• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Big Rig Randy

Smash Cadet
Is having Ridley be this big really THAT hard for people to swallow?

...I could have worded that better.
HE'S ENORMOUS.

You already have him towering over the tallest characters in the game, his hitbox would be waaaaay too big. Also, I like how you left out his EXTREMELY LONG TAIL. That'd thing consists of close to half his total length.

But worst of all, that thing really doesn't look much like Ridley at all.

That's how Ridley is supposed to look. The poor ******* you posted looks like some horrible genome testing on Ridley has taken place. Just look into his eyes, he's clearly begging for the sweet gift of death to come and take his pain away.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
HE'S ENORMOUS.

You already have him towering over the tallest characters in the game, his hitbox would be waaaaay too big. Not to mention he really doesn't look much like Ridley at all.
His hurtbox would actually be smaller then Bowser's as Ridley's body structure is much thinner. The only thing that may pose a problem to Ridley's hurtbox would his wings, which would need tweaking but certainly not undo-able.

Also, having a hitbox too big is not a good reason for a character not to be included. If we were going by that logic, then Bowser and DK would have long been gone, since they were really nothing more then huge punching bags.

And how does it not look like Ridley? Opinions on Other M Ridley aside, its a direct rip from Other M's model.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
If I were a Metroid fan, I'd be extremely offended at some of those scaled down Ridley concepts you guys are creating.

I'm not even opposed to the character being in or anything, but some of those pictures are abominations

D

Deleted member

Well now, the latest troll arrives and is already off to a "too big" of a bad start.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Well now, the latest troll arrives and is already off to a "too big" of a bad start.
You're already getting defensive and I never once said the words "too big".

I'm flattered that I am so much under your skin that you immediately resort to calling me a troll in every thread though, even without me saying anything to warrant it.

D

Deleted member

You're already getting defensive and I never once said the words "too big".

I'm flattered that I am so much under your skin that you immediately resort to calling me a troll in every thread though, even without me saying anything to warrant it.
Get over yourself.
I was talking about "Too" Big Rig Randy.

Big Rig Randy

Smash Cadet
His hitbox would actually be smaller then Bowser's as Ridley's body structure is much thinner. The only thing that may pose a problem to Ridley's hurtbox would his wings, which would need tweaking but certainly not undo-able.

Also, having a hitbox too big is not a good reason for a character not to be included. If we were going by that logic, then Bowser and DK would have long been gone, since they were really nothing more then huge punching bags.

And how does it not look like Ridley? Opinions on Other M Ridley aside, its a direct rip from Other M's model.
Well then they were on one hell of a peyote trip when they designed Ridley for Other M, that thing looks horrendous.

And maybe you haven't realized, but Bowser has been absolutely horrendous in both Melee and Brawl. He has TWO positive matchups total I believe. DK is slightly better but that's because he isn't slower than a crippled rock. Ridley's hitbox would be even LARGER, making him even more worthless of a character.

?????????????

Smash Master
And maybe you haven't realized, but Bowser has been absolutely horrendous in both Melee and Brawl. He has TWO positive matchups total I believe. DK is slightly better but that's because he isn't slower than a crippled rock. Ridley's hitbox would be even LARGER, making him even more worthless of a character.
As you yourself point out with DK, hitbox is not the be-all end-all factor against a character. You offset that disadvantage by offering more power and weight, for example. In Ridley's case, there's also the potential prospect of speed and the ability to fly.

King Dedede is large. King Dedede can fly. King Dedede matches up pretty darn well in Brawl.

Not to mention that character balancing is being much more focused in SSB4, hence the changes we've seen in Bowser thus far.

Big Rig Randy

Smash Cadet
Why be jealous of overcompensation?
Because your Prius doesn't attract the ladies

As you yourself point out with DK, hitbox is not the be-all end-all factor against a character. You offset that disadvantage by offering more power and weight, for example. In Ridley's case, there's also the potential prospect of speed and the ability to fly.
King Dedede is large. King Dedede can fly. King Dedede matches up pretty darn well in Brawl.
Not to mention that character balancing is being much more focused in SSB4, hence the changes we've seen in Bowser thus far.
Because DK/DDD's hitbox isn't completely out of control huge, like Ridley's would be. Plus DDD has that cheesy ass chaingrab.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
HE'S ENORMOUS.

You already have him towering over the tallest characters in the game, his hitbox would be waaaaay too big. Also, I like how you left out his EXTREMELY LONG TAIL. That'd thing consists of close to half his total length.

But worst of all, that thing really doesn't look much like Ridley at all.

