• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well, it's good that this thread cooled down a bit (please, stay calm that wasn't a reconfirmation).

If I was you, I would not hope for today and tomorrow because Sakurai said at the end of the Q&A that tomorrow morning, he's heading back to Japan (so, he should be gone now).

I will write more details later because right now, we went from a possible breaking 50/50 to a non ending 50/50 and you know what it means? More doubts and being unsure. I'm now in the middle of the 50/50 when I though he was playable before. We just can't do anything and wait there's nothing to speculate anymore we can't know.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get from that post. Sakurai himself said that they had plans to include a Pokémon from X & Y from the very beginning, the information Sal's tipper gave us seems to imply that the information came from before they had gone to Game Freak to discuss the new Pokémon. When Greninja was finished at Game Freak is rather irrelevant.

D

Deleted member

Guys, the site has been updated, yesterday it had the "How to play" page, now "Customization", could it be that now it's becoming the Dojo again? With newcomers reveals thrown out of the window?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The only thing I am hoping is for a new Metroid announcement (without influence of Sakamoto) today (or Majora's Mask 3D).

If they announce a Metroid, they could squeeze a Ridley reveal in there. Keywords: If and could. The likelihood of that happening is abysmal.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get from that post. Sakurai himself said that they had plans to include a Pokémon from X & Y from the very beginning, the information Sal's tipper gave us seems to imply that the information came from before they had gone to Game Freak to discuss the new Pokémon. When Greninja was finished at Game Freak is rather irrelevant.
It's part of a greater argument as to why Sal's leaker only has legitimate access to E3-related information. Which means that the Sal Romano Leak isn't the final roster, and that there's more to come in the final version. I just wanted to win the Greninja argument and also make a statement that everyone over there immediately disregards any evidence that might be contrary to the leak the moment it's brought up. Which happens many, many times throughout the life of the thread. Unfortunately, even agreeing with them that the leak has credence 'cause it's all just E3-related information, it'll likely get ignored anyway. Not particularly worried, though.

Similarly, the leaker confirmed character DLC the other day, as well, so the beacon of hope still shines brightly, so far as I'm concerned.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
The only thing I am hoping is for a new Metroid announcement (without influence of Sakamoto) today (or Majora's Mask 3D).

If they announce a Metroid, they could squeeze a Ridley reveal in there. Keywords: If and could. The likelihood of that happening is abysmal.
It's the Dream, ain't it? If Ridley isn't revealed at all, I will be pissed. Seriously, tell us Sakurai...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's part of a greater argument as to why Sal's leaker only has legitimate access to E3-related information. Which means that the Sal Romano Leak isn't the final roster, and that there's more to come in the final version. I just wanted to win the Greninja argument and also make a statement that everyone over there immediately disregards any evidence that might be contrary to the leak the moment it's brought up. Which happens many, many times throughout the life of the thread. Unfortunately, even agreeing with them that the leak has credence 'cause it's all just E3-related information, it'll likely get ignored anyway. Not particularly worried, though.

Similarly, the leaker confirmed character DLC the other day, as well, so the beacon of hope still shines brightly, so far as I'm concerned.
But Greninja doesn't have any relation to E3, and I doubt we're going to see anymore newcomers too after Sakurai went home, which means no Chrom, Shulk or Chorus Men there either, so I don't think it's limited to E3 knowledge. E3 was only mentioned in his first post too, and that was the 2013 version, never in his later posts.

I do agree that we could see 1-2 more newcomers though, and if nothing else there's always DLC. The problem that could arise with DLC is that Ridley has a role in the launch version of Smash, so it could potentially cause conflict in that manner. Plus, if Sakurai doesn't include him in the initial version I don't see why he ever would, he'd obviously have a problem with him if he doesn't include one of the most requested and important potential newcomers, I don't think we'd be able to convince him after that.

Last edited:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
I just find it funny that Pyrosphere, a stage shown in the 1st trailer, is the only one in that trailer that we can't play on (Besides 3DS and Wii Fit Studio). To me, that gives me hope because of how strange it is.

