• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So let me rephrase what I said earlier. I will admit my argument that he would be heavy doesn't have much weight to it (HA), but I do feel like he most certainly wouldn't constantly be flying. I don't know whether that's what some people are thinking or what...

Basically, having Ridley constantly flying would be troublesome. He would have to be able to walk on the ground to work by the rules of Smash. He has to be able to be KO'd in all directions, meaning he would have to be able to hit the ground, etc... I might not be making a whole lot of sense to people but it makes sense to me.

I may be completely misunderstanding what people think Ridley will be capable of. But from what I've read, it comes across that people think Ridley will always be flying like he does in the video. That wouldn't make sense. What if he gets smashed off the stage, but not KO'd? Can he just fly at the bottom of the stage until somebody actually KO's him? He would have to play by the rules of Smash, meaning he would have to have a ground game. Which would then come full circle, meaning he couldn't always be flying gameplay wise.

Again, this makes sense to me, but it might not make any sense to anybody else because I'm trying to put together my thoughts on the whole concept. There would have to be some sort of way to adjust his height off of the stage.

Let me try to explain this...Say he is always flying. So he starts at the bottom of the stage at the start of the match. Can he adjust the height of his flight on the fly? Because the way that video clip looks, he looks as if he's sticking to one height in the duration of the flight. Meaning, if he HAD jumped off of a platform prior to that clip of him grabbing Pikachu, he would have to land eventually instead of continuing to fly. Simply put, the height that he would be at seems strange for a playable character who would be constantly flying to stay at.

I guess I need somebody to explain to me how the flying would work, because right now to me it seems too crazy to work lol. Hence the confusion that you probably have from reading this post.
I would imagine RIdley would move like Mewtwo; He would fly when "running" or "walking" with his feet barely touching the ground. For another instance of "constantly flying", there's Meta Knight's run, where he flies just barely above the ground. He would touch down on the ground when crouching or knocked down there. But enough about idling snimations.

Maybe it's like Pit's Brawl Up B, explaining why Pit got that taken from him.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
but they scrapped that on Pit. Makes me think they didn't like that direction of gameplay. (read, infinite flying).
They could have just given to another character who they thought would benefit from it more.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
but they scrapped that on Pit. Makes me think they didn't like that direction of gameplay. (read, infinite flying).
inb4 someone says Pit donated that move to Ridley. DANG IT SWAMP.

Actually, that could easily happen. I think move donors have happened before, but the only one I can think of right now is :fox64: giving his original blaster to :falcomelee:.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
So let me rephrase what I said earlier. I will admit my argument that he would be heavy doesn't have much weight to it (HA), but I do feel like he most certainly wouldn't constantly be flying. I don't know whether that's what some people are thinking or what...

Basically, having Ridley constantly flying would be troublesome. He would have to be able to walk on the ground to work by the rules of Smash. He has to be able to be KO'd in all directions, meaning he would have to be able to hit the ground, etc... I might not be making a whole lot of sense to people but it makes sense to me.

I may be completely misunderstanding what people think Ridley will be capable of. But from what I've read, it comes across that people think Ridley will always be flying like he does in the video. That wouldn't make sense. What if he gets smashed off the stage, but not KO'd? Can he just fly at the bottom of the stage until somebody actually KO's him? He would have to play by the rules of Smash, meaning he would have to have a ground game. Which would then come full circle, meaning he couldn't always be flying gameplay wise.

Again, this makes sense to me, but it might not make any sense to anybody else because I'm trying to put together my thoughts on the whole concept. There would have to be some sort of way to adjust his height off of the stage.

Let me try to explain this...Say he is always flying. So he starts at the bottom of the stage at the start of the match. Can he adjust the height of his flight on the fly? Because the way that video clip looks, he looks as if he's sticking to one height in the duration of the flight. Meaning, if he HAD jumped off of a platform prior to that clip of him grabbing Pikachu, he would have to land eventually instead of continuing to fly. Simply put, the height that he would be at seems strange for a playable character who would be constantly flying to stay at.

I guess I need somebody to explain to me how the flying would work, because right now to me it seems too crazy to work lol. Hence the confusion that you probably have from reading this post.
Oh I don't think anyone is that crazy to think he could fly constantly and not have a ground game. I'm sure someone else can better explain how they can limit it.

