• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Can we really stop bringing up the Sal leak and pretending it's looking more accurate? :Y It really has nothing to do with Ridley. And it's getting old to hear about it really fast.
Not sure of your choice of words, "pretending". Three more characters on that list given were shown that's not rock hard evidence but it's makes it look like it could possibly be the real deal.

Though it has little to do with Ridley true.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
People use the leak as fact to disprove Ridley. Which is crazy since both the leak and ridley are both speculation.
It is crazy because there is a certain blonde newcomer who wasn't mentioned in any leak. That alone makes the leak not a reliable source.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This Captain N comic always makes me laugh, considering that this was made before Kraid became the gigantic lizard-monster we all know and love.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
It is crazy because there is a certain blonde newcomer who wasn't mentioned in any leak. That alone makes the leak not a reliable source.
That doesn't make the leak itself less credible, imo, as much as confirms that even if the leak is true he doesn't know all the characters. Which means the Sal leak doesn't hurt Ridley's chances either way. As much as I dislike the leak....

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
So is the general consensus is that this will probably be the best smash game character wise if the big three King K Rool, Ridley & Mewtwo( I like calling them the 3 Kings) make it in? Hopefully not there not DLC though.

D

Deleted member

I had a dream last night that I was playing as Ridley in Smash Bros....This was a dream so I don't remember all the specifics, here are some parts that stood out:

A) Ridley's height was a smidge taller than Samus and Bowser and bipedal even when slowly walking....Ridley glides while hovering above the ground as a dash animation.
(I recall Ridley's eyes meeting the top of Samus's helmet)

B) Ridley's design model was....how should I say this? BADASS! Sharp spikes protruding from his elbows, knees, wings, spine and above his eyelids....Ridley's static expression screams DIABOLICAL...looked like a Dragon from Hell.
(But since this is Smash Bros, I would LOL if I see Diabolical Ridley ram across the screen when knocked sky-high:laugh:)

C) Ridley's eyes....were serpentine (snake-like). I was confused by this...Ridley's eyes do not have visible pupils (The Brawl model kinda has pupils)...
I think I saw something like this in the dream:

Man, either I am thinking too much of Ridley or this could be a sign....
I hope it is the latter. Ridley's model was SO EPIC in the dream!
Reminds me of my dream of seeing a trailer for Dillon (a character I don't care all that much about).
I had a strange dream a couple nights ago that started off like it was a trailer to a third Rolling Western (with a visual artstyle and narration just like the second game's trailer, which is bizarre since I never really saw the trailer until a day after the dream), which cut off to Dillon in a saloon, the sound of doors opening, the narrator goes "....this is not that story." Dillon looks up from his seat, sees himself surrounded by Mario, DK, and others (Mario and DK were the only ones I remembered), it cuts to the outside of the saloon, sounds of a fight are heard, the Smash gang are kicked out of the saloon, Dillon slowly walks out with the sound of clanking boots, then "Dillon Rolls Into Town!"
...I don't vividly remember any gameplay aside from seeing the Tunnel Attack in action.
EDIT: Wait, I remember seeing him do his rolling thing, but one move had him circle around to the side of Donkey Kong to avoid a Giant Punch and roll into him. I guess it could be described as a "donut" motion?
It was pretty cool, but I never saw something like that from what I've seen of Rolling Western (which is not much).
Doing a little more research on Dillon shows that the "donut" move I'm talking about is apparently the "Drift Attack".
.....so it exists and I didn't know it, yet somehow I dreamt it.
Could I have had a vision of the future.....?

Shouldn't take much stock into it.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Reminds me of my dream of seeing a trailer for Dillon (a character I don't care all that much about).

Shouldn't take much stock into it.
I had a dream back in the Brawl days of a fully functional Flint from Mother 3. Carried a 2x4 of wood and used it for slow, powerful attacks that hit a decent range. Honestly, looking back at it now, Flint played a lot like Ike, who at the time we didn't even know about, I think.

Also, in that same dream I dreamed that Lucas used PK Ground for one of his specials. Worked a little like DK's headbutt, sending people into the ground and doing damage, 'cept at a greater range.

Obviously, none of those things came true, but it certainly shows that dreams can be very seductive.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
The leak in and of it's self is very credible. The question is and has always been, because of Rosalina are the final 3 the only ones we get? Now then that's what I am expecting at first but since the person mentioned DLC I think that is our best chance for someone like Ridley if he isn't in the launch roster.

I have to wonder if the initial characters were finalized to have ready by launch date and a lot of focus testing and message board/miiverse lurking went into post launch DLC.

Even if he isn't in the game initially DLC is basically confirmed in my book and my hopes will keep going until we know they're are done with it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That doesn't make the leak itself less credible, imo, as much as confirms that even if the leak is true he doesn't know all the characters. Which means the Sal leak doesn't hurt Ridley's chances either way. As much as I dislike the leak....
But I didn't say it makes it less credible, I said it isn't a reliable source.

What I mean is that we shouldn't take the characters in the leak as the only newcomers left to be announced, it is clear to me that it is likely not the case.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
But I didn't say it makes it less credible, I said it isn't a reliable source.

What I mean is that we shouldn't take the characters in the leak as the only newcomers left to be announced, it is clear to me that it is likely not the case.
ah, I misinterpreted what you said then. I wholeheartedly agree with your latter statement.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So is the general consensus is that this will probably be the best smash game character wise if the big three King K Rool, Ridley & Mewtwo( I like calling them the 3 Kings) make it in? Hopefully not there not DLC though.
Newcomer-wise I think Smash has topped and did so with Brawl, it's almost impossible to beat out big shots like Wario, Dedede, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, Olimar, and we can't forget about the most requested character ever: Sonic. Meanwhile it also included middle-ground requested characters like Pit, Lucario, Ike, Wolf, Toon Link and Lucas, and the people who like whacky character choices got Zero Suit Samus, R.O.B, Pokémon Trainer, not to mention Snake who'll probably remain the biggest WTF reveal in Smash history. On top of this the majority of them were implemented well, sure there were some problems with Pokémon Trainer's gameplay design, Toon Link and Wolf being a bit too cloney for some people's preferences, but aside from those the problems the other characters had were universal for Brawl in bad balancing.

Even if we get K. Rool, Ridley and Mewtwo I don't think it's going to beat out Brawl on that front, it was so strong and packed with star power, even to the point where I'm dissapointed I'm not interested in more than 2 of the currently announced newcomers. I mean, even if I didn't get Ridley back then I still had Meta Knight, Wario, Pokémon Trainer, Ike and Dedede to look forward to as potential alts and mains, with Meta Knight being a guaranteed main from day 1. Right now it's just two potential alts in Greninja and Mega Man, so it really does rely on Ridley or I'm going to have the same main set as in Brawl. Thinking about it Brawl actually spoiled me a lot on that front.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'm about to makes some risky guesses and speculation, but here it goes.

So we all know the argument that maybe Ridley just simply wasn't "finished" at the time of the Direct and that such an idea is used for the Hazardley outcome. But what if we switch such thinking around to our favor? Let me break it down.

First, I bring up something that stuck to my mind and has been bugging me for a while. Sometime last year during the fake leak craze (but after the famous Palutena incident), there was a run of the mill fake roster list. However there was a line that stood out to me. "Ridley is playable. It was a major effort for the team."

Now clearly I'm basing this on an old long debunked leak, but I've been thinking about that sentence lately. Sakurai himself said that Ridley would be impossible, but then possible; in other words he could be done, but such a task would not be easy. So where am I getting at with this? Well, it's been established that Sakurai is blatantly teasing Ridley for something, but perhaps there is a secondary reason why we've yet to actually see the dragon.

