• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Since it seems to be story time.

Ever since I saw this in Prime1
i converted instantly.

RealTalk

images.jpeg

(seriusly don't think I have seen a more badass looking character in Nintendo before or anything gaming really :o

D

Deleted member

Ridley would be much of the game's selling point as Hyrule Warriors will be when they annonce Linebeck

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeTHCtyHqQA

Speaking of detractors, this makes me laugh.

"Miis... Pacman..."
Stopped watching it after a minute, the video made me cringe. It's one of the reasons I can't take detractors seriously, especially when they suggest one-shot, unimportant, hardly-made-a-dent-in-the-series characters aka the Metroid Prime: Hunters, over the most recurring, iconic Space Pirate "badass" villain known as Ridley. Picking them over Ridley is like picking Super Mario Bros. 2's Wart over Bowser, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's Ghirahim over Ganondorf, Kirby Adventure Wii's/Returns to Dreamland's Magolor over King Dedede... just stupid, wrong, and illogical... Silly detractors...

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
Ridley would be much of the game's selling point as Hyrule Warriors will be when they annonce Linebeck
If Agitha can get in, Linebeck should, too. And Groose.

Stopped watching it after a minute, the video made me cringe. It's one of the reasons I can't take detractors seriously, especially when they suggest one-shot, unimportant, hardly-made-a-dent-in-the-series characters aka the Metroid Prime: Hunters, over the most recurring, iconic Space Pirate "badass" villain known as Ridley. Picking them over Ridley is like picking Super Mario Bros. 2's Wart over Bowser, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's Ghirahim over Ganondorf, Kirby Adventure Wii's/Returns to Dreamland's Magolor over King Dedede... just stupid, wrong, and illogical... Silly detractors...
I find the comments he made down below even more cringeworthy. Dismisses every argument such as Sakurai's own words off as invalid.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Ugh, there's still people that see size as an issue to his inclusion and be serious about it? Sigh...

Question time.

Did you support Ridley of your own volition after the Melee trailer (Or even before that), or did it take seeing the Ridley "is too big" and general hate around Brawl or this gmae to get you on the train?

I joined around the Brawl meltdown.
When I first saw the Melee intro, I thought Ridley would be cool to see in the fray, but never took the idea too seriously. I only became a serious supporter sometime after Brawl.

Last edited:

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
I think wart showing up would be the greatest comeback since the Twinkie :joyful:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
You know there is something really stupid about that video that I noticed when I first watched it but didn't mention it neither did anyone else though surprisingly. well all of his anti Ridley videos but one thing in particular is just... (-_-) Wow...

OK he says all the people who want Ridley in have never played any metroid games before?

&

Why Ridley over the MPH Hunters?

Really? Is he sure we have never played any metroid games before?

I mean I'm not a strong argumentative person but that was extremely stupid on so many levels... A lot of what he said was but them 2 points stuck out RealBad

EDIT:

actually now I remember what was even more silly than all of that was how he mentioned everyone that he thinks is a more logical choice for a metroid choice down to naming almost all the Hunters from MPH but doesn't mention Dark Samus?

WAS WAS Wah?

but us lot ain't never played any metroid games before right?
Wow.... That's pretty mind boggling seriously they are entertainment vids to me anyway no one should take him remotely serious.

Last edited:

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
You know there is something really stupid about that video well all of his anti Ridley videos but one thing in particular is just... (-_-) Wow...

OK he says all the people who want Ridley in have never played any metroid games before?

&

I mean I'm not a strong argumentative person but that was extremely stupid on so many levels... A lot of what he said was but them 2 points stuck out RealBad

EDIT:

actually now I remember what was even more silly than all of that was how he mentioned everyone that he thinks is a more logical choice for a metroid choice down to naming almost all the Hunters from MPH but doesn't mention Dark Samus?

WAS WAS Wah?

Wow.... That's pretty mind boggling seriously there entertainment vids to me anyway no one should take him remotely serious.
I don't even bother watching those kind of videos anymore because all they do is get me worked up.
I will admit that some of the hunters like sylux or weavel would make great AT's though.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I don't even bother watching those kind of videos anymore because all they do is get me worked up.
I will admit that some of the hunters like sylux or weavel would make great AT's though.

I agree that if any of the hunters should come back should be Weavel and Sylux they have great potential expecially Sylux also they are the only 2 out of the 6 that have some backstory

I believe Samus is responsible for Weavel being split in half she messed him up in a battle I believe and he repaired himself he is some sort of high rank space pirate no?

Foggy memory?

also Sylux stole I think all his weapons and gear from the galactic federation and apparently has a hatred for Samus or so.

+ Lockjaw was so beast and sick design

Sylux for prime4!
also on a side note is there no footage of the legendary chunky Kong AT?
still shocked if true that's like one of the MPH Hunters being a AT... Crazy.. If true

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Question time.

Did you support Ridley of your own volition after the Melee trailer (Or even before that), or did it take seeing the Ridley "is too big" and general hate around Brawl or this gmae to get you on the train?

I've been a fan of Ridley ever since I got into Metroid, as he was the one who got me into Super Metroid when I saw him on the box art. But the idea of Ridley being playable in Smash first came into my head when he made a cameo appearance in SSB64, flying across Planet Zebes. I was immensely pleased, but I didn't think he would be made playable in the future.

It was until Melee's release, where he fought against Samus in the trailer, that I thought "Oh my god, Ridley's a playable character?!", and started actively supporting his inclusion when I found out he wasn't actually in the game.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Question time.

