• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Go to sleep for 8 hours, wake up and find an extra 9 pages of arguments. How terrific!

I wouldn't put too much stock in shadows. Yeah, they can tell us a little, but they can be manipulated rather easily. I wouldn't choose to believe shadows and secrets, but rather rely on the fact that, hey, Ridley hasn't been seen fully. However, the vagueness Sakurai has about Ridley as well as not mentioning him at all in the months upon months Pyrosphere has been seen is rather boggling, which is why the Ridley Dream lives on.

Now, it's true that Sakurai might not be intentionally teasing anything, but it's awfully nice for my mentality to believe otherwise.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
8 pages. 8, PAGES. Geez guys, slow down.

Roidley's journal:

Today was a fun day! The Space Pirates told me jokes about how Big Bro wants to cook me from within slowly and horribly. It's perfectly natural for siblings to express their affection for one another through rough-housing! For example, when I told Big bro about rough-housing, he put his head through a monitor and screamed at me about what a worthless waste of existence I was. Such affection and love from such physical and verbal abuse!

Speaking of Big Bro, he's like a thousand feet tall now. He also has this reverberating voice thingy and is threatening to eat me. I think he just wants attention.
Hmm, this gives me inspiration. I'm thinking of doing something like this for the thread and having Roidley record how his "Big Bro" interacts with the rest of the Smash cast.

But who to start with?

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
Did I hear "Photoshop"?

Here's something to show me love for Metroid and the series it was probably based off of, Alien.

Bonus Reggie:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Let's look at Boss characters that we know about. No, I'm not doing the whole playable boss characters thing, just the ones that are stage specific or unknown.

Yellow Devil
Long post section for Yellow Devil, so I'll compress it to a spoiler box to save the page from going too long.

Yellow Devil's first appearance was during the E3 2013 Direct:

(37:54-37:57)

Whilst this didn't mention Yellow Devil's name or its exact purpose, it wasn't exactly difficult to determine Yellow Devil's role. The footage shows that Yellow Devil makes an appearance on a specific stage with the theme from the series where the boss character originated from. No-one expected Yellow Devil to appear in the game, yet we get treated to this little teaser. It was pretty obvious that Yellow Devil was a boss character, either a boss hazard or a boss that you fight in a certain mode. Whilst Yellow Devil doesn't attack, the footage shows how he appears (but not where from).

Almost a month later, July 01 2013, Sakurai posts this PotD:

"Pic of the day. The Yellow Devil appeared in the first Mega Man game, but…?"

Yellow Devil now has its eye open, and this message gets people to guess why Sakurai cut off mid sentence. Yellow Devil appeared in Mega Man, but Wily's Castle did not. The stage is based on Wily's Castle from Mega Man 2. Yellow Devil did not appear in Mega Man 2. This shows that Sakurai isn't afraid to break canon for boss character appearances, not just sizes. Again, Yellow Devil just stands there...

...Until PotD update posted on December 12 2013:

"Pic of the day. Dismantle! Unite!! Yellow Devil!!!"

This shows one of Yellow Devil's attacks, as well as how it moves from one side of the stage to the other. We don't hear anything about Yellow Devil for a few months...

Time forward to April 8 2014, the Super Smash Bros. Direct:

(6:10-7:27)

During the direct, Sakurai showcases some stages in action for both versions, Yellow Devil gets a section to itself titled "Yellow Devil". Note: "Yellow Devil", not "Stage Bosses". At the start of the Yellow Devil section, Sakurai gives details about the Mega Man themed stage, then he states "Let me tell you about the Yellow Devil found here". Then the background (castle) is shown and we can see yellow things fly out of it and onto the stage (the entrance we're familiar with from E3 2013, now with more detail). The footage also shows different attacks that Yellow Devil can use (whilst standing still), and Sakurai specifically states that the eye is the only place you can hit Yellow Devil, its weak spot. Following this, Sakurai details what happens once a player defeats Yellow Devil (explosion).

Then the infamous footage happens, showing Ridley's shadow on Pyrosphere and the words "Boss characters make appearances on other stages, not just this one". The US version has this spoken out in English, and the words on screen are merely "Other Boss character appearances", whilst the UK version has the "Boss characters make appearances on other stages, not just this one" in subtitles. The choice of words is actually carefully displayed/spoken, Yellow Devil (so far) seems to be the only boss character that you can attack and defeat. Plus, boss characters on other stages don't necessarily attack players, but they can cause hazards to appear (see respective boss characters to see what I mean). Months later, on June 10 2014, we see Yellow Devil and Wily's Castle at E3 2014. This is during the Super Smash Bros. Invitational, at demos at Nintendo's E3 show floor (SSB4 booth), and at Best Buy events across the US (boo, Europe didn't get this ;~; ). People had hands on experience in battling Yellow Devil, and from footage shown in the Invitational, Yellow Devil keeps appearing throughout the match, even after being defeated.

I would expect tonnes of hype for Yellow Devil as a boss, because a) he's third party, b) no-one expected it in the game, c) stage specific boss hazards are a new mechanic. Sakurai didn't tease Yellow Devil's role like he has with Ridley. Yellow Devil was shown really early, and then his actual role was specified months later. People didn't really need to speculate Yellow Devil's role, as it was pretty obvious that he wouldn't be playable, he also appeared on a Mega Man themed stage, and it was long before Sakurai confirmed the return of Assist Trophies.

Kotake and Koume (Twinrova)
The Twinrova sisters were revealed via PotD, posted on March 03 2014:

"Pic of the day. The twin grannies, Kotake and Koume, appear in Gerudo Valley! They're definitely up to no good."

Note how Sakurai specifies their names, shows the character models, and mentions the actual stage that they appear from.

These sisters don't seem to be able to be attacked and defeated like Yellow Devil, but they seem to cause hazards on the stage, such as fires and the collapsing of the bridge.

Dark Emperor
Its first appearance was in a PotD, posted on December 03 2013:

"Pic of the day. Pop quiz! Who is this monster, and where is it from? The cage may serve as a hint."

Here is a guessing game, starting speculation as to what Dark Emperor's role is in the game.

However, during the Super Smash Bros. Direct in April, we get small footage with Find Mii stage and Dark Emperor:

(4:42)

Again, Dark Emperor is shown on that specific stage, so we know it's part of that stage. Dark Emperor makes another appearance in a PotD, on May 27 2014, but appears to be in the background. This is a bit strange, as Sakurai hasn't shown off Dark Emperor much, and doesn't seem to be hyping up the character's appearance much. It's unknown if it can be attacked or cause hazards, but since it looks like it floats on the stage itself, it seems possible.

Kamek
Kamek is slightly different to those listed above, we know he's in the game, but he hasn't been shown yet. This is because in the PotD posted on June 02 2014, Sakurai posted "When Kamek casts a spell, the stage transforms drastically! That said, this is not what you would call a moving stage…" This tells us that Kamek does appear, but doesn't actually attack players. Instead, Kamek changes the locations of the battlefield, rather than have it scroll or move like with other Mario themed stages. Sakurai also stated that "…By the way, this stage will be playable in the demo version of the game for E3, a game expo that starts on June 10 in Los Angeles", which we did see during the Invitational and people who played the demos got a chance to try out the stage. People would have seen Kamek in action, unlike a certain creature we know...

Master Hand (and Crazy Hand)
A staple of the series, Master Hand is in every game thus far, and appears to be making a return in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (and likely will for Super Smash Bros. for WiiU). Master Hand will appear on Final Destination, but only in specific modes (as boss for Classic mode most likely), and not in regular 4 player matches. We don't need to know anything else about Master Hand, because we know what his role would be anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if Crazy Hand returns as well, with the same role.

