were the ones the Nintendo rep refered to? Either way Kraid doesn't really affect Ridley, Metroid already has three ATs, having two bosses wouldn't be overkill if they don't want to give the franchsie three characters.

Also, I guess Kraid as a boss would mean Brinstar Depths isn't a returning stage, which would bum me out a bit as it's such a fun and chaotic FFA stage. I'll be happy that Kraid is in regardless though, poor fella' hasn't been in a game since 2004.

From what I saw, it's usually done as a joke. Though people were serious about analyzing page crinkles... :\

And my main issue wasn't what they said. I wasn't offended by what they said, I just wished they hadn't said it because I thought it would ignite this spark of people hunting down Ridley supporters and citing Gamexplain about how we're nothing but nutty conspiracy theorists that latch onto everything.

And that ended up being something that completely happened. But that's more on people being *******es than it is on Gamexplain even then.

The apology regardless was very nice of you to come here and offer.
That's true I suppose, but I don't blame GameXplain for that. Even when you have a big fanbase you don't always think how things you say can start a pretty nasty chain reaction. I do get the idea though.

Last edited:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Well at very least boss events are real.

But I don't think Kraid will fit as one of this (mini)bosses.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's one big Bonkers. Regardless, looking at that size I think Crocomire would fit better in that role.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Considering the supposed Smash Run bosses weren't in the demo, nope, no one can. I did notice some bigger enemies at times though, perhaps those were the ones the Nintendo rep refered to? Either way Kraid doesn't really affect Ridley, Metroid already has three ATs, having two bosses wouldn't be overkill if they don't want to give the franchsie three characters.

Also, I guess Kraid as a boss would mean Brinstar Depths isn't a returning stage, which would bum me out a bit as it's such a fun and chaotic FFA stage. I'll be happy that Kraid is in regardless though, poor fella' hasn't been in a game since 2004.

That's true I suppose, but I don't think that's on GameXplain's shoulders. Even when you have a big fanbase you don't always think how things you say can start a pretty nasty chain reaction. I do get the idea though.
If kraid is a boss in smash run, we could still have brinstar depths in hd on the wiiu version.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
o_____O Please not that face...I'm getting red as a tomato...SORRY! D: It was a misundestanding! I swear!

Anyway. I hope Smash Run is a boss. Because true story, Kraid's last game besides Nintendo Land was Metroid Zero Mission. And before that it was Melee, Super Metroid, and the original Metroid. Kraid should be appearing in more games for sure.

And really, Kraid can be a fun platforming boss in Smash Bros. I'm sure for Smash Run. :p That or they use Mini-Kraid.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
o_____O Please not that face...I'm getting red as a tomato...SORRY! D: It was a misunderstanding! I swear!
xD I don't think I could make that face in real life if I tried.

And sorry if I actually annoyed you, haha, buggin' people on the internets is how I spend my day at work.

AndreaAC

Anyway. I hope Smash Run is a boss. Because true story, Kraid's last game besides Nintendo Land was Metroid Zero Mission. And before that it was Melee, Super Metroid, and the original Metroid. Kraid should be appearing in more games for sure.

And really, Kraid can be a fun platforming boss in Smash Bros. I'm sure for Smash Run. :p That or they use Mini-Kraid.
O____O Why?!!! -___- Oh geez......THAT FACE!

I think I will draw nothing Ridley related today until I stop looking so red....

EDIT: I'm just kidding xD No problem...

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
xD I don't think I could make that face in real life if I tried.

And sorry if I actually annoyed you, haha, buggin' people on the internets is how I spend my day at work.
It's basically what my life is. I like to think I do a pretty good job. : D

But you know, wow Ridley gets a lot of attention. Like let's look at resumes here.

Ridley: Apeared in Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission, Metroid Prime Pinball, Metroid Prime Pinball, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid Other M, Nintendo Land, and all three Smash Bros. games. That's 14 releases since 1986, or once every two years.

Kraid: Appeared in Metroid, Super Metroid, Zero Mission, one Smash Bros. game, and Nintendo Land. That's... five releases since 1986, or once every five years.

Phantoon: Appeared in Super Metroid and Other M. That's two releases since 1994. Once every nine years.

Draygon AND Crocomire really: Appeared in Super Metroid. One release since 1994. Once every twenty years.

Kraid and Phantoon need more attention. Draygon is also a Space Pirate commander supposedly and should also get more attention. Crocomire's not a pirate commander, but he's pretty well known anyway and should probably get more attention as well.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
While every character fanbase has its "extremists" the Ridley sector is a rather special case. Ridley fans have suffered far more attacks and pure hatred from the general community then any other support section. After over a decade of such unacceptance it's not surprising this place tends to be on the offensive at all times even when it comes to the most insignificant and unintentionally jeering comments no matter the source.

Yes, it is uncalled for on both sides, but there come moments when some say an offhand remark about Ridley and get brutally assaulted for what they perceive to be no reason. My point is, sometimes people don't know they're dealing with a normally friendly bear who's been poked one too many times.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Well at very least boss events are real.

But I don't think Kraid will fit as one of this (mini)bosses.
This here combined with the Bulborb 'bounty' I saw in another video, I fairly confident in saying that the 'big Kremling' is likely just Krusha or someone like that. Dunno about Kraid though, like someone else said, there's a lot of narrow places in Smash Run, somebody that's notoriously a very large character would be strange to put there. Unless he only appears in certain areas and doesn't leave them. Does anyone know if the mini-bosses in Smash Run move around the map?

Top Bottom