• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I was afraid this would happen.

Not the "Ridley deconfirmed" thing, the "not showing him at E3" thing.

Best-case scenario, he gets revealed tomorrow or the day after. Worst case, August Direct.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Someone must have gotten a question about Ridley in to Sakurai. If not at this roundtable, he almost certainly did 1-on-1's earlier in the today, or will tomorrow. People were asking journalists left and right about Ridley and Mewtwo.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I understand palutena but she still didn't generate the hype that ridley would. Anybody that's has played a metroid game knows ridley and much more have played metroid over kid larcus. Also the miis were a let down to most and I'm surprised about mr game and watch I expected ganondorf with a new moveset or falco.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm probably going to disappear from Smashboards for a while now as well. Well, maybe not outright disappear, I'll keep an eye on character reveals.

I really don't see the purpose of hiding Pyrosphere if Ridley wasn't an impossible to conceal boss like Yellow Devil.
Because Pyrosphere would prove Ridley WASN'T a stage boss (or at least that Ridley wasn't THE stage boss). Most everyone thought Ridley wasn't playable already anyway. If Ridley was a stage boss on Pyrosphere, they'd have no reason to conceal it. However, if they have plans to show off Ridley later, of course they don't want people playing Pyrosphere, because he's not going to appear.

Literally the only reason not to show Pyrosphere is because they want to keep Ridley hidden a while longer. Honestly I think this is only more solid proof that Ridley IS playable.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm probably going to disappear from Smashboards for a while now as well. Well, maybe not outright disappear, I'll keep an eye on character reveals.

Because Pyrosphere would prove Ridley WASN'T a stage boss (or at least that Ridley wasn't THE stage boss). Most everyone thought Ridley wasn't playable already anyway. If Ridley was a stage boss on Pyrosphere, they'd have no reason to conceal it. However, if they have plans to show off Ridley later, of course they don't want people playing Pyrosphere, because he's not going to appear.

Literally the only reason not to show Pyrosphere is because they want to keep Ridley hidden a while longer. Honestly I think this is only more solid proof that Ridley IS playable.
Yeh, basically. But I'm tired of the shenanigans and I'm just getting ready to wait out the next few months until we see the final roster. They seem to be wanting to ride the Surprisely train all the way.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
And there was no reason for them to listen.
I don't understand. Why would there be no reason for the journalists to listen to what the fans want asked?

At the very least we could get another cryptic quote or tease from Sakurai about Ridley/Mewtwo/etc.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Whelp, I know it's not much too go on, but there is still one unannounced 3DS game. Why does this matter, you ask? Because, there is a small chance it's a new Metroid game, and if that's the case, there's another small chance Rid's will be revealed alongside it. Wish there was more I could say to lighten the mood, but it's all I got.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I don't understand. Why would there be no reason for the journalists to listen to what the fans want asked?

At the very least we could get another cryptic quote or tease from Sakurai about Ridley/Mewtwo/etc.
Because I don't think we really matter all that much. The job of a journalist is not to ask questions that fans want the answer to, it's to ask the questions that they and their editor think would make a good article.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Seeing as Palutena made it in after the teasing in the Nintendo Directs, I'd bet money Ridley will make it in.
they kept on playing metroid music during the invitational and I kept thinking they'd pull something like a surprise reveal.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I forgot about the unannounced 3DS game. I just thought it was going to be a bunch of Pokemon news. Still, on the off chance it has to do with Metroid, I'm going to keep an ear out for the news. If it is a Metroid game on 3DS, will they do something similar to the classic games? Or they could make a successor to Prime Hunters?

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
After really thinking everything over. With 3DS version being in October. I see us getting a second smash bros direct around August. Where they'll reveal Captain Falcon and Ness. And probably Ridley and Mewtwo

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I wonder when we will feel what Palutena and Pac-Man's fans are feeling. I mean, I am happy for Palutena and even more for Pac-Man (for my surprise), but... they are not Ridley. They are not the villain of my favorite franchise...

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

I can think of a bunch more, but they all are tied to sakurai taking bad decisions (regarding at least my criteria) and while i recognize this guy have talent and probably his good decision ratio is way higher than his bad decision ratio. it doesn't mean that he is perfect :p

for example, I'm not sure if this game is going to get patched and balanced outside of its release date unless it have a game breaking bug, but if its not, i feel that is a little arrogant for him to think that he can achieve a good balance in the game withouth the game being out. the most balanced fighting games have had lots of years of fire testing. If i knew that he, or a team is going to tweak the game post release i would rest easy, but right now...

On the other hand, im happy the 3ds release get pushed back... less chances of having cuts.

oh, and people, don't expect a Ridley reveal this e3, the Sal leak was true. it doesn't mean that Ridley chances are over, the leak was regarding characters that were planned to be shown on e3, but if anything he will be a secret character a la wolf.