Ridley
Ridley is the most controversial character out there, in regards to the Super Smash Bros. games. We know that he is in the game, but what he does is, well, not really explained. Ridley has not even been mentioned by name, only hinted at. The first clue for Ridley was when Pyrosphere was first revealed, via PotD in August 20 2013 (close to my birthday!). Sakurai posted "Pic of the day. Out of the blue, here's a new stage--the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second…", and in Japan, it mentioned "Samus' trauma". Well, we all know who caused that trauma right? It's rather obvious who Sakurai was referring to: Geothermal Power Plant (Pyrosphere), the place where you battle clone Ridley, Ridley killed Samus' parents, causing her trauma blah blah blah. What's funny is that Sakurai uses the Pyrosphere in a whole load of PotD updates between August 20 and E3 2014, yet doesn't show Ridley. Fast forward to the Super Smash Bros. Direct in April 2014, and Sakurai adds on footage (after Yellow Devil section) on the Pyrosphere, and shows a close up of Pikachu casually walking (on two legs, a bit unnatural to be honest), followed by Ridley's shadow. This is accompanied by those famous words "Boss characters make appearances on other stages, not just this one", which makes people instantly conclude that Ridley is a boss hazard, dis-confirmed, etc.

However, when we look at the pattern of character dis-confirmations, Ridley seems to stick out like a sore thumb. Dis-confirmed characters have often been named, shown, and their roles specified, either via a PotD or in footage during the Super Smash Bros. Direct. Yet for Ridley, his name has not been mentioned even once by Sakurai, only his shadow and tail tip have been shown (tail was a quick glance though) so we didn't see Ridley's actual model, and Ridley was implied to be a boss of Pyrosphere. Boss character can mean different roles: boss hazard (like Yellow Devil), cause of hazards (like Twinrova), or playable boss character. Sakurai seems to have only teased Ridley, but non-playable characters have been dis-confirmed through quick and straight to the point PotD posts and/or SSB Direct footage, and boss characters are either shown, or are mentioned by name. Has Ridley? No, not between Pyrosphere's reveal and present day. It's also strange that Wily's Castle was revealed before Pyrosphere, and Mushroom Kingdom U was shown many months after it, yet both were at E3 and Pyrosphere was absent. It seems odd to leave Pyrosphere out of it, especially if you wanted to show off a feature of boss hazard Ridley, unless there's an actual purpose for it... and perhaps there's more to it than meets the eye...

There's probably more boss characters on other stages that we don't know about, but I don't think there's that many left, to be honest.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
You know what I'm guessing?

Pyrosphere is actually going to be an unlockable stage. You unlock both it and Ridley at the same time. :p
8 pages. 8, PAGES. Geez guys, slow down.
No! ;)

Nope.

Dead serious.

I feel that it's the most important thing so far.
Ok, so here's what I think it is with the "jump". Ridley is flying, yes? Well, I've been figuring out what height he is at based on other characters. He is flying at the exact height as the top of the Mother Brain capsule, i.e., exactly level with the top platforms. It's possible that Ridley's side or up special allows him to fly on the ground, letting him use aerials while ground based. And if used in the air, it gives him extended flight time. When he goes over to the right, at the speed he's going, he stops exactly where the other platform would be, and jumps back.

Staarih

Smash Master
So, the new "stage leak", even if just a rumor and probably false, has listed SR-388 as the 3DS Metroid stage (it also has Brinstar Depths as a returning retro stage). Now, just out of speculation and curiosity, would that be a place where Ridley could show up? I personally have no idea about the location since I've yet to play Metroid games (don't kill me) so I'm just wondering.

If not, then that, again, would raise the question of how Ridley will be represented in the 3DS version (assuming that shall be the 3DS Metroid stage). Just a trophy wouldn't really do it, I feel like he needs to have a similar status between the two games.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
So, the new "stage leak", even if just a rumor and probably false, has listed SR-388 as the 3DS Metroid stage (it also has Brinstar Depths as a returning retro stage). Now, just out of speculation and curiosity, would that be a place where Ridley could show up? I personally have no idea about the location since I've yet to play Metroid games (don't kill me) so I'm just wondering.

If not, then that, again, would raise the question of how Ridley will be represented in the 3DS version (assuming that shall be the 3DS Metroid stage). Just a trophy wouldn't really do it, I feel like he needs to have a similar status between the two games.
SR-388 is the Metroid homeworld. If anything shows up as a stage boss, it'll be the Metroid Queen. Which I really want to see happen, so I'm hoping that leak is true.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

SR-388 is the planet where Metroid 2 takes place and Ridley doesn't even appear in that game, so I don't think it is a stage fitting for Ridley to show up

It is not a good stage to represent the character either.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
What do you think we're rooting him to be playable for?

