• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Obligatory Little Birdie post.
Don't worry buddy. I wouldn't mind ya if you got in. I always thought you were kinda cool. Plus you grow up into my favorite vi- OH **** IT'S EATING MY HAND!!!!

D

Deleted member

One thing I don't get about Little Birdie:

Why in the Hell does it have big bat ears? Grown-up Ridley doesn't have those things. Neither does his Hairy Lizard stage.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
One thing I don't get about Little Birdie:

Why in the Hell does it have big bat ears? Grown-up Ridley doesn't have those things. Neither does his Hairy Lizard stage.
To make the plot twist even more....twisty!

Yeah. That's all I got. I guess it just looked nice with the fur.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, we got bat rabbit chicken Furby as the first stage, hairy lizard dog (seriously, look at dat tongue with dat panting) as the second stage, then we get a dragon?
Ridley's evolution line is more messed up than a sucker fish to an octopus (and yes, I'm well aware of the "gun evolving to cannon" stick they have).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
In Other M, I remember that before the second-form Ridley fight, you see Little Birdy's body with his back open as if it was a shell of sorts... with some green liquid spilled around.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That was a nod to evolution in Alien or somethin IIRC. With how much and how long the series has been inspired by Alien, it wouldn't be surprising really.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
How's it a nod to evolution in Alien? The xenomorph life cycle is bursting out of a chest and then becoming a big alien... their form doesn't change nearly as much as mammal to reptile to dragonbug.

The unique evolution feature in the Aliens series is that they breed through injecting parasites and the resulting alien takes on genetic traits of its host... something that, eck, I hope Ridley's race doesn't do.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wat? Little Birdie appriciation? I did that months ago. Y'all hated me for it. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member

I didn't hate.

Honestly, I find Little Birdie to be troll-worthy.
If they do in fact make Ridley evolve in Smash, I'm maining the Hell out of the Little Birdie stage.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I was wondering, how did the "Ridley is too big!" reasoning for him not being in Smash come from?

Was it from the Nintendo Power interview with Sakurai where he said he never considered Ridley and that he'd "be slow"? Or was it from something else?

D

Deleted member

Some idiot that didn't want Ridley started spouting off that he was too big to be a character, and shrinking him would make him "lame" and "pathetic".

Then other idiots joined in the "too big" bandwagon.

That's all I know.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh. Why did use this argument for him?
People were trying to justify why he wasn't included in Brawl while also looking for a reason that would keep him out of future Smash games. Considering they seem to have forgotten characters can be resized and Ridley isn't "too big" in all his appearances, they latched onto the dumb size argument.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Well, apparently that bandwagon has been moving for for over 5 years. You don't often see that argument here often, but on gamefaqs.....(granted I'm positive over 75% of the people who spout that are trolling.)

D

Deleted member

Like I said, idiots.
Anyone that knows anything knows that the argument has more holes than a slice of Swiss cheese.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not to mention that Kirby is 8 inches and Olimar is as tall as coin.

But let's move on to the next topic. Ridley is probably the most likely Metroid rep because the Japanese don't seem to thing the Prime sub-series exists (Other M was written as is the Prime series never happened) and Kraid is DEFIANTLY too big. Unless you want fake Kraid as a PC.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I mean Ridley is the most likely series Rep but if he is deemed not playable by Sakurai for any reason then Next in line is Darl Samus right? Or not because **** despised the Prime series and would be seen as a clone..(yh if the devs make DS like that...) and if not Dark samus then no one else from the series is popular & important enough to get in right? So we just get stuck with Samus & ZSS right?

Not hating or wanting this to happen ofc..just a negative but imo a realistic outcome...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I mean Ridley is the most likely series Rep but if he is deemed not playable by Sakurai for any reason then Next in line is Darl Samus right? Or not because JPN despised the Prime series and would be seen as a clone..(yh if the devs make DS like that...) and if not Dark samus then no one else from the series is popular & important enough to get in right? So we just get stuck with Samus & ZSS right?

Not hating or wanting this to happen ofc..just a negative but imo a realistic outcome...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean Ridley is the most likely series Rep but if he is deemed not playable by Sakurai for any reason then Next in line is Darl Samus right? Or not because **** despised the Prime series and would be seen as a clone..(yh if the devs make DS like that...) and if not Dark samus then no one else from the series is popular & important enough to get in right? So we just get stuck with Samus & ZSS right?

We could get Anthony.

Despite Other M's (undeserved) negative reception, Anthony is pretty popular.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If Ridley is finally confirmed at E3 2013 we should all change our avatars to the official artwork used for Ridley in Smash 4.

If we get that Ridley evolution, we should plot how to kidnap Sakurai's cat and hold him/her for ransom, until Sakurai fixes that abomination.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Ridley will look like his super Metroid self. If not that then a hybrid of various designs he's had. Minus other m and Metroid 1

D

Deleted member

If we get Ridley's evolution, Ima switch my avi to the official Little Birdie artwork and tell everyone to calm the **** down. At least Ridley would be playable.

bobadz

Smash Ace
If we get Ridley's evolution, Ima switch my avi to the official Little Birdie artwork and tell everyone to calm the **** down. At least Ridley would be playable.
I honestly feel this way too.

My only concerns are about Character cuts, and I doubt anyone from brawl will be cut, so I'm not worried.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
In the original Ridley for Brawl thread back in May '06, the first argument brought up for Ridley was that he would be a Bowser clone. It wasn't until the 37th post that someone said he would be too big. 37th wow.

This sounds like a good question for Chrono really... When did the whole too big thing get started? Was it around for Melee? It didn't become a meme until Brawl...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This sounds like a good question for Chrono really... When did the whole too big thing get started? Was it around for Melee? It didn't become a meme until Brawl...
Basically it came from the Nintendo Power interview, you know the one where Sakurai said "that would be impossible, but with enough effort it could work" or whatever, and people misinterpreted that statement as Ridley being too big to feasibly work as a playable character. Since then it became a tad of a running gag in the Smash community, though the argument does crop up seriously from time to time.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
That was after Brawl was released though.

People just used that as justification for an argument that already existed.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The too big argument did not exist for Ridley during pre-Melee (the only gauge people had for how big Ridley would be in 3D was Ridley's appearance at the E3 2001 Melee trailer). Typically the arguments against Ridley during pre-Melee were:
- Metroid was an inactive franchise (even though two new games were on the way at the time).
- There were lots of other characters that needed to get in before another Metroid character could be added.
- That Ridley was not the main villain of the series and "just another boss".

For pre-Brawl, the "too big" argument did not take off until:

However, seriously doubt would strike when there was confirmation for boss battles for Brawl’s massive single-player mode, The Subspace Emissary. The update pertaining to Petey Pirahna as a boss for the SSE in August 2007, led to lots of serious doubt about Ridley’s prospects as a playable character in Brawl. It was from here that the meme and idea that Ridley was “too big” began to take off. For doubters, Ridley’s size in the Metroid series (or rather most games within it) meant that he could not be included as a playable character since shrinking him down to the size of other fighters would not be canonical. However, Ridley supporters countered this point with various arguments (Ridley’s own changing size with the Metroid series, how the sizes for various characters already in Smash Bros. were altered compared to their series of origin, and the shining example of Melee’s intro where Ridley was of a similar size compared to Samus).

Basically, doubt started to set in for Ridley being "too big" as soon as boss fights were confirmed for Brawl.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I remember even before boss battles were confirmed, people had been saying pretty often that he should only be in as a boss...

THE BOSS BATTLE UPDATE SUCKED.

Gosh, I hate remembering those days. So much dumb everywhere. Some people couldn't even imagine him walking? Even before his Omega Ridley battle was known, people were thinking he'd crawl around on all fours? But people were seriously using "he flies all the time" as an argument against him.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I remember even before boss battles were confirmed, people had been saying pretty often that he should only be in as a boss...

