• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ridleyfighter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ghostshooter13
But I like Ridley, why would they do that

I'm hoping this is a joke, cause it took me more than two hands to count how many characters would be impossible

Seriously? Homer? And the Pokemon choices are baffling. Why Metagross, Tyranitar, Typhlosion, and Groudon? And why would a Creeper and Big Daddy be there? I'm pretty sure none of them have appeared on a Nintendo console.

Unsure as to why the Hewdraw is there, and I feel there's way too many Sonic characters. And I'm not too keen on the DBZ characters and Bass

And then there's Kraid. I think it's fair to declare Kraid "too big" for Smash, as his entire character is built around him being a towering behemoth, unlike Ridley.

The rest I'm okay with, relatively speaking.
LOL, you found the joke ones

Also, the roster maker had so many stupid choices that I did not know why they were there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So how about that Ridley? Pretty cool guy right? Other than the whole murdering of innocent people, he seems like a chill dude. He doesn't yell at his minions like Bowser would.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
So how about that Ridley? Pretty cool guy right? Other than the whole murdering of innocent people, he seems like a chill dude. He doesn't yell at his minions like Bowser would.
Yeah i think he just kill them if they do something wrong, but other than that, he's a cool guy.

Go back to the under Rosalina's dress part.
Thanks, you know, that's her best part.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yay! Dark Phazon is back! How's it been going buddy?

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
So what do you think of my roster?
I'm hoping this is a joke, cause it took me more than two hands to count how many characters would be impossible

Seriously? Homer? And the Pokemon choices are baffling. Why Metagross, Tyranitar, Typhlosion, and Groudon? And why would a Creeper and Big Daddy be there? I'm pretty sure none of them have appeared on a Nintendo console.

Unsure as to why the Hewdraw is there, and I feel there's way too many Sonic characters. And I'm not too keen on the DBZ characters and Bass
Tyranitar could work. I expect to see a new Pokemon. Shadow's chances aren't terrible but Metal's are that great. I think Tails would definitely be included before knuckles... but anyway let's not drag this off topic.

And then there's Kraid. I think it's fair to declare Kraid "too big" for Smash, as his entire character is built around him being a towering behemoth, unlike Ridley.

The rest I'm okay with, relatively speaking.
Yes. Why do some not understand this?
Wait, what?
Well, you kinda do.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Entei pretty much slaughters Excadrill with Sacred Fire anyway.

Now, back to the main topic...
Did not realize it could learned Sacred Fire in gen 6 till you pointed it out. Well that's... new.

That's cool, but it looks like Smash Bros Ridley is just a big ol' dragon.
No talking or sarcasm. It'd be really weird if he talked imo.
At the very least I don't think subtitles or something for him would be too out-of-place.

Ridley does hate people at a higher rank than he is, saying that he was not happy when mother brain took over.
When was this? o.o

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley shouldn't talk in Smash Bros, ever.

I really do love his personality in the manga, he's one mean and sadistic ************, and I wouldn't object to him talking in a Metroid game. But if he does, don't apply voice acting, make it like Zelda, or with the Luminoth, where he would just go "rawrawrawr" and add in subtitles instead. Furthermore, never let Sakamoto write any dialog for Metroid again, if anyone should make Ridley talk then leave it to Retro Studios.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I always assumed Samus/everyone just happened to know Space Pirate language, what with her colony being one of merchants that did business with numerous aliens.

Of course this being manga we are going off of, everything is made understandable for our convenience.

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731

I really do love his personality in the manga, he's one mean and sadistic mother****er, and I wouldn't object to him talking in a Metroid game. But if he does, don't apply voice acting, make it like Zelda, or with the Luminoth, where he would just go "rawrawrawr" and add in subtitles instead. Furthermore, never let Sakamoto write any dialog for Metroid again, if anyone should make Ridley talk then leave it to Retro Studios.
I don't care if he talks per say, but I would like to them to include something to indicate that he is intelligent. A laugh or gesture would suffice, but if he did talk I would be ok with him saying something in his language similar to the way Necrid did in Soul Calibur.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

I really do love his personality in the manga, he's one mean and sadistic mother****er, and I wouldn't object to him talking in a Metroid game. But if he does, don't apply voice acting, make it like Zelda, or with the Luminoth, where he would just go "rawrawrawr" and add in subtitles instead. Furthermore, never let Sakamoto write any dialog for Metroid again, if anyone should make Ridley talk then leave it to Retro Studios.
Retro didn't exactly give Dark Samus (main villain of the trilogy) any subtitles or something of that nature, so I doubt they would for Ridley. Maybe they would just give him some kind of maniacial laughter like they did for her.

And Sakamoto was one of the ones involved with the manga too IIRC.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well, I was planning on having a nice New Year's, actually.
Ohhh, Mr. Rules and date/time regulation wants to celebrate NEW YEARSMaybe New Years isn't in my religion. Maybe I only celebrate one year. How DARE you be so wantonly offensive without thinking.

Yay! Dark Phazon is back! How's it been going buddy?
I for one have been in a sore need for some realtalk (TM)

Happy Thanksgiving, pilgrims.
I think you mean plebeians

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Truth be told, I always thought something like the voices of the Locust from Gears of War would be fitting (particularly that of the Kantus or General RAAM). Mostly just unintelligible grunts and roars with a few coherent words peppered in an "alien" fashion. Shows they're monsters, but aren't mindless. Plus the videos of the voice actors making said guttural noises is just...fascinating, to say the least.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Truth be told, I always thought something like the voices of the Locust from Gears of War would be fitting (particularly that of the Kantus or General RAAM). Mostly just unintelligible grunts and roars with a few coherent words peppered in an "alien" fashion. Shows they're monsters, but aren't mindless. Plus the videos of the voice actors making said guttural noises is just...fascinating, to say the least.
This..

Hell, there should be a DLC/add-on for a future Metroid that's sort of a knockoff of the RAAM's Shadow formula where you control Ridley and some elite space pirates during bits and pieces of a particular story arc.

D

Deleted member

Ridley's become so vulgar.
I remember when she was just a sweet little girl....

I blame the parents.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That's genuinely one of the most terrifying things that I have ever seen.
I've seen weirder far as the whole Ridley and Team Ninja thing. That one was at least pretty funny.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Ah, that Ridley fellow. Big year for a big guy.

I don't really come here often, but when I do, I try to condense walls of text on subjects brought up a few pages ago.
Ahem ...

Well for the whole personality thing, and making him into an intense villian with no weaknesses - see Ganondorf. He's a pretty ****ed up guy as he returns from being sealed up (oh yeah he just never decides to die.) so much to try and kill different young boys. It is the bane of my existence knowing he was so crappy in Brawl for someone who devastates an entire world for eternity.

Size isn't an issue. I'm sure once he's in the game he'll feel normal and this all this too-bigotry will fade into memory. I mean I wasn't as an avid smash user for Brawl, but I'm sure arguments similar to this got stomped on by one unexpected boot. Smash Bros is it's own universe anyways, and Sakurai is diligent. If he wants something, he will do.

With those saying Ridley is an iconic Nintendo character .... ehh.... I mean to all of us here he is. I don't doubt that, and for a series that has ground roots in Nintendos history, I would agree with you. But in the public eye of kids, parents and uneducated gamers, he would just be a dragon (not a bad thing if you think about it, people dig dragons). When I first played a Smash game I thought Samus was a guy and never understood why she was in Event #15 in Melee.

But other than that ... Ridley 2014.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I just got my Wii U and one of the first things I did was check out the Smash Bros Miiverse for the first time...

...And the last time. Too bigots, too bigots everywhere, and Sonic and anime requests galore. How could people be so hostile towards the idea of a major franchise's antagonist being playable? It ruined my day to see so much stupidity in there.