That's how Ridley is supposed to look. The poor ******* you posted looks like some horrible genome testing on Ridley has taken place. Just look into his eyes, he's clearly begging for the sweet gift of death to come and take his pain away.
Brawl's Ridley is really poorly designed as well, so I don't see how that helps your argument. His head is too big, his eyes give him a crazy doofus face, when he's supposed to have slender eyes, and his entire body is a simple ugly pallet of light blue and lacks a lot of detail.

Other M Ridley's design is mostly terrible, so I won't argue you on that, but I will argue that not only is Other M Ridley's body type to most viable for a fighting game, but the Smash Bros. team will most definitely give his design a overhaul, same as they did with Samus. Samus suit design in Other M was worst the Ridley's design, yet look at how that turned out in Sm4sh. So I have confidence that Other M Ridley can also look good.

Well then they were on one hell of a peyote trip when they designed Ridley for Other M, that thing looks horrendous.

Also, a character's hurtbox does not make them useless in competitive play. The reason why DK and Bowser were garbage is because they have a garbage moveset, pure and simple. It had little to do with their size. Same with Ridley. If he ever got in, whether he was viable to play or not will be mostly dependent on his moveset.

If I were a Metroid fan, I'd be extremely offended at some of those scaled down Ridley concepts you guys are creating.

I'm not even opposed to the character being in or anything, but some of those pictures are abominations
Care to explain?

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Because your Prius doesn't attract the ladies

Because DK/DDD's hitbox isn't completely out of control huge, like Ridley's would be.
Ah, ah, ah, ah!

You're making an assumption about the programming of the character.

Any character's actual abilities/traits, in any crossover fighting game, are adjusted to be balanced with the other characters (ideally).

Until Ridley has been made as a playable character, it cannot be said with certainty that his hitbox would "out of control huge". Plenty of fighting games have had successful titanic characters; Ridley doesn't even scale up to MvC's Sentinel or TvC's G. Lightan.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
HE'S ENORMOUS.

Actually, he looks pretty small compared to his Other M ingame model.

Plus, who cares if he's bigger than Bowser? Since when has it been a rule that Bowser should always be the biggest character in the game?

Regardless, whether or not you like M:OM Ridley is a matter of subjectivity.

That's it, I'm going to go drink bleach.

I'll see you all in hell

... See you later, I guess...

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Don't respond to trolls guys...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Waluigi de-confirmed, alongside a rather blunt quotation. "Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle".

Expect this steaming pile of crap to be forcefully shoved down the throats of Ridley supporters for the upcoming weeks, if not months. Even worse when considering it is possibly out-of-context.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Do not confuse dissenting opinions with trolling
And don't get involved just because your friends have some very dissenting opinions.

WALUIGI CONFIRMED

While this isn't the thread for it, I did notice Miiverse seems to think Sakurai's comment disconfirmed Ridley.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Waluigi de-confirmed, alongside a rather blunt quotation. "Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle".

Expect this steaming pile of crap to be forcefully shoved down the throats of Ridley supporters for the upcoming weeks, if not months. Even worse when considering it is possibly out-of-context.
I actually feel really bad for Waluigi fans right now. While I was never much of a supporter for the guy, he didn't deserve to have such a harsh comment by Sakurai. But yeah, already I'm seeing people say that this post deconfirmed Ridley without even so much as a hint of evidence.

Just like what happened when Mother Brain was revealed to be an Assist Trophy.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yep. Comments on the pic of the day on the Miiverse include:

"So that means, just because people want Characters in, they won't be. ... Haha, sorry Ridley and Mii-Fans."

"Yeah! Well done Sakurai. Tomorrow ridley as a hazard, and it's done"

”Just Because You Try Hard, Doesnt mean you always Make it" "Ridley UNCONFIRMED!! =D"

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Quite the leap in logic there Miiverse, what's next, the shade of purple in the evening sky predicts him to be a hazard?

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
While this isn't the thread for it, I did notice Miiverse seems to think Sakurai's comment disconfirmed Ridley.
Ignoring the fact that it's Miiverse, due to his fanbase, Ridley will definitely become the most dramatic confirmation/de-confirmation of Pre-Smash 4.

Either way, it means us mods will be working overtime.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Yep. Comments on the pic of the day on the Miiverse include:

"So that means, just because people want Characters in, they won't be. ... Haha, sorry Ridley and Mii-Fans."

"Yeah! Well done Sakurai. Tomorrow ridley as a hazard, and it's done"

”Just Because You Try Hard, Doesnt mean you always Make it" "Ridley UNCONFIRMED!! =D"
...Wow. When Ridley is revealed to be playable, that will be the only time I will go on Miiverse again, just to see the looks on their faces.

Anyways, what's with their extreme dislike of Ridley in the first place? Are they simply just jealous that their preferred characters (e.g. Sonic character, DBZ character, etc.) isn't as popular and talked-about as he is? I'm honestly curious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom