• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
There are some beautiful environments in Fusion. I would love a stage from that game in Smash ^-^

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I would just like to point out that in a 2013 Kotaku interview, Sakurai seemed to intend to create newcomer announcement videos for every single new character:

"Sakurai has focused on having video sequences that would instead potentially benefit by being spread around. This has led to the new character intro video sequences for the Villager, Mega Man, and the Wii Fit Trainer. Sakurai expressed a desire to make similar videos for all subsequent new characters."

If this is true, then there would probably not be newcomer announcement videos after the game launches. The online spoiling of unlockable newcomers by random people on the internet would be a letdown, especially when there could instead be an official, high-quality, hype-building, viral marketing video. If Ridley was spoiled online in an anticlimactic way during launch, and then his newcomer reveal trailer was released by Nintendo two weeks later, well... that would just be a dumb move.

The way that characters are being revealed is clearly being done differently than it was during pre-Brawl. If Ridley is a playable character, we will know via a character reveal trailer before the game comes out. (Unless Ridley is DLC)
I can't imagine no hidden newcomers, as many have stated before me I'll bet you see the cinematic of the hidden character right before you unlock said character.

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
No, he didn't. He said an enemy of Samus' past may appear at any second.

He did mention the trauma thing in the Japanese quote, but he never stated the enemy who caused the trauma was the ****ing stage hazard.
Dude no. The "lava is the stage hazard" thing is such a far-fetched assumption. "An enemy from Samus's past that caused her trauma" refers to Ridley. He doesn't specifically say that Ridley's the stage hazard, of course. But there's nothing to suggest it will be lava.

Last edited:

Reila

Something that doesn't involve rising acid or lava. Other than Frigate Orpheon.

Crateria from Super Metroid, other places from the Prime games, maybe also something from Fusion.

---
Frigate Orpheon was amazing. Hands down the best Metroid stage in Smash to me.
Dude no. The "lava is the stage hazard" thing is such a far-fetched assumption. "An enemy from Samus's past that caused her trauma" refers to Ridley. He doesn't specifically say that Ridley's the stage hazard, of course. But there's nothing to suggest it will be lava.
I am not a dude.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Lava is an enemy from Samus' past that has certainly given her trauma

xD

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
C'mon, dude, we've been getting Metroid 1 stages since ****ing SSB64. Can we please get something new?
I want something new, too, but it doesn't really matter what we get. It's going to follow the trend of Metroid stages: completely unrepresentative of its series as a whole, boring and rarely played. The only thing Metroid stages have going for them in Smash that's indicative of Metroid as a series is that they're extremely hostile stages.

Frigate Orpheon is the only Metroid stage that comes close, and that's just sad, when a Prime stage says more about the series than any other stage does.

Reila

Frigate Orpheon is the only Metroid stage that comes close, and that's just sad, when a Prime stage says more about the series than any other stage does.
That just shows how much better the Prime series is compared to the traditional Metroid series :p

I don't really believe that

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
That just shows how much better the Prime series is compared to the traditional Metroid series :p

I don't really believe that
Was about to lay into you 'til I noticed the smaller text. You get away with a slap on the wrist this time.

Personally, I just think that Sakurai and his team have no friggin' clue how to properly represent Metroid. It's like not a single one of them has ever played a Metroid game that isn't a Prime game. It's sad.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Prime hunters, you know, the newest handheld Metroid to be released

The Next Generation Metroid stage. Phaaze. The entire stage is made of "lava/acid" (phazon). Everyone takes damage forever. From the floor, from the walls, from the air. Damage.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Prime hunters, you know, the newest handheld Metroid to be released

The Next Generation Metroid stage. Phaaze. The entire stage is made of "lava/acid" (phazon). Everyone takes damage forever. From the floor, from the walls, from the air. Damage.
Or just, you know, everyone spawns dead.

It'd be Ridley's feeding grounds.

Reila

The 3DS deserves better than a stage based on the worst handheld Metroid game. Then again, the Wii U has a Other M stage, so it would be fitting, at least :p

majora_787

Smash Hero
The 3DS deserves better than a stage based on the worst handheld Metroid game. Then again, the Wii U has a Other M stage, so it would be fitting, at least :p
But people keep asking for Fusion stages anyway. So really I don't see your point.

Plus most of the coolest places in Prime Hunters for stages have nothing to do with lava. Like, there is no way lava or acid could ever be involved in any way for places like the bridge on arcterra or the Sylux boss room. Everyone wins.

EDIT: Actually pretty sure rotation wouldn't work either in most of them, though if they made it work in Brinstar and the Orpheon they could probably make everything rotate. I doubt they would, but.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
What is your problem with Fusion?
What do you mean what is my problem with Fusion?

EDIT: By which I mean, I don't really know what kind of answer you want from me that wouldn't be at least kind of initially apparent.

Last edited:

Reila

What if Sakurai told us that Ridley couldn't be made playable because they couldn't make the character work properly in the 3DS version? :awesome:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
It's not an 'enemy" nor has it ever given her trauma.
So you're saying that lava is both Samus' friend and has never given her trouble? Have you played a metroid game?

:p

What if Sakurai told us that Ridley couldn't be made playable because they couldn't make the character work properly in the 3DS version? :awesome:
I would throw up in my mouth a little

'please understand'

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
So you're saying that lava is both Samus' friend and has never given her trouble? Have you played a metroid game?

:p

I would throw up in my mouth a little

'please understand'
Trivia: The Varia suit isn't a thing to protect Samus from the regular and real danger Lava presents to her. It's a special friend suit so that she is safe from the extreme levels of friendliness exhibited by lava.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I would question his competency as a game developer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What do you mean what is my problem with Fusion?

EDIT: By which I mean, I don't really know what kind of answer you want from me that wouldn't be at least kind of initially apparent.
You say you hate the game, I just want to know why you hate it

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Say that leak is true which i highly doubt, sr388 could represent and pyrosphere represents ridley, it't far fetched but possible.

majora_787

Smash Hero
You say you hate the game, I just want to know why you hate it
I played the game and found it to be literally the most aggressively unpleasant Metroid experience I've played. At least Hunters in my opinion had redeeming qualities in that it had the Hunters, and Gorea was cool I guess. And the multiplayer was fun. IMO, Fusion's only redeeming characteristic was that it at least still starred Samus and didn't ruin that too.

That's basically it. It's one of three games that were so unpleasant to play that I got most of the way through and just stopped playing and never touched it again, so I label it like I do the other two.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So does anyone think there's a reason why Sakurai and Nintendo love showing off the Pyrosphere so much?

Except in the demos, that is.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I figure we all have our somewhat unpopular opinions. I pretty much feel the same way @ majora_787 majora_787 feels about Fusion, but with Prime 3 instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom