• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
I honestly thought Ridley was female, honestly. Let's look at the stats:

* Extremely persistent.
* Always comes back for more.
* Sharp claws.
* Screeches like a harpy.
* Always trying to grab/is grabbing Samus to deal damage (you ever see women fight?).
* Works with Mother Brain.
* Orders around men to do her bidding.

Like a space age Cleopatra, but only hot for her species' standards. :troll:

Gonna catch so much flak for this.
I am sure the space pirates are genderless. When I say space pirates I do not mean ridley, kraid, or crocomire, I mean every space pirate related or similar or cloned from this thing:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm not even touching the gender-confusion cluster**** that is Mario. Birdo alone should be proof to never rule anything out.

As for Metroid, the person who modeled/skinned Meta Ridley was the one who referred to it as "she." Which is more than good enough for me. In all actuality, though, I feel as though all the bosses are meant to be gender-neutral, but lean towards being female. Case in point being Mother Brain (and later MB), Dark Samus (who is technically an it, but is referred to as "she/her" numerous times) and of course the Metroid Queen (Metroids themselves are modeled after Xenomorphs from Alien, yet they're shown numerous times throughout the series to be capable of asexual reproduction).

tl;dr - Ridley is whatever Sheik is supposed to be for all we care. Although that'd be one big potato.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Well, this thread just became more awkward than it should.
That's what you get for talking about the cloaca and the phallus and the urination and the copulation and all that shizzle. You're a gentleridley. Act like one.

Does anyone have a link to that dev team member calling Ridley female, though?

She could be a lesbian :[]
Lesbian is such a weird and funny-sounding word. I wonder what the person who coined it was thinking.

----

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

In animu anything can be anything.
So if anything can be anything, does that make any one thing less of a thing?

I would say anything can be anything in Nintendo games just as easily...

:502:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Alright, I'm going to try re-analyzing my shadow analysis.
First, this pic.
Ridley's legs in Other M are really stumpy. enough to fit 3-4 tails inside. So, this is likely Ridley's tail at its least distorted.
Next, the tail is roughly a quarter of this brick.

So, Ridley's size relative to the Pyrosphere is this large.

Rotate the Pyrosphere a bit, line it up with the platforms...

And remove the birds-eye view.

final Pyrosphere.png

Anyone want to help me get a better size/disprove this pic?

Khoru

Smash Champion
I'm not even touching the gender-confusion cluster**** that is Mario. Birdo alone should be proof to never rule anything out.
i mean birdo's just a trans girl
that's made pretty clear given how she's discussed in manuals and captain rainbow

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It's really odd to be walking in here and seeing a gender debate like this...

Anyway, to throw my thoughts into the discussion, Ridley's gender really doesn't come into play and theoretically you could have him be either and it wouldn't matter as much. He (or she) is still the monster that stalks Samus and never will die, that doesn't change no matter what genitals he has. However, despite that, supplementary material like the canon manga, instruction booklets, and even text/lore from the games (almost) all refer to him as male. The only case where he's referred to as female is the guy who skinned him in Prime, but since that game contradicts him it's possible that it was a mistake on his part, or it's just not regarded as canon on the broad scale of the franchise.

In short, it doesn't really matter, but based on what's been given he's probably male.

Last edited:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
He doesn't have one...I think, Ridley confirmed to be female
Ridley doesn't have "one"? Tell that to Bowser :p

Ridley is the epitome of manliness in Nintendo Villains...and by manliness, you know what I mean:smirk:

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am officially calling Ridley a she from now on. Deal with it, people. :happysheep:

majora_787

Smash Hero
First, this pic.
Ridley's legs in Other M are really stumpy. enough to fit 3-4 tails inside. So, this is likely Ridley's tail at its least distorted.

Well, that IS pretty close to Bowser's size to be sure.

Also, @Relia, I'm officially calling you Antonio Guster from now on. :3

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, what's going on here?
*sees current discussion*
EDIT: Ninja'd

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Well, this thread just became more awkward than it should.
Oh nonsense, things are only awkward if you make them awkward.

Talking about the sexual preferences of our Favorite Purple Space Dragon and other video game characters is a barrel of fun for everyone involved! :troll:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
First, this pic.

Bowser is about half height of Yellow Devil and looks pretty massive next to Mega Man. Ridley will be perfect Bowser sized.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
Ridley is male because:
1- Ridley is a masculine name (named after Ridley Scott - Director of Aliens Movies)
2- In most game manuals and the Metroid Mange, Ridley is referred as he or "Lord" [I know that in the Metroid Manga, "Sama" is a gender-neutral Japanese respect suffix but the translations have Space Pirates refer to Ridley as "Lord"]
3- 95% of fan-fictions online depict Ridley as male [The other 5 % have been confused and rendered amnesiac by that Prime 2 Dev]
4-
Just look up "Ridley Rule 34" on Google, nuff said

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
2- In most game manuals and the Metroid Mange, Ridley is referred as he or "Lord" [I know that in the Metroid Manga, "Sama" is a gender-neutral Japanese respect suffix but the translations have Space Pirates refer to Ridley as "Lord"]
This has nothing to do with Ridley, but I actually dislike when English translators gender characters who aren't gendered in the original Japanese versions. Like Hanji Zoe from Shingeki no Kyojin.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, that IS pretty close to Bowser's size to be sure.

Also, @Relia, I'm officially calling you Antonio Guster from now on. :3
...I want a Nickname too... :cry:

Inb4 everyone starts to think I'm addicted to attention, I'm not actually sad nor addicted to attention (to approval/perfection though? Yeah), I do want a catchy nickname though.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Ridley is male because:
1- Ridley is a masculine name (named after Ridley Scott - Director of Aliens Movies)
3- 95% of fan-fictions online depict Ridley as male [The other 5 % have been confused and rendered amnesiac by that Prime 2 Dev]
4-
Just look up "Ridley Rule 34" on Google, nuff said
I am not really taking this Ridley's gender discussion seriously, but... are you really using fan art and fan fiction as arguments here? xD

Also, Ridley is a perfectly fine name for females.
...I want a Nickname too... :cry:

Inb4 everyone starts to think I'm addicted to attention, I'm not actually sad nor addicted to attention (to approval/perfection though? Yeah), I do want a catchy nickname though.
Tell me the name of a game you hate and that will be your nickname. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom