• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think the most interesting thing about that thread for me was that it was titled "What character do you want to see in SSBM2" instead of Smash 3. Also, there are so many weirder suggestions there than you ever see these days. Kraid? Nabooru? Huh. I saw some decent repping for Kongs (mostly Diddy) and K. Rool though!

Holy crapola the Wario support.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Huh. Neat. Found a small thread from 2003 for newcomers in the next Smash, and Ridley was quite popular it seems. Even though his size WAS brought up, people still wanted him anyway.
The Fusion Suit Samus request was actually the second-most common Metroid character request until Dark Samus showed, and yes, most people understood the character would be a clone yet had no problem with that.

Its pretty interesting how Ridley and K. Rool are the only two characters in that thread that are still requested yet still not in.

D

Deleted member

The Fusion Suit Samus request was actually the second-most common Metroid character request until Dark Samus showed, and yes, most people understood the character would be a clone yet had no problem with that.

Its pretty interesting how Ridley and K. Rool are the only two characters in that thread that are still requested yet still not in.
I also saw a Mega Man request on that thread.

I wish I knew how to get to pre-2007 posts on this website (at least ones who's last post was on January 1st, 2007). I really want to see the entirety of the pre-Brawl hype, not just part of it and it's awesome that Oasis_S found a way to get beyond January 1st, 2007.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I first remember the "too big" arguments a year or few before Brawl had its official name and was just referred to as Super Smash Bros Revolution (when the Wii used to be called the Revolution before it had its real name).

But yeah, that thread is a nice find... Ironic that the too biggers didn't come off as tenacious at the time.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I also saw a Mega Man request on that thread.

I wish I knew how to get to pre-2007 posts on this website (at least ones who's last post was on January 1st, 2007). I really want to see the entirety of the pre-Brawl hype, not just part of it and it's awesome that Oasis_S found a way to get beyond January 1st, 2007.
I didn't know that was a problem? I don't see anything in my user settings that would make me special...

I'm searching manually, if that means anything.

D

Deleted member

I didn't know that was a problem? I don't see anything in my user settings that would make me special...

I'm searching manually, if that means anything.
Just trying to figure out how find contents in regards to pre-2007 stuffs. Not sure what you mean by "searching manually".

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I see what he did. He got that thread from melee discussion.

SSBF, your looking in Brawl character discussion

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Just trying to figure out how find contents in regards to pre-2007 stuffs. Not sure what you mean by "searching manually".
Well, for reference, the K. Rool thread was called Kremling Power back then. (Kutthroats is so much better...) Maybe try and find that?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
AM I CRAZY? The Melee Discussion forum doesn't have a particular thread for pre-Brawl-reveal discussion, and nothing in the Brawl section covers before its reveal either. I swear I had visited here before E3 '06 to discuss the next Smash?

...Maybe the stuff in that in-between period got deleted. Must have been in its own section that wasn't carried over when the Brawl boards were created.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I did like the Ridley Boss fight in Brawl. He made a cool entrance (running Samus across the wall like a piece of cheese on a grater), was challenge without being unfair and unlike Meta Ridley his Trophy wasn't a complete ***** to get.

I'd love to see him make the jump to playable in 4 but him being a boss in brawl wasn't all bad.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Oh boy, the fun of returning after half a year of no Internet and getting locked out of your account and email just made getting all that reading all the more tolerable. I actually didn't realize I couldn't post until AFTER reading everything, at that. C'est la vie.
IsmaR sounds familiar
She died a long time ago. Along with the Brawl disc, hype, and contact with the Smash community. I'm starting anew, pretty much..

And yeah, welcome back IsmaR! Have fun catching up... I guess. You'll have a lot more of that to do than I did when I first returned here.
If it's anything like grinding for S3.0 (which I did achieve in time for Judgment, btw), I'm still game. Amongst the bunch of new meat, old memories and familiar faces around here are appreciated.

Oh wow, you read through the whole thread? I think this is the biggest character support thread at the moment...

But there haven't been many too-biggers so far. Most people accept he's highly wanted and should be in, but they may have GUT FEELINGS that prevent them from being very confident.
Correction, was going to. I had some old skeletons to bury before I could start. Then the wackiness of account security reared its ugly head, and long story short, hai Oasis. Those people with gut feelings should probably take some antacids.
If Ridley is finally confirmed at E3 2013 we should all change our avatars to the official artwork used for Ridley in Smash 4.
That may be problematic, considering Ninty's taking a breather from E3 this year. I'm with Prime on the whole 'Doing the avi crap anyway' boat, regardless.

