• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Then we don`t have to worry about that...phew...or...we should alert everyone and trigger self-destruction of this thread to make sure no one will get here and start mocking us? Tell me no- *pushes the button*
...Anyway, we still have to wait until August...duh...that is a cruel way to tease something, Sakurai and SSB WiiU/3DS staff...

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Then we don`t have to worry about that...phew...or...we should alert everyone and trigger self-destruction of this thread to make sure no one will get here and start mocking us? Tell me no- *pushes the button*
Goddammit, why does this happen every time Sakurai takes an inch!? Don't forget those size charts I spent months perfecting!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
In the future, when Ridley is confirmed, Sakurai will be like

Don't you remember when I teased Ridley? Pyroshpere? What? No, no, it was him in Nabit's bag, not luigi! laughs

And in an alternate future where Ridley doesn't make it in, Sakurai says

We almost put Ridley in the game. In fact, we were most of the way done, when we realized he wouldn't fit into Nabit's bag. laughs

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
In the future, when Ridley is confirmed, Sakurai will be like

Don't you remember when I teased Ridley? Pyroshpere? What? No, no, it was him in Nabit's bag, not luigi! laughs

And in an alternate future where Ridley doesn't make it in, Sakurai says

We almost put Ridley in the game. In fact, we were most of the way done, when we realized he wouldn't fit into Nabit's bag. laughs
And in the same alternate future, Peach will save Mario from Bowser in one of the games while Samus will start crying while encountering Ridley and will need a guy to save her in the newest game.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
But look. Nabbit is shown to us only a few weeks after Mushroom Kingdom U was revealed. Its been nearly a year since he's revealed the Pyrosphere.

So it can't be that Ridley is incomplete, he's purposely hiding him.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
But look. Nabbit is shown to us only a few weeks after Mushroom Kingdom U was revealed. Its been nearly a year since he's revealed the Pyrosphere.

So it can't be that Ridley is incomplete, he's purposely hiding him.
That's not a very solid argument

Nabit is tiny, and doesn't do much, yet he was left out of the stage demo. If something that easy can be incomplete, it's not hard to imagine something much BIGGER taking longer as well.

see?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
That's not a very solid argument

Nabit is tiny, and doesn't do much, yet he was left out of the stage demo. If something that easy can be incomplete, it's not hard to imagine something much BIGGER taking longer as well.

see?
Bigger things take longer to program? Perfectly logical!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Alright, some more size comparisons with my latest scale:
(ignore Samus in the second pic)

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Let's say Ridley was a stage hazard. Is it possible that they built Ridley up slowly, like... every so often, they'd work on him but only for a bit, before working on something else in the game and leaving a time period before they worked on Ridley some more? Or do you think they'd get it done in one go?

I don't know anything about this sort of thing. May as well ask. Sure, none of you work for Nintendo (I assume, unless one of you is actually a spy) but the latter might be easier? Just askin', anyway.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't think it would take so long to develop as a stage hazard that they can't even show a screenshot of him. I mean he's been willing to show us things that are incomplete or not finalized before, so why hold off on Ridley?

Even if Ridley wasn't complete as a stage hazard he could easily still show him in a Pic of the Day. MKU wasn't complete and we got to play on that stage! So it can't be that he refuses to show incomplete things.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Let's say Ridley was a stage hazard. Is it possible that they built Ridley up slowly, like... every so often, they'd work on him but only for a bit, before working on something else in the game and leaving a time period before they worked on Ridley some more? Or do you think they'd get it done in one go?

I don't know anything about this sort of thing. May as well ask. Sure, none of you work for Nintendo (I assume, unless one of you is actually a spy) but the latter might be easier? Just askin', anyway.
Probably the second one. But it's unlikely that a Stage Hazard would take a year to complete, even with procrastination. And even if Ridley was a boss after all, I wouldn't be here if Saks hadn't been clear on Ridley's function.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

I mean, I don't know how their internal production cycle works. That's different for every studio, Nintendo or not.

Your first method doesn't make much sense, though. If a team started on Ridley, or any stage hazard, they would probably keep working until they were finished, or at least at the polishing stage.

However, It's something they'd be able to start even after the pyrosphere was finished, seeing as it's kind of an addition to the stage. (assuming hazardly).

Honestly, the whole not finished thing is a bunk argument, imo. The pyrosphere's been in a good enough shape to add stuff to for at least a year, which we know from screenshots. Unless there were major, major bugs and issues and stuff, a boss does not take that long. They could have scripted the crap out of that shadow footage, done whatever they wanted to mess with us, sure. But not showing because it's not finished, when something like the yellow devil was shown last year at E3 - just doesn't hold to me.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Latter is better. It allows developers to focus on something instead of trying to work on everything at once...i guess...

