• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Here's my two cents-

There is no reason whatsoever for Ridley to NOT be in Smash. Even if he only makes it in one game, he's earned a slot by now. I'm not saying he's a shoo-in this game, but I am saying he's earned a playable role in Smash.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
Ah I know what you want to say, and yeah no point in arguing. :)

Well fortunately enough we all have enough imagination to believe in playable Ridley for you, so don't worry about it. :D
I've definitely imagined Ridley being playable before and it was pretty cool. Kraid would make a pretty cool character too, but that's probably never gonna happen.

The fans in this thread have refuted every argument (and by refuted, I mean stomped to death).

If you wanna stick around and troll, feel free, but nothing good is going to come from us rehashing those many arguments yet again. If, as you say, we know what you're gonna say, what's the point in you being here? If you've got nothing new to say, just leave. No one wants to hear the same stupid, double standard arguments for the thousandth time.
You guys really don't like it when someone disagrees with Ridley being playable. Every argument huh? Last I checked Ridley's never been playable in a smash bros. game, so those "trolls" obviously know something you don't.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
You guys really don't like it when someone disagrees with Ridley being playable. Every argument huh? Last I checked Ridley's never been playable in a smash bros. game, so those "trolls" obviously know something you don't.
Mostly we don't like stupid reasoning, most of it easily refutable and based on double standards, to keep a character out of the game. And we've heard it all before. Honestly, I welcome someone with a good reason to prevent Ridley from getting in. Do you have one? 'cause if not, you add literally nothing to this thread except controversy.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
No, we're just tired of the same old argument, particularly since it's one that doesn't have that much ground. Also, by that logic, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Little Mac, Palutena, etc. will never be in the game and their haters are right.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I have yet to see a good argument against Ridley's inclusion. Have I seen good arguments that suggest he won't be playable in Smash 4 at this point? Yes. A few times. Have I seen good arguments that suggest he SHOULDN'T be playable? No. Never once have I seen a good argument for that.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
Mostly we don't like stupid reasoning, most of it easily refutable and based on double standards, to keep a character out of the game. And we've heard it all before. Honestly, I welcome someone with a good reason to prevent Ridley from getting in. Do you have one? 'cause if not, you add literally nothing to this thread except controversy.
It's like anything said on this site affects the actual game though. It's all just for fun, so if I want to share my opinion(one that happens to be different from your) This is clearly the place to do it. Also I've read alot of this thread, the main reason all those people gave up isn't because your arguments were so good it was because
1) The debates were almost all 50 to 1(If it was a fair 1 on 1 debate it wouldn't end in a stomp)
2) You guys are the most stubborn out of all other supporters

Again I'm not saying it couldn't work just that he is somewhat of an issue, even if you all can't accept that.

No, we're just tired of the same old argument, particularly since it's one that doesn't have that much ground. Also, by that logic, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Little Mac, Palutena, etc. will never be in the game and their haters are right.
Fair enough.

Post-Script: I love you profile pic!

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Again I'm not saying it couldn't work just that he is somewhat of an issue, even if you all can't accept that.
Sure he is, but the issues could be worked around without too much complication. Honestly, implementing Ridley would be far easier than we know characters like the Ice Climbers or Olimar are, and yet they've been in two games each (probably three in the ICs' case). So it's not that we're denying there are potential issues; we're just saying they can be worked around if Sakurai cares to (especially since he's done it with other characters before), and that people who deny that there's any chance for Ridley to be in because he's too big are stupid.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
Sure he is, but the issues could be worked around without too much complication. Honestly, implementing Ridley would be far easier than we know characters like the Ice Climbers or Olimar are, and yet they've been in two games each (probably three in the ICs' case). So it's not that we're denying there are potential issues; we're just saying they can be worked around if Sakurai cares to (especially since he's done it with other characters before), and that people who deny that there's any chance for Ridley to be in because he's too big are stupid.
Of course he could be put in the game. I'm in no way saying it's impossible, but he won't be playable. Nintendo has done a pretty good job of keeping him consistantly huge for over 20 years, I don't think they want to break that streak.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Of course he could be put in the game. I'm in no way saying it's impossible, but he won't be playable. Nintendo has done a pretty good job of keeping him consistantly huge for over 20 years, I don't think they want to break that streak.
Consistently? Ridley has varied greatly in his history, hell he changed size in the same game twice (Prime 3 and Brawl) and no one gave a damn, and the former was a canon game. If the canon games don't care to keep him at the same size, why should a non-canon game which changed his size anyway as well as the size of other characters?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Right, because Olimar isn't smaller than a quarter and Kirby's not eight inches tall.

Size. Does. Not. Matter. Stop thinking it does. Smash changes characters' sizes all the time. Charizard and Bowser's sizes in these games are laughable compared to their actual sizes, and yet Ridley's size is somehow sacred and has to be massive?

And I'm not claiming that he will definitely be playable, by the way. I'm just saying there's no real reason he can't be.

Thanks! You're avatar made me chuckle.

Does anyone have any predictions on when Ridley might get revealed on the site?

I personally think Ridley will be unlockable, but that didn't stop the toon link reveal this early, so...
I wish I had a guess. Honestly, with no Metroid game on the horizon, it might be a while...or it could be tomorrow. Who knows?

You're right, he probably would be unlockable, though.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ridley's size has varied greatly, it's hardly consistant. And he's not very huge here.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
Ridley's size has varied greatly, it's hardly consistant. And he's not very huge here.
"Varied greatly" Not really. His wings sure have, but he's been consistantly huge in every game except the original. Oh and both his and Kraids original puny sprites were retconned in Zero Mission.

Ridley's size over the years:
http://www.gamesradar.com/the-ever-changing-sizes-of-samus-ridley-and-kraid/?page=2

Pretty consistant compared to characters like Bowser who go from 6' to 100' to 10' then to 2,000' within the course of a few years.

Bowser:
http://www.gamesradar.com/the-ever-changing-sizes-of-mario-and-bowser/

The two are hardly compareable, and Charizard is only 5' 7'' in the games, pretty accurate if you ask me, or anybody.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Actually, they have broken that streak tons of times by now, Ridley has been nearly as inconsistent in size as Bowser (not including spin-offs.)

In Metroid 1 he was tiny.
In Super Metroid he was suddenly huge.
In Melee's intro he was barely taller than Samus, but his wings were huge.
In Metroid Fusion he was even bigger than in Super Metroid, but his wings were smaller than ever.
In Metroid Prime his body wasn't too big, but his wings were enormous.
In Zero Mission he was huge with small wings again.
In Metroid Prime 3 he was ginormous as Meta Ridley. As Omega Ridley he was suddenly a lot smaller. Yes, he changes size in the very same game, and a Metroid game nonetheless.
In Brawl he was big, probably his best size yet since he has both big wings and body. Changes when he becomes Meta Ridley to smaller body and bigger wings.
In Other M he was suddenly ginormous again.

Furthermore, Smash Bros' is a spin-off, so size is a big whatever. It wouldn't be fun if the game couldn't give canon the big middle finger here and there, that's why we see Queen Bee and Petey Piranha playable in Mario Kart. Heck, it's the reason we see Bowser playable in spin-offs to begin with. Sometimes, canon needs to be broken in order to make way for fun, and Sakurai has done that plenty of times by now, Ridley should be no exception to that. If Ridley isn't in as a playable character, it'll be because of other reasons.

The two are hardly compareable, and Charizard is only 5' 7'' in the games, pretty accurate if you ask me, or anybody.
Not a very lucky example since Charizard has become bigger in X & Y :p

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
See mods?
There is nothing to talk about regarding Ridley at this point,so much that the only time this thread gets very active is started by someone who isn't very keen on Ridley.It's hard not to be a little bit off topic.
That is Sakurai's fault. It is completely a slap in the face to Metroid to have only one playable character for this long. It is the most popular franchise after Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda, has been around just as long, and far lesser series have had far more playables than they deserve just due to uniqueness, etc. Here you have a unique character for a MAJOR series, which is both classic AND still hugely popular today...huge fanbase...really no excuse for not being in by now other than lack of creativity or simply complete ignorance of nintendo fans. He is the kind of character who would alone make people buy the game who may not otherwise (including me). This is a SYSTEM-SELLING game...it's something you get right, period. So, if you risk selling units of both the game AND the system for failing to put a character in the game, you fail to do your job. Ridley SHOULD be in, and there is no good reason for him not being in. The size "argument" is tired and lame. He should be in. It is a disservice to Metroid fans. Sakurai should be smart enough to know better.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Allow me to quote Yoda from Star Wars when I say, "Size matters not."

Smash Bros. is a game which does not affect canon of other Nintendo games. If they gave a crap about character size, we wouldn't get Oimar, a tiny humanoid alien in Smash. He was resized around Kirby's size IIRC. And if they took Ridley's large size away, they wouldn't be taking away his most notable trait. Ridley is known for being an evil, fire breathing power house of a dragon from space, and being Samus' arch-enemy. Large size is not what Ridley is known for, it's what Kraid is known for.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Allow me to quote Yoda from Star Wars when I say, "Size matters not."

Smash Bros. is a game which does not affect canon of other Nintendo games. If they gave a crap about character size, we wouldn't get Oimar, a tiny humanoid alien in Smash. He was resized around Kirby's size IIRC. And if they took Ridley's large size away, they wouldn't be taking away his most notable trait. Ridley is known for being an evil, fire breathing power house of a dragon, and being Samus' arch-enemy. Large size is not what Ridley is known for, it's what Kraid is known for.
I believe you mean "space dragon".

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I REALLY hope that Ridley gets confirmed/deconfirmed soon,because that will be the end of this stupid fights.
No, you don't want Ridley to be deconfirmed... because then we will have to endure more stupid fights till SSB5.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
True words spoken from a Toad supporter.

Honestly stupidity will reign no matter what happens. Even after the game is done, people will still likely clamor for DLC/sequels/etc.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
Accurate?
As compared to the 1' 4" Pikachu?

Seems legit.
Charizard is accurate, Pikachu, along with Jiggs, squirtle, and Ivysaur were the one who got scaled up, not the other way around. Compare the other Pokemon to PT trainer and then tell me Charizard's the inaccurate one.

Edit: So how opposed is everyone to Other M Ridley being playable? I've always imagined Super Metroid RIdley like the one in Brawl, but with Samus' redesign and what not it could possibly be Other M.

Top Bottom