If you look at the shadow footage carefully, it becomes evident that Ridley's animation is rather choppy and unpolished (particularly his wing flaps). Surely a stage hazard doesn't almost a year to do since everything is telegraphed, but a human-controlled character? Now that's a different story. I'm not necessarily saying that Ridley, playable or otherwise, is taking over 9 months to complete especially given that we've already seen unfinished aspects in the game (clipping being the most notable example), but there nonetheless might be more then one reason that Sakurai is leading us on like he is; for the hype, and because Ridley himself isn't/wasn't quite ready to show.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Maybe Sakurai is hyping Ridley because he was the hardest character he has ever done, and therefore, wants to hype his biggest creation?

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
It's not worth it to try and understand the logic of someone who held off on revealing Yoshi for months because he stands upright and "this is a pretty big change so we've waited to let everyone know."

YES THANK YOU MR. SAKURAI. If you blew that surprise early you would've killed my hype.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I hope I'm not the only one who sees Metroid for the NES as the outdated, horribly-aged, nearly-impossible-without-weeks-of-trial-and-error-or-a-walkthrough-mess it is.

It gave life to what is probably my favorite franchise ever, but holy goddamn is it terrible.

latetotheparty.jpeg

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

So we all know the argument that maybe Ridley just simply wasn't "finished" at the time of the Direct and that such an idea is used for the Hazardley outcome. But what if we switch such thinking around to our favor? Let me break it down.

First, I bring up something that stuck to my mind and has been bugging me for a while. Sometime last year during the fake leak craze (but after the famous Palutena incident), there was a run of the mill fake roster list. However there was a line that stood out to me. "Ridley is playable. It was a major effort for the team."

Now clearly I'm basing this on an old long debunked leak, but I've been thinking about that sentence lately. Sakurai himself said that Ridley would be impossible, but then possible; in other words he could be done, but such a task would not be easy. So where am I getting at with this? Well, it's been established that Sakurai is blatantly teasing Ridley for something, but perhaps there is a secondary reason why we've yet to actually see the dragon.

If you look at the shadow footage carefully, it becomes evident that Ridley's animation is rather choppy and unpolished (particularly his wing flaps). Surely a stage hazard doesn't almost a year to do since everything is telegraphed, but a human-controlled character? Now that's a different story. I'm not necessarily saying that Ridley, playable or otherwise, is taking over 9 months to complete especially given that we've already seen unfinished aspects in the game (clipping being the most notable example), but there nonetheless might be more then one reason that Sakurai is leading us on like he is; for the hype, and because Ridley himself isn't/wasn't quite ready to show.
I'm not an expert when it comes to exporting or remaking something on another game, but if Ridley was indeed a stage hazard, it would make sense that they would just re-purpose the Ridley boss fight from brawl in SSE, which would also not really give a excuse for the choppy animation

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If I'm ever in any sort of an emergency I'll have to remember to come back to this page

I hope I'm not the only one who sees Metroid for the NES as the outdated, horribly-aged, nearly-impossible-without-weeks-of-trial-and-error-or-a-walkthrough-mess it is.

It gave life to what is probably my favorite franchise ever, but holy goddamn is it terrible.

latetotheparty.jpeg
I agree with a few of your statements. The game is certainly outdated and quite hard. But imo I like those kinda impossible-esque experiences, oldschool nintendo games, 100%ing super meat boy, ect. I might just be a bit of a masochist.

UltimateWario

Smash Master

There is one flaw with this otherwise-solid idea.

Why would Sakurai purposely mislead us with the Ridley footage shown during the direct? If Ridley was pre-ordained as a playable, and Sakurai wanted to express that in a way that didn't give him away, why would he do it in such a way that would cause so much controversy and so many people wanting Ridley to give up on him?

Seems a bit sadistic, to me.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'm not an expert when it comes to exporting or remaking something on another game, but if Ridley was indeed a stage hazard, it would make sense that they would just re-purpose the Ridley boss fight from brawl in SSE, which would also not really give a excuse for the choppy animation

Not to mention why bother hyping what would literally be a copy/pasted asset in that case.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Maybe your idea is almost correct, but he's making a completely new version of Ridley as a boss, and he is assuming that's hype-worthy.
Even so, it's a concept recycled note-for-note from Dead or Alive: Dimensions. Sakurai really shouldn't be so proud of something so easily and lazily plagiarized, anyway.

Morbi

Scavenger

Why would Sakurai purposely mislead us with the Ridley footage shown during the direct? If Ridley was pre-ordained as a playable, and Sakurai wanted to express that in a way that didn't give him away, why would he do it in such a way that would cause so much controversy and so many people wanting Ridley to give up on him?

Misdirection; once he ambiguously alludes to Ridley in a negative light, many lose hope. So once he actually appears, they rejoice!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Even so, it's a concept recycled note-for-note from Dead or Alive: Dimensions. Sakurai really shouldn't be so proud of something so easily and lazily plagiarized, anyway.
I mean, the idea of fighting hazards in smash brothers is new, and he knows Ridley is possible. We can't view this through the eyes of metroid/ridley fans, the tint is too strong. Pretend it's game of thrones, any character can be cut.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
One thing I haven't seen people mention in this thread (and no I'm not going to waste a year reading all of it) is that all smash games have had playable characters for bosses in the classic mode. Giant DK, etc. They can just make playable Ridley Giant for the boss battle.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Maybe your idea is almost correct, but he's making a completely new version of Ridley as a boss, and he is assuming that's hype-worthy.
The main problem with a boss being hype worthy is it's just meant to be a stage hazard. If it's too flashy then it may ruin the game and I don't see Ridley adding any new mechcanics that would change up the game, without taking too much focus away from brawling each other, and would make more sense as a event/game mode boss

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

I've addressed this before. My theory is that Sakurai purposely threw a red herring at the Direct so that when Ridley is revealed (or known after launch) then the fans will be surprised since they thought he was deconfirmed previously. Maybe Sakurai is a Don Bluth fan or something?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I mean, the idea of fighting hazards in smash brothers is new, and he knows Ridley is possible. We can't view this through the eyes of metroid/ridley fans, the tint is too strong. Pretend it's game of thrones, any character can be cut.
I wouldn't go that far. The basic idea is new, yes, but it's an extremely simple concept, and one that probably could've been done as far back as the 64 days. As I've said before, they're just stage hazards that you can hit.

Although I'm certainly not arguing that Sakurai may think that so simple and boring a concept is to be "hyped", I'm just saying the dude's a little delusional for thinking something so stupid and simple is something to get excited about.

One thing I haven't seen people mention in this thread (and no I'm not going to waste a year reading all of it) is that all smash games have had playable characters for bosses in the classic mode. Giant DK, etc. They can just make playable Ridley Giant for the boss battle.
The problem is that the bosses in Smash 4 are more like the ones from Brawl, rather than the ones from Classic Mode in previous games.

Having playable Ridley just run around and hit people during Pyrosphere would be...silly.

Nevermind, this is a great idea.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

latetotheparty.jpeg
Maps that tracked your progress were key to Metroid becoming the awesome franchise it is today. Still, first game isn't bad when playing with save states, and back in the day we used to play with lots of scrap (and sometimes graph) paper. Taking notes is fun!

But yeah, Metroid isn't even my favorite "Metroidvania" on the NES. That would be Blaster Master.

Last edited:

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
What if this whole time, sakurai thought we really wanted him in as a stage hazard? And when we finally reveals him as such and he is burned at the stake,his last thoughts will be "But I thought I make everyone happy? Why are they hating me!?"

Nintendicted

Smash Cadet
You have my attention.

The zombie Palutena trophy seemed to be a direct hint at her play-ability, as far as I remember the reaction. The Goddess of Light comment doesn't seem mystical, just that she's there in the form of a big statue, so she's figuratively watching the battle. I think this is a matter of dissecting the wrong statement. Some things statements can seem a bit loaded, others not so much.

I do think it's strange that we didn't get the Pyrosphere in the demo, but it's just as easy for me to simply infer that they haven't fully ironed out the kinks in how you interact with Ridley in the stage (or how Ridley interacts with you), and they didn't want to show Pyrosphere before they had that experience fully exacted.