And I AM WORKING FOR NINTENDO. My task was to visit this thread and see how much support Ridley gets. And that means that we will add him for this game. Thanks for your support. Just to let you know - we are using hybrid of Metroid Other M model and Super Smash Bros Brawl model. He is for now the biggest character, even bigger than Bowser.
Nope, its just a joke!...unfortunately...

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Here's a bit of encouragement for the lot of ya.

Why wouldn't they? If Ridley is a stage hazard then we've technically already seen footage of it with what's almost a direct confirmation of it too. Sure we haven't actually seen him or what he does, but that shouldn't be reserved for a Direct of any sort. Need I remind you we likely only have only one more Nintendo Direct before the 3DS release in Japan too? I doubt that'd be reserved for "Shulk joins Smash! Btw, Ridley is a stage hazard bye bye."

If Ridley is a stage hazard then I highly doubt we won't see him before the 3DS release.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Solid points. Thank you!

Yeah, I have to concur at this point. There's no way they wouldn't have just finished Ridley. So... that means that whatever his role in the game is, he's long since made and done. I'm hoping for August, but not keeping my hopes up.

Another reason I don't think he's going to be a stage hazard is because that'd mean he'd be limited to appearing in the Wii U version (except for potential trophy in 3DS version). He's a pretty big Nintendo character, I don't want to think they'd do that to him.

Hong

The Strongest
To make the :4charizard: emoticon, type "Orange Ridley" without spaces or quotations.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Once more, very impressive. Now if only the wings were just a little smaller and it would be perfect.
The shadow of his wings are huge so they're going to be big no matter what. They just have to be angled and positioned better to take up less space.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Why wouldn't they? If Ridley is a stage hazard then we've technically already seen footage of it with what's almost a direct confirmation of it too. Sure we haven't actually seen him or what he does, but that shouldn't be reserved for a Direct of any sort. Need I remind you we likely only have only one more Nintendo Direct before the 3DS release in Japan too? I doubt that'd be reserved for "Shulk joins Smash! Btw, Ridley is a stage hazard bye bye."

If Ridley is a stage hazard then I highly doubt we won't see him before the 3DS release.
Then why wait so long? Sakurai clearly has something special in store for Ridley, playable or otherwise. After all the buildup he's been putting into this darn scenario what logic would there be to just throwing him in a regular PotD instead of the usual filler? He easily, EASILY could have just straight up said, "Ridley is a stage hazard in Pyrosphere and thus not playable" during the Direct, but instead he kept us all hanging.

To add on top of that notion, no character specifically deconfirmed so far was highly requested sans Waluigi (who pretty much got snuffed after Rosalina showed up anyway). So even if Ridley isn't in the roster, I highly doubt Sakurai would kill hype by saying a character with a sizable following isn't playable before release.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Then why wait so long? Sakurai clearly has something special in store for Ridley, playable or otherwise. After all the buildup he's been putting into this darn scenario what logic would there be to just throwing him in a regular PotD instead of the usual filler? He easily, EASILY could have just straight up said, "Ridley is a stage hazard in Pyrosphere and thus not playable" during the Direct, but instead he kept us all hanging.

To add on top of that notion, no character specifically deconfirmed so far was highly requested sans Waluigi (who pretty much got snuffed after Rosalina showed up anyway). So even if Ridley isn't in the roster, I highly doubt Sakurai would kill hype by saying a character with a sizable following isn't playable before release.
Looking at it from that angle you've surely got a point. I don't think it's impossible for him to just be a pic of the day though, if he isn't that then we won't see him before release, that's for sure.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
OrangeRidley
:OrangeRidley:
orangeridley
:orangeridley:
Orangeridley
:Orangeridley:
orangeRidley
:orangeRidley:

Just a test to see if this cruel humour of the mod is true.

IT DOESN'T WORK!!!

Last edited:

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
You know this stage hazard or whatever doesn't look at all complicated they could have had it in the demo must have been incompetence why it was not.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
To be honest, I think it's still possible for Ridley to have multiple roles, i.e. playable and a stage hazard. It would kinda be like Toon Link with that 3DS exclusive stage Spirit Tracks: when someone plays as Toon Link, he isn't part of the stage, when no-one is playing as Toon Link, he is part of the stage. Or better yet, Bowser was a boss in Super Smash Bros. Melee for Adventure mode. When you fought him, he was bigger and a more regular canon size, but when he was playable, he was his scaled down self. Oh, but "Ridley can't be both" say the detractors, "he's the exception". I'm sorry, but who's making the game here? It's rather annoying that the Ridley situation is being dragged all this time. I can only think some reasons why (I'm probably repeating myself, which in this case, sorry):

~ Sakurai didn't want to show Ridley at E3 because it would've impacted hype.
What I mean here, is that whatever Ridley's role is in the game, the news would have possibly taken the spotlight away from the newcomers shown at the event (Palutena, Mii Fighters, Pac-Man). If Ridley was shown as playable, people wouldn't care so much for those other characters, and the discussion would have gone to Ridley (though it should). The same would happen if he was shown not playable, except being shown non-playable would have made some people lose interest in the game. Sakurai probably wanted to hype these characters, not have something overshadow them (I'm... so... sorry...). None of those 3 characters would've stood a chance.

~ Sakurai probably wanted to not show unplayable Ridley at E3 in respect for Ridley fans.
In the unfortunate event that Sakurai has chosen the lazy copy & paste route of Stage Hazard-ly (basically copying what a third party developer has already done), Sakurai probably didn't want to reveal Ridley at E3 in case it made people de-hype. De-confirming Ridley in a PotD pre-E3 is bad enough, but de-confirming him at a big event would've been twisting the knife. It would be much, much worse post-E3 now that we're edging towards the Japanese release date. He might not even talk about Ridley until after the 3DS version is released, so if there's no PotD or mention in the estimated August Nintendo Direct, then we won't know about Ridley's status until post release.

+ Sakurai possibly has something planned.
Which could be playable Ridley. Tricking people into thinking Ridley is some stage boss, when he could be playable instead. The ultimate troll. Or Ridley has multiple roles, both playable and as a WiiU exclusive stage hazard. It would be rather bad to hype up a character that would end up not playable. Apart from Yellow Devil (which let's be honest, no-one expecting it in the game, let alone playable), no popular character has been hyped up this much and then confirmed not playable. That just seems wrong, if you want to hype something as a boss, you show that boss, THEN you talk about what they do a while later (like with Yellow Devil). So wouldn't it make sense to hype up a character (months of teasing) that's both playable and a stage hazard? Perhaps Ridley's time to shine is in August.

+ Sakurai might want to keep Ridley's playable status hidden (until after release).
This can also link to the previous point. If Ridley is playable, Sakurai could have planned to be keep Ridley as a secret/hidden unlockable. R.O.B. was confirmed to be an enemy for the Sub Space Emissary, via the Dojo!!, but after people played the game (and after he posted the respective secret character page on the site), people discovered that R.O.B. was also a playable character, but a secret unlockable.

- Sakurai is a cruel, cruel man
He likes to keep people on their toes, and likes seeing people argue. He enjoys the Ridley debate so much, and he's waiting for a chance to twist the knife. Choosing to wait until the week before the 3DS version's Japanese release, he posts a PotD detailing a Stage Hazard-ly (even though he had the whole year to do so). He likes to watch fans of characters suffer.
Though I got the impression that he doesn't like letting fans down, and seems light-hearted. I think he must've regretted that PotD with Waluigi, though it might have been a combination of a translational error and the wrong interpretation from the fans. If he de-confirms Ridley in a harsh way, whilst giving other dis-confirmed characters a lighter, easier, and less painful dis-confirmations, then I don't think I'll know what to think of the man. Nor will I ever trust him ever again.

- Sakurai is just deluded and thinks that we're okay with a Stage Hazard-ly
Yeah... he might just think we'd be happy with whatever as long as Ridley's in the game. He is wrong. W-R-O-N-G.

If I can think of anything else, I'll post it later. Case in point, I hope Sakurai is hyping up a playable Ridley, or even a multiple role Ridley (Playable and WiiU exclusive stage hazard), otherwise I will not impressed by this amount of teasing for him to then reveal a non-playable boss hazard only Ridley =/

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
^ - Nintendo does not want to have to have to include a 1TB harddrive with every copy of Smash 4 just so HD Ridley can fit.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
^ - Nintendo does not want to have to have to include a 1TB harddrive with every copy of Smash 4 just so HD Ridley can fit.
That's a Rid(ley)iculous suggestion, stop. Even if it's a joke, it's not funny, never has been and never will be =/

Edit: Sorry, I'm not targeting you, it's just that I've just seen the joke so many times on the internet that it gets irritating, so when you posted it it set me off. Apologies if I seemed rude.

Last edited:
Top Bottom