Anyway. I actually laughed at FalKoopa's find. It would make perfect sense considering how every $5-sandwich-sized character in Brawl made it out to be taller than pretty much every small looking Pokemon supposedly 2-3 feet tall. What else goes on?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

That may be problematic, considering Ninty's taking a breather from E3 this year. I'm with Prime on the whole 'Doing the avi crap anyway' boat, regardless.
?
All Nintendo said was that they are not going to have a big E3 conference. They will still be at E3 and reveal new game stuff during the week of E3, but it will be through stuff like Nintendo Direct.

Besides, Sakurai and Iwata both confirmed that Smash 4 will be unveiled at E3 2013.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
All Nintendo said was that they are not going to have a big E3 conference. They will still be at E3 and reveal new game stuff during the week of E3, but it will be through stuff like Nintendo Direct.

Besides, Sakurai and Iwata both confirmed that Smash 4 will be unveiled at E3 2013.
I was under the impression that it would be a closed doors meeting type thing, similar to how Brawl was originally unveiled. And that Nintendo was going to reveal it sometime near in one of the small Nintendo DIrect Conferences they're going to be holding days later/earlier. Either way, something big'll go down around that time, I guess. It'd be downright unpatriotic of us to not be paying attention anyway.

Off the record, "Word of Sakurai" kinda lost meaning with me after the other supposed things he 'confirmed' in the past. I have no doubt Nintendo would let that happen either way.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thanks to no-one citing their sources rumors often end up easily being taken as fact. Remember that supposed French interview that said that Ridley would replace the Ice Climbers in Brawl? It took until the IC appearing on the dojo for that to be completely dispelled.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If it's anything like grinding for S3.0 (which I did achieve in time for Judgment, btw), I'm still game. Amongst the bunch of new meat, old memories and familiar faces around here are appreciated.
Oh, since you got S3.0 (nice!), catching up on any thread here has got nothing on you then, haha. Still occasionally wish I could get back most of the time I spent grinding that... And that's good to hear.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Another thing I noticed about that link that Oasis provided, someone asked for Poo (EarthBound). I remember for some reason that character had a cult following during pre-Melee.

D

Deleted member

Some reason? His name was "Poo".
That's the only reason why people would want him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I didn't quite get the Poo hype, and where it came from. But his supporters where SO sure he'd be in... What started it though Chrono?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
For funsies, the characters who got multiple mentions are listed:

1. Wario 9
2. Ridley 6
3. Meta Knight 5
4. Diddy 4
5. Bomberman 4
6. Wolf 3
7. Brian 2
8. Simon Belmont 2
9. Chrono 2
10. Donkey Kong Jr 2
11. Ridley too big 2
12. King K. Rool 2
13. Megaman 2
14. Lolo 2

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
For funsies, the characters who got multiple mentions are listed:

1.Wario 9
2.Ridley 6
3.Meta Knight 5
4.Diddy 4
5.Bomberman 4
6.Wolf 3
7.Brian 2
8.Simon Belmont 2
9.Chrono 2
10.Donkey Kong Jr 2
11.Ridley too big 2
12.King K. Rool 2
13.Megaman 2
14.Lolo 2
dat 11

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly. I think a lot of the support for Ridley came from the Melee trailer.

And know what, the Melee trailer was mostly made to show what the GameCube was visually capable of. So having Ridley in there pure for Metroid cinematic's sake isn't perse an arguement able to use that the development team likes Ridley. Or wants him to be playable for that matter.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly. I think a lot of the support for Ridley came from the Melee trailer.

And know what, the Melee trailer was mostly made to show what the GameCube was visually capable of. So having Ridley in there pure for Metroid cinematic's sake isn't perse an arguement able to use that the development team likes Ridley. Or wants him to be playable for that matter.
It does mean that they see him as important.