Staarih

Smash Master
What do you think we're rooting him to be playable for?
Haha, and I'm totally with you on this! If Ridley doesn't have any role in the 3DS version (like being a stage hazard), that's definitely a nod towards being playable, at least in my book, since it'd be wise for him to have the same amount of spotlight in both games.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Haha, and I'm totally with you on this! If Ridley doesn't have any role in the 3DS version (like being a stage hazard), that's definitely a nod towards being playable, at least in my book, since it'd be wise for him to have the same amount of spotlight in both games.
He kind of has to have a role in the 3DS version to be playable.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
No, he didn't. He said an enemy of Samus' past may appear at any second.

He did mention the trauma thing in the Japanese quote, but he never stated the enemy who caused the trauma was the ****ing stage hazard.
There is no point into paying attention to the english quote, since its from a translator trying to make Sakurai's real quote easier to follow.
The japanese quote narrows it down to Ridley appearing in the stage and not any other enemy, in whatever role he fills.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
There is no point into paying attention to the english quote, since its from a translator trying to make Sakurai's real quote easier to follow.
The japanese quote narrows it down to Ridley appearing in the stage and not any other enemy, in whatever role he fills.
What does the japense quote says if I may ask?

DMTN

Smash Journeyman

I really want this to be true. Brinstar Dephts is my favorite stage of all time. SR-388 seems to be the most suggested 3DS Metroid stage, so it would make sense if they went with that one.
But it's probably just a rumor.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
If Brinstar Depths returns, I will cry tears of joy. The HD Kraid will be beautiful...

So I looked at the Ridley jumping GIF, and holy crap, it most definitely is him jumping. Unless the boss is so unfinished that its altitude changes are signaled by jumps...

Which, you know, is possible, but dumb.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman

Kinda strange choice for the handheld stage, considering Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission are more recent and relevant in the last years.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If we get Brinstar Depths and/or Kraid is a boss at all, that would make a lot more sense than having Ridley as a boss. Kraid was a stage hazard in freaken' melee. Now that he's got a category he deserves his time in the sun.

Hell, they could use the unused Kraid concept art for the Prime series. That'd be amazing.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Kinda strange choice for the handheld stage, considering Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission are more recent and relevant in the last years.
I'd imagine advertising Metroid 2 might be a head start on advertising an in-house remake of Metroid 2. Which, honestly, that game desperately needs.

Leak isn't real; Ferox has a different name in Japanese

welp
I don't think most of us were taking it particularly seriously, but it'll be good to keep in mind anyway, just in case information pops up between now and release that gives us reason to consider it again.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I don't know, it looks kinda silly to me, like as if a metal bowl just happened to fall on his face and he couldn't get it off and decided to roll with it.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
If Brinstar Depths returns, I will cry tears of joy. The HD Kraid will be beautiful...

So I looked at the Ridley jumping GIF, and holy crap, it most definitely is him jumping. Unless the boss is so unfinished that its altitude changes are signaled by jumps...

Where is this gift?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

Well if the leak was legit, Brinstar Depths would be in the 3DS version, so no HD Kraid for you.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
By that point it would make more sense to make a BSL stage and have SRX as a phase or something.
Personally, I'd rather see a Fusion or Zero Mission stage.

But SRX didn't have the caves! What's an SR-388 based stage without the caves?!
Could always be a transitional stage. Start out in the canyon that Samus' ship lands in, and the ship transitions to major points in Metroid 2 re-imagined, ending with a Queen Metroid boss fight. Would be neat, I think.

Similarly, could incorporate fleeing the planet at some point from the BSL crashing into SR-388 and destroying it. Who knows? Lots of openings for interesting stuff there.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
You obviously haven't entertained the thought of metal kraid vs meta ridley vs samus with a metal box.
I haven't, but Ridley's Prime design is just so strange. Look at those long, weird fingers. I feel like he wants to give me a prostate exam.

Wait a minute..

Dr. Kraid confirmed!

Last edited:
Top Bottom