• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Am I the only one who thinks Sakurai is just posting random thoughts and not building everything up to a Ridley reveal and we as his supporters instantly jump to "ohmyjeebleshementionedsizeridleyconfirmed".
Nah, you're not the only one. I wasn't that moved by the update myself, much as I wanted to be or know I should be.

If you are thinking other m, I highly doubt that sakurai will use that design for ridley since other m is a bad game and he can save money by using his old design.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
If you are thinking other m, I highly doubt that sakurai will use that design for ridley since other m is a bad game and he can save money by using his old design.
it is NOT a bad game !!!
I like everything of it ... maybe I don't like Ridley's face but his body is good for SSB4

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Other M is not a bad game, it is horrible.

Yet Sakurai used Samus' Other M design in SSB4, so itt is safe to assume he will do the same with Ridley.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
To avoid dragging this out into a discuss about other M I will simply say there is a key different between bad story and bad design. Regardless of librarties with some of the designs, they don't look horrible. Honestly since they went with the Other M design for Samus, wouldn't be surprised if they used Ridley other M design if nothing else to prevent excess design clashing.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Ridley fans, I must say we should enjoy a small victory today, and I took it upon myself to do so with a little video.

Oh yeah, SchAlternate, I borrowed your Ridley picture for the video, hope you don't mind. :p

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I think most people don't get why we are so happy right now, it's not that Ridley is confirmed, it's obvious that his fate will not be confirmed until Sakurai decides to do so.

No today we celebrate the possible death of the "too big" argumentt which have been Ridley's fans worst nightmare for years.
What did you expect us to do ? We were not just going to say okay and not talk about it ever again when the anti-Ridley side may just have lost it's most common argument against Ridley inclusion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Though at the same time, what Sakurai said is nothing different that what he said in Smash 64's questionaire about how the characters aren't up to scale due to being toys...

I suppose though that it took a modern example such as today's pic to reinforce that concept to the TooBigots.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
every time something like this gets posted my friends and I joke about Ridley being confirmed

we joke

but secretly we believe in our hearts of hearts

that the day we get to play as a space pirate robot dragon general from space becomes a reality

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Today is a great day to support Ridley
the big "too big" argument died
GOOD JOB SPACE PIRATES !!! OUR LEADER IS PROUD OF US and Sakurai !!!

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
They're already heavily basing things off of Other M, I understand not liking how Ridley looks in that game but why would they not use the design and go with the Super Metroid/Brawl one? Besides if the Other M design makes Ridley less of a hassle for the dev team to make, then go for it.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You all should go check out the r/smashbros on Reddit. The Pic of the Day post is being bombarded by TooBigotry and TooBigot Enablers, and I'd appreciate some backup in the comments section.
I try to avoid commenting on reddit, i feel it can be a large cluster**** than here sometimes. However, I'll post a single sarcastic remark, just for you.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Even if he is in he cant tell us anyway you lot do know that right?

thats why he said that doing the questiom but he already knew the deal with Mewtwo before that fan asked him at E3 im a sure hes in as i was with Little Mac.

Also can someone please link me to the video when the fan asks him?
Tryna find it on youtube but cant....thanks

Hes defentely coming back.
No I'm aware and personally I feel he has the best chance of coming back, but some level of skepticism has to be taken with every character as their status is never 100% until they're on the screen in front of us.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Ridley fans, I must say we should enjoy a small victory today, and I took it upon myself to do so with a little video.

Oh yeah, SchAlternate, I borrowed your Ridley picture for the video, hope you don't mind. :p

I can't agree with the premise of that video. To be honest, the "too big" argument itself has not been defeated. Rather, one of the choice weapons of Toobigots have been removed - the "canon size matters" argument.

Let's be honest here. Sakurai hasn't necessarily said that size doesn't matter by his statement. He's just acknowledging that sizes MAY or MAY NOT be accurate to the canon.

So let's not lower our defenses on this subject matter. The possibility is Sakurai could acknowledge Smash's many size discrepancies and STILL have in his mind that Ridley should be of a certain size that would render him ineligible to be a playable character. It isn't as easy as saying "Oh oh, Sakurai doesn't adhere to proper sizes, Ridley isn't too big!" Technically, Sakurai could still make Ridley "too big" AND inconsistent. We say this to toobigots and naysayers, but we ought to hold ourselves to the same words: We don't know what Sakurai might be thinking.

