• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
When I first played SBB as a child, I had no idea who Samus, Ness, or Captain Falcon were.

Also, I first played SSB as a child.
True that. I didn't even knew who Kirby was prior to Smash. Then again, Smash 64 was like one of the first games I ever played.

That's the wonderful thing about Smash, you know? Very often does it open to you the doors to various Nintendo franchises you might not have heard of.

D

Deleted member

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley's trailer has the character coming in large, stopped, scaled down with the tool, and then given a thumbs up.
It's going to be an inversion of Little Mac's trailer.

Bowser is going to stand by Ridley, measure himself, fail to measure Ridley due to not being able to reach that high, then have a look on his face that says "****....".

Then Ridley swats him away.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
It's going to be an inversion of Little Mac's trailer.

Bowser is going to stand by Ridley, measure himself, fail to measure Ridley due to not being able to reach that high, then have a look on his face that says "****....".

Then Ridley swats him away.
that would be perfect haha

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
True that. I didn't even knew who Kirby was prior to Smash. Then again, Smash 64 was like one of the first games I ever played.

That's the wonderful thing about Smash, you know? Very often does it open to you the doors to various Nintendo franchises you might not have heard of.
I began gaming with the N64. A few weeks after we got it, my father brought in almost two dozen new games, which he got off some guy at a bargain. In retrospect, I would learn that I was lucky to have received many N64 classics - including SSB.

So I the only characters I recognized in Smash were those that appeared in the other games I had. :smirk:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm become less against Ridley being playable lately, but I feel something needs to be addressed: We haven't seen any sort of stage hazard for the Pyrosphere. A lot of people say "Well, that means Ridley won't be a stage hazad! Yay!", but something feels off to me.

What I'm saying here is that the Pyrosphere feels too suspiciously neutral. Sakurai, for better or worse, likes to give each stage its kind of gimmick, and isn't anymore prevalent then with the Metroid stages, which always have something going on (The rising lava in Norfair, Brinstar, and Planet Zebes, Kraid rotating the stage in Brinstar Depths, The Frigate Orpheon rotating and changing the stage design every now and then). We haven't seen any crazy gimmicks with the Pyrosphere, not even rising lava or anything. To me, it just feels a little un-Sakurai of him to give us a plain ol' neutral Metroid stage.

But that's just my theory. He may or may not be a stage hazard, but I think it's something to be considered.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'm become less against Ridley being playable lately, but I feel something needs to be addressed: We haven't seen any sort of stage hazard for the Pyrosphere. A lot of people say "Well, that means Ridley won't be a stage hazad! Yay!", but something feels off to me.

What I'm saying here is that the Pyrosphere feels too suspiciously neutral. Sakurai, for better or worse, likes to give each stage its kind of gimmick, and isn't anymore prevalent then with the Metroid stages, which always have something going on (The rising lava in Norfair, Brinstar, and Planet Zebes, Kraid rotating the stage in Brinstar Depths, The Frigate Orpheon rotating and changing the stage design every now and then). We haven't seen any crazy gimmicks with the Pyrosphere, not even rising lava or anything. To me, it just feels a little un-Sakurai of him to give us a plain ol' neutral Metroid stage.

But that's just my theory. He may or may not be a stage hazard, but I think it's something to be considered.
I just think Sakurai would have shown Ridley already if he was just a stage hazard for the Pyrosphere. Instead, he showed Mother Brain in the exact same stage and even mentioned Mother Brain's size in the caption. I don't know, he is making too much myster. If Ridley isn't in, which is entirely possible, that would just further prove that Sakurai is a big troll. It would also make me thing that he has no respect for his fans. Also, Ridley being playable AND a stage hazard is a possibility, since there are more than one Ridley in the Metroid series.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
You guys all noticed they made Samus shorter in this game, right? I wonder why...
It's not like they felt the need to make a character smaller that would be compared to her, right? ;)

Isn't it funny they decided to make some villains larger too?

And then there's:

"Two that are actually not so tall. Kirby's about 8 inches high, Captain Olimar maybe a little over an inch."

"This dog is huge... Wait, no, the playable characters are small. The Smash Bros. series doesn't always stay true to scale."
Things are looking good for Ridley: http://smashbros-miiverse.com/stages/pyrosphere
20 pictures total.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

Honestly. Alfonzo/Toon Link.

I feel like this is all leading up to Ridley as a stage hazard that becomes playable and we get some other form of Ridley replacing him in the stage.

The ring changed when Mac got announced, Toon Link is replaced by Alfonzo when he's played, Sakurai endlessly trolling the Ridley fan base...it's just a matter of time, but Sakurai is going to great lengths to make the anticipation of his reveal as maxed out as possible.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It would also make me thing that he has no respect for his fans.
Or...he might not just feel Ridley is suited for being playable.

It's not like Sakurai totally ever leaves Ridley in the dust. He definitely has giving him a lot of acknowledgement in the past, whether that being a trophy, a background cameo, appearance in Melee's intro, TWO boss fights in Brawl, and, if my suspicions are true, a stage hazard.

I'm not against Ridley being playable or anything, but I don't really think Sakurai has treated Metroid poorly as some people make it out to be. In Brawl, it technically did have two playable characters (Samus and ZSS), two stages, Ridley as a boss two times in SSE, and a bunch of trophies and stickers. Something like WarioWare in comparison got totally jipped.

Reila

Uh, I am sure you know that is not what I meant. He as a developer have the right and knowledge to know if Ridley is or isn't suitable for playable. He knows more than any of us here. But hinting that Ridley may be playable in the new games, talking about character sizes far more than once, not showing Ridley as the stage hazard, even knowing people would speculate a lot about that, showing Mother Brain (an enemy from Samus' past) in the stage Ridley is supposed to be hazard, etc. Now that is what I am talking about. If he did all of that, just for fun or trolling, then he has no respect for any of his fans.

andimidna

Smash Master
Sakurai obviously doesn't give a **** about size, he got Olimar's canon size wrong. XD
Or am I wrong? I'm pretty sure it's .75 in? And he said a little over an inch.
He resized Olimar without even caring about the real numbers.
Sakurai...

It's not like Sakurai totally ever leaves Ridley in the dust. He definitely has giving him a lot of acknowledgement in the past, whether that being a trophy, a background cameo, appearance in Melee's intro, TWO boss fights in Brawl, and, if my suspicions are true, a stage hazard.

I'm not against Ridley being playable or anything, but I don't really think Sakurai has treated Metroid poorly as some people make it out to be. In Brawl, it technically did have two playable characters (Samus and ZSS), two stages, Ridley as a boss two times in SSE, and a bunch of trophies and stickers. Something like WarioWare in comparison got totally jipped.
I will never count Samus and Samus as different characters. But ok.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I can imagine the trolling towards Ridley haters if Ridley is confirmed to be both a playable character AND a stage hazard.

"Well, hey, at least Ridley is a stage hazard, like you said! It's a win/win situation, right? :troll:"

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I still wonder why... why do they despise the idea that Ridley could be playable? Do they hate the character?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
"I like how Sakurai is like "size doesn't matter you guys!" And everyone is like "I'll just use the size argument even more!"

Credit to Lord Goomy on Miiverse!

I still wonder why... why do they despise the idea that Ridley could be playable? Do they hate the character?
1. Everything popular will get detractors.
2. They're ignorant.
3. They've argued this for so long that stubbornness has kicked in.
4. Desire to feel superior to another human being.

Take your pick.

Last edited:

Reila

"I like how Sakurai is like "size doesn't matter you guys!" And everyone is like "I'll just use the size argument even more!"

Credit to Lord Goomy on Miiverse!.
I feel that this deserves to be in every Ridley supporter's signature.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Was going to make a post as to why Mac's confirmation just meant more good news for Ridley on how bogus the size argument actually is, but it looks like Sakurai beat me to the punch.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Just...just let him be announced soon. I want it all to be over. Forever...