Reila

If ChunkyBeef's theory is correct, then the newcomer to be revealed in August isn't set in stone yet. They could announce one of the three leaked characters currently unconfirmed OR announce a character that Sal Romano didn't have access to, like Rosaluma and keep the other three characters as unlockable/secrets in the game. For the love of Arceus, let Ridley be announced in August.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
This should be my last post on this topic. Ridley not being disconfirmed and no Pyrosphere in the demo is good enough for me. Ridley is a big deal so it make sense if he is the last Newcomer revealed.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Just had a thought about the whole stage hazard debacle. Remember how often Yellow Devil showed up on the stage during the Invitational? Assuming Ridley would have the same appearance rate, it must be a pain trying to keep him out of PotD shots and trailer footage unless they manually remove him from the stage for that purpose (not including the FD version).

Reila

This should be my last post on this topic. Ridley not being disconfirmed and no Pyrosphere in the demo is good enough for me. Ridley is a big deal so it make sense if he is the last Newcomer revealed.
Yeah, with Ridley being the last announcement, we will have the honor of supporting the "big deal" among the newcomers. Ridley will be the icing on the Smash Bros. 4 cake.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
But Greninja doesn't have any relation to E3, and I doubt we're going to see anymore newcomers too after Sakurai went home, which means no Chrom, Shulk or Chorus Men there either, so I don't think it's limited to E3 knowledge. E3 was only mentioned in his first post too, and that was the 2013 version, never in his later posts.
Greninja doesn't have any relation to E3, you're right, but I bring up the argument because of this:

Essentially, Sakurai is saying there that they knew Greninja was going to be in the game, and the entire roster was finalized from the beginning of development. So unless the guy was sitting next to Sakurai the first few months and booted out on his ass for whatever reason, it stands to reason that he SHOULD know about Greninja (and by extension, Rosalina) and not say 'Pokemon from X and Y'. Why he says that? Who knows. We'll never likely find out.

Point is, the guy's proven he only has access to E3-related information (further proved by his change of the first leak's reveal of 'Mii' changing to 'Mii Fighter' literally hours before yesterday's event), which means that he doesn't have access to the entire roster.

Which means there's more to come in the final version, not including character DLC. So Ridley, and many others, have a genuine opportunity to wind up in the game at some point.

There y'go. Best summary I can give you.

If ChunkyBeef's theory is correct, then the newcomer to be revealed in August isn't set in stone yet. They could announce one of the three leaked characters currently unconfirmed OR announce a character that Sal Romano didn't have access to, like Rosaluma and keep the other three characters as unlockable/secrets in the game. For the love of Arceus, let Ridley be announced in August.
Or, it's entirely possible Sakurai learned from his mistakes with Brawl and intends to leave as much a secret with the roster as possible. It's certainly shaping up to be that way, honestly, and that's exciting to me.

Just had a thought about the whole stage hazard debacle. Remember how often Yellow Devil showed up on the stage during the Invitational? Assuming Ridley would have the same appearance rate, it must be a pain trying to keep him out of PotD shots and trailer footage unless they manually remove him from the stage for that purpose (not including the FD version).
Well, they have access to debug stuff, so I'd imagine it's as simple as toggling a variable to keep Ridley from appearing and turn off stage-related events.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Thats a good point. Earlier I posted this picture cause the platforms on Wily's Castle shoot upward with jets it seems.

I was thinking the purple things under the platforms on Pyrosphere could be jets but I can't find a picture of Wily's Castle platforms from a similar view....

http://smashbros-miiverse.com/stages/dr-wily-castle

Last edited:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Off topic is still off topic.
I know this is off topic, but this just made me laugh a lot.
According the Oceania site on Smashbros.com, we can expect Smash for Wii U this Summer :D!

