• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I kind of want them to be smaller, just like they were in all of his 2D appearances. So silly looking. DESPITE MY LIMITATIONS it would be easy for me to resize them for yet another image, and I would have sooner if I hadn't pushed the wrong button and made everything dumb last time I was messing with models.

I'll try again soon enough, but... Pokemon...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Xerneas is both an uber and a fairy type, so even as a pokeball, one Moonblast alone would prolly be enough to KO poor Ridley in Smash no matter how much health he's got.

Already shown this to some, but Project M be makin' my fantasy a reality, even if Sakurai doesn't deliver. ~

I mean who wouldn't want to have a Mewtwo vs Charizard X kind of fight between the two epic purples of doom?

And nitpick on Ridley's size in that if you want. I don't care; it's still awesome.

Wouldn't Ridley be a Dragon/Fire type though? He'd be more balanced that way. The Ridley vs Mewtwo pic looks cool too.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Exactly. Hence why I mentioned Charizard X, as Ridley would be that type too.

And wow, you really went there Phaazoid? -.- Should've included though that Ridley can "megavolve" into his Meta form or something. Regardless, Arceus help him if he has to deal with Xerneas or some strong fairy type.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I go where I please.
I never denied you that right, but... damn. Fair enough @ him having those three types and stuff though. :laugh:

Why not make him a ghost type too....seeing as he always comes back from the dead:troll:
In all seriousness, a ghost, spiritual, or undead form of some type is something I'd actually want to see of Ridley in a future Metroid, with how many times he's "died" and all. He'd of course have that eerie feel to him that the Chozo Ghosts in Prime and other spiritual/supernatural things in the series have had.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
In all seriousness, a ghost, spiritual, or undead form of some type is something I'd actually want to see of Ridley in a future Metroid, with how many times he's "died" and all. He'd of course have that eerie feel to him that the Chozo Ghosts in Prime and other spiritual/supernatural things in the series have had.
Nothing will top the Nightmare in terms of eeriness, though.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I dunno. I got a more eerie feel from that spiritual Chozo guardian in Zero Mission (the one that gave you a "reflection" battle before you were able to get your suit back). Them doing that or a Chozo Ghost kind of thing with Ridley would be... epic, and if they tried to make him scarier with that kind of form, aww man... Then he'd become a ghost/dragon type.

Anyway, gotta go to work now, so later peepz.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Those Chozo ghost were more annoying than they were creepy. Especially, when I ended up going the wrong way and they just re-spawn. Though over time the ghost got easier at least.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Haven't played many Metroid games, but I must say I found the Golden Statue room in Super Metroid quite unsettling and eerie when I first entered it.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Hopefully this refreshes your memory:
OH RIGHT THOSE ****ERS FROM PRIME I thought we were talking about a 2D game for some reason.

Yeah, they were more annoying to me than scary. Probably my biggest issue with the Prime games is that when you're backtracking for stuff, enemies respawn in exactly the same way they were there in the first place. Like the Chozo ghosts, or all the Space Pirates. I mean they do that in the 2D games too, but the combat is much quicker in that, as opposed to Prime's often drawn-out battles. Like the Space Pirates are super annoying to deal with in the Prime games, and you can't always ignore them. This is why I haven't finished Prime 2 yet; I get burned out on it really easily. Whereas all the 2D games I powered through nonstop.

I dunno. The Prime games are good, but I don't feel like they capture the sense of exploration quite as well as the 2D ones, mainly because there's so much more time spent fighting. Though Prime 1 is better in that regard than Prime 2, in my opinion.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
When it comes to being afraid in the metroid series, I've only played Super metroid, Metroid Prime 1 and 2. In those 3 games here's the 3 times I was afraid not in any order