They could have picked any scene from Metroid and they chose a scene that he stars in.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
This is how I've always imagined our threads.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Although that last panel kind of looks like Ridley ate Krystal because she was right next to his head and all that's left is Ridley saying Yay

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Prediction: The next Star Fox game is going to explore the fact that Metroid and Star Fox are actually in the same universe and that Ridley is just a unique pterodactyl from Dinosaur Planet. Krystal starts flying around space on top of Ridley, and the games forever after just forget about Fox McCloud and focus on Krystal's space dinosaur adventures.
Together, Krystal and Ridley visit Mario Galaxy.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Just 1.5 months until Ridley could can very well be confirmed. We are literally counting down just weeks until a possible confirmation.

It feels almost like the nearing end to a war.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You should play through all the Ridley battles to pass the time.
That is actually what I am planning to do starting in May. :laugh:

At the very least, I am going to do new playthroughs of Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Fusion.

schniderx

Smash Rookie
This is what I call my priority list. I almost everyone on it. I want the people that would reach out the most people that are not consider Brawl 4. So therefore I want the most popular people. I organize these in the order that I think people would actually be happy to see them in. People in list 1 are the people I believe people want most. I am not just talking about smash enthusiasts. These are the iconic potential characters. Everyone in list 1 is 10+ years old and is a game with over 1 million copies sold. (except Palutena and Issac) Don't tell me you haven't heard of them.
(List 1)
Ridley
King K. Rool
Mewtwo
Megaman
Banjo & Kazooie
Dark Samus
Bomberman
Majora or Ghirahim
Dixie Kong (people want her)
Krystal
Roy
Palutena (she is going to become an icon if they keep releasing pit games)
Shadow, Knuckles, Tails, Rouge (These would maximize happy people) I personally want Choas too
(Now despite what the votes say about Rayman and Black Shadow I know these characters had their pay day. They are Icons.)
Rayman
Black Shadow

Samurai Gooh
(I'm thinking the only reason more people voted for him is they didn't realize who Black Shadow was)
Isaac
( He is on here because he got over 100 votes in the Brawl Vault. I haven't heard of him and could careless. His game according to Wikipedia only sold a little more than 680,000 units in the US, but people like him. I believe they should reach out too as many people as they can. (Maybe he's just popular among brawl fanatics) He looks cool though I think he could grow on me. (Unlike Little Mac)

List two is a list of people that I think of people that think I found their way onto the popular list, but are not as Iconic to non-brawl enthusiasts. Now that should be important because ultimately we want our friends to be happy playing brawl. Are your Megaman friends that have a portable Nintendo console and not a single Nintendo platform are not going to be hyped about anyone on list 2. I mean when Megaman and if he isn't included. For this reason, I would rather them prioritize the characters over the first list. I am positive more people would want to buy smash 4 with Rayman than with Little Mac. Little Mac is my prime example of a perfect list 2 character. More people know and like everyone on list 1. Most have been out longer and all of them are Icons. Ask a person who is would consider, but is not planning on buying it that they would rather have. Most people that know Little Mac are already hard core smash bros fans and as I said would you really prioritize them over the first list.Even more importantly would your friends prioritize them over the first list? How about the ones that aren't very into brawl? I simply don't understand why anyone would prioritize one of these guys over even Rayman or Black Shadow despite the votes) Sometimes people don't think before they vote. These are just fads. Not icons. If they put someone list two you haven't heard of, but didn't put someone list one wouldn't you be mad.
(List 2)
Little Mac
Shulk
Geno
Takamaru
Pac Man (A new smash bros fad) yes he's classic but not owned by Nintendo and not a priority.)
Mii

List 3 is similar in that a lot of people will be mad about them being prioritized over people in list 1. We got plenty of Mario, Pokémon and Fox characters. Would you want them prioritized? I think we need a new vote for everyone who do you want prioritized.
(List 3)
Paper Mario
Walugi
(Fox characters other than Krystal)
Toad
Zoroark

People I don't want to see again because they wasted Nintendo's time.
Olmar
Rob
Lucus
Ice climbers
Jigglypuff
Mr. Game and Watch

I do not want anyone from list 2 or 3 that is why. I hate it when I see some I haven't heard of because that could have been someone from list 1. Everyone else I didn't even want to mention. (They be a waste of time) I would like Roy over Marth but I would be very angry if he wasn't in.

Do you agree if you have a valid reason to agree or disagree? Message me; I'd like to hear you out. (Unless your rude then don't bother)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I disagree with a lot of your list, and this is also not the place to post or discuss it

Top Bottom