• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
So does anyone think there's a reason why Sakurai and Nintendo love showing off the Pyrosphere so much?

Except in the demos, that is.
Probably because they consider it a visually appealing stage, and totally not because it's so they can tease a majorly requested newcomer.

EDIT: Yes, and I don't get on Wariofan's case about that even though Prime 3 is like. My favorite Prime game and easily in my top three favorites. Because opinions.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Funny because I love both Fusion and Prime 3. Prime 3 is IMO as good as Prime and Zero Mission to me and a bit better than Prime 2 and Super Metroid.

Fusion is the "less good" traditional Metroid (not counting Metroid II, which I haven't played), but it still kicks Other M and Prime Hunter's asses.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I played the game and found it to be literally the most aggressively unpleasant Metroid experience I've played. At least Hunters in my opinion had redeeming qualities in that it had the Hunters, and Gorea was cool I guess. And the multiplayer was fun. IMO, Fusion's only redeeming characteristic was that it at least still starred Samus and didn't ruin that too.

That's basically it. It's one of three games that were so unpleasant to play that I got most of the way through and just stopped playing and never touched it again, so I label it like I do the other two.
Are you sure you didn't play E.T. with the label replaced?

Hidden Pixl

Smash Rookie
I'm still gonna say Ridley is a playable character until he is confirmed that he is not or until launch.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I love all the primes and fusion is still the only 2D metroid game I've played (don't hate me lol). I liked it but it felt a bit linear.

The only thing I'd hold against any Metroid game is Ridley not appearing in Prime 2 or hunters. I was gonna get other M, but when they showed off how the controls worked it really turned me off of the game and I just never bought it. I know it gets a lot of hate, but honestly, the game play just never looked attractive to me.

Prime one is still probably my favorite Metroid game. It was my first console game (came with my gamecube) and it's still probably better than most FPS campaigns out today.

(this is why we need a metroid general discussion thread)

samsparta21

Smash Ace
So you're saying that lava is both Samus' friend and has never given her trouble? Have you played a metroid game?

:p

'
Your logic dumbfounds me.

Not an enemy = friend?
Trauma = trouble?

First of all lava isn't an "enemy", Samus never fights lava, does she? Also, Ridley is the only thing to have given Samus actual trauma; trauma means a deeply distressing or disturbing experience. We've never seen Samus distressed about lava.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I like all the Metroid games I've played. Well, except for Metroid NES. Metroid Prime 3 Corruption felt short for a Prime game (I remember wandering all over the place in Prime 1 and 2), and Ridley's presence in that game felt tacked on, as if he was put in just for the sake of battling him.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I enjoyed every Metroid I've played with only two exceptions, and I don't want to count Metroid 1 fully just because I want to try Zero Mission and I think it'll be a lot better. Metroid's fun times for all like that.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Not an enemy = friend?
Trauma = trouble?

First of all lava isn't an "enemy", Samus never fights lava, does she? Also, Ridley is the only thing to have given Samus actual trauma; trauma means a deeply distressing or disturbing experience. We've never seen Samus distressed about lava have we.
I'm sorry man the internet filters out more of my sarcasm than it should. It's why I use the bender avatar. I know lava isn't an enemy or anything I was joking the whole time. It's why I put the smilies xD and :p at the end of those posts, to show my lack of seriousness.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I love all the primes and fusion is still the only 2D metroid game I've played (don't hate me lol). I liked it but it felt a bit linear.
Yeah, Metroid Fusion isn't really a good starting point for the 2D metroid games. I'd say that Super Metroid is probably the best of them, so definitely try to get your hands on that one.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I like all the Metroid games I've played. Well, except for Metroid NES. Metroid Prime 3 Corruption felt short for a Prime game (I remember wandering all over the place in Prime 1 and 2), and Ridley's presence in that game felt tacked on, as if he was put in just for the sake of battling him.
Fair, but better than excluding him entirely, imo

Yeah, Metroid Fusion isn't really a good starting point for the 2D metroid games. I'd say that Super Metroid is probably the best of them, so definitely try to get your hands on that one.
I probably own it on some console or another. You gotta understand, I have a huge game backlog, both classic games and on my steam library. It's a real problem. Every time I finish a game 3 more come out.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Prime 3 made my arm hurt and made me constantly question the game's design choices.

Other M made my brain hurt and made me constantly question the game's design choices.

Hunters made my hands and my brain hurt, and it ultimately made me give up on the game due to its poor design choices.

Prime 3 is a good bit better than the other two though, but these three would be the Metroid games I didn't enjoy all that much. Hunters is the only game in the series I put down before finishing though, I just don't feel like anything went right with it, it's definitely worse than Other M imo. Never dared the multiplayer either with those awful controls, even on the 3DS XL my hands were cramping.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
There's only one explanation for this. You are me, from the future, after travelling back in time.

Me from the future in the present, please tell us: Is Ridley playable in Smash 4?
Tsk. Why would I ruin you the surprise? :awesome:

Dear @AndreaAC and/or @ SchAlternate SchAlternate :

Could either of you do me a HUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEE favor and make a draft for our Space Mothership/Home perhaps?

