• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Could we go back to the jumping thing?

I feel that has real substance.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
View attachment 16366
"You are now a tiny and useless FLY!"

xD I don't know why I thought od this when I saw it....and yeah, that thing is Roidley.
Roidley's journal:

Today was a fun day! The Space Pirates told me jokes about how Big Bro wants to cook me from within slowly and horribly. It's perfectly natural for siblings to express their affection for one another through rough-housing! For example, when I told Big bro about rough-housing, he put his head through a monitor and screamed at me about what a worthless waste of existence I was. Such affection and love from such physical and verbal abuse!

Speaking of Big Bro, he's like a thousand feet tall now. He also has this reverberating voice thingy and is threatening to eat me. I think he just wants attention.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Because many people are expecting him to be a boss (or assert he can only be a boss), as was his previous role in Brawl, so if you want to swerve people about his inclusion and make it even more of a shock when he's seen playable (and as we seen many times before, including multiple times during that direct, Sakurai loves to do that), teasing him in a way that makes it look like he'll be a boss again will achieve that.
Makes enough sense, but i dont think we should completely rule out the possibility of other things like a dual role as well, theres no harm in keeping the thought of that possibility open.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Roidley's journal:

Today was a fun day! The Space Pirates told me jokes about how Big Bro wants to cook me from within slowly and horribly. It's perfectly natural for siblings to express their affection for one another through rough-housing! For example, when I told Big bro about rough-housing, he put his head through a monitor and screamed at me about what a worthless waste of existence I was. Such affection and love from such physical and verbal abuse!

Speaking of Big Bro, he's like a thousand feet tall now. He also has this reverberating voice thingy and is threatening to eat me. I think he just wants attention.
You just made my night! OuO I LOVE IT!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Could you recap on that?

I don't feel like going back in this thread.
At the end of the video after Ridley flies by, he does a motion in which he appears to "jump."

Basically, here's kinda how I think it goes: Ridley does a side special to get onto the main platform, and he hovers off the ground (similar to Peach's hover, but he can do it a bit longer). He flies to the left a bit after Pikachu, jumps and does another motion and that's when it cuts off.

The jump is basically the multi-jump effect that Pit, Metaknight, Kirby, and Jigglypuff have, so its more of flying. But Ridley appears to do the same thing right before the video cuts off.

A boss character wouldn't "jump" like that.

I don't know where the GIF is, but here's the video:
http://youtu.be/fb35vh33Mb8?t=59s

It'll take you to the scene in Pyrosphere when Ridley flies in. It does appear that at the start he dives left, almost as if he's coming out of a side special attack. He flies left a bit and then "jumps" off to the left.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
Sakurai said he was flooded with requests. Including requests from Reggie. Even if Sakurai is not aware of our love for the Big R, Reggie knows full well. I think he has our backs.

My Body is Ridley.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
do you think ridley not being shown at e3 kills his chance, if he was in you think then the best time to show him

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
do you think ridley not being shown at e3 kills his chance, if he was in you think then the best time to show him
Not at all, Ridley is prime secret character material, who currently has nothing to promote, so I find it very unlikely he would be revealed before launch.

If anything, us not seeing anything about Ridley improve his chances, as if he was just a boss hazard on Pyrosphere, we probably would have seen it by now.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's true. Even though I strongly disagree that being able to literally compare Ridley's shadow to another character's shadow in the exact same context "means nothing", and being able to visually compare his movement speed in the air to another character's easily identifiable movement speed "means nothing", I'd say the fact that Ridley pretty clearly suddenly moves right and jumps into the air is the most clear un-boss-like trait he has.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
You could say the same thing for King K. Rool and Mewtwo, and yet people still believe in them. Why is Ridley considered to be the double standard?

It's either this August, or September 13. So long as we don't get a PotD casually disconfirming him.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I know this is sloppy but I'm tired. I just saw this last size estimate and...

Looks like it could be right. Wouldn't even be surprised. Anyone hyped for this boss yet? I sure am not even remotely.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion

Looks like it could be right. Wouldn't even be surprised. Anyone hyped for this boss yet? I sure am not even remotely.
Well, Ridley does have to be small enough to fit through that hole up top for a boss fight.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You know what I'm guessing?

Pyrosphere is actually going to be an unlockable stage. You unlock both it and Ridley at the same time. :p

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

Probably would still be a better boss than Brawl Meta Ridley :|

Though yes it would be quite bad.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The notion of Ridley having dual-roles is something I would've believed and supported all the way during pre-Brawl, but after seeing both him and Meta-Ridley get the same treatment (despite them being treated as separate entities with Tabuu reviving them both), I just wouldn't want to set myself up for that kind of disappointment again...

You could say the same thing for King K. Rool and Mewtwo, and yet people still believe in them. Why is Ridley considered to be the double standard?
Chances are no one would have the same answer to that particular question... As far as DLC goes though it depends on what kind of roles Mewtwo and K. Rool end up having. The general consensus being that if they don't already have some kind of non-playable role in the game (boss, assist trophy, w/e), they would have a much better chance of becoming DLC than Ridley if we were to already have Stage Hazardley in the game, which kinda makes sense.

I'd still might advocate for Rids as DLC though just to continue being a good samaritan/supporter, but it's not something I would really expect to happen if he's already a hazard.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, Ridley does have to be small enough to fit through that hole up top for a boss fight.
They could always have made it bigger then, I doubt they're going to make Ridley smaller just because they don't want to scale a hole up. Heck, Ridley in his Other M size could fit through it either way, albeit he flew through it in a torpedo pose.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
Since everyone complains about Roidley's looks and the fact that Samus beaten the **** out of him in Other M; it's obvious that Ridley underwent PLASTIC SURGERY and Sakurai wants to keep Ridley's NEW LOOK hidden for a later date of the next Direct. :p

Ridley NOW (Notice the scars all over him....Dude NEEDS Plastic Surgery):

Ridley after plastic surgery:
I LOVE the concept Art...Ridley looks sexy ;) Team Ninja messed up when they decided to go with the Final Design.
......and it is possible that Ridley's new model would be a promotional to upcoming Metroid Games and Nintendo DID say that they are considering making new 2D/3D Metroid games.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo doesn't follow basic logic. The best time to show PacMan was in front of thousands watching the tournament or during the main conference, they choose to reveal him during a roundtable that nobody could watch.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Good thing Sakurai never said the Pyrosphere stage hazard caused her any trauma.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
He did, in japanese.
No, he didn't. He said an enemy of Samus' past may appear at any second.

He did mention the trauma thing in the Japanese quote, but he never stated the enemy who caused the trauma was the ****ing stage hazard.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I now want to see Ridley photoshopped onto a Trauma Center box cover art.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I now want to see Ridley photoshopped onto a Trauma Center box cover art.
Yeah, I don't know anything about trauma center or photoshop, but I know it has something to do with hospitals so I can at least make this joke:
If you lose in this version of the game, obviously medical team has vapor for brains.

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Brace yourselves.

Ridley is coming to Smash bros Wii U and 3DS as a playable character

Last edited:

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Personally I think Ridley is just too cool for smash.
Sakurai would rather people play as an out-of-place mascot for what is essentially a wii branded yoga mat, rather than an intelligent space dragon that is also a pirate.

If he winds up playable, I will buy this game in a heart beat, but when weighing up all that has been happening lately, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sakurai has been c0ckteasing us with a stage hazard.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Coolness is definitely a major factor in determining the playability of a character. That's why I'm not playable. We can only dream of the day Radley makes it into Smash.
The ice climbers were the coolest dwarfs in town, and look where that's gotten them right now.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I would just like to point out that in a 2013 Kotaku interview, Sakurai seemed to intend to create newcomer announcement videos for every single new character:

"Sakurai has focused on having video sequences that would instead potentially benefit by being spread around. This has led to the new character intro video sequences for the Villager, Mega Man, and the Wii Fit Trainer. Sakurai expressed a desire to make similar videos for all subsequent new characters."

If this is true, then there would probably not be newcomer announcement videos after the game launches. The online spoiling of unlockable newcomers by random people on the internet would be a letdown, especially when there could instead be an official, high-quality, hype-building, viral marketing video. If Ridley was spoiled online in an anticlimactic way during launch, and then his newcomer reveal trailer was released by Nintendo two weeks later, well... that would just be a dumb move.

The way that characters are being revealed is clearly being done differently than it was during pre-Brawl. If Ridley is a playable character, we will know via a character reveal trailer before the game comes out. (Unless Ridley is DLC)
You just described why i think its very very possible we get him in august.

D

Deleted member

Well since I brought up the Space Pirate Mothership thing earlier this morning, now I think we actually should design one to house all us Space Pirates. Of course, I don't want it to be just a pirate ship in Space (*cough*Bowser's Ships*cough*).

After all us Space Pirates gotta have some sophistication and modern technology! :awesome:

Also, I don't mean we need to immediately start designing everything I just mean the general exterior design.

Additionally I think that we should incorporate a Statue of Ridley on the Deck or something to signify our worship of Ridley. Maybe an Original Ridley version of this:
C: I would love to have a Ridley amiibo (they couldn't use the word Amigo for some reason?) but it makes me a little bit sad that it would look like Roidley and not Ridley,Meta or Omega...but I would love one that looked like this:
View attachment 16355

I wouldn't be able to stop watching it....
I also think there should be a pit for the Ridley Crocodiles somewhere, but that's just me.

Anyways:

Dear @ AndreaAC AndreaAC and/or @SchAlternate :

Could either of you do me a HUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEE favor and make a draft for our Space Mothership/Home perhaps?

I don't want to stress you out if you're really busy or something though. <3

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom