• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
It would be hard to trademark the word amigo, I presume? I mean, it is a very common word in Portuguese (maybe in Spanish too).

I like Roidley's design, so I would be bothered. Though a Zero Mission Ridley amiibo would be much, much better.
Amigo just means friend...so I sitll don't get why...but oh well, who cares about the name...
Ridley_zerom.jpg

I would take any of these designs over Roidley any day...but since it is a high quality figure,,,I wouldn't mind that much it looked like Roidley...

and my soft spot for Ridley's EXTREMELY COMPLEX Omega form design is growing...that is why now when I do the Ridley and Roidley "comics" Ridley has some parts that resemble it, and I'm transforming him bit by bit, and also for practice...

Last edited:

Lanog20

Smash Apprentice
It's just something that's been bugging me recently, and I never bothered to check back in this thread after that direct. I just want an answer, that's all.
Well for starters, he was never deconfirmed sooo...:dizzy:

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
Here we go again.

By the way, speaking of Kraid, I am still disappointed Meta Kraid never got to appear in the Metroid Prime series

If there is ever a Metroid Prime 4, he better appear as a boss, with this exact design:

Ugh, those chins.. But I agree, they should use that design.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
It's just something that's been bugging me recently, and I never bothered to check back in this thread after that direct. I just want an answer, that's all.
Well, his size is questionably small, his animation is choppy, and "clearly deconfirming" Ridley puts on a ton of ambiguity when you just show a shadow. The lack of any concrete information about Pyrosphere adds to the bonfire, not helped by the absence of the Pyrosphere in the E3 demo, which implies Sakurai is hiding something.

And remember when Phosphora was confirmed to be a mere trophy? Not even an Assist Trophy?

At best, Sakurai implied Ridley was a Boss CHARACTER, without actually showing the damn dragon. The total ambiguity is why I'm here.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I dunno, I just can't buy that. I mean, I'm all for Ridley being playable, and if he is, great. But that just seems like really weak reasoning to me.
Nobody wants to go through it again because we just went through three whole pages of this. Check the past few pages and see all the arguments for yourself.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
Leave, now. You're only going to get a headache out of this.
Not really, since I wasn't looking for a debate. I just wanted an answer, which I recieved. (I probably should have worded my original post better.) I used to support Ridley. You can find some posts I made putting my support for him if you look back in the thread far enough. It's just the reasons that were stated felt really weak. But hey, whatever floats their boat.

I personally think he's deconfirmed, but will put my full support next time around.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Amigo just means friend...so I sitll don't get why...but oh well, who cares about th name...
I know it means friend and that is what could make it hard to trademark. It is a simple word. Amiibo on other hand, is a play with the word amigo and... something else.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I dunno, I just can't buy that. I mean, I'm all for Ridley being playable, and if he is, great. But that just seems like really weak reasoning to me.
Theres no question that he is possibly a boss, but that doesnt rule out him having dual roles. Especially since sakurai seems to want to hide it, for whatever reason, its not like he thinks we wouldnt know who it is, so why the secrecy? It could be a toon link situation, he was directly infront of us, so many assumed the worst, but with the stigma around it, it just seems very odd even for sakurai.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Not really, since I wasn't looking for a debate. I just wanted an answer, which I recieved. I used to support Ridley. You can find some posts I made putting my support for him if you look back in the thread far enough. It's just the reasons that were stated felt really weak. But hey, whatever floats their boat.

I personally think he's deconfirmed, but will put my full support next time around.
Ridley's shadow implies he's incredibly small. Comparing it to Mother Brain's shadow makes it even more evident. His movements are wonky, not like a boss character. Right towards the end he sort of "jumps" like typical flying characters with multiple jumps would, and not at all like a boss would move. And that's just based on Ridley's shadow.

Then, for whatever reason, despite being one of the earliest stages shown off, Pyrosphere was not in the demo.

Theres no question that he is possibly a boss, but that doesnt rule out him having dual roles. Especially since sakurai seems to want to hide it, for whatever reason, its not like he thinks we wouldnt know who it is, so why the secrecy?
No, I disagree with this notion entirely. He's either a boss or he's playable, not both.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Alright; Thank you @Angelglory, for the Pyrosphere texture, you just made my night.

Behold: Ridley's largest possible size.
View attachment 16358
Honestly he looks a bit too small there, but who knows. Its hard to guess anything based on the shadow, but there's no way the shadow is anything close to his actual size, that we can guarantee.

Why cant he be both? There are multiple ridley's, with clones and all, and we know for a fact the the one seen is from other m. Its not far fetched at all
Its possible, I suppose, I just don't think its a good argument and I don't see it happening.