Actually, right now i'm most worried about Robin : /. although there is still a little chnce that the second part of teh elak fas fake, but chrome seems to be with a shoe in...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Welp. The waiting game continues even more. I wonder how many people are starting to go a little crazy.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I forgot about the unannounced 3DS game. I just thought it was going to be a bunch of Pokemon news. Still, on the off chance it has to do with Metroid, I'm going to keep an ear out for the news. If it is a Metroid game on 3DS, will they do something similar to the classic games? Or they could make a successor to Prime Hunters?
I'm thinking it would be more of that multilayered 3D sidescrolling style Nintendo's been so fond of lately. Which is probably the best way for them to go with it, so I'd be just fine with that.

Last edited:

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Iam sad and disappointed but I haven't jumped ship, hes still not disconfirmed, what kinda irks me a little more is not showing Pacman trailer and game&watch.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm thinking it would be more of that multilayered 3D sidescrolling style Nintendo's been so fond of lately. Which is probably the best way for them to go with it, so I'd be just fine with that.
Yeah, that's what I'm expecting too. If said 3DS game is a Metroid one. Something like Triple Deluxe, where the graphics are 3-D, but the gameplay is mostly kept in a 2-D perspective. I suppose I should have explained myself better.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
Iam sad and disappointed but I haven't jumped ship, hes still not disconfirmed, what kinda irks me a little more is not showing Pacman trailer and game&watch.
But they did, here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVz-2VuAYlY

Personally I think the Ridley situation really hasn't changed. I mean a lot of people here said that if he wasn't announced and wasn't shown as a stage hazard they would consider him confirmed. While people are more pessimistic about the situation than I thought they would be don't forget his chances are still just as good.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If you told me that I'd have to wait a whole year to find out about Ridley's role when Pyrosphere was first announced I'd have cried, but it looks very likely we'll hit Pyrosphere's 1 year anniversary before finding out about Ridley's role.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it'll be like Other M done right.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If Ridley's not playable after all this Pyrosphere BS...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
For the people claiming it's a big conspiracy theory that Pyrosphere isn't in the demo because of Ridley because they want to hide Ridley as playable, that doesn't make any sense.

If he was playable, he wouldn't show up anyway. Sakurai and the people making these decisions are not thinking about Ridley 24/7, so to think they would leave a stage out for ONE character is not likely.

I can't say why they wouldn't have the stage. But saying it has to do with them not wanting to show off Ridley has no grounds and nothing to back it up. Don't give it any credence. I'm telling you, Pyrosphere not being in the demo means absolutely nothing.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think it does. Especially after the smash direct tease

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
It seems that we're on the same ground that before. I find it hilarious that we get to see the two stages that were revealed this week, but not the pyrosphere that we have know for months.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Lack of Pyrosphere in demo is promising, it's the only Wii U stage revealed in August and before that was not playable in the demo. I would wager it was intentionally hidden to hide Ridley's playable status.

EDIT: Forgot Garden of Hope, which was revealed in July with Olimar and yet was not playable in the demo, invalidating my statement. Lack of Pyrosphere is still suspicious though with its still early reveal and all the screenshots/footage we seen of it.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I find it VERY odd they haven't let anyone play on Pyrosphere yet.
Is it really anymore weird than Mario Galaxy, Kalos Pokemon League, Palutena's Temple, Wii Fit Studio, Windy Hill, and Garden of Hope not being playable?

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Well, look at the silver lining. Since the Gematsu Leak is most likely right, that means that we'll be getting post-launch character DLC. Even if Ridley isn't in the final version, well, we could still get him after launch.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I would be a little more accepting of the "No Pyrosphere = Yes Ridley" if there was a huge list of stages that was mysteriously missing Pyrosphere.

But there were like five stages and Pyrosphere just happened to not be one of them.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Is it really anymore weird than Mario Galaxy, Kalos Pokemon League, Palutena's Temple, Wii Fit Studio, Windy Hill, and Garden of Hope not being playable?
You mean those stages who are all relevant to confirmed playable characters who wouldn't show up as a hazard on them anyway? Yes. I dunno why it wouldn't be.

The issue is, with the deliberate teasing of Ridley, Pyrosphere being shown in and of itself would confirm or deconfirm Ridley. No other stage is in a position where it is going to confirm or deconfirm a largely requested newcomer who was deliberately teased at the current time. If any of those stages were playable, nobody would go "Rosalina/Greninja/Palutena/WFT/Sonic/Olimar are/aren't playable".

You can pretend and ignore blatantly obvious things all you guys want, but it's a deliberate mess that I just am too tired to put up with today. :Y

EDIT: Eight stages were missing. One was FInal Destination. One was Pyrosphere. The other six Wii U stages we were aware of at the time didn't have a teased character who may or may not have been their stage hazard.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Among other things....the Yellow Devil is the only boss we know of so far. Ridley may still be a boss, and if he is, he'll definitely be shown at a later time with other bosses.

Whether Ridley is playable or not, I honestly don't think this has much of a bearing on his chance either way.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
For the people claiming it's a big conspiracy theory that Pyrosphere isn't in the demo because of Ridley because they want to hide Ridley as playable, that doesn't make any sense.

