• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
- NES Ridley
- Super Metroid Ridley
- Melee Intro Ridley
- Prime 1 Meta Ridley
- Prime 3 Meta Ridley
- Prime 3 Omega Ridley
- Fusion Grossley-X
- Zero Mission Greenley
- Brawl Dyna Bladeley
- Brawl Meta Ridley
- Other M Roidley
- Other M Mystery Creaturely
- Other M Little Birdley
- Zero Mission Mecha Ridley
- Nintendo Land Mecha Ridley
- Nintendo Land Ice-Mecha Ridley
- Zero Mission scrapped Ridley-2
- Prime 2 scrapped Dark Meta Ridley

it sure is a lot of Ridley to be sure. :awesome: And that's of course not counting for the official art variations of Super Metroid Ridley, Metroid 1 Ridley, and Other M Ridley.
You forgot NES Manual Ridley and Captain N Ridley. :awesome:

majora_787

Smash Hero
So my SSB64 player's guide arrived just now. As funny as it is to read some of the things going on in here, they don't bring attention to Ridley at any point. :p Which is fine, since that's a pretty small easter egg. Though it's not as rare as Moltres or anything.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Its hilarious that the thread died then came back to life, its official this thread is the embodiment of Ridley:denzel:

majora_787

Smash Hero
This thread will never truly die until Ridley is confirmed to be a tiny boss that moves slowly.
And presumably everyone on earth will die with that reveal, because that is seriously *that* awful of a thing to do and Sakurai should feel bad if he does that to us. I mean people complain about Dyna Bladeley, but...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So my SSB64 player's guide arrived just now. As funny as it is to read some of the things going on in here, they don't bring attention to Ridley at any point. :p Which is fine, since that's a pretty small easter egg. Though it's not as rare as Moltres or anything.
Moltres confirmed to be playable.:troll:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
When you guys said that a Nintendo rep had leaked Kraid as a boss I thought you meant on the pyrosphere :/

THANKS FOR GETTING MY HOPES UP FOR NOTHING
Forgot kraid could survive in lava till I looked it up >.<

Thought King Kihunter could be a Smash Run boss (after remembering about the Direct trophy quiz), then watched someone defeat him on youtube, the Kihunters were the main threat so makes sense why they just used them.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well theres something i should tell you guys about boss's

(Except for mini bosses)

I feel like theres only going to be 1 boss per rep.

majora_787

Smash Hero
"Ridley Ridley Something" confirmed to be the boss of Pyrosphere. Only Ridley gets to be playable.

D

Deleted member

I would like to address the "How Sakura sees Ridley" thingy:
Since the first game(SSB64), Sakurai has proved he sees Ridley as an important character as he was important enough to have a background appearence, something that was DDD representation on it, I repeat, Ridley gets the same representation as Sakurai's game main villain, what we get next? Him appearing in the Melee opening and getting a trophy(DDD got one too), he could have made a trophy of the presumably 'main villain' Mother Brain and putting her simple animation and model in the opening(Sakurai had to cut Ridley's tail, he prefered to cut his tail instead of making a brain in a jar[which, is less work than Ridley]), then in Brawl, he was chosen to be the Metroid boss, twice, unlike Mother's main villain(which Sakurai is a fan of) that didn't even get to appear in a cutscene, at this time, Dark Samus got a trophy and no sight of MB, now, we have three ATs: MB, Dark Samus and THE BABY and you're telling me Ridley, who Sakurai has presented more than any of them, is going to be drunk boss(glorified hazard), he sees Ridley as an intelligent being since Melee and only acknowledged MB now(Brawl's DS trophy also says she is like Samus in every aspect), that would be backward development, it's like if we only got Meta Knight and no DDD.
Sakurai knows how important Ridley is and even has an idea of how hewould work, being slow, and as himself said, if we don't see playable Ridley, Sakurai isn't trying hard enough

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
Well theres something i should tell you guys about boss's

(Except for mini bosses)