As for his size, this is the one point I consider to be insightful. HOWEVER...

Notice how (both in the video and in this picture for those who don't want to go see it), Pikachu lacks any kind of shadow. It's not as though he is angled to the stage in a way that he should lack one, he simply just doesn't have one where he should.

Do you know what this means? This means there's an inconsistency. You are sizing Ridley based on his Shadow, when his shadow may not even be consistent to his actual in-game size (as a boss). Clearly something is amiss in putting everything on this shadow.

You catch a brief glimpse of the texture on his (presumably) left wing, for posterity, but maybe this is a tiny fraction of the very edge of his wing? Maybe he's actually huge, and he's much higher up, forcing the shadow to be smaller than his actual size.

Furthermore, just the fact he is in the air, actually, is enough to justify that his shadow does not depict his actual size. There are a variety of factors that go in to this such as angle of the light source, the subjects distance to the slight source, and the intensity of the light source as well, but compare these.

Here we see a shadow somewhat accurately depicting the size of a human male while walking. We can assume the light source is casting on him from a (relative to the plane of earth where the human is) around a 45 degree angle. Essentially not too high up, and not too low to the horizon. The man is literally in direct contact with his shadow, as it is being cast directly under him. The frame of reference is clear, as the man is casting his shadow on a surface literally within reachable range.

This is what happens when you shine light on something that is several meters above ground at different variations...

Since Ridley's shadow is visible we can conclude that he is not a definitive example of the left bird, but you can use both to reference something very important...the shadow becomes compacted further, the higher up the target source of the shadow is from the display of its shadow.

This potentially means that depictions of his size based literally on the size of the shadow could essentially be completely unfounded and unscientific, rendering your assumptions based on the "weirdness" of his potentially small size sort of not completely bulletproof.

If you really want to just put your fingers in your ears, go ahead.

And the same goes for you.

I'm not insulting anybody. If anything I'm the one sort of being ganged up on. It's not like I didn't expect it, I just hoped you'd do it civilly.
This is just something I thought about while reading through that. I'm sure someone's probably already said this, but oh well. Shadows are static in this game, so the idea with the birds is nullified.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
What if this whole time, sakurai thought we really wanted him in as a stage hazard? And when we finally reveals him as such and he is burned at the stake,his last thoughts will be "But I thought I make everyone happy? Why are they hating me!?"
I would suggest that Sakurai be taken to a home for the mentally handicapped if he weren't able to surmise that Ridley fans aren't just satisfied by an appearance, regardless of role, of their character.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
This is just something I thought about while reading through that. I'm sure someone's probably already said this, but oh well. Shadows are static in this game, so the idea with the birds is nullified.
We've all agreed to leave the shadow topic in our past to avoid death and sickness.

Plus, we enjoy the nice vibe the thread has right now.

Page 900-904 was a scary time.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This flies in the face of the logical fact that Sakurai KNOWS numerous people want Ridley playable. He's probably known since at least Melee, the problem is that he wasn't really sure how to make Ridley work as a playable character. Like how he didn't know how to make Villager work in Brawl.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
This flies in the face of the logical fact that Sakurai KNOWS numerous people want Ridley playable. He's probably known since at least Melee, the problem is that he wasn't really sure how to make Ridley work as a playable character. Like how he didn't know how to make Villager work in Brawl.
I'm aware. Just sarcasm :)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Remember when people thought Link was now a girl?

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/06/12/aonuma-denies-female-link-rumours-says-it-was-all-in-jest/

IF it turns out Ridley is only a stage hazard and IF he knows there is a demand for playable Ridley, I'd think it's best to follow Aonuma's example and just decomfirm him already before things get out of hand.
And he should be well aware of this by now. People have even asked him about Ridley at E3 and he refused to answer. So I've heard, anyway.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
And he should be well aware of this by now. People have even asked him about Ridley at E3 and he refused to answer. So I've heard, anyway.
I haven't seen any proof he was asked. I know at the round table he was asked about ice climbers in a two part question and he ignored the ice climber part.

Top Bottom