• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Just going to point out that the Little Mac model in that picture is his Brawl model. You can tell from the hair.
Still trying to figure out where the Ridley model came from. Fan-made? If so its a pretty good one.

Morbi

Scavenger
I bet logical reasoning didn't help many predict WFT, Rosalina, Villager (cause of Sakurai), Greninja, probably Chorus Kids, etc. while Ridley, K. Rool, Takamaru, Dixie, Mewtwo, Toad, etc. (who logically have quite a bit in their favour) will probably be sitting on the sidelines. Not counting possibilities as DLC obv.

Logic is all fine and good, but it's not the be-all-and-end-all of speculation, and when evidence and precedent comes along to shake that logic, holding on even more tight to it is what turns out to be illogical. I'm not saying Ridley as an inclusion wasn't logical, but at this point there's been enough to knock him down a few pegs into "fairly unlikely" territory, and people who want to act as if that never happened are in for a rude yet predictable awakening once the full roster is out.
I suppose that is an accurate assessment; however, I was more or less referring to logic antithetical to the evidence rather than in its entirety. If that entails that I am in for a predictable but rude awakening, so be it. I do not find it illogical to believe something contrary to one piece of evidence as we have nothing else to evaluate at this point. I could assert that as a hasty-generalization fallacy.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Dude what pic?
Please don't tell me you are talking about thepi ctureiI posted it is a fake dream picture I think it's one of AngelGlories.

We don't even know if the news is smash related it may very well be Majors mask or official info and release announcement of GC ADAPTER.

That's if any news will actually happen.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I find it odd that Sakurai would neglect most of the highly requested (sans Mega Man, Little Mac, Pac Man, Palutena?) and instead fill the roster with oddballs.

I mean, they're cool and all, but if that's what the roster will be all, then I don't know what to say...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Dude what pic?
Please don't tell me you are talking about thepi ctureiI posted it is a fake dream picture I think it's one of AngelGlories.

We don't even know if the news is smash related it may very well be Majors mask or official info and release announcement of GC ADAPTER.

That's if any news will actually happen.
Lol. Seems everyone was joking about the picture.

D

Deleted member

I find it odd that Sakurai would neglect most of the highly requested (sans Mega Man, Little Mac, Pac Man, Palutena?) and instead fill the roster with oddballs.

I mean, they're cool and all, but if that's what the roster will be all, then I don't know what to say...
Isn't that pretty much how Melee and Brawl went?

TP8bitPyro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TPPyro

he has his reasons building hype and/or trolling :/ hes a man of mystery

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm amused that this conversation is happening when the only evidence we have gives us Ridley's size and the fact that Ridley is in the Wii U version of the game on pyrosphere. And neither of those things objectively indicate anything.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Still trying to figure out where the Ridley model came from. Fan-made? If so its a pretty good one.
Just looking at it, it appears to be either a direct Other M Model rip or a modified version thereof, but I'm no expert.

majora_787

Smash Hero
That picture was posted long ago in this thread if I remember right, was made to demonstrate playable Ridley in Smash Bros. compared to Little Mac.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Just looking at it, it appears to be either a direct Other M Model rip or a modified version thereof, but I'm no expert.
I checked Other M Ridley, though, it doesn't look much like Other M Ridley. I guess it could be a modified version.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Guys, we do forgot the fact that Sakurai left all the way back to Japan, right? I highly doubt they would do any more reveals without his presence. It just wouldn't feel right without the man himself giving that presentation.

As for the Ridley screenshot, he's definitely a stage hazard since the pose just doesn't look right for a playable character's flapping animation. The glide mechanic is gone, meaning that certain winged characters like Meta Knight won't even glide anymore. Sure he's smaller than Giga Bowser, but who knows if he can only appear to attack players on the stage. As much as I really want him playable, I would rather not set myself up for disappointment for the second time.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
So, has there been any news or hope about confirmation (or deconfirmation. *hope does not apply to deconfirmation) chances?

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I'm trying to think of reason's why they wouldn't have revealed Ridley already as a stage hazard so I'll list them with a few notes

• Ridley's model isn't finished or finalized. We know Ridley will be in, but if he was a stage hazard they might have to work out what size would be suitable, or there maybe animations missing, though we've been shown incomplete things before like the raccoon leaf from Mario.
  • Hype/suspense, the debate if Ridley will be playable or a stage hazard will of course go on until we finally open the scroungers cat paradox, and see if Ridley is a character, stage hazard or both. Though it would be salt in the wounds to create this much hype for a highly request character just to be a stage hazard, with no clear clarification.
  • Could go either way. Maybe they managed to get Ridley's movement down, hence the behaviour of the shadow in the direct, but could have issues with scale, move set or something else which would be required for him to be a working playable character.
Just food for thought, I still do want Ridley and think the cloak and dagger approach makes it more likely, instead of being direct, like Waluigi, Skull kid and shadow

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Isn't that pretty much how Melee and Brawl went?
Nevermind, I just talked without thinking, let me rephrase that.

