• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Yeah this pic does not work. You can't take two images shot from two completely different angles which would create two different perspectives and just meld them together and create an accurate representation of scale. This is the haphazard kind of evidence that makes us look worse. Pleeeease be careful! =/
That was more of a joke post. Here is the accurate one someone else made. Most of his size comes from his wings.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It really doesn't matter if Ridley picks up Pikachu, though I believe that regardless of if he does or not Ridley is only flying at ABOUT the second platform level, maybe a little higher if we are able to see his tail. I'm not entirely sure on that though and don't have any evidence on that. :p

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I still do not believe Ridley picks up Pikachu. Nobody has ever explained why the supposed clutched Pikachu just vanishes out of sight. And it will always bug me that, if the supposed shadow was Pikachu, its body is bizarrely aligned on the horizontal x plane. Which is ridiculous. Makes Pikachu seem like a flag waving in the air.

D

Deleted member 245254

No, you said we were using the shadow as PROOF he's playable while claiming you were "disproving" us and using the shadow as evidence he isn't. We're speculating here just as much as you are. However, with this being Ridley's support thread, YES, we'd like to see him as playable. Right now, all we have is seconds of a shadow moving and grabbing Pikachu, We have a reasonable doubt to believe he's entirely a boss/stage hazard. You're putting words in everyone's mouths here and quite frankly, it's ridiculous to claim you're being attacked when you're using pointed statements like that against us. Innocent of blame, you are not.
No, I was never trying to prove Ridley is playable. I've always been of the opinion he won't be, since the beginning (obviously).

Essentially, my point is...

That analyzing the shadow is a pretty muddy way of coming to any conclusions. Folks believe he will be playable simply because he is smaller, and why would they make him smaller if he won't be playable and is only in to be a boss?

My argument was that we cannot definitively say he is small with the evidence we have.

I'm not putting words in to anyone's mouth. You are basically straw-man attacking me.

If you're not going to address my points, why even reply? Do you just get a kick out of just attacking the integrity of my desire to debate his inclusion instead of actually debating his inclusion?

majora_787

Smash Hero
The issue is, what happens with Pikachu, unlike Ridley's size/speed/general movements in the air like moving left, right, up, or down, can't really be determined from the shadow easily at all. We can't even agree on what parts of the shadow are and are not Pikachu at any given time.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I still do not believe Ridley picks up Pikachu. Nobody has ever explained why the supposed clutched Pikachu just vanishes out of sight. And it will always bug me that, if the supposed shadow was Pikachu, its body is bizarrely aligned on the horizontal x plane. Which is ridiculous. Makes Pikachu seem like a flag waving in the air.
So, there's two explanations for us seeing Pikachu's tail. Either Pikachu jumped, or the angle of the shadows made a part of Ridley look like Pikachu. I think its more likely Pikachu just jumped at this point, though.

Morbi

Scavenger
Perhaps we could discuss Ridley's chance as a playable character using logic and objective fact rather than criticizing each others debating skills? It is not friendly and there is no reason to get aggressive. @Zipzo is quite clearly responding defensively as we are antagonizing him. There is no reason to do that. So please stop. Discuss his shadow; by all means, there is no reason to make it personal.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
He does have a shadow. It's just hard to see.
Could you please point this out to me, I can't see it.

EDIT: Found it. That is really hard to see, had to watch in slow mo :p

If it's his tail that's even better evidence of him being higher up, because his tail is likely to reach way further down than the rest of his body.
Did you completely ignore what I said? The shadows stay approximately the same regardless of how high they are.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So Pikachu jumped then? I suppose that's possible.
Actually, I think Pikachu probably just kept walking, and Ridley followed behind him, stopped, then kept moving. I see little implication that Pikachu was actually grabbed by Ridley. Not to mention the idea that Ridley, while in the air, was able to reach down and grab Pikachu without actually moving from his location, and then let go of Pikachu with no apparent reaction, is an idea that I find to be something of a stretch.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Perhaps we could discuss Ridley's chance as a playable character using logic and objective fact rather than criticizing each others debating skills? It is not friendly and there is no reason to get aggressive. @Zipzo is quite clearly responding defensively as we are antagonizing him. There is no reason to do that. So please stop. Discuss his shadow; by all means, there is no reason to make it personal.
I wasn't going to say anything, but now you've made it personal.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I can't believe as soon as I make a joke about people arguing that Ridley follows his own unique lighting physics that work differently from everyone else's, someone actually sits here and tries to argue the essential equivalent. That's Ridley special. .... Nah, that wasn't a typo.