One guy mentioned before when he grabbed Pikachu that might not count as part of his air time. Think Donkey Kongs carry grab but in the air.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
eh. I was hoping they got rid of it because it was annoying gameplay-wise, but that makes sense.

And to be fair, they changed pit quite a lot anyways, most of his specials and his final smash.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Honestly I think that was more to do with them wanting to make Pit more like his Uprising incarnation. I mean, one of the big things is that he can't fly without Palutena's help. And even then, he can only fly for a short time. It makes sense to change him to be a more ground-based fighter.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Honestly I think that was more to do with them wanting to make Pit more like his Uprising incarnation. I mean, one of the big things is that he can't fly without Palutena's help. And even then, he can only fly for a short time. It makes sense to change him to be a more ground-based fighter.
Palutena confirmed.

And @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones , I don't think Ridley would be able to fly constantly, but maybe be able to fly left and right for a short amount of time via Up B or Peach-like mechanic. This would work better, I feel.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Palutena confirmed.

And @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones , I don't think Ridley would be able to fly constantly, but maybe be able to fly left and right for a short amount of time via Up B or Peach-like mechanic. This would work better, I feel.
My idea would be he can only be so high from the ground/platforms. Like lets say he enters his flight mode on a platform then he can go higher but if he tries to glide off that platform he starts descending to a certain height of whatever ground is below him. He could also start descending if he hovers off he stage to avoid people from just hiding under the stages and what not.

I suck at explaining things lol. I wonder if that would be too complicated to work....

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
A mechanic someone brought up before was that Ridley could gain an extra jump if he hit an enemy while air-borne, thus increasing his air time.

Would that be too overpowered, or perhaps handled in a different way? On the subject of jumps, how many should he have? Three like Brawl Charizard? Or maybe much more? I good number I thought of would be four.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I don't know, I don't think it's particularly as needlessly complicated as people are making it out to be. He probably has a means to hover a la Peach, either as a natural ability or out of his recovery move, it's longer than Peach's hover is (which is fine) and he has attack/grab options out of his hover.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I don't know, I don't think it's particularly as needlessly complicated as people are making it out to be. He probably has a means to hover a la Peach, either as a natural ability or out of his recovery move, it's longer than Peach's hover is (which is fine) and he has attack/grab options out of his hover.
Yeah I say just give him 3 jumps then his recovery can be the hover. It be weird if his neutral B wasn't a fire ball move or maybe side B for fire ball could work too.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
That's what I'm thinking. But you know, it's never happened before, which means it can never happen ever.. (Real logic from real people on Gamefaqs)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, if I heard correctly, we're going to be re-rating Ridley and King K. Rool in the RTC thread. I must say, I'm rather interested to see how Ridley fares this time around, now that there appears to be more evidence against him being a simple stage hazard.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So, if I heard correctly, we're going to be re-rating Ridley and King K. Rool in the RTC thread. I must say, I'm rather interested to see how Ridley fares this time around, now that there appears to be more evidence against him being a simple stage hazard.
I'm guessing an average of 50%.

Because everyone's gonna be voting 0s or 100s, regardless of evidence.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I thought they rated Ridley and K. Rool a long time ago, like after the Direct.

I haven't actually checked though, but I'm certain that they'll give Ridley a really low percentage this time.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Coming up with a (good) moveset for Ridley is not easy, there is a lot to think about his air game. How could this hover mode give him the necessary mobility to be able to chain moves while not being awfully OP?

Ironicaly, if the size was no problem, I believe Meta Ridley would be much easier to work with than Original Ridley, thanks to his fighting style seen in the games, more grounded and with a bigger focus on projectiles and energy attacks.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I thought they rated Ridley and K. Rool a long time ago, like after the Direct.

I haven't actually checked though, but I'm certain that they'll give Ridley a really low percentage this time.
They did. Ridley didn't do too good.

I'm thinking that, this time around, his chances will improve a bit, now that people have analyzed the the Direct more thoroughly and found that Ridley isn't entirely out of the question.

Groose

Smash Champion
I'm still trying to find that one post... that one post I made months ago where I said that at least when we see Ridley on the Pyrosphere we'd know what his role is... I argued that we would be able to see how large he was and thus we wouldn't be able to get trolled. Well, boys... I was wrong.

No, sir! There are two separate movements going on, but both of them are at least a week or so away from being rated. The first is a simple Ridley Rerate; the second is my concept that "both Ridley and K. Rool get in."

