• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Well, E3 is officially over, and while we didn't see our dragon, he is still nonetheless in the running.

So with that in mind, we are free to reach 1,000 pages.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm just glad he wasn't confirmed to be a boss hazard. At least, not yet.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Going to do a post (but a definitive one this time) as E3 is now over.

Now, I agree that this thread should calm down a little since it isn't a deconfirmation but rather a denial of acknowledge which means that we know absolutely nothing new but we can talk about it.

Unfortunately, we have officially nothing to talk about his chance now. Just opinions which is interpretations.

More details tomorrow.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Guys, new Metroid on the horizon! We're probably getting a new trailer on the next Direct! This E3 was amazing, Nintendo definitely won E3 by a long shot!

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
The funny part is that Ridley is probably still in, Nintendo was just stupid enough not to reveal him at E3.
I just wanted the promise of a new Metroid, they were going to announce it for 2015 anyway, even if it had a trailer.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
The funny part is that Ridley is probably still in, Nintendo was just stupid enough not to reveal him at E3.
Would rather say devilishly smart, like I said in another post, even if Ridley is a stage hazard boss, playable character or both, people will still be debating until we know for sure, plus saving Ridley as a ace up the sleeve would make more sense to hold off closer to the date, to create more hype and remind people about the game who might have forgot. Having all Smash hype in one basket may take away attention from the other characters in Smash and Nintendo games coming out.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Hearing about those new Metroid games really helped put me at ease since it gives a reason as to why Ridley was absent at E3.

He's being saved to coincide with new Metroid hype before appearing in Smash.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So sadly the war is not over.

But does help ridley.

Why would the pyrosphere not be a demo stage, that does not mean ridley is a boss hazard.

Though the 2 confirmed upcoming metroid games could be why he was not announced at E3,

I mean august direct could show the trailer for 1 of them, the. Before/after it we get a s,ash character trailer then magnet.)

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
To all the people that are worried about the 47 character roster, Brawl's e3 demo css could barely fit 20 characters on the screen, and when you unlocked newcomers in brawl the icons got smaller. It is very unlikely the css we seen is what its going to look like in the final release, we should not be going by it at all.
Like I said before in this BE-YUTIFUL POST I've quoted in this thread before, that appears to be the case, lest Sakurai somehow thing 47 is not so much of an awkward number.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'm rather surprised. I thought the general consensus here was that if Pyrosphere was absent from all demos (which it was), then that would mean a huge boost for Ridley. Oddly enough it seems that many here take this information in the opposite direction.

I personally take the news as a good thing, because if we saw an empty Pyrosphere after the shadow tease, the answer would be all too obvious.

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
I'm rather surprised. I thought the general consensus here was that if Pyrosphere was absent from all demos (which it was), then that would mean a huge boost for Ridley. Oddly enough it seems that many here take this information in the opposite direction.

I personally take the news as a good thing, because if we saw an empty Pyrosphere after the shadow tease, the answer would be all too obvious.
I believe Ridley will be a secret character. It's the only reason I can think of (besides stage hazard) as to why this could be happening.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Remember when the idea of DK not getting a newcomer was laughable? Or when Mewtwo was guaranteed? So much has changed.
Yep. In a way it's almost as though all the most sensible character additions (that have yet to be revealed) are on equal footing now, ironically. Makes me feel better in a twisted sense knowing that Ridley's supportbase will be far from alone in the rivers of disappointment.

It is well known Sakurai favor the franchises he created/worked on in Smash Bros. Kirby characters were essentially the stars in SSE, plus the franchise got two reps in Brawl. If Dark Pit is playable, I wouldn't be surprised. And if Ridley was in the game, honestly, he could put the whole ****ing cast of Kid Icarus Uprising in Smash and I wouldn't complain (the game is actually pretty good, ok?).
Same here. Haven't played much of Uprising though since I was unsure if it would be my cup of tea but I have no doubts on it actually being good. That said, the few here blaming/bashing other characters or using them as a scapegoat because so-and-so didn't get in can bugger off, especially the one who had the audacity to compare SSB4 to Mario Kart 8's roster. You know who you are; none of that ****'s gonna get Ridley in Smash.

I'm glad you showed this, because if you hadn't I would've eventually thought for certain that Metroid would become the next Star Fox for a whole gen; another IP for Nintendo to just sit on, but as it stands they'll try to please both the 2D and 3D fans? This'll be the best thing since the Prime & Fusion combo in 2002. My body is ready.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Like I said before in this BE-YUTIFUL POST I've quoted in this thread before, that appears to be the case, lest Sakurai somehow thing 47 is not so much of an awkward number.
Hmm. 64 character slots maximum. The first Smash was on the Nintendo 64.