I feel like there's only going to be 1 boss per rep.
Ya, that's why I think that if this is true, it helps Ridley's chances greatly, especially if Yellow Devil is confirmed to be a boss. I think they would have Ridley have a boss role on both games instead of just one, plus Ridley is a much better suited for being a boss on smash run than Kraid, who is probably going to need a whole area dedicated to him for him to work.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Since the first game(SSB64), Sakurai has proved he sees Ridley as an important character as he was important enough to have a background appearence, something that was DDD representation on it, I repeat, Ridley gets the same representation as Sakurai's game main villain, what we get next? Him appearing in the Melee opening and getting a trophy(DDD got one too), he could have made a trophy of the presumably 'main villain' Mother Brain and putting her simple animation and model in the opening(Sakurai had to cut Ridley's tail, he prefered to cut his tail instead of making a brain in a jar[which, is less work than Ridley]), then in Brawl, he was chosen to be the Metroid boss, twice, unlike Mother's main villain(which Sakurai is a fan of) that didn't even get to appear in a cutscene, at this time, Dark Samus got a trophy and no sight of MB, now, we have three ATs: MB, Dark Samus and THE BABY and you're telling me Ridley, who Sakurai has presented more than any of them, is going to be drunk boss(glorified hazard), he sees Ridley as an intelligent being since Melee and only acknowledged MB now(Brawl's DS trophy also says she is like Samus in every aspect), that would be backward development, it's like if we only got Meta Knight and no DDD.
Sakurai knows how important Ridley is and even has an idea of how hewould work, being slow, and as himself said, if we don't see playable Ridley, Sakurai isn't trying hard enough
Brawl is the only game in which not making Ridley playable is at least questionable. But I chalk that up to Ridley appearing mostly as an reoccurring boss with all his backstory in a manual, so Sakurai thought that making a reoccurring boss a boss would be a good idea.

Other M expands upon Ridley's awesomeness than any other game insofar on merit of having conversations devoted to the guy. There's really no excuse to make him a boss at this point, since Saks knows there's demand for the character.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Oh dear, I think I meant to say "something something Ridley"...
Screw it, leaving it there cause it's already been quoted and it sounds silly

D

Deleted member

Ridley's definitely my top choice for a new character. If he ends up getting in, I hope most of the detractors realize how silly most of their arguments are.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ya, that's why I think that if this is true, it helps Ridley's chances greatly, especially if Yellow Devil is confirmed to be a boss. I think they would have Ridley have a boss role on both games instead of just one, plus Ridley is a much better suited for being a boss on smash run than Kraid, who is probably going to need a whole area dedicated to him for him to work.
Huh?

Isn't yellow devil a boss?

Oh by the way if ridley is a boss i could be both playable and boss

Because how to unlock ridley is beating him on the pryosphere certain ammount of times then you fight the character version.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Worth noting:

In Smash 64, Ridley had appeared in two of three Metroid games as basically a boss not more prominent than Kraid or Mother Brain. At this point it could certainly be said that Mother Brain was the villain of the series, and not Ridley.

Come Melee, nothing had changed from this point in time. Metroid Prime was right around the corner, but Metroid still more or less only had three titles to work off of, and Ridley was just a boss in two of them. I BELIEVE this is around the time the official manga was published, though.

Brawl, in 2008. Since Melee, Ridley was a boss in Metroid Fusion, the main antagonist of Metroid Prime, a boss in the remake Metroid: Zero Mission, a boss in Metroid Prime: Pinball, planned but scrapped from Metroid Prime 2, not present in Metroid Prime Hunters... Ridley went from being a major boss in 2/3 games to a storied villain in 6/9 titles. Definitely more than most Metroid characters except for Samus could attest to.

Now in 2014 with SSB4 approaching, Ridley had two boss battles in Metroid Prime 3 and was a major antagonist albeit overshadowed by Dark Samus. The Metroid Prime Trilogy was released in which Ridley definitely featured. And past that, we got Metroid: Other M, which gave a taste of Ridley and Samus' history introduced years prior in the manga. Ridley is now in 8/11 Metroid titles not counting the Trilogy edition and is most definitely a major villain.

It's really no wonder, thinking back on it, that Ridley's roles slowly escalated over time in Smash.

EDIT: His role definitely began to merit his inclusion in Brawl. At this point, Ridley's own trophies changed in nature. Compare for yourself.

(2001) The head of the Space Pirates on Zebes, Ridley soars through space on wicked wings. Ridley may look like a mindless monster, but he's actually quite intelligent. After the SR-388 incident, where Samus captured the infant Metroid, Ridley took the Space Academy by storm, annihilating the complex and taking the Metroid back.