If he was playable, he wouldn't show up anyway. Sakurai and the people making these decisions are not thinking about Ridley 24/7, so to think they would leave a stage out for ONE character is not likely.

I can't say why they wouldn't have the stage. But saying it has to do with them not wanting to show off Ridley has no grounds and nothing to back it up. Don't give it any credence. I'm telling you, Pyrosphere not being in the demo means absolutely nothing.
The point is that they hinted Ridley was a boss earlier. Pyrosphere being shown off at E3 with Ridley appearing as a boss would disconfirm him as playable, and if the stage was in and he didn't show up, then he'd be confirmed as playable. The stage not showing up at all, though?

majora_787

Smash Hero
I really do not think they would hold out this long and this deliberately on deconfirming a requested newcomer as such a disappointing hype and excitement-shattering thing. The longer they avoid it, the more I gain hope but lose patience for it. :Y

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The point is that they hinted Ridley was a boss earlier. Pyrosphere being shown off at E3 with Ridley appearing as a boss would disconfirm him as playable, and if the stage was in and he didn't show up, then he'd be confirmed as playable. The stage not showing up at all, though?
It still doesn't mean anything.

I know you guys want answers, but you simply cannot act as if Sakurai is thinking on the same train of thought as you guys. For all we know, he might not have thought anything of having Ridley as a boss on Pyrosphere, much less not including him in the demo. The last thing this guy is gonna think about is, "Oh boy! How can I troll the Ridley fan base today?!" That is NOT what is happening here. That's far too much energy to put into one character.

As Ridley fans, you guys are all about things concerning Ridley. That's understandable. However, Sakurai is not a part of the Ridley fanbase, and is likely not seeing things on the same level as you guys are. So I would abandon the idea that he wasn't shown deliberately because frankly, that doesn't make any ****ing sense.

If he was playable, then showing Pyrosphere wouldn't have mattered anyway. You have the stage with lava hazards, and that's that. If he's a stage hazard, then maybe they decided to only have one stage with a boss and chose Wily's Castle for a 3rd party stage. There are so many alternatives that make plenty of sense without resorting to "OMG PLAYABLE RIDLEY"

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
You mean those stages who are all relevant to confirmed playable characters who wouldn't show up as a hazard on them anyway? Yes. I dunno why it wouldn't be.

The issue is, with the deliberate teasing of Ridley, Pyrosphere being shown in and of itself would confirm or deconfirm Ridley. No other stage is in a position where it is going to confirm or deconfirm a largely requested newcomer who was deliberately teased at the current time. If any of those stages were playable, nobody would go "Rosalina/Greninja/Palutena/WFT/Sonic/Olimar are/aren't playable".

You can pretend and ignore blatantly obvious things all you guys want, but it's a deliberate mess that I just am too tired to put up with today. :Y

EDIT: Eight stages were missing. One was FInal Destination. One was Pyrosphere. The other six Wii U stages we were aware of at the time didn't have a teased character who may or may not have been their stage hazard.
I agree with your conclusion, it's just that it can be interpreted one of two ways:
It could be just another one of the stages that just happen to be left out. There's no real reason that Garden of Hope, Pokemon League, etc. weren't playable. While we can provide a logical reason as to why Pyrosphere wasn't, and I agree that it is kind of suspicious, there's still the possibility that it really was excluded just because.
Or it could be because Ridley is actually playable and showing Pyrosphere without the stage hazard would straight-up confirm him.
Just playing devil's advocate I suppose. I've been convinced, and I'm personally actually leaning towards it being the latter, but I still hold in me some doubts. I just never know with these people.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
It still doesn't mean anything.

I know you guys want answers, but you simply cannot act as if Sakurai is thinking on the same train of thought as you guys. For all we know, he might not have thought anything of having Ridley as a boss on Pyrosphere, much less not including him in the demo. The last thing this guy is gonna think about is, "Oh boy! How can I troll the Ridley fan base today?!" That is NOT what is happening here. That's far too much energy to put into one character.

As Ridley fans, you guys are all about things concerning Ridley. That's understandable. However, Sakurai is not a part of the Ridley fanbase, and is likely not seeing things on the same level as you guys are. So I would abandon the idea that he wasn't shown deliberately because frankly, that doesn't make any ****ing sense.

If he was playable, then showing Pyrosphere wouldn't have mattered anyway. You have the stage with lava hazards, and that's that. If he's a stage hazard, then maybe they decided to only have one stage with a boss and chose Wily's Castle for a 3rd party stage. There are so many alternatives that make plenty of sense without resorting to "OMG PLAYABLE RIDLEY"
I think you underestimate Sakurai's trolling abilities. But honestly you make a good point and I admit the Ridley situation has gotten incredibly weird, in fact I can't think of any other character that's been in a position this bizarre. Still though we can always hold up hope that there's a chance. Also the new Sal leak kinda hinted at DLC so there's always the possibility that he'll be in after launch.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
To be entirely honest, if the Sal leak is true, I'm not confident in Sakurai's ability to choose good DLC characters anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom