• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ok, ok so not that I wouldn't love to keep arguing with all of you, even if it is a bit overwhelming. I'm leaving until someone has the courtesy to answer my question. So one more time:

What's the general concessus on Other M Ridley being playable? Despite all I've said he actually would make sense, being the most humanoid of all Ridley's incarnations, with Samus' an Other M redesign and the Pyrosphere being teased at I can almost see that happening.... If he weren't too big that is.

Some people already did answer it, but I'll give my input. Ridley is Ridley, so I'd be happy with any Ridley. Except Little Birdy. :troll:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ok, ok so not that I wouldn't love to keep arguing with all of you, even if it is a bit overwhelming. I'm leaving until someone has the courtesy to answer my question. So one more time:

What's the general concessus on Other M Ridley being playable? Despite all I've said he actually would make sense, being the most humanoid of all Ridley's incarnations, with Samus' an Other M redesign and the Pyrosphere being teased at I can almost see that happening.... If he weren't too big that is.
I wouldn't care what design he used. A playable Ridley, is a playable Ridley. I just couldn't handle if he uses a 2D sprite instead of a 3D model, or if he was in the Little Birdie form from Other M.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
You guys want them to take Ridley and make him Samus sized...
Quit the hyperbole.

Nobody said this.

Quit the hyperbole.

...even though it's been explicitly clear for years that he's a giant compared to her. I've never said anyone was too small for smash, Chibi Robo's like a foot tall and I wouldn't be opposed to him getting in. Ridley doesn't belong in ssb4's roster.
I'm starting to think you just mulled over my previous post. Does it have to be blown up in huge letters for you??

SMASH BROTHERS THRIVES ON INCONSISTENCIES.

You cannot play this double-standard crap and only apply your arguments to Ridley without considering other areas that also have applied to other series. Stop making everyone else exhaust themselves trying to serve you examples on a silver tray so you can turn your nose up at them and say "Nope, Next".

Star Fox series: Fox, Wolf, Falco. The Landmaster.... Lanmasters ... How all them are extremely inconsistent in comparison with the Great Fox. The inconsistency of Fox fighting on top of an Arwing, being clearly too big to fit in the very vehicle he's supposed to man. The Landmaster being only a 3rd the size of the Great Fox instead of being many times smaller.

Pokemon series: Not even going to compare the playable characters. Care to explain to me why Snorlax can expand to be absolutely ginourmous for no reason? Were you going to just ignore why Pikachu in SSB64 is shown being almost the size of a pokeball? (That would make him smaller than Kirby's canon size for crying out loud). Gardevoir and Lucario are about the same height, but canon-wise Gardevoir should be a foot taller. Groudon is absolutely huge, even bigger than Dialga... oh wait, Dialga has SIX FEET over Groudon in the actual games. Speaking of Dialga and Palkia, they appear on the same stage as Cresselia. Yes it's smaller than them, but not nearly small enough. And these are supposed to represent Spear Pillar, an actual place in the games (That right there is an inconsistency of another kind).

But... as been said already... NOBODY CARES.

WHY IS RIDLEY ANY DIFFERENT????

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
Anomilus, calm your ****. You do out number me 10 to 1 so give me break. I'm so so sorry if I didn't give your post my complete undivided attention, please forgive me. Seriously though I'm not gonna be able to do this if you all bombarde me like this. I know it's my fault for coming in the Ridley-for-ssb4 thread, but come on.

I'll be back though.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
You're outnumbered, but we're all pretty much saying the same thing.

Seriously, I'm not even arguing, 'cause there's nothing to argue. Personally I'm done with pandering to the same old rotting arguments again. I'm simply calling out the crap. To be blunt, I'd rather you not come back if it's to continue arguing. Because there's no point if it isn't going to bring a true revelation to the whole subject. It's a waste of time and an exercise in frustration on both ends of the argument.

D

Deleted member

[collapse=About Snake and firebreathing/dead parents]Snake killed his own father with a makeshift flamethrower made from an aerosol can and a lighter.[/collapse]
But, isn't Big Boss his "father", being who he was cloned from? I don't remember Snake killing Big Boss in MGSIV.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
You're outnumbered, but we're all pretty much saying the same thing.
So what? Are you trying to say you can keep up with 10 people at once? It's harder than it looks, trust me. Say what you will I've enjoyed the time we've spent arguing with eachother. Not so much with you, but IsmaR, KingOfPhantoms, Opossum, legendofRob, Hero, Arcanir and WarioFan are all pretty cool.

If It's so "inarguable" why are you still here Anomilus? Maybe, because it's not? I know plenty of Nay-sayers who also believe it's inarguable. Do I think their opinion Is more important than yours? No. I'm not here, because I think Ridley will never make it in, I'm here to convince myself Ridley will make it in. What better way than this?