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who thinks there isn't much to speculate that hasn't been already until more info comes out? Am I the only one who wants to have fun here? I want to get artistic, anybody want to discuss potential character designs?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who thinks there isn't much to speculate that hasn't been already until more info comes out? Am I the only one who wants to have fun here? I want to get artistic, anybody want to discuss potential character designs?
Aside from that evidence of a jump in Ridley's movement, there's really nothing we can get that's new until something new actually happens. We can keep putting out the facts about his size/speed/stage/teasing/jumping for another month but it won't actually produce anything.

Pretty sure we'll get Sakurai's own take on Other M Concept Artley. I'm sure he'll do a great job of it too.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
I agree with you.....without a shadow of a doubt.

Lets change the subject. Im in need of feedback on this Ridley Scale.

Morbi

Scavenger
I would not mind a red rocket Ridley palette swap; one reminiscent of his design on the Super Metroid cover-art. Other than that, I am expecting Other M Ridley. That prospect excites me to an extent as that is the design that I always envisioned in Smash 4.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
To be completely and utterly honest, I am not even expecting him for the August Direct. I feel as though the only way to solve this mystery is to play the game. Which, in and of itself only supports the notion that he is playable. If we do not receive any news regarding bossley prior to release, it is safe to assume he is playable. No unlocks required.
Who do you think is going to be revealed in the August direct?

majora_787

Smash Hero
I have to wonder. I really hope Ridley has a Meta-Ridley alternate costume. Like, this is no secret, but IMO Meta Ridley is the best Ridley. And if it's not an alt I might cry.

EDIT: I dunno who would be revealed in the direct. Maybe Chihi- CHROM. Chrom. Maybe? Possibly. Though I'd imagine he's a hidden character. But he also isn't really something I'd save to be a surprise because he isn't exactly surprising.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Did you completely ignore what I said? The shadows stay approximately the same regardless of how high they are.
The angle of the light source is also important, not just the height.

The height can matter because the angle affects how the shadow is portrayed at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's perfectly reasonable to assume Pikachu is just hanging out offscreen.

Though I like to think Ridley grabbed Pikachu. Otherwise my scale charts based on this pic are basically worthless.
Hate to say it, but I think your scale charts are inaccurate.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
NO.

Nah, psych. Go right ahead! No need to wait for anybody to stop arguing. (fat chance) Take the initiative and start up something. If you're provocative enough, you can sway the thread your way! :)

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I don't people caught me say it, but could somebody extrapolate Ridley's size in relation to the actual stage based on how high other characters are? Find a character level with where his head is, find one level with his feet, compare how high the two are in relation, etc. That's much easier to show then shadows.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No, I was never trying to prove Ridley is playable. I've always been of the opinion he won't be, since the beginning (obviously).

Essentially, my point is...

That analyzing the shadow is a pretty muddy way of coming to any conclusions. Folks believe he will be playable simply because he is smaller, and why would they make him smaller if he won't be playable and is only in to be a boss?

My argument was that we cannot definitively say he is small with the evidence we have.

I'm not putting words in to anyone's mouth. You are basically straw-man attacking me.