Reila

Why cant he be both? There are multiple ridley's, with clones and all, and we know for a fact the the one seen is from other m. Its not far fetched at all
He could be both, but I agree with Jaidyn, he is either one or the other and I am betting on playable.

Last edited:

Lanog20

Smash Apprentice
I know it means friend and that is what could make it hard to trademark. It is a simple word. Amiibo on other hand, is a play with the word amigo and... something else.
Amiibo
Ami means friend in French
Aibou means partner in Japanese (People sometimes use "bo" the slang term)
A-Mii-Bo
It can be interpreted in different ways.

Last edited:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
The only way I could see being both would be if one were normal Ridley while the other would be Meta-Ridley.
Actually Ridley, Meta-Ridley and Omega-Ridley are the same being. Other M Ridley and Neo-Ridley are a clone of the original Ridley.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
He could be both, but as I agree with Jaidyn, he is either one or the other and I am betting on playable.
Then why did they waste the time hinting at him during the direct portion about boss characters? Why even show anything if he was only gonna be playable and nothing else? They might as well have not shown a damn thing.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
Then why did they waste the time hinting at him during the direct portion about boss characters? Why even show anything if he was only gonna be playable and nothing else? They might as well have not shown a damn thing.
If he didnt, would we be here today? Its called hype. And were all on that train....no safety latch..no brakes...rails could give oput at any moment. But none of us care. Our hype level is too damn high.

D

Deleted member 245254

Is the color of the piece of his tail shown in the direct clip consistent with the color of the tail of the version of Ridley that people assume is making an appearance?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Honestly he looks a bit too small there, but who knows. Its hard to guess anything based on the shadow, but there's no way the shadow is anything close to his actual size, that we can guarantee.
Well, in my opinion, it's really hard to distort the shadow of his tail on the bottom pic. And I doubt it'd get skinnier.
pikachuley.png

Reila

Who said he hinted Ridley as a boss character? That is how you are choosing to interpret it. Again, he said other boss characters would make an appearance in Smash 4. Ridley is a boss character. Even if he is playable in Smash, Ridley will always be known as a boss character. He never said or hinted that Ridley would be a boss in said game.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Actually Ridley, Meta-Ridley and Omega-Ridley are the same being. Other M Ridley and Neo-Ridley are a clone of the original Ridley.
I believe he meant them being apparently separate entities in Smash. Tabuu did "revive" both Ridley and Meta Ridley.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Is the color of the piece of his tail shown in the direct clip consistent with the color of the tail of the version of Ridley that people assume is making an appearance?
Nope.

Other M Ridley's tail is pure bone-white.

Smashley's tail has a red-to-white gradient. Not much, but hey, its something.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
If he didnt, would we be here today? Its called hype. And were all on that train....no safety latch..no brakes...rails could give oput at any moment. But none of us care. Our hype level is too damn high.
Could be false hype though too, he might screw us in the end even more by making us hold out hope. I just dont think we should rule out the possibility of multiple roles for him, i mean weve had giga bowser in melee when normal bowser was playable too.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I believe he meant them being apparently separate entities in Smash. Tabuu did "revive" both Ridley and Meta Ridley.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Also, I'd like to point out something as well:

In Injustice: Gods Among Us, Doomsday is both playable and in the background of the Fortress of Solitude. Even if you're playing as Doomsday in that level, he's still in the background.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
Coloring is very similar. The defining evidence as to which ridley would be the bone tip. That is a trait of Other M Ridley. He is the most recent Ridley...and the ugliest in my opinion.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Just like King K. Rool and his brother Kaptain K. Rool. Smash doesn't follow the canon.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Because many people are expecting him to be a boss (or assert he can only be a boss), as was his previous role in Brawl, so if you want to swerve people about his inclusion and make it even more of a shock when he's seen playable (and as we seen many times before, including multiple times during that direct, Sakurai loves to do that), teasing him in a way that makes it look like he'll be a boss again will achieve that.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Um, I think your previous examples were more accurate than this one, no offense. How could Ridley possibly be shorter than Samus?
He's crouching?

I'Unno, I based the measurements off this brick that Ridley's tail is on because I began to doubt the Pikachu shadow again.
pikachuley.png

Give me a night to sleep on it: Last time I tried redoing Ridley's size, I accidentally made him Pikachu-sized.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This is another theory I tend to go to when discussing the April Direct.

That's nice, if only for the fact that it implies that the Gematsu characters aren't the only remaining newcomers.

Top Bottom