• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

If there's one thing Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion got undeniably right, it was Aku being playable in the XL release.

....just like Ridley, Aku is typically pretty fricking huge in his home series. And he was even a boss in a large size in both versions of PTE.
His playable appearance is small (though considerably taller than the rest of the cast) in comparison.

So Ridley should follow Aku's example and naysayers be damned by Aku.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Should be accurate despite the strange pose.
That is honestly almost perfect. He would be the largest character in Smash at that size, but I don't have a problem with that. Maybe a tad smaller, but that may be unnecessary when he's in a standing position, instead of flying.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero

Should be accurate despite the strange pose.
Oh my god.
Look how that doesn't look like ****.
Look how it looks perfectly fine.
In fact, looks how it looks ****ing awesome!

Can you make a comparison with this Ridley to Brawl's Bowser?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Bowser looks strange standing straight up. Maybe I can get his trophy to work instead.
Well, to be fair, Ridley would likely be hunched too, not standing up straight.

The only thing that's significantly bigger (taller) there is his wings, and those probably wouldn't have hurtboxes, so I fail to see how anyone can see this as an issue.

Plus he's not actually standing on the ground there; I'd imagine he'd be hunched on the ground, not floating. Maybe that's why I dislike so many PSAs...

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'd be entirely okay with this size.

This really wasn't difficult in the slightest, making Ridley an okay size while making him look okay. I can't imagine why people refuse to believe that professionals expecting a paycheck for doing so can't do this exact same thing.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This is the second week in a row where we got no pic of the Pyrosphere. I guess Sakurai finally got tired of trolling Ridley fans.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Or he realized he should stop with the Pyrosphere pic once there was one with purple in it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ironically though Issy's right about Xerneas's size.

And dayum, the purple slash effect on the left actually does kinda look like Ridley's head. Only someone who once noticed Ridley IN THE CLOUDS would've taken note of that though. Were you one of those people, Chrono? :p

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Xerneas is both an uber and a fairy type, so even as a pokeball, one Moonblast alone would prolly be enough to KO poor Ridley in Smash no matter how much health he's got.

Already shown this to some, but Project M be makin' my fantasy a reality, even if Sakurai doesn't deliver. ~

I mean who wouldn't want to have a Mewtwo vs Charizard X kind of fight between the two epic purples of doom?

And nitpick on Ridley's size in that if you want. I don't care; it's still awesome.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Today's picture shows yet again how the great lord Sakurai takes sizes incredibly seriously. Ridley deconfirmed.

Btw, maybe it's because I'm seeing it from a cellphone, but I like Ridley's size in the above picture.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ridley's size is fine in that pic. At best the tail would be need to be made shorter for balance purposes.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
This is the first time on the site that a new character has been shown without being attached to any newcomer or veteran reveal. A raw plain daily update with a character reveal.

Now the question is whether or not Sakurai was just making an exception here because he obviously didn't reveal anything to coincide with the Pokemon X/Y games. Obviously working on pokeball summons, it's possible we'll see more reveals like this over time.

But does this mean it's more likely that, if Ridley is a stage hazard, we very well may see him on a random day? I still think not, but now it's become somewhat plausible in my eyes whereas before I was totally confident it wouldn't happen that way. =/

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Let's just hope if Sakurai sticks to trolling Pokemon fans (or some other fanbase), instead of going back to ambiguous updates with the Pyrosphere.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This is the first time on the site that a new character has been shown without being attached to any newcomer or veteran reveal. A raw plain daily update with a character reveal.

Now the question is whether or not Sakurai was just making an exception here because he obviously didn't reveal anything to coincide with the Pokemon X/Y games. Obviously working on pokeball summons, it's possible we'll see more reveals like this over time.

But does this mean it's more likely that, if Ridley is a stage hazard, we very well may see him on a random day? I still think not, but now it's become somewhat plausible in my eyes whereas before I was totally confident it wouldn't happen that way. =/
If Ridley is part of the stage, then he would be revealed in a random manner of course, just like how we gradually got to see the Pilotwings stage pic for pic. A stage hazard is no big deal, thus it can easily go for a normal screenshot, Ridley or not.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
If Ridley is part of the stage, then he would be revealed in a random manner of course, just like how we gradually got to see the Pilotwings stage pic for pic. A stage hazard is no big deal, thus it can easily go for a normal screenshot, Ridley or not.

That was a stage, not a character. IStages were and still are completely expected to be revealed on a common daily pic day. It was actual characters that were not being revealed except during roster additions. It's not whether or not stage hazards are a big deal, but that actual characters most certainly are big deals, playable or not.

The thing is, Ridley could still be a stage hazard and that particular element not be revealed until Sakurai decides so. If you wanna believe Ridley should have already been revealed by now if he was a part of the stage, that's fine. That's not what I believe. This pokemon reveal to me only makes the contrary plausible in my eyes. If Ridley is revealed on a common day, I won't be as surprised now.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The thing is, Ridley could still be a stage hazard and that particular element not be revealed until Sakurai decides so. If you wanna believe Ridley should have already been revealed by now if he was a part of the stage, that's fine. That's not what I believe. This pokemon reveal to me only makes the contrary plausible in my eyes. If Ridley is revealed on a common day, I won't be as surprised now.
I'm a bit confused by your point here, how does the Pokémon reveal prove to the contrary? Yes it's at a random time, but it still shows off a new feature instantly, in which case if it's a stage it reveals its stage hazard right off the bat rather then dancing around it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That was a stage, not a character. IStages were and still are completely expected to be revealed on a common daily pic day. It was actual characters that were not being revealed except during roster additions. It's not whether or not stage hazards are a big deal, but that actual characters most certainly are big deals, playable or not.

The way I see things is that if Ridley's a stage hazard, then he's just that. I don't see why he should be revealed as such in a trailer or in any big way. Doesn't matter what he is outside of Smash Bros, Sakurai can throw in recognition like that with a little comment, if he's a stage hazard in Smash Bros then he's nothing more than that. Not even Toad got a daily picture dedicated to him, he was just included in the big Peach gallery, so presuming he isn't a playable character he didn't even get a little comment or nod from Sakurai, he's just there. It's not about the character, but about the role of the character, and if the character isn't playable, then there's no reason to make a big thing out of it.

If Ridley's a stage hazard, I always expected him to be revealed in a standard pic of the day with Sakurai throwing in a little comment like "Sometimes Ridley gets out of hiding and assaults the Pyrosphere. Look out Luigi!" because there's no reason to make a bigger deal out of it. Even in the Brawl Dojo's Boss update Ridley was treaten like any other boss, on par with Petey Piranha and Rayquaza. Again, in this game's case it's not the character that matters, but the role of the character. At least that's how I've seen things being handled.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I cant help but think that they will release a picture of the pyrosphere with Ridley doing his final smash, and everyone will be like "Oh look a stage hazard" when in reality he is playable
Just a trolling thought

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
But if a stage hazard is no BIG deal then Ridley couldn't be a stage hazard! :troll:
Exactly!

That's it guys, this is the plan: This is going to be our main argument against anyone who thinks Ridley is going to be a stage hazard from...... now on!

I cant help but think that they will release a picture of the pyrosphere with Ridley doing his final smash, and everyone will be like "Oh look a stage hazard" when in reality he is playable
Just a trolling thought
I wouldn't know whether to cry from happiness, confusion or sadness. Or all three combined.

Top Bottom