So I get that Sakurai loves to put oddballs in Smash, but there are always the heavily requested ones, like Bowser, Peach, Mewtwo, Marth, maybe Ganondorf in Melee, and Meta Knight, Pit, Wario, Diddy Kong, Dedede, Sonic, etc.

As such, I'd find it odd that he'd neglect one the most heavily requested characters (with an actual chance) for the sake of adding more oddballs.

I dunno, I just found it kind of weird.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Guys, we do forgot the fact that Sakurai left all the way back to Japan, right? I highly doubt they would do any more reveals without his presence. It just wouldn't feel right without the man himself giving that presentation.

As for the Ridley screenshot, he's definitely a stage hazard since the pose just doesn't look right for a playable character's flapping animation. The glide mechanic is gone, meaning that certain winged characters like Meta Knight won't even glide anymore. Sure he's smaller than Giga Bowser, but who knows if he can only appear to attack players on the stage. As much as I really want him playable, I would rather not set myself up for disappointment for the second time.
He wasn't presenting anything when Palutena got announced, it could happen again. It also makes to much sense for Nintendo to end E3 with bang. What Better way to do that than reveal a character for their most anticipated game.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087

You never know what Nintendo/Masahiro Unpredictable has planned...

Anyways, the Rid screenshot is a fake.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
You never know what Nintendo/Masahiro Unpredictable has planned...

Anyways, the Rid screenshot is a fake.
Wait there was a screenshot thing?
Even if fake, can somebody post/link, because I haven't caught eye of it from scrolling through the last halfadozen pages.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I expect to see a Majora's Mask remake. He could be referring to that.
That would be SO underwhelming, no new Metroid, no new F-Zero, another lousy Zelda remake that people can play just as well on the Wii VC.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428

Oddball characters can be fun but that doesn't mean the important characters should get shafted. Characters like Rildey an K. Rool come first!

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087

There ya go.

Edit: Made pic visible in post.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oddball characters can be fun but that doesn't mean the important characters should get shafted. Characters like Rildey an K. Rool come first!
Its not even about requesting somewhat obscure characters like Bandana Dee or any other Zelda character (except perhaps Impa or Ganon), its two extremely iconic characters (villains no less) potentially getting the shaft over oddball additions.

TP8bitPyro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TPPyro
if the rumors are true about today of something big being announced I don't think they will show ridely today I'm pretty sure that they are going to stretch that tease about him till the last minute release of the game

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
if the rumors are true about today of something big being announced I don't think they will show ridely today I'm pretty sure that they are going to stretch that tease about him till the last minute release of the game
Haven't you heard? Ridley would make for quite the Big surprise. :troll:

Sorry, couldn't help. Anyways, only time will tell...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Sakurai was not there when they announced palutena so its still possible for a character at the very end of E3.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
That would be SO underwhelming, no new Metroid, no new F-Zero, another lousy Zelda remake that people can play just as well on the Wii VC.
I agree. I want a new F-Zero more than you can imagine. But this E3 was pretty disappointing for the most part, so it's a fitting ending.

Am I one of the few people who preferred Other M Ridley to most Ridleys?
Not at all. I like it a lot.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I actually don't think he will be playable tbh and I would not put it past SSakurai to leave Ridleys fate in mystery from now all the way to release only to find out he really was just a crap stage hazard.....

TThe fact that Mewtwo wasn't announced should have ever character support thread on the edge he was considered shoe-in tier along with PPalutena and Little Mac before they were revealed and Mii and Pacman but them 2 to a slightly less extent.

It's extremely bleak for the BiG3 the so called shoe-in everyone was calling them 6months to a year ago that were one 90/ of peoples ppredicted rosters and not even one of them has been announced yet...

You really thi nk all 3 we be left secret to release? That Imo is pipe dream/delusional....

My god this smash game had the shiitest newcomers of all time

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
If it's the Tournemant Victor making the announcement, then it probably has to do with Smash.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I will tell you something, the fact Chrom, of all characters, is likely in the game and Ridley isn't, is making salty about Smash 4. Wii Fit Trainer and Miis don't bother me in the slightest, they represent modern Nintendo and some of the most successful Wii franchises, but a generic Fire Emblem character getting in and the major villain of Metroid, one of Nintendo oldschool franchises, being ignored once again, is something that annoys me way more than it probably should. That is SO unfair to the Metroid fanbase. Dark Samus and Mother Brain as Assist Trophies isn't enough -_-

I should clarify that I am not opposed to a new Fire Emblem rep, Awakening was successful game and I understand the inclusion of a character representing the game. I am opposed to a generic boring character being the rep. Robin wouldn't bother me at all, even if Ridley isn't/wasn't in the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom