• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
B2A571_0D90F7BF08E10_000.gif

"...."

Today has been a really depressing day for me...I mean...I'm glad they didn't showed up Pyrosphere at the demo...but it wasn't enough...nor the reveals before and after the invitational were...but, oh well...l will hope that tomorrow is a better day...and wait for Ridley...again...

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
To be entirely honest, if the Sal leak is true, I'm not confident in Sakurai's ability to choose good DLC characters.
Hey!! Shulk and Chrom are awesome, even the Chorus Men have really grown on me. They might not be in my top five but they all make great additions to Smash.

View attachment 15937Today has been a really depressing day for me...I mean...I'm glad they didn't showed up Pyrosphere at the demo...but it wasn't enough...nor the reveals before and after the invitational were...but, oh well...l will hope that tomorrow is a better day...and wait for Ridley...again...
I know what you mean, its been an emotionally exhausting day for me as well. Still though overall great E3 and at least he didn't get deconfirmed.

Last edited:

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
It really shows how much ridley was wanted in the recent character announcements if you go to their page there is almost always someone mentioning him.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
It still doesn't mean anything.

I know you guys want answers, but you simply cannot act as if Sakurai is thinking on the same train of thought as you guys. For all we know, he might not have thought anything of having Ridley as a boss on Pyrosphere, much less not including him in the demo. The last thing this guy is gonna think about is, "Oh boy! How can I troll the Ridley fan base today?!" That is NOT what is happening here. That's far too much energy to put into one character.

As Ridley fans, you guys are all about things concerning Ridley. That's understandable. However, Sakurai is not a part of the Ridley fanbase, and is likely not seeing things on the same level as you guys are. So I would abandon the idea that he wasn't shown deliberately because frankly, that doesn't make any ****ing sense.

If he was playable, then showing Pyrosphere wouldn't have mattered anyway. You have the stage with lava hazards, and that's that. If he's a stage hazard, then maybe they decided to only have one stage with a boss and chose Wily's Castle for a 3rd party stage. There are so many alternatives that make plenty of sense without resorting to "OMG PLAYABLE RIDLEY"
You say that we can't act as if Sakurai is thinking on the same train of thought as us, then immediately claim he's following the same train of thought you are...

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
To be entirely honest, if the Sal leak is true, I'm not confident in Sakurai's ability to choose good DLC characters anyway.
Well, the good news is that Sakurai is the one-and-done kind of developer. Chances are, anything post-launch is up to Bamco, so I'd say it's up in the air.

Hey!! Shulk and Chrom are awesome, even the Chorus Men have really grown on me. They might not be in my top five but they all make great additions to Smash.
If you didn't know Chorus Men were coming, how do you think you'd react to their completely random inclusion?

This is an open question to everyone and anyone. Pretend as if you didn't know Chorus Men were coming. How would you have felt about it if the leak never came to be?

Last edited:

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
If you didn't know Chorus Men were coming, how do you think you'd react to their completely random inclusion? Or anyone for that matter.

This is an open question. Pretend as if you didn't know Chorus Men were coming. How would you have felt about it if the leak never came to be?
I actually like the Rythem Heaven games so I imagine I would have been pleasantly surprised. My sister is a big Smash fan and she's very exited for Chorus Men.

Last edited:

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Maybe (hopefully) we will get some random character reveals in the next couple of days and hopefully it will have the space dragon we know and love.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
For the people claiming it's a big conspiracy theory that Pyrosphere isn't in the demo because of Ridley because they want to hide Ridley as playable, that doesn't make any sense.

If he was playable, he wouldn't show up anyway. Sakurai and the people making these decisions are not thinking about Ridley 24/7, so to think they would leave a stage out for ONE character is not likely.