But, isn't Big Boss his "father", being who he was cloned from? I don't remember Snake killing Big Boss in MGSIV.
That's because it was in Metal Gear 2 for SNES

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
So what? Are you trying to say you can keep up with 10 people at once?

"The space between genius and madness"

If It's so "inarguable" why are you still here Anomilus? Maybe, because it's not?
Didn't say it was inarguable. I said there was nothing to argue. Because the arguments have been done to death. Nothing new under the sun.
And good luck trying to convince yourself Ridley will make it in. I'm not even convinced and I have dreams about it. But there are over one hundred pages behind these posts that you could read if you needed "convincing".

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
But Big Boss wasn't dead. Can't really count that as killing him if it was only near-death, regardless of the intent to kill being present, can we? :troll:
I was referring to the original MG2 ending. Big Boss was indeed his "clone father" who was dealt fatal wounds, but of course survived because of nanomachines-ex-machina, thus the reappearance in MGSIV. He was indeed killed by
Snake again, btw, just indirectly/by FOXDIE.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm surprised more people don't know about MGS4's ending. That was a huge game.

Regardless, we must talk about Ridley more.

So....

Where do you think Ridley would fall when it comes to weight?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm surprised more people don't know about MGS4's ending. That was a huge game.

Regardless, we must talk about Ridley more.

So....

Where do you think Ridley would fall when it comes to weight?
Fairly heavy, but not as heavy as some might think, since he's so skinny. Possibly around (dare I say it) Charizard weight?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Fairly heavy, but not as heavy as some might think, since he's so skinny. Possibly around (dare I say it) Charizard weight?
Maybe. Perhaps a tad more?

Personally I think Charizard should be heavier though.

Seriously why is :snake: heavier than :charizard:?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Snake may have a lot of heavy gear, but it's surprising that he's heavier than Charizard. Maybe Charizard's wings help slow it's fall slightly?

I'd say Ridley would fairly heavy, but not super heavy. His weight probably wouldn't be too heavy given his rather slender body.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I'm not here, because I think Ridley will never make it in, I'm here to convince myself Ridley will make it in. What better way than this?
You know the best way to do that?

How about you even consider a dissenting opinion? Why don't you try and realize that characters are fluid, not bound to the specifics of their games? Let yourself believe for even a fraction of a second that maybe, just maybe, Smash Bros. is rife with inconsistencies of all types. Allow for the possibility that Sakurai doesn't give a crap about canon size.

Nobody here, not one person, is claiming that Ridley will get in without a shadow of a doubt. All we supporters are trying to tell you is that whatever potential issues he faces can be overcome. He can be scaled down and not look bad. Especially if their intent from the start is to make a scaled-down Ridley. The reason most PSA Ridleys look bad is because he's been scaled down from his boss size, and animations are incredibly difficult to do properly. With the resources at Sakurai's disposal, and if they start by making a smaller model from the beginning, they can make him look great.

And nobody is saying they want Ridley at Samus's size. Anything smaller than Bowser is silly. He should probably be Bowser's size or a little bigger. Yes, he's big in the Metroid games, okay? But he can still be made smaller for Smash Bros. As long as he's not too small.

That's all.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
Done!
Alot of you compared Ridley to a lion/Tiger/Komodo Dragon(nice) saying that they aren't massive, but theyre still menacing. Well you're right, except I was referring to Samus. Tell me, If a Komodo Dragon came after Samus would she run? Hell no, because she's got a badass powersuit and more balls than everyone in this thread combined.

"Ridley was changed into a giant in SuperMetroid for a reason" 1) Ridley was always meant to be huge. The only reason he wasn't is because of the NES' hardware limitations 2) Ridley's small size in Metroid was retconned in Zero Mission (the remake) where if you recall HE WAS HUGE!

Sure Ridley has had his fair share of changes, but he retains his huge factor in every last one of them. Most of you take huge as a relative term so I'll simplify: He's too big to be a playable character. Name one installment where he could fit as a playable character? Let me guess "Metroid 1 and Melee intro" Right? That's all you guys got, and they just barely BARELY count. Hey I'll give those to you. All I have is Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission, Metroid Prime 1-3(Omega Ridley is still too big guys), Other M, Brawl, Oh and let's not forget the Metroid Manga. 9 solid examples vs your 2 "iffy" examples.

Has it occured to you that Ridley was intended to be huge? I mean have you seen the mods people made for Ridley in Brawl? Those were about the same size as the Melee intro counterpart you all swear by and they looked like crap. I've yet to see a convincing render of him in Smash bros. Ridley has a dragon anatomy that just doesn't look right shrunk down. You know, It's almost like Nintendo did that on purpose.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Done!
Alot of you compared Ridley to a lion/Tiger/Komodo Dragon(nice) saying that they aren't massive, but theyre still menacing. Well you're right, except I was referring to Samus. Tell me, If a Komodo Dragon came after Samus would she run? Hell no, because she's got a badass powersuit and more balls than everyone in this thread combined.

"Ridley was changed into a giant in SuperMetroid for a reason" 1) Ridley was always meant to be huge. The only reason he wasn't is because of the NES' hardware limitations 2) Ridley's small size in Metroid was retconned in Zero Mission (the remake) where if you recall HE WAS HUGE!

Sure Ridley has had his fair share of changes, but he retains his huge factor in every last one of them. Most of you take huge as a relative term so I'll simplify: He's too big to be a playable character. Name one installment where he could fit as a playable character? Let me guess "Metroid 1 and Melee intro" Right? That's all you guys got, and they just barely BARELY count. Hey I'll give those to you. All I have is Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission, Metroid Prime 1-3(Omega Ridley is still too big guys), Other M, Brawl, Oh and let's not forget the Metroid Manga. 9 solid examples vs your 2 "iffy" examples.

Has it occured to you that Ridley was intended to be huge? I mean have you seen the mods people made for Ridley in Brawl? Those were about the same size as the Melee intro counterpart you all swear by and they looked like crap. I've yet to see a convincing render of him in Smash bros. Ridley has a dragon anatomy that just doesn't look right shrunk down. You know, It's almost like Nintendo did that on purpose.

...or ignore literally everything I said and remain incredibly narrow-minded and aggressive.

YA MAKES SENSE

D

Deleted member

That "actual size" is a load of rancid hummus.

This is the more accurate comparison from Zero Mission.

If you want to be taken seriously, don't use any sort of argument or image made by Vaztor. Makes you lose credibility.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
There's a reason they made him 20' tall in Super Metroid.
WHOA NOW I can't condone inaccurate size estimations in my thread.

The best sprite we have of Samus standing straight in Super Metroid is 48 pixels tall, and the best sprite we have of Ridley standing in Super Meroid (and he does stretch his legs out so don't give me that 'always hunched up' stuff) is 103 pixels measuring from the tip of his crest to the bottom of his foot (not his claws though). Knowing Samus is 190cm (6' 3") we can work out proportionately that Ridley would be about 410cm (13' 5") tall.

YOU WERE OFF BY LIKE SEVEN FEET ARE YOU SOME KIND OF LOSER AT MEASURING HEIGHTS.

Anyway I haven't been reading anything anyone has been saying I'm just going to assume it's all pretty meaningless.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't get it Oasis. Are you now against resizing Ridley or something? That seems to contradict with your information on this thread's primary post.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Officially, the heaviest Snake has been is 165 lbs.

@M&S: Huh no, I'm just obsessed with measuring heights and since I am president of this thread I must enforce the law that inaccurate size estimations are illegal. Anyway, it's a little embarrassing that we have to go into these long arguments on size because it is completely trivial. Make Ridley smaller and keep him larger than Samus. It's just so dang easy. Oh, but Samus is already a big character. SO? THAT DOESN'T NEGATE THAT YOU CAN KEEP HIM LARGER THAN HER? Bowser and Ganondorf are larger than her, make Ridley about their size. Easy. Or, y'know, make him a bit bigger. No reason you can't.

This guy is getting close to asking the question "Why is Ridley the size that he is in Metroid?" It's because he's a boss, yeah. Now what if he was playable? Doesn't matter that he has never been before, it's still obvious that he'd be smaller. This happens all the dang time. Ridley is not an exception. WHY ARE CHARACTERS THE SIZES THEY ARE? It's just a matter of what's necessary. That's why there are inconsistencies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
"Donkey Kong is already one of the largest character in Smash, and King K. Rool is huge in comparison to him, just look at DK64! He's much too big."

"Don't worry, he was small in that Mario game."

"OH, I SEE, SO BECAUSE HIS SIZE WAS COMPLETELY NOT IMPORTANT AND WAS NECESSARY TO BE ALTERED SO HE COULD BE PLAYABLE BECAUSE REALLY THATS WHAT MATTERS RIGHT BEING PLAYABLE BECAUSE PEOPLE WANT TO PLAY AS HIM HE WAS RESIZED TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN."

"Then again Mario is cartoony so that suddenly matters a lot now."

"Oh, so in Twilight Princess which had a rather serious atmosphere about it, Link was actually wang-level with Ganondorf and yet in Smash which borrows from TP, Link is chest-level with Ganondorf. In conclusion I guess I'm full of **** and just like making up stuff."

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Does anyone think that Ridley could possibly be one of the easiest newcomers to make?
Resize his Brawl model, and give him a similar moveset to his boss battle.

Top Bottom