Today we got a clue, and a beneficial one at that. But I think we and everyone is overblowing the significance of Sakurai's statement. As usual... =/

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I can't agree with the premise of that video. To be honest, the "too big" argument itself has not been defeated. Rather, one of the choice weapons of Toobigots have been removed - the "canon size matters" argument.
How does that work? The Too Big argument stems from "Canon size" discussions, so if you're nullifying one, you're basically nullifying the other it's directly related to.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511

I love that music ... maybe because at the end there is word which inspired me ;)

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

I2A571_0D47A2BDA370E_002.gif

"Music to my ears....."

xD Lazy gif is lazy.....but i had to do it.....

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Regardless of how we interpret it, today Sakurai has acknowledged that not all characters are to scale. The source material being the games from each respected series.

This is at the very least the extension I get from that. Obviously, by scale, Ridley is twice the height of Samus in Other M. If Ridley is playable, it will obviously not match the height because yes, that IS too big for Smash heights. But that is why he would be rescaled. Make him slightly larger than the new Bowser, basically as Angelglory did, and you're set. He's still larger than Samus, albeit smaller than normal.

The quote is, "The Smash Bros. series doesn't always stay true to scale". That is now Smash fact, it is quotable and it certainly applies to Ridley. Sure, Shokio might argue that Ridley is an exception, but he has no source to back up the idea that Ridley is an exception (mainly because he isn't).

The "too big" argument, regardless of whether it is an opinion or not, has been laid to rest. It is no longer a reason for him to be kept out, and that is now a fact.

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Yeah I imagined but I need proof for a friend who's... Let's say... Not really open minded?
Here, start with this. It's hard though to find direct Smash pics of the pokemon together in decent poses.

How does that work? The Too Big argument stems from "Canon size" discussions, so if you're nullifying one, you're basically nullifying the other it's directly related to.
I'd argue the arguments stemmed from Ridley's decided role in Brawl. The "too big" meme may have appeared beforehand, but it was more of a joke than anything. But once Ridley's role was decided, that's when people started seriously believing that Ridley was too big and that he had to be a certain size and that Sakurai was acknowledging this through making him a large boss instead of playable.

See, the arguments can just as easily continue from that direction. Canon size consistency may no longer be arguable for Smash, but people can still argue theoretical logistics surrounding size and role. "Sakurai made Ridley a boss because it wouldn't make sense to make him playable" you might hear. We can tell these people "But Sakurai can change his mind, look at these examples...", but it's not the same as Sakurai himself making a statement that would address that angle. We just end up with the same back-and-forth battling.

For now, what we do have is that canon sizes aren't always accurate. Not necessarily "never accurate", but neither "intentionally accurate". If something CAN be scaled, but it isn't scaled, people are going to ask why, and some are going to make assumptions. That's why we can't let our guard down. Not that the "too big" argument didn't take a blow today, but canon size unfortunately isn't the root of the argument. I would claim that "role" is the root of the argument, and canon size was a way to staple Ridley to the "ideal" role.

And of course there's always those who just don't want Ridley because of personal preference. Those who use that like an actual argument will always be a thorn in our side until a day comes where Ridley being playable mocks that preference.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I saw the comment on today's picture, and it took me a second and a rereading of the comment, but when I got it my face went from :O to :D to a really smug grin.

Ridley's not in the clear yet, but I can't help but feel like Sakurai was directly acknowledging Ridley and trolling the anti-Ridley people, specifically the toobigots.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I saw the comment on today's picture, and it took me a second and a rereading of the comment, but when I got it my face went from :O to :D to a really smug grin.

Ridley's not in the clear yet, but I can't help but feel like Sakurai was directly acknowledging Ridley and trolling the anti-Ridley people, specifically the toobigots.
I think it was more of an indirect acknowledgement, which means while he wasn't fully directing the comment to Ridley, I'm pretty sure characters like Ridley and K.Rool were indirectly referenced in said comment.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
do me a favor and guess why I never go on the smash miiverse.

go on, guess. I'm certain any reason you come up with is the right one.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Don't really know why it is necessarily to even consider Miiverse in the discussion, we already know what tends to come from there.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Meanwhile on Miiverse...
...Eeyup. =/

And let's just say that, fine, the war begins to finally move away from toobigotry. Sadly the stupidity will just assume a new evil form, be it "Rolecism" or "Stagetyping" or "LALALAICANTHEARYOU". . . judice. Lord Ridley and Master Sakurai must be the ones to deliver the true fatal blow.

Top Bottom