I can't say why they wouldn't have the stage. But saying it has to do with them not wanting to show off Ridley has no grounds and nothing to back it up. Don't give it any credence. I'm telling you, Pyrosphere not being in the demo means absolutely nothing.
Ridley is controversial character and they know it. Your argument is flawed. If he were playable, then he wouldn't be a boss on pyrosphere, yes. But, when we see the stage absent of Ridley, we'll know.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Guys, Jonesy is just trying to keep everything in perspective. No need to jump down his/her throat.

Because, let's be serious here -- things aren't looking very bright for Ridley.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
They went to some lengths to keep us wondering about Little Mac. They even reskinned the stage for it.

Thinking that they'd leave Pyrosphere out of the demo to keep us guessing about Ridley isn't a stretch at all.

It's one of the earliest revealed stages and would've been perfectly suitable for the demo...

Of course, one could argue that the Ridley stage hazard wasn't ready for prime time. The stage just not being ready to show after so long seems less likely to me though.

Either it was a random decision signifying nothing (Garden of Hope, Wii Fit Studio, Mario Galaxy, etc. weren't playable either, but I don't think anyone is reading into that), or they wanted to keep us guessing about Ridley.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Maybe (hopefully) we will get some random character reveals in the next couple of days and hopefully it will have the space dragon we know and love.
I really, REALLY want you to be right...and we finally get him...I don't want to be sad any longer...I can't even think on funny Ridley and Roidley stuff because of freaking depression! :(

N2A571_0D486E429C146_000 (2).gif

"...I want to go to sleep now..."

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think keeping Pyrosphere out of the demo was a very conscious decision. However, I don't think we can read anything from it, it could both mean that they don't want to reveal him as a boss or make it obvious that he's playable, by not including it they successfully stall things out further, which makes sense no matter what role he has as it makes people discuss the subject further, thus discussing Smash further. You know what they say, any publicity is good publicity.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
Ridley is My newcomers I want in SSB4 but Palutena got CONFIRMED!! I wish Ridley will come tomorrow :DView attachment 15941
Nice list, mine would have to be.

1st: Ridley
2nd: King K. Rool
3rd: Palutena
4th: Isaac
5th: Takamaru

I'm still very happy to see Palutena but still upset my most wanted newcomer is yet to be confirmed.

Last edited:

lilt

Smash Journeyman
Gosh, just waked up and what do I have to see? That yellow Puck face! :glare:

Sal's leak seems to be legit and he didn't mention Ridley at all. Yay..

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I only really want Ridley and K. Rool. Shulk and Hades would be nice bonuses, plus I already got Palutena.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I only really want Ridley and K. Rool. Shulk and Hades would be nice bonuses, plus I already got Palutena.
K. Rool, and Isaac for me. Those are the ones I really want. Ridley wouldn't bother me all too much I just think he's in and I think he'd be a great playable character.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Guys, if Sakurai said in the April Direct that stage bosses would be a feature in some stages, then what can these"some stages" if not both the Wily yellow devil and pyrosphere's Ridley? My question is, if Ridley is playable, then what other bosses can we have in other stages?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Guys, if Sakurai said in the April Direct that stage bosses would be a feature in some stages, then what can these"some stages" if not both the Wily yellow devil and pyrosphere's Ridley? My question is, if Ridley is playable, then what other bosses can we have in other stages?
They can certainly bring back bosses from Brawl. Find Mii appears to have a boss, for sure. Tiki Tong could be a boss for the inevitable DKCR stage (I doubt we'll have a Tropical Freeze stage). Star Fox stages are usually quite basic, we could have a boss in one of those (not sure who). Also Porky returning, Tabuu, naturally Master/Crazy Hand (technically they may not count as stage bosses, but they still fit in a similar way). We may even seen all of the OC bosses returning from Brawl on certain stages.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
To be entirely honest, if the Sal leak is true, I'm not confident in Sakurai's ability to choose good DLC characters anyway.
Depends on how him "choosing" DLC characters would work I guess. If it's based on popularity/demand like how Lobo and Martian Manhunter got in Injustice as DLC (the majority wanted them), it'd be a fantastic system, and Ridley certainly wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility there.

Or what this guy said here.

Well, the good news is that Sakurai is the one-and-done kind of developer. Chances are, anything post-launch is up to Bamco, so I'd say it's up in the air.
Not getting all my hopes up for that, but it's somethin' good to think about at least during these doom & gloom times.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
What the hell happened to this thread? Hey guys, Ridley may not have been announced in E3 but that could be a good thing...It is good that the Pyrosphere is not shown in the Smash Invitational along with other Wii U stages haven't been shown.
and let's not forget that the SSB4 3DS release date has been pushed back...This could give the devs more time to add new ideas (or maybe they noticed some awesome ideas but need more time to implement them).

PS: Metroid's 28th Anniversary is at 6th August (which coincides with an August Direct) <-LAST SHOT 4 RIDLEY

Malle

Smash Apprentice
Is there anywhere I can see the Roundtable video?

I only find **** people uploaded that tells me nothing.
As for the E3, MAJOR disappointment.

Zynux

Smash Lord
So Pyrosphere was a no show, and we're right back at square one despite months having gone by. Can't say I'm surprised, I had prepared myself for this.

I will just say that I don't condone throwing mud at Palutena, Mii, or Pac Man supporters. Of course, if you are disappointed with the recent characters inclusions or disagree with their merit, definitely don't be hesitated to speak so, but I would humbly ask to also be a bit more considerate of them too especially since many of them have supported Ridley like we do (I will even say that I'm happy for the supporters of these character, despite me not supporting some of them like Mii). Since I actually succeeded in keeping my expectations in check, I'm honestly surprisingly not mad at the new newcomers.

Still, I'm not hyped either...I just feel... empty. Yes, I don't really feel anything at all anymore. Not "salty" at the current events, but certainly not hyped either. It's weird to say, since as many can probably deduce, I'm not a big Brawl fan, but I can honestly say with 100% certainty that I was far more hyped for that game then I ever was for Smash 4. I felt that Brawl characters alone were really throw-money-at-screen worthy, but with this game's characters I just feel...overwhelming nothingness.

This may be because I'm starting to run out of patience. Patience which I fear I may not have anymore, especially when other games are starting to take interest and priority over Smash now, and when I look forward to Smash 4 less and less every passing day. I won't lie, this...is all starting to get a bit exhausting. Who knew that the ambiguity of one of my favorite fictional characters tugs at my emotional strings so much? Even worse: I really have no one to blame but myself. This is what it takes be a part of speculation, especially a character that you're so passionate about. I guess it's like what Doc Louise sad: Smash ain't no joke.

It's really disheartening when you realize that, with all this "teasing" and "rope-tugging" we Ridley fans had to go through, it's starting to feel that maybe Sakurai never really thought much about Ridley in the first place. That all this "teasing" may have just been us desperately tugging for something; anything for our Ridley which may have not ever been there in the first place. That from his perspective, Ridley was nothing more then a unnecessary, intrusive stage gimmick that will lose it's novelty within a week of the game's release.

Because of this, even though Ridley's status is still very much up in the air (though some on both sides would argue that the "writing is on the wall"), and that in actuality nothing has really changed I can understand the gloomy atmosphere this thread has once again has fallen into. It is starting to become increasingly likely that not only will we not know Ridley's fate for many more months (or, God forbid, until after the Japanese release date) but I have a feeling that the "pay-off" at the end will be...unfortunate, for lack of better term.

People here are not wrong for wanting closure now; whatever Sakurai is cooking up it shouldn't have taken this long. If Ridley is not playable, he should have been deconfirmed during all those pics of Pyrosphere. If Ridley is playable, he should have never been implied to be a possible Boss Hazard on Pyrosphere. Unfortunately, the world doesn't usually offer such luxury: he will most likely continue to be ambiguous for weeks to come. Thus, I can see why some people are starting to question whether to really invest as much time in it anymore, especially now that whether you like it or not, the Gematsu leak is looking very likely now, and the characters on that list may not be all that we're getting out of this game, but leaves little room to squeeze in more. With my doubts on Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo, along with very possible cuts of Snake and Lucas (and possibly even more!) it's starting to get a bit depressing. Possible DLC to me is even more depressing; the possibility of being stuck with characters that I personally find to be detrimental to the roster and game, and yet having to pay extra for characters that I actually want (and, because of my "entitlement" felt should have been in the game from the beginning) doesn't exactly get me very excited.

I'm not sure if I speak all of us (or even most of us) here, but the atmosphere I'm picking up from this thread is that we're slowly, but surely losing some motivation. That history may be repeating itself, that nothing new will be under the sun this time around for our Space Dragon.

Which I find to be incredibly, incredibly sad, but generally inevitable at this point. Hopefully we can bounce back on our feet (like after the April direct), and good news drifts our way, but I'm not too confident in that anymore at this point. Seems like this road is going to a bumpy ride indeed.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
No news is good news
No News. Is Good News.
No. News. Is. Good. News.
NONEWSISGOODNEWS
*continues to lie down*

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Pyrosphere not being in the demo can be of significance. It would have given away Ridley's fate. What other reasons are? Is it not finished yet? Wasnt the NSMB2 stage shown (which was revealed the same day as the E3 conference)? Why would Pyrosphere not be in ANY build of the game, treehouse devkits, demo stations, etc? Everybody wants to see that stage. I mean, did we not get a single live match on that stage in the whole day?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I'm starting to get really irritated now. We've had had 9 months of stress and clinging onto hope, and Sakurai still continues to not give us details about Ridley. Surely Pyrosphere can't be "unfinished", since 9 months have passed, and it would be ridiculous for Sakurai to have finished the Pyrosphere FD version before it. This isn't funny now, I want to know Ridley's fate. If he's a Boss hazard, I want to know why Sakurai has taken this much time to tell us, because it's rather annoying and he could've told us months ago. Why are de-confirmed characters getting the quick and straight to the point treatment, but not Ridley? We'll probably end up waiting until the 3DS version's release to find out Ridley's fate, meaning further months of agony...

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
Nothing to do with Ridley
I know this does not have anything to about Ridley...but I noticed something:

Smash Bros is bringing Video Game Mascots together to fight it out:
Nintendo - Mario
Sega - Sonic
Capcom - Mega Man
Namco - Pac Man
...There is a possible fifth video game company with it's mascot as a plausible newcomer

and the Mascot is this adorable snowman, Jack Frost

Jack Frost is Atlus's Mascot and he makes appearances in all Shin Megami Tensei as an ice demon enemy.
Jack Frost's attacks would be similar to Pacman's punches/kicks with ice as the main theme in attacks...also moves can be referenced from the Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series.

Specials:
Neutral B : Bufu (Charge an ice missile. At full power, ice missile is HUGE but flies slowly)
Up B : Glacial Blast (Jack Frost Spin upwards while causing an ice veil spinning all-around Jack Frost)
Side B : Lunge (Jack Frost lunges towards an enemy...similar to Luigi's side B)
Down B: Concentrate (Jack Frost focuses, if successful and not interrupted, next attack deals 2.5 More Damage)

As for Jack Frost skin color palettes, here:

For the Final Smash, Jack Frost could turn to either:

King Frost (up) or Frost Ace (down)......

King Frost would cast Cold World; summoning icicle stalactices and stalagmites to the Battle Field (Trivia: In Shin Megami Tensei, Cold World is a powerful Ice spell targeting all enemies and may cause insta-death)

Frost Ace (with a sword) can use DeathBound, slicing everything on-screen.

Frankly, Frost Ace would be a better choice (SO BADASS!)

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
The fact that there was no veterans revealed and the game is releasing in october, makes it likely for at least one more direct before the release, maybe even another smash centered one? :ohwell:

Top Bottom