If you're not going to address my points, why even reply? Do you just get a kick out of just attacking the integrity of my desire to debate his inclusion instead of actually debating his inclusion?
No, you said we were using the shadow as PROOF he's playable while claiming you were "disproving" us and using the shadow as evidence he isn't. We're speculating here just as much as you are. However, with this being Ridley's support thread, YES, we'd like to see him as playable. Right now, all we have is seconds of a shadow moving and grabbing Pikachu, We have a reasonable doubt to believe he's entirely a boss/stage hazard. You're putting words in everyone's mouths here and quite frankly, it's ridiculous to claim you're being attacked when you're using pointed statements like that against us. Innocent of blame, you are not.
Um, Zipzo, you completely misread his post. We know you weren't trying to prove Ridley is playable (obviously). What he said was, "WE" were using the shadow as proof, while "YOU" were claiming you were disproving us.

Anyway, doesn't particularly matter at this point. There's not much more evidence we can say about it. Either way, Ridley still looks very small based on the shadows, and the shadows don't change size based on how high up the character is (they only change position). Plus, Ridley "jumping" supports him as playable as well. But it only supports the notion, we can't prove anything yet.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh i have a confession

I knew the whole time but.

Remember the shadow footage of ridley.

You can see him holding pikachu, bur remember pikachus tail in the shadow footage...

Ummm about that im 95% sure thats not pikachus tail its ridleys tail talon.

D

Deleted member 245254

Um, I'm pretty sure Pikachu does have a shadow in that scene. It's just hard to see since his shadow is small and his body blocks most of it. If you look at the scene closely, you can see moments where the floor is darker than it is the next moment, and there are a few points where Pikachu's thin tail shadow can be seen. So, there's no modification to Pikachu's shadow.
Yeah, I've watched it several times now in 1080p full screen and cannot see what you're talking about. It also would not make sense for Pikachu's shadow to be on his right, considering shadows are being portrayed to the front right of the stage given the light source.

Unless you can make this visually apparent, this is false.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
The angle of the light source is also important, not just the height.

The height can matter because the angle affects how the shadow is portrayed at all.
The camera isn't the light source here, the light is still coming from the same place :p

And this isn't science. Like I said (And you keep ignoring), I've compared dozens of shadows on the Pyrosphere, the size of the shadows stays the same size regardless of height.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Who do you think is going to be revealed in the August direct?
Shulk sadly.....

Well we can look at Ridley's tail. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Ridley's tail bone pure white in Other M?

The added color on his tail could give us an idea what color his skin might be.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's perfectly reasonable to assume Pikachu is just hanging out offscreen.

Though I like to think Ridley grabbed Pikachu. Otherwise my scale charts based on this pic are basically worthless.
Couldn't that just be part of his foot?

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
NO.

Nah, psych. Go right ahead! No need to wait for anybody to stop arguing. (fat chance) Take the initiative and start up something. If you're provocative enough, you can sway the thread your way! :)
I was thinking of sketching up a design that would work for Smash. I'll see how this goes.

D

Deleted member

I don't know where this came from, but it's hands down my favorite representation of Ridley:

I don't care that it's art for Omega Ridley give me this ^ or this:

Black Ridley is Best Ridley.

in-game and my unbounded and uncontrollable happiness would cure cancer and end world hunger.

I think these representations of Ridley are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AMAZING.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I don't know where this came from, but it's hands down my favorite representation of Ridley:

I don't care that it seems to be more Meta-Ridley than normal Ridley give me this ^ or this:

in-game and my unbounded and uncontrollable happiness would cure cancer and end world hunger.

I think these representations of Ridley are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AMAZING.
That's the concept art for Omega Ridley :)

EDIT: Oh, now that I look at it again, now I see where the artist that posed Omega Ridley in this got the pose from...

Untitled.png

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah, I've watched it several times now in 1080p full screen and cannot see what you're talking about. It also would not make sense for Pikachu's shadow to be on his right, considering shadows are being portrayed to the front right of the stage given the light source.

Unless you can make this visually apparent, this is false.
Screen shot 2014-06-15 at 10.54.05 PM.png

See that really thin line across the floor? That's the shadow of Pikachu's tail.

Last edited:
Top Bottom