(2008) A high-ranking official of the Space Pirates. He looks like a pterosaur but has high intelligence and a brutal nature. He plans to steal the baby Metroid from Samus for his own use. Ridley utilizes wings for a full range of flight and attacks with fireballs from his mouth and whips of his tail. As the culprit behind the murder of Samus's parents, the connections with Samus run deep.

Yep.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Worth noting:

In Smash 64, Ridley had appeared in two of three Metroid games as basically a boss not more prominent than Kraid or Mother Brain. At this point it could certainly be said that Mother Brain was the villain of the series, and not Ridley.

Come Melee, nothing had changed from this point in time. Metroid Prime was right around the corner, but Metroid still more or less only had three titles to work off of, and Ridley was just a boss in two of them. I BELIEVE this is around the time the official manga was published, though.

Brawl, in 2008. Since Melee, Ridley was a boss in Metroid Fusion, the main antagonist of Metroid Prime, a boss in the remake Metroid: Zero Mission, a boss in Metroid Prime: Pinball, planned but scrapped from Metroid Prime 2, not present in Metroid Prime Hunters... Ridley went from being a major boss in 2/3 games to a storied villain in 6/9 titles. Definitely more than most Metroid characters except for Samus could attest to.

Now in 2014 with SSB4 approaching, Ridley had two boss battles in Metroid Prime 3 and was a major antagonist albeit overshadowed by Dark Samus. The Metroid Prime Trilogy was released in which Ridley definitely featured. And past that, we got Metroid: Other M, which gave a taste of Ridley and Samus' history introduced years prior in the manga. Ridley is now in 8/11 Metroid titles not counting the Trilogy edition and is most definitely a major villain.

It's really no wonder, thinking back on it, that Ridley's roles slowly escalated over time in Smash.

EDIT: His role definitely began to merit his inclusion in Brawl. At this point, Ridley's own trophies changed in nature. Compare for yourself.

(2001) The head of the Space Pirates on Zebes, Ridley soars through space on wicked wings. Ridley may look like a mindless monster, but he's actually quite intelligent. After the SR-388 incident, where Samus captured the infant Metroid, Ridley took the Space Academy by storm, annihilating the complex and taking the Metroid back.

(2008) A high-ranking official of the Space Pirates. He looks like a pterosaur but has high intelligence and a brutal nature. He plans to steal the baby Metroid from Samus for his own use. Ridley utilizes wings for a full range of flight and attacks with fireballs from his mouth and whips of his tail. As the culprit behind the murder of Samus's parents, the connections with Samus run deep.

Yep.
Technically, though, if you think about it, in Super Metroid, Ridley IS the Main Antagonist. He's the penultimate boss of the game and the one who steals the Baby Metroid from Samus to clone Metroids, and to clone Mother Brain. If it wasn't for Ridley the events of Super Metroid would've NEVER HAPPENED.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Technically, though, if you think about it, in Super Metroid, Ridley IS the Main Antagonist. He's the penultimate boss of the game and the one who steals the Baby Metroid from Samus to clone Metroids, and to clone Mother Brain. If it wasn't for Ridley the events of Super Metroid would've NEVER HAPPENED.
This is true. But still, Ridley's track record was not nearly what it is today. Also, I forgot to mention Nintendo Land, with its mecha Ridleys and Ice Mecha Ridleys. :p

OH. Right. Not to mension Zero Mission back before Brawl basically retconned the original Metroid a slight bit to make Ridley the creator of the new final boss, showing a glimpse into his personality and intelligence.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Worth noting:

Yep.
I wish they had keep "He may look like a mindless monster" instead of "He looks like a pterosaur"....really...

majora_787

Smash Hero
It was posted earlier, but it's true. :troll: Who is going to question a twelve-foot-tall fire-breathing space dragon who likes to kill people? Not most people.

D

Deleted member

It was posted earlier, but it's true. :troll: Who is going to question a twelve-foot-tall fire-breathing space dragon who likes to kill people? Not most people.
Captain Falcon would. I don't think anyone else would though.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I would say watch Ridley show up in in smash run to troll us

but since we've seen him on pyrosphere that would just mean he's playable

woooo

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I would say watch Ridley show up in in smash run to troll us

but since we've seen him on pyrosphere that would just mean he's playable

woooo
except those are different versions. My fear is that he's a boss on pyrosphere on wiiu and a boss in smash run on 3ds.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Last edited:
Top Bottom