Attachments

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Well, they have access to debug stuff, so I'd imagine it's as simple as toggling a variable to keep Ridley from appearing and turn off stage-related events.
If that truly is the case, why do they even bother going such lengths to keep him hidden? Ridley was already a boss in Brawl, so what's the point of hyping him up so darn much if it's for the same role he had before? If Sakurai didn't simply show Ridley's shadow or allude to him or heck, not even reveal Pyrosphere whatsoever, then I wouldn't be nearly as tense about the whole situation as I (and many others) are now.

Is keeping a pre-existing function (one that was already in a non-Smash game at that) of a well known character secret really that important?

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I know this is off topic, but this just made me laugh a lot.
According the Oceania site on Smashbros.com, we can expect Smash for Wii U this Summer :D!
It's amusing, but you forgot one thing:

Winter for us is Summer for them. Oceania is in the southern hemisphere. Doesn't really excuse the April release date for 3DS. I must have REALLY missed the boat there.

If that truly is the case, why do they even bother going such lengths to keep him hidden? Ridley was already a boss in Brawl, so what's the point of hyping him up so darn much if it's for the same role he had before? If Sakurai didn't simply show Ridley's shadow or allude to him or heck, not even reveal Pyrosphere whatsoever, then I wouldn't be nearly as tense about the whole situation as I (and many others) are now.

Is keeping a pre-existing function (one that was already in a non-Smash game at that) of a well known character secret really that important?
Honestly couldn't tell you, dude. It sounds fishy to me, but I'm not ruling anything out yet.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Actually, and I know I'm really reaching here, but Pac-Man gives me more hope for Ridley. Why? Because Sakurai has made a point that he wants to keep things fresh and mix things up, like the meshing of old and new with Pac's moveset instead of just throwing him in a mech.

As mentioned before, Pyrosphere stage hazardley has been done before, so I would imagine Sakurai wouldn't want to copy a concept like that. If that hopefully is the case, then it means the Ridley we saw wasn't a hazard at all.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, I feel a little better today than I did yesterday. Love having people make my day terrible while I try to get enjoyment out of E3.

Getting my internet hooked up and going to the demo in a few hours. So. That'll be fun. I'm half hoping that if nothing else, we maybe get Palutena or something added to the demo roster. I really doubt they'll throw Pyrosphere in there.

Staarih

Smash Master
Something I took to heart was when Sakurai apparently said at the roundtable that he wants to make "Smash 4 the #1 Character Game in The World". That is not going to happen without Ridley, really. I don't know if this gives me hope or not though haha...

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Something I took to heart was when Sakurai apparently said at the roundtable that he wants to make "Smash 4 the #1 Character Game in The World". That is not going to happen without Ridley, really. I don't know if this gives me hope or not though haha...
>#1 Character Game in the World
>Chorus Men
>Wii Fit Trainer
>Rosalina
>Chrom
>Shulk

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
This roster will be absolutely atrocious if they don't add any villains. I'd personally take Ridley and King K. Rool over Pac-Man and Mega Man any day....

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I dunno, if nothing else Rosalina is on an upswing of importance to Mario games, and Chrom's the protagonist of the newest successful Fire Emblem title. They're gonna do what they're gonna do. :p

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
He's not wrong, though. What other games do you know of where you can play as Mario, Link, Pikachu, Samus, Fox, Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man?
Oh, definitely, I get what he meant. I was just picking nits for humor factor.

D

Deleted member

I just need villains and Mewtwo ain't one, Ridley and K. Rool and the roster will be perfect no matter how many Chorus Boys there are

majora_787

Smash Hero
I seriously don't think we're getting anything else for SSB4 except for gameplay. I plan on just waiting through the next few days and looking into news later after the treehouses all happen.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
I guess we'll see.

I mean, if its just some gameplay with some treehouse people then why would it be "Big"?

I mean, yesterday would be bigger in that case.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I guess we'll see.

I mean, if its just some gameplay with some treehouse people then why would it be "Big"?

I mean, yesterday would be bigger in that case.
Their definition of big isn't necessarily our definition of big, sadly.

Best case scenario: Newcomer/Veteran reveal.

Worst case scenario: Gameplay.

So either way we win.

Top Bottom