I don't want to stress you out if you're really busy or something though. <3
I'll see what I can do...

Not an enemy = friend?
Trauma = trouble?

First of all lava isn't an "enemy", Samus never fights lava, does she? Also, Ridley is the only thing to have given Samus actual trauma; trauma means a deeply distressing or disturbing experience. We've never seen Samus distressed about lava.
Someone's seems to be missing the joke by ten miles. :p

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I played, from best to worst:

Super Metroid - masterpiece
Metroid Prime - masterpiece
Echoes - it's a blast, but I was never able to finish it
Corruption - pretty damn good
Other M - it wasn't that bad, but the level design made me abandon the game after a while
Hunters - simply ugly and non-functional imho

I kinda want to play Fusion and Zero Mission.

Morbi

Scavenger
I was never really a Metroid fan to be completely and utterly honest; I have been getting into it recently though. The only Metroid game(s) that I have played was the Prime Trilogy. They are great fun, my only complaint is that Ridley is not in Echoes.

I am not certain about attempting Super Metroid; it accrues high praise from everyone, but I am not a huge fan of 2D scrollers (especially difficult ones, as I am not competent at those types of games). If it is on the Eshop, I might give it a try. As for Other M, it certainty garners a lot of hatred, but I am interested, I am just not so certain about the controls. I heard that you only use the Wii Mote (so d-pad movement, *shiver*), is the game compatible with other controllers such as the Wii Classic Pro? I will probably get around to those games if that is the case as Ridley has made me a Metroid fan.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm good at enjoying games I think. There aren't a lot of games I've played that were so bad in every way that I just didn't finish them. And coincidentally they were all N64 and GBA games.

Also are you saying six pages is too big for you? :awesome:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ridley has made me a Metroid fan.
I think a good number of fans here can say the same thing, myself included.

Honestly, I didn't mind at all that Ridley wasn't in Echoes. OK, the Space Pirates probably should have mentioned his name at some point, but he wasn't necessary to the storyline. I heard rumors that he was almost going to be in the game, as someone that was corrupted by the Ing. But I didn't like that scenario, because I feel that Ridley's too badass to be taken over by a one-note villain.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I personally don't feel like the Space Pirates even needed to be in Echoes to begin with. They're just sort of there, their role in the story is never brought to a conclusion, they just kind of appear and then they're suddenly gone again. I think Ridley would have been nice to flesh out their role on Aether.

@ GraveEclipse567 GraveEclipse567 There was actually a Kraid thread at some point, but it was just trolling.

Last edited:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
I had a dream last night that I was playing as Ridley in Smash Bros....This was a dream so I don't remember all the specifics, here are some parts that stood out:

A) Ridley's height was a smidge taller than Samus and Bowser and bipedal even when slowly walking....Ridley glides while hovering above the ground as a dash animation.
(I recall Ridley's eyes meeting the top of Samus's helmet)

B) Ridley's design model was....how should I say this? BADASS! Sharp spikes protruding from his elbows, knees, wings, spine and above his eyelids....Ridley's static expression screams DIABOLICAL...looked like a Dragon from Hell.
(But since this is Smash Bros, I would LOL if I see Diabolical Ridley ram across the screen when knocked sky-high:laugh:)

C) Ridley's eyes....were serpentine (snake-like). I was confused by this...Ridley's eyes do not have visible pupils (The Brawl model kinda has pupils)...
I think I saw something like this in the dream:

Man, either I am thinking too much of Ridley or this could be a sign....
I hope it is the latter. Ridley's model was SO EPIC in the dream!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well the infamous Sal leak is looking truer in wake of E3. Overall I think it's a good roster, it solves the lack of females. Now it just needs to solve the lack of giant reptiles.

And am I insane or did the site's font just change?

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Well the infamous Sal leak is looking truer in wake of E3. Overall I think it's a good roster, it solves the lack of females. Now it just needs to love the lack of giant reptiles.

And am I insane or did the site's font just change?
Ridley (and probably K. Rool) will most likely be a secret character at this point, if he's playable. I'd love for him to be revealed at August, but I doubt it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The font did change.

lol.

I thought my PC was messed up.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Can we really stop bringing up the Sal leak and pretending it's looking more accurate? :Y It really has nothing to do with Ridley. And it's getting old to hear about it really fast.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
Are people serious when asking for Kraid as a playable character? That 3-eyed fat Godzilla wannabe is better off as a boss like Master Hand.
HE IS TOO BIG...sigh...I can't believe I said the same phrase those Ridley detractors keep throwing at us:facepalm:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Are people serious when asking for Kraid as a playable character? That 3-eyed fat Godzilla wannabe is better off as a boss like Master Hand.
HE IS TOO BIG...sigh...I can't believe I said the same phrase those Ridley detractors keep throwing at us:facepalm:
No. No one is serious when asking for Kraid.

Top Bottom