Since the Brawl days I always thought Ridley was a deserving and interesting character to add, though it wasn't until I seen the ridiculously illogical and insistent detractor arguments against him that I became a hard supporter of him.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
You know there is something really stupid about that video that I noticed when I first watched it but didn't mention it neither did anyone else though surprisingly. well all of his anti Ridley videos but one thing in particular is just... (-_-) Wow...

&

EDIT:

WAS WAS Wah?

Wow.... That's pretty mind boggling seriously they are entertainment vids to me anyway no one should take him remotely serious.
I agree. Metroid Prime Hunters characters would not have an original moveset, unlike Ridley. Ridley's savage gameplay would be nice when you have to let off steam after a hard day.

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
So has anyone thought of a potential moveset for Ridley in case I missed it? I'll be happy as long as he has a tail stab.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
SLOW DOWN SO I CAN CATCH UP PEOPLE!! GEEEZ!!

Seriously though I actually don't like that we're practically doing like 20+ pages a day, flooding the thread with mostly fluff.
It doesn't help that people are posting for the sake of "reaching page 1,000" or whatever. It really defeats the goal if posts consist of nothing but that.

@ Anthony talk -

Keep that **** out of here.

So has anyone thought of a potential moveset for Ridley in case I missed it? I'll be happy as long as he has a tail stab.
General consensus is as follows:

Specials - Plasma breath/fireballs (multiple shots/chargeable)
Command Grab/Flight
Tail Stab
"Stun" Scream or Skin Hardening (ala Other M) doubling as a reflector

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
https://www.youtube.com/v/eeTHCtyHqQA?version=3&start=51&end=52&autoplay=1
He's secretly a dog posing as a human

Anyone who played the Metroid would know how much of a important role the other bounty hunters have in Metroid prime one [/sarcasm]

I hope he does a video if Ridley is revealed as playable
Someone should slap this guy. Not because he doesn't want Ridley, but because of the way he's acting, and because of his attitude. "Ridley ****" is just plain insulting.

D

Deleted member

Someone should slap this guy. Not because he doesn't want Ridley, but because of the way he's acting, and because of his attitude. "Ridley ****" is just plain insulting.
He has an account here, if you want, you can tage him(it's the same username as his yotube channel), I don't want to start a flame war, so, I'm going to stay silent

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
He has an account here, if you want, you can tage him(it's the same username as his yotube channel)
Please don't.
I don't want to start a flame war, so, I'm going to stay silent
You don't have to be silent per se. But it's better off if you don't instigate anything/can say you had nothing to do with it.

If you guys have a problem with them, you can always take it to PMs, or actually message him on his channel.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It's the mod warning cycle.

So in a feeble attempt to change the subject; between Ridley and K. Rool who do you think would be the better character competitively in Smash if they both got in?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

So in a feeble attempt to change the subject; between Ridley and K. Rool who do you think would be the better character competitively in Smash if they both got in?
-u- Ridley....of course.....!

D

Deleted member

Ridley because air game, I fear K. Rool will be just like Bowser in the past games, big, slow and terrible projectile

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
If what we're speculating is true and Ridley does end up as the opposite of Little Mac, then I imagine he'll share the opposite problem when it comes to stages. Little Mac has been shown to be very situational, being an absolute terror on big flat stages but struggling on those that are require lots of aerial finesse. If Ridley is slow on the ground then I can see expansive stages with little to no ledges presenting a hindrance.

K. Rool I see being slow but hitting hard while relying on projectiles and having a few moves that are unexpectedly fast for a guy his size.

As for who'd be better between the two, I'd say Ridley would have the upperhand when on a stage where air game is paramount, but not so on stages with a lot of ground.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
If what we're speculating is true and Ridley does end up as the opposite of Little Mac, then I imagine he'll share the opposite problem when it comes to stages. Little Mac has been shown to be very situational, being an absolute terror on big flat stages but struggling on those that are require lots of aerial finesse. If Ridley is slow on the ground then I can see expansive stages with little to no ledges presenting a hindrance.

K. Rool I see being slow but hitting hard while relying on projectiles and having a few moves that are unexpectedly fast for a guy his size.

As for who'd be better between the two, I'd say Ridley would have the upperhand when on a stage where air game is paramount, but not so on stages with a lot of ground.
Even stages with ground wouldn't stop him from fighting in the air

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I only played some of the earlier Donkey Kong games on the gameboy, so never really cared about King K. Rool as a villain, so clearly has to be Ridley for me. When I see King K. Rool all I see is a overweight Crocodile with a hernia (nothing personal against people who want him in smash).

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

It's shaped like an owl so...
No no no. I mean big adult owlley.
Well, not BIG in that way, but you know.
EDIT so that I don't double post
Gut says Ridley will beat out K. Rool in terms of tiers, but since they are both large characters, they'll both be low tier unless the tiers are dramatically shaken with higher balance.
King Dedede is B tier in Brawl, so large characters aren't necessarily bad.
Except I ignore tier lists anyway so I'll play whatever anyway. I mained Mewtwo in Melee so...
EDIT 2: Also not sure if he counts as a large character but Wario is A tier so

Last edited:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
So we're all in agreement that Ridley being a boss would literally make Pyrosphere one of the worst stages, considering the Yellow Devil?

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Even stages with ground wouldn't stop him from fighting in the air
Even so the differences between that of a stage floating in midair and one stationed completely on the ground can have many factors. On a stage with ledges an aerial character can easily throw someone off the side, go out after them, do a meteor smash, and come back safely. That can't be done on something like a walk-off stage. Also, even if you can glide/hover/fly off the ground with ease, you're still venerable to someone shooting you down from below if the stage is mostly land.

Top Bottom