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
AAAAAAAHHHH

also i made this post today on miiverse ( after getting attacked for just saying ridley confirmed for fun and kicks )

personally, i love to stir up tome trouble and arguments.
but this just sad people. it's not like the people on miiverse are making the game.
really just glad today's update might have stopped the ''too big'' argument.
now we still have the ''too scary'' argument. if that's the case then grow some real balls. i mean seriously i WANT to see ridley with the bunny hood shrank down by a poison mushroom. he's just as much nintendo as mario or kirby are.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's no less jarring to imagine Ridley wearing a Bunny Hood or being hit with a Lip's Stick than it is Samus or Ganondorf.

People are so dumb.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Seriously at this point the only way Sakurai could say that more clearly is :
"I don't give a **** about characters size, I will include them if I want to" !

Best pic of the day ever =D

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Seriously at this point the only way Sakurai could say that more clearly is :
"I don't give a **** about characters size, I will include them if I want to" !

Best pic of the day ever =D
I disagree.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There we go, the "too big" argument is completely bull****, straight from the man himself. If we didn't have enough confirmation as is already. I really hope some of the naysayers will try and cling to their argument now, just to see their desperation.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
ALL HAIL BASED SAKURAI, DESTROYER OF TOOBIGOTS!!

...seriously, if this thread doesn't blow up today, i'll be SHOCKED.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Let's all celebrate by looking up Ridley Yaoi! Everyone? Anyone? No?

:c

Anyways, even more sure about Ridley being here (though this of course doesn't confirm anything we didn't know, really, but it may finally put an end to the generic Ridley haters).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
If all they cared about was making games for children, then why does Metroid exist?
in that case we should scrap mother, kid icarus, fire emblem, punch out!! and even zelda too.
maybe even kirby, have ever seen those final bosses? **** ain't for kids!

enjoy your new smash bros miiverse

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
AAAAAAAHHHH

also i made this post today on miiverse ( after getting attacked for just saying ridley confirmed for fun and kicks )

personally, i love to stir up tome trouble and arguments.
but this just sad people. it's not like the people on miiverse are making the game.
really just glad today's update might have stopped the ''too big'' argument.
now we still have the ''too scary'' argument. if that's the case then grow some real balls. i mean seriously i WANT to see ridley with the bunny hood shrank down by a poison mushroom. he's just as much nintendo as mario or kirby are.
Confirmed Dutchman.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think the best way we could see Ridley in Smash, is by, for better or worse, using the Other M design.

To be honest, when it comes to Ridley, it's not really just size, it's his proportions. This is really apparently in his Super Metroid design. I really can't imagine those thin limbs and long, skinny neck on a smaller, playable character.

This makes me want to puke. Although, the OM design kinda wants to make me puke as well, but his proportions are much more compact and less ganky looking. The only real major difference shown in the size comparison above is that he's just been downsized a bit. Granted, there still might be problems with the long wings and tail, but his the actual body of his OM design doesn't translate nearly as bad as the SM design in a smaller form.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Other M Ridley would be the best design choice. Then again, am doubting that Other M Ridley would actually play and ´feel´ like Ridley.

Reila

I think the best way we could see Ridley in Smash, is by, for better or worse, using the Other M design.

To be honest, when it comes to Ridley, it's not really just size, it's his proportions. This is really apparently in his Super Metroid design. I really can't imagine those thin limbs and long, skinny neck on a smaller, playable character.

This makes me want to puke. Although, the OM design kinda wants to make me puke as well, but his proportions are much more compact and less ganky looking. The only real major difference shown in the image above is that he's just been downsized a bit. Granted, there still might be problems with the long wings and tail, but his the actual body of his OM design doesn't translate nearly as bad as the SM design in a smaller form.
This makes me want to laugh. And I still want to see Ridley with the bunny hood, like Ganondorf in that other pic.

Also, Ridley's Other M design is perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Other M Ridley would be the best design choice. Then again, am doubting that Other M Ridley would actually play and ´feel´ like Ridley.
His boss fight in Other M looked like what you expect from a Ridley boss fight I don't see why it would be different as a playable character since he would have these moves in his moveset.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hey guys look at the captain of sakurais picture

«This dog is huge... Wait, no, the playable characters are small. The Smash Bros. series doesn't always stay true to scale.» 19.Feb.2014

That's the quote of today's picture does that end the war of hes too big once and for all

Top Bottom