• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
Let's be real though, giant Meta Ridley with an arm cannon? Hell yea.

Also, it's funny because TP Ganondorf could probably jump up and smack him in the beak. I will never get over how tall Ganondorf is in TP.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Congrats on a million views everyone! That's an unbelievable accomplishment and my own thread does not even have 1/4th of the number of views, which is crazy to think about. Goodness. Anyways, RIDLEY FOR SMASH 4 STUFF

majora_787

Smash Hero
Pretty sure Chrom would be saved as an unlockable character with Marth and Ike seeming to be starters.

lol when they show Ridley "over 20 unexpected characters"
People say Sakurai can't mention bosses and show playable characters in the background.

"Over 20 unexpected characters!" *shows an expected character and a character who ISN'T playable*

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It's all coming together.

I swear to God if the August Direct is on Metroid's anniversary I might just lose it.

And if Shulk is revealed during it on that day, I just might kill something.
Oh, we'll get Ridley all right...

...Right after the Chorus Men's reveal trailer. After their gameplay montage, Ridley will show up and bite off their heads.

D

Deleted member

I'm definitely going to regret saying this, but I'm starting to believe the too bigots' points about Bowser not being a good counterexample has some basis to it. (Which is ironic, given I've fought tooth and nail against that in the past)

Yes, Bowser's size fluctuates a lot, but there's still a general size compared to Mario in most appearances, which the universal size chart on MarioWiki puts him at.

(Cropped out Bowser and Mario alone)

Despite this, I feel using Bowser as a counterexample still works, given that while the size difference between Mario and Bowser reflects Bowser's "general size", it's still noticeably smaller of a gap (at least to me).

Essentially just like the size difference between Link and Ganondorf in TP being lessened in Brawl.

So it definitely shows that Sakurai's willing to scale in-series characters closer together for Smash, though it's unknown by how much he's willing to do so.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It really isn't much of a difference between scaling down a 10-foot-tall character and a 12-foot-tall character. We're not talking about Dark Meta Ridley here.

D

Deleted member

It really isn't much of a difference between scaling down a 10-foot-tall character and a 12-foot-tall character. We're not talking about Dark Meta Ridley here.
That reminded me of what is my personal favorite "concept" name for Ridley: Void Ridley, I think the only real reason it's my favorite is because it sounds cool (imo) and leaves the impression in my mind that Void Ridley would have the ability to control darkness, other-worldly energy, or be able to manipulate voids and thereby nothingness to an extent (sending/pulling things from void pocket dimensions or spaces) which would be SOOOOOOOOOOO GREAT if that somehow became a thing in a Metroid Game.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You know, people say being playable wouldn't fit Ridleys character but being a boss that respawns after exploding and getting obliterated after about 10 seconds really wouldn't fit him either, especially if he is only the size of Bowser.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
what would be a good place to let us know of ridley's fate?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not to turn this into a full-blown argument, but neither Bowser nor Ganondorf are 10 feet tall nor is Ridley 12 feet.

I'm not saying that scaling down Ridley is impossible, especially since it happened within a Metroid game (Prime 3) and this treasure of a beta animation exists for said game:

(Seriously, this is even more egregious than the Meta to Omega switch in the final product! Not that it's a bad thing; it's....perfect.)

...but Bowser and Ganondorf were only slightly scaled down in comparison to the hypothetical sizes people make for "Roidley".

(But of course, the beta animation Meta Ridley is just the right size. :awesome: Yes, I'm going to shamelessly promote it.)

In Meta We Trust!

Let "Roidley" be a boss. Have Meta be the playable one. After all, organic Ridley and Meta Ridley co-exist in the SSE...

Hong

The Strongest
Do people really still make the size argument?

No, really. I am not being condescending.

Surely people cannot care anymore? I mean, did you see Kirby? Back in Smash 64? How he is looking Mario in the eye even though he should be shorter than a soda can?

Surely you remember this.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Hmm, one thing that might tell us why Sakurai doesn't want to reveal Ridley as a boss IF he is a boss is that they are version exclusive and he wants to save something to be revealed after the 3DS release.

And yes, Dark emperor could easily be a normal hazard lke Twinrova is.

D

Deleted member

Oh god! I love Ridley's Brawl theme, I really hope it plays during his trailer, it would be +1 reason to watch it over and over again

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Not to turn this into a full-blown argument, but neither Bowser nor Ganondorf are 10 feet tall nor is Ridley 12 feet.

I'm not saying that scaling down Ridley is impossible, especially since it happened within a Metroid game (Prime 3) and this treasure of a beta animation exists for said game:

(Seriously, this is even more egregious than the Meta to Omega switch in the final product! Not that it's a bad thing; it's....perfect.)

...but Bowser and Ganondorf were only slightly scaled down in comparison to the hypothetical sizes people make for "Roidley".

(But of course, the beta animation Meta Ridley is just the right size. :awesome: Yes, I'm going to shamelessly promote it.)

In Meta We Trust!

Let "Roidley" be a boss. Have Meta be the playable one. After all, organic Ridley and Meta Ridley co-exist in the SSE...
WHAT IS THIS!!!!! I want to share this with everyone and cause massive discussion on Gamefaqs!!!!!!!

I wonder how that will turn out?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Bowser and Ganondorf support the principle that resizing happens when necessary to create a workable character.

A lot of the TooBigots I've seen dismiss the Bowser/Ganondorf point not on the basis of them not being downsized as much as Ridley would have to be, but because so much of their "arguments" are based off of the notion that to change a character's size in any significant capacity from canon is to completely and utterly ruin that character forever.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Bowser and Ganondorf support the principle that resizing happens when necessary to create a workable character.

A lot of the TooBigots I've seen dismiss the Bowser/Ganondorf point not on the basis of them not being downsized as much as Ridley would have to be, but because so much of their "arguments" are based off of the notion that to change a character's size in any significant capacity is to completely and utterly ruin that character forever.
Which, of course, lends itself to Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight, Olimar, Pikachu, etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Surely people cannot care anymore? I mean, did you see Kirby? Back in Smash 64? How he is looking Mario in the eye even though he should be shorter than a soda can?

Better example would be to use in-series characters such as the Pokémon as opposed to characters from different series regardless of their canon sizes (since crossovers tend to be inconsistent).

EDIT: For example, Mario is supposedly 5 foot something. Sonic is 3'11". Sonic is taller than Mario in every game they appear together.

Hong

The Strongest
Bowser and Ganondorf function as supporting evidence toward the principle that resizing happens when necessary to create a workable character.

A lot of the TooBigots I've seen dismiss the Bowser/Ganondorf point not on the basis of them not being downsized as much as Ridley would have to be, but because so much of their "arguments" are based off of the notion that to change a character's size in any significant capacity is to completely and utterly ruin that character forever.
Characters... with sizes not consistent to other portrayals?

It's almost as if

the characters are all trophies

and are not to scale

and have come to life to do battle in an arena that is 100% unrelated to their canon in any way, shape or form.

Imagine that.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

You'd be amazed at how passionate some of the Too Bigots are in asserting that Ridley can't ever be playable.

I try to ignore it, but it rears its ugly head so often it's hard for me to deny its existence.

D

Deleted member

Did people even forget that Pikachu in the 64 opening is the size of a human foot...
...and then is barely Mario's height? Unless you're trying to say Mario is the size of a human leg

D

Deleted member

WHAT IS THIS!!!!! I want to share this with everyone and cause massive discussion on Gamefaqs!!!!!!!

I wonder how that will turn out?
Beta footage of Prime 3 of the encounter on Pirate Homeworld Leviathan Core that used Meta Ridley (in a much smaller state than the initial encounter on Norion) instead of the newer Omega Ridley.

Hong

The Strongest
XD To be fair, the two have similar atmospheres.

Difference being Ridley fans are scarred, beaten and continuously teased by the director. For all that it is the most supported character on SmashBoards, Ridley has also had one of the roughest rides.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Imagine how people will feel if Ridley's revealed in August. Our hearts will be in our mouths and then we'll jump for joy and feel either cocky or euphoric, or both. Meanwhile, Ridley detractors everywhere will suddenly have a change of heart.

I want this so bad. I'm teasing myself. Building up false hope.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm sorry, I think you're in the wrong thread, the Robin thread is that way
To be fair, Grima could possibly be a reincarnation of Ridley's spirit, just like he's the manifestation of Demise's hate./wmg

Top Bottom