Not to say I think there will be 64 characters, but that would be pretty awesome.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
They said "planning." Doesn't mean they're working on anything right now, so I don't find it likely we'll see a Metroid game announcement anytime soon, probably not until next year. The only thing it means is the series isn't dead.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'm glad you showed this, because if you hadn't I would've eventually thought for certain that Metroid would become the next Star Fox for a whole gen; another IP for Nintendo to just sit on, but as it stands they'll try to please both the 2D and 3D fans? This'll be the best thing since the Prime & Fusion combo in 2002. My body is ready.
Meanwhile, F-Zero just grows ever moldier.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
This is just me thinking out loud here, but what if mii didn't actually take a roster spot, like his icon was next to the back button or something?
even if Miis had its own spot somewhere else, it'd still be a roster spot. I think that it'll be like choosing ur mii in MK7

Did you guys see this? It's obviously fake, but it's well made and hilarious looking.
Ridley CAN'T be too big if he can fit in a box around the size of Mario's head.
You just made me very sad :cry: I'd rather have an new F-Zero than a new Metroid or Star Fox.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The Kotaku interview does make me more hopeful for Ridley in Sm4sh, as well as happy for my favorite franchise not being dead yet, but I wonder how much it actually helps Ridley, in the end? I mean, considering what Takahashi and Miyamoto said in the interview, a Metroid game will not be announced any time soon.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think the fact that we just got a major Nintendo racing game might help with that. F-Zero could probably get a new game within the next couple years, and might have one in development. But if it does, its probably in early development.

The Kotaku interview does make me more hopeful for Ridley in Sm4sh, as well as happy for my favorite franchise not being dead yet, but I wonder how much it actually helps Ridley, in the end? I mean, considering what Takahashi and Miyamoto said in the interview, a Metroid game will not be announced any time soon.
I don't think it helps Ridley. What helps Ridley is the fact that he doesn't look like a boss in that Pyrosphere stage at all, and rather than confirm him as a boss they keep dodging the question. They didn't do this with every other disconfirmation out there.

Last edited:

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Which character getting in over Ridley makes you the most angry?

So far I think every confirmed Newcomer has had a pretty good justification, so even though I might think Ridley deserves playability more than just about any Newcomer when competing head-to-head, at least I can see good reason most of them were added:

-Wii Fit Trainer comes from one of the top selling Wii games and adds an element of humor / wackiness to the game.

-Chrom doesn't seem like he'd take much work to add, since he'd just be a semi-clone. And he fulfills the tradition of a playable character representing the most recent Fire Emblem game. The most popular FE game yet, too.

-Greninja makes sense from the viewpoint of Pokemon being one of the top 3 Nintendo franchises by sales. It would be kind of sucky for Pokemon fans if they didn't get a Newcomer given how huge Pokemon is. So a Pokemon newcomer was inevitable, and I don't fault Sakurai for adding Greninja.

But Chorus Kids? How many people had even heard of them before the Gematsu leak? They don't have retro appeal 'cause they ain't retro, and they seem like they'd take a lot of development effort to implement. And they're stupid looking. :mad:

Shulk also kind of makes me mad. Is he even the protagonist of the new Wii U Xenoblade? Sure, Xenoblade for Wii U was a great game, but putting the effort to add Shulk to the game, where that time and effort could have gone towards adding Ridley is befuddling. :confused:

I dunno, I guess the big picture of Sakurai (possibly) not making Ridley playable for Smash 4 is more scorn-worthy than getting mad at any specific character. But still, I have a visceral negative reaction whenever I see a pic of the Chorus Men.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Didn't really grow up with F-Zero like I did Metroid, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, and the like. Was more into other racers too, but maybe it'll still get its due someday.

Man, too bad these new yet to be made Metroids couldn't of been done sooner after Other M, so that Other M wouldn't be the only main Metroid content in Smash 4. At least we'll get content for those Metroids in the next Smash though, and if Ridley's in them too on top of it whilst already being in Project M... The demand for him in SSB6 will be real, or I'd like to think anyway.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
They said "planning." Doesn't mean they're working on anything right now, so I don't find it likely we'll see a Metroid game announcement anytime soon, probably not until next year. The only thing it means is the series isn't dead.
I personally wouldn't mind at all if Nintendo just posted a teaser for a new Metroid game in the next Direct. No gameplay footage, no CG trailer, just the title and a tentative release date. It would still make up for the 4+ years of absence.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Didn't really grow up with F-Zero like I did Metroid, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, and the like. Was more into other racers too, but maybe it'll still get its due someday.

Man, too bad these new yet to be made Metroids couldn't of been done sooner after Other M, so that Other M wouldn't be the only main Metroid content in Smash 4. At least we'll get content for those Metroids in the next Smash though, and if Ridley's in them too on top of it whilst already being in Project M... The demand for him in SSB6 will be real, or I'd like to think anyway.
At least what we get from Other M is only the new designs and stages, which aren't as bad as... everything else in the game. While I loathe Other M, Samus' Power Suit design in this game is one of my favorites. Clone Ridley doesn't look bad either, except for the weird beak. And the Pyrosphere is a nice stage. The bad part? The music for the stage will be from Other M, too, which means it will be mediocre at best.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, I did not see Ridley among those trophies there even when squinting.

And PurpleSpaceDragon, dude. That's the kind of **** this thread needs to stop doing.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Heh. I just went and looked up my first post on the boards.

Turns out it was a thread I made before brawl came out to speculate on the inclusion of more villains. The first post was somebody telling me to check the Ridley thread.

looks like things haven't changed at all

mewtwo krool ridley gogogo

Top Bottom