THE BOSS BATTLE UPDATE SUCKED.

Gosh, I hate remembering those days. So much dumb everywhere. Some people couldn't even imagine him walking? Even before his Omega Ridley battle was known, people were thinking he'd crawl around on all fours?
In July the Ridley music update on the Dojo had the word "boss fight" in it, which began speculation that there would be boss fights in Brawl and that Ridley would one of them.

Curiously, I checked the Dojo a few weeks ago, and the word "boss fight" was not in the title to the update.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
NAH MAN, people were throwing around "boss only" before the music update. Before the Dojo.

By the way your little explanation up there was cool and all, and maybe it explains how it reached more of a memetic status, but "too big" existed before that. BUT HOW WOULD YOU KNOW. YOU WEREN'T THERE FOR US. (I was kind of hoping you'd know about when it started in GameFaqs or WHATEVER. May 19th, 2006 is probably the first recorded usage of "too big" on SmashBoards)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
By the way your little explanation up there was cool and all, and maybe it explains how it reached more of a memetic status, but "too big" existed before that. BUT HOW WOULD YOU KNOW. YOU WEREN'T THERE FOR US. (I was kind of hoping you'd know about when it started in GameFaqs. May 19th, 2006 is probably the first recorded usage of "too big" on SmashBoards)
I was pretty much scaring people on GameFAQs to be detractors for Ridley to be honest. People that said "too big" got whacked with a wall-of-text explaining otherwise. Otherwise I don't know when it particularly started. I just know it did not become a "popular" argument against Ridley until July/August 2007.

ZSS getting in over Ridley was really bad for us Ridley supporters though. I would say that happening is what made some people start to think something was "off" about Ridley for him not to get in.

I was not active on SmashBoards until the second half of 2007. The craziness of the Ridley thread made me want to stay clear of it despite how much I wanted Ridley.

The other common argument against Ridley was that he "too ferocious" or "violent" to be in. That his bite and scratch attacks would look out of place in Smash Bros.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, Ridley is the anti-Tom Nook/ Villager?

(said Tom Nook first because he's better)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
How's it a nod to evolution in Alien? The xenomorph life cycle is bursting out of a chest and then becoming a big alien... their form doesn't change nearly as much as mammal to reptile to dragonbug.
Ridley's life cycles involved bursting out of the body too, only difference being it was out of the back instead of out of a chest. Additionally, the hairy lizard form's husk was stuck to a wall, which is a tactic Xenomorphs use to restrain chestburster hosts until the chestburster emerges. If those aren't a nod to Alien then I don't know what is.

If Ridley is finally confirmed at E3 2013 we should all change our avatars to the official artwork used for Ridley in Smash 4.

If we get that Ridley evolution, we should plot how to kidnap Sakurai's cat and hold him/her for ransom, until Sakurai fixes that abomination.
Works for me, though if the former happens I probably would've made it my avi even if you hadn't suggested it. :p

Gosh, I hate remembering those days. So much dumb everywhere. Some people couldn't even imagine him walking? Even before his Omega Ridley battle was known, people were thinking he'd crawl around on all fours? But people were seriously using "he flies all the time" as an argument against him.
Hell, that last argument was one I saw in this thread once, but yeah... Such despicable memories we have of the pre-Brawl arguments against him. For me the worst part of it was prolly when the dojo first had the update for his battle music, as that's when the sparks really started flying.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Huh. Neat. Found a small thread from 2003 for newcomers in the next Smash, and Ridley was quite popular it seems. Even though his size WAS brought up, people still wanted him anyway. Was the earliest example I could find of his size being brought up, but It looks like maybe the "too big" idea had been around before then though.

I always figured it was an idea that had been spread around, but I guess it's just something people who don't know how to think come up with themselves... and get defensive over.

@Prime: PFFF I remember we were all really excited that RIDLEY'S THEME was revealed for RIDLEY'S STAGE. I KNOW I WAS. Were a lot of "RIDLEY CONFIRMED" posts that day.

Top Bottom