Ah well, if they think people like Goku or Krystal have a better chance of getting in than Ridley, then they have absolutely no merit.

EDIT: Does anyone notice that in the encounter scene with Ridley in the SSE, he suddenly got smaller in the end?

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ever since I've gotten a 3DS and gone on Miiverse, every hour I see someone ask "is Sonic gonna be in this?"

However, at least the drawings can be really cool, and the Ridley drawings and posts are generally in support of Ridley.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
it appears a lot of ppl has giving up on ridley since the hazard :( come on ppl give me hope on reasion he will appear in this game

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Retro didn't exactly give Dark Samus (main villain of the trilogy) any subtitles or something of that nature, so I doubt they would for Ridley. Maybe they would just give him some kind of maniacial laughter like they did for her.

And Sakamoto was one of the ones involved with the manga too IIRC.
Dark Samus couldn't really talk I'm sure. It's a Phazon-infused Metroid who has merged with Samus's Dark Suit, there's not much language going on there. We know that Ridley can talk though.

And yeah, Sakamoto was involved with the manga. The project leader seems to be someone named Ishikawa Kenji, as stated at the end of the manga, so I don't think Sakamoto wrote the dialog or anything though, but he probably held an eye on the process to see if everything went how he wanted it to.

EDIT: Does anyone notice that in the encounter scene with Ridley in the SSE, he suddenly got smaller in the end?
He's quite a bit smaller in the fight itself than in the cinematic, and I think he might be a tad smaller as Meta Ridley too. Not sure if he shrinks after being fried by thunder though.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Dark Samus couldn't really talk I'm sure. It's a Phazon-infused Metroid who has merged with Samus's Dark Suit, there's not much language going on there. We know that Ridley can talk though.

And yeah, Sakamoto was involved with the manga. The project leader seems to be someone named Ishikawa Kenji, as stated at the end of the manga, so I don't think Sakamoto wrote the dialog or anything though, but he probably held an eye on the process to see if everything went how he wanted it to.
Clearly Dark Samus was able to communicate with the pirates she controlled/corrupted (if the Prime 3 logs are any indication), so I'm fairly sure she was capable of speaking despite what she originally was, even if it was just in another gobbly-gook alien language. Of course, we would expect Ridley to have a language that's foreign to humans too assuming he were given subtitles, but eh..

With how long he's been involved with Metroid in general in some way (since the original), guess part of me is just curious as to what kind of dialogue he would give Ridley, assuming it's something like the manga persona.

p.s. Nice new avatar Soviet.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Clearly Dark Samus was able to communicate with the pirates she controlled/corrupted (if the Prime 3 logs are any indication), so I'm fairly sure she was capable of speaking despite what she originally was, even if it was just in another gobbly-gook alien language. Of course, we would expect Ridley to have a language that's foreign to humans too assuming he were given subtitles, but eh..

With how long he's been involved with Metroid in general in some way (since the original), guess part of me is just curious as to what kind of dialogue he would give Ridley, assuming it's something like the manga persona.

p.s. Nice new avatar Soviet.
Yeah, it's something that should be handled with care if ever done. I do feel that it's best to not make him talk though, he's doing fine as a villain by simply roaring, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless.

As for Dark Samus, haven't tried out Corruption since 2007/2008, so I wouldn't be able to remember. However, I'm catching up on the Prime games I started but never finished (aka all of them except the first), and Echoes is soon done, so Corruption is next and last in line.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Ridley doesn't need to talk in the games but I do feel like I'd wamt to see him do some intelligent and interesting things. Everytime we see Ridley in action, we're fighting him. We don't see him working on things or commanding the Space Pirates.

No dialogue would be needed. Ridley would sitting in the center of the control room of a Space Pirate ship. He'd be shrouded in shadows but his menacing silhouette and glowing eyes would visable. The other Pirates wait nervously around him as Ridley looks at the ships monitor and points swiftly at the planet they strike next. The pirates all nod in respect as they prepare to fly to their destination.

Top Bottom