1. When Crocomire came back to life In Super Metroid. When you literally only have one hit left, and have not saved in a while, you have a reason to be afraid, you don't want to restart an hour back, and I didn't know how much health it had left. It's probably more of the fact of the fear of taking forever to get back to where you were than the boss itself, since it does look a little silly with it's tongue waggling when it yells and it scratching the floor.
2. Amorbis.... Not Amorbis himself per-say, but more of the mechanics of his fight. You have to dodge him but stay in the lights, and have to keep triggering the lights by shooting them so you don't die
3. Ridley himself in Super Metroid - After getting my arse kicked by the ninja space pirates before him. I figured I wouldn't have to fight anything hard for a while, then Ridley appears (who kicked my arse at the start of the game cause I was new to the Metroid franchise). Being injured, I spammed all my missles at him and he was still not dead which surprised me since nothing else previous faced had that much HP. Losing the fight would mean I had to waste my time going back through the already annoying areas before him. Ever played the Level 3 in Contra 3? Fighting Ridley feels like fighting that guy (except you aren't waiting forever for him to open his eye, and you can take a bazillion highly damaging hits from ridley, as opposed to 1 hit in contra). He constantly keeps moving around so you have to watch closely if you want to avoid taking damage, and he pressures you by swooping down with his tail or using the pogo tail. Of course, whenever he picked you up is kind of intimidating, I remember spamming the controller trying to get out since that's usually the only way to get out of grabs in old-school games. Whenever he went off screen I'd always curl up in a ball hoping I could roll away from him in time if he came back.
I cannot tell you how annoying it is to see someone just DPS race Ridley when they have far more weapons than they should have at that point, same with anyone who just DPS races Meta Knight in the Kirby games because that makes those fights boring and not at all intimidating.

Sorry Metroid Prime 1 Ridley, You were easy to dodge for most of your attacks (and the harder ones to dodge barely do any damage), and I never was worried about dieing, and you focused too hard on showing me your pretty flight patterns (I like it the first couple times as it makes him look cool, but after those few times it's annoying)

Ghost chozos were never scary to me, just very very annoying to fight. I'm not sure if they were ever scary to me, I just avoided the area where they were like a plague because of how much of a pain they are, and was one of the worst parts of the game for me. Also, I watched a friend fight chozo ghosts once, gawd I never want to see someone else fight chozo ghosts again, too much facepalming. Love the chozo, ghost forms were cool, but fighting them was annoying.

Here's hoping that if Ridley gets into SSB4, he will be as intimidating as he is in some of his games (You don't have to be OP to be intimidating either).

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I think it's safe to safe everyone hates the boost guardian. I just hate him because DPS racing him is the only way to fight him, because you will constantly hear the burning sound when fighting him due to there not being any light. X_X

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Fighting something in an area that constantly poisons you, with no respite from the poison, and does it as quickly as Dark Aether does, is bull. Always.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Are you sure Ridley wouldn't just be Dragon/Flying. Dunno if he really has all that much to do with fire, though I guess he does reside in Norfair... I also don't think just being the bad guy is enough to justify being Dark type.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Are you sure Ridley wouldn't just be Dragon/Flying. Dunno if he really has all that much to do with fire, though I guess he does reside in Norfair... I also don't think just being the bad guy is enough to justify being Dark type.
Well, except for Dark Pulse, Dark type really isn't as focused around darkness itself as Ghost type is, it's rather more focused on malicious acts. Hence why its Japanese name is "Evil" type.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
thinking of the Metroid prime 1 battle
Fire Spin
Sky attack
Dragon Rush
Slash

As for scary moments in a metroid game - I'm going to have to say the first few bosses in Prime 1, they were so friggen huge. scared the crap outta me. and the omega metroid, scared the crap outta me. also leaving the ship, and wandering the jungle. those ice monster things. the magma caverns. Also I was 10, and this was the first console game I'd ever played, let alone shooter, and everything pretty much scared me xD.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I have to say, that whether you are playing a ROM or the actual game, i can't remember the sheer terror of running from the SA-X in Fusion, especially when you have to kill the plants to restart the generator, which is the first real forced encounter
Just getting past it my pulse was pounding.
Quite traumatic actually.........
and also
I actually thought corruption was pretty good with exploration.....Of course not as good as the 2D, but relatively close

Top Bottom