There are a few who don't like Ridley. There are a few who don't like K. Rool. However, I can't think of a single user off of the top of my head who is truly against both; I really want to see how that want score goes.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
No, sir! There are two separate movements going on, but both of them are at least a week or so away from being rated. The first is a simple Ridley Rerate; the second is my concept that "both Ridley and K. Rool get in."
Yes, I misread your post. My bad. In retrospect, I think simultaneously trying to read through posts and study late at night was not the best idea I've ever had...

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Hopefully he doesn't have to endure a similar situation to this:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Hm. I guess I see what you're saying, but I simply feel like that wouldn't work. Something about that just seems like they wouldn't do that. That's simply a gut feeling though, so don't take it like I'm stating this objectively.
In all fairness, prior to last year's E3, I would've said the same thing about seeing a Jab act as a projectile. :4megaman:

Or a puppet-master fighting style. :rosalina:

Or...any of this. :4villager::4wiifit::4greninja::substitute:

Ironically I get the same feelings about Charizard, which is funny considering his newest sprite in X/Y doesn't ever touch the ground. He always felt clumsy to me in Brawl as far as aerial mobility came and went.

...Yet his reveal trailer has him soaring past the clouds, and gracefully dodging projectiles left and right. Which is pretty much what I expect Ridley to be doing.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
In all fairness, prior to last year's E3, I would've said the same thing about seeing a Jab act as a projectile. :4megaman:

Or a puppet-master fighting style. :rosalina:

Or...any of this. :4villager::4wiifit::4greninja::substitute:

Ironically I get the same feelings about Charizard, which is funny considering his newest sprite in X/Y doesn't ever touch the ground. He always felt clumsy to me in Brawl as far as aerial mobility came and went.

...Yet his reveal trailer has him soaring past the clouds, and gracefully dodging projectiles left and right. Which is pretty much what I expect Ridley to be doing.
I'll be completely honest here. Wii Fit Trainer, in my honest opinion, is the only true left field character.

Mega Man's jab projectile makes complete sense. Villager made complete sense even though Sakurai said he wouldn't work previously. Rosalina was simply ignored by most people (though her playstyle was nowhere near speculated).

Greninja...is a tough one. While he COULD be considered left field, the only reason I think he is, is because of everyone only expecting Mewtwo. Every game we've gotten a current gen Pokemon, so it's something that again, makes complete sense looking back. But, you're still right in that he wasn't really expected.

Though it doesn't mean nearly as much considering it's hindsight. But yeah, I agree with your point though. While I can't see it happening, it doesn't mean that it necessarily won't.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
For the record the point I'm making is not talking about other characters. I'm saying our previous concept of boundaries/norms we've come to accept when it comes to Smash movesets just keep getting crapped on.

It didn't make sense at all. Even in fighting games with playable Mega Men, the Mega Buster is almost always saved for special moves.

Villager makes sense now. If he still wasn't revealed, along with WFT/Greninja, I doubt any of us could predict them or how they'd play.

That was kind of the entire point I was making about Rosalina. Before that "Peach semi-clone with space stuff/effects" ran rampant.

The reason he is is people expected either the "Lucario" of Gen VI (which was not Greninja. Hell, more people thought Hawlucha, while Greninja was relegated to the "Kalos" Pokemon Trainer trio) or nothing but "Brawl + Mewtwo" from Pokemon. "Current Gen" representation exists in Mega Evolution Final Smashes, and the fact that most of the Kanto veterans got renewed life in X/Y (starter trio, Jigg's new typing, etc.), so it wasn't obvious whether or not that would suffice.

Anyway to bring this all back to Ridley, I'm certain that if by some miracle the best scenario came to fruition, everyone will be saying "of course it made perfect sense he was playable all along! Classic Sakurai move to try to throw us off with the teasing. But I knew it all along!" That's the magic of hindsight.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Hindsight magic is the metaphysical opposite of the salty tears of despair, right? I imagine Ridley could use either or to keep his body intact.

But yeah wow, the newcomers we've seen are all ABOUT just taking a big healthy one on our previously established "restrictions" we've made up after a few games. Which is good for us and for Ridley at the end of the day, even if it makes speculation complicated.

D

Deleted member

Don't care to speculate on the leaks. They either happen or they don't. But I don't believe we're getting only what's been leaked. Admittedly the "Pokemon from X and Y" thing is a bit iffy as well. Somebody on NeoGAF genuinely believes the RosalinaX leak is false as he attempted to confront the guy on his information and the guy was very dodgy about it.
Just going to say that person is me. I've been doing deep investigation into the leak and from what I've concluded, the leak smells like **** and needs to be put into the trash can it belongs. It doesn't change Ridley's fate any, but I just wanted to respond to this. I'd make a thread for it on here, but I'm not sure whenever or not I would be allowed to.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
They could have just given to another character who they thought would benefit from it more.
Sora has glide

Just going to say that person is me. I've been doing deep investigation into the leak and from what I've concluded, the leak smells like **** and needs to be put into the trash can it belongs. It doesn't change Ridley's fate any, but I just wanted to respond to this. I'd make a thread for it on here, but I'm not sure whenever or not I would be allowed to.
If I had to put all my cards out before E3, I would say Sal leaks are legit, we still have characters not mentioned in the leak being included, as well as DLC. Ridley is still very much on the table in my eyes. I think he will be outrightly playable, and DLC will be left to others, perhaps characters from games being announced at E3. Sceptile and Krystal for example. Or a potential new IP character.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what to think of the Sal leak. I haven't looked that far into it, but I like the characters on there. The only thing that seems weird to me, is that the leaker didn't know that the 'Pokémon from X and Y' is Greninja, a character that got revealed on the same day the leak was posted. I just hope these aren't the only newcomers left.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
That's what I'm thinking. But you know, it's never happened before, which means it can never happen ever.. (Real logic from real people on Gamefaqs)
Well, the reason why I bring it up like that is simply 'cause Peach has a hover state and, at the very least, there's plenty of characters with excellent recovery. Peach has attack options out of hover (in fact, that's where a lot of her combat validity lies in competitive; hovering over the stage just so that you can't be grabbed but can nail grounded enemies repeatedly with aerials). As I've pointed out before, several characters have grab options out of aerials, or at least can put you into a similar state (Kirby's Inhale; G-Dawg's Flame Choke). I don't find it particularly far flung of an idea that Ridley can put himself into a flying/hover state at will and still attack/grab out of it, especially if the character in question has a large hitbox, is mid-weight and is a considerable liability on the ground.

I don't think Ridley's inclusion is essentially going to come down to whether or not they CAN include him, more that if they're WILLING to include him. Like it or not, Ridley's become something of a bargaining chip along with a bunch of other characters we clearly want. Denying us certain characters to ensure they have big ticket newcomers for future games feels like something that Sakurai would do, not especially with the current newcomers (I mean, not all of them are 'jump out of your seat' amazing or anything) we've had thrown at us and the prevalence of difficult-to-deny leaks. I've gotta agree with a lot of the people here. It's likely going to boil down to what kind of presence the obligatory newcomers have at E3. I'm hoping, myself, that presence is large, dragon-like and menacing, with an impressive wingspan.

And yeah, that's DEFINITELY GameFAQ's logic. I have an account over there that's been active since '01. I've seen some things, man. And some stuff. I wouldn't recommend it.

OdangoKnight

Smash Cadet
In terms of aerial grabs we have the Beetle from Skyward Sword as well, well it's not strictly aerial but it does grab them into the air.

JinSiege

Smash Rookie
Oh I don't think anyone is that crazy to think he could fly constantly and not have a ground game. I'm sure someone else can better explain how they can limit it.

One guy mentioned before when he grabbed Pikachu that might not count as part of his air time. Think Donkey Kongs carry grab but in the air.
You may be referring to what I posted on page 665 (I think).

I basically stated that, assuming Ridley has been given a mid-air grab, it's evident to see that when he grabs Pikachu with the air grab from his initial jump/fall in from the right, he enters an idle flying animation for as long as Pikachu is in his hands. As soon as Pikachu broke free from the grab, Ridley seemed to begin a brief falling animation, and then a quick jump up and out of the screen before he ran out of jumps.

This means that when Ridley grabs someone in the air, I am thinking he will remain stationary (in a mid-air idle flying animation that wont use jumps to stay up) while the character is in his clutches. Then there may also be an option to move into a mobile carry throw (like DK's f throw) from the idle air grab animation.

This was just a little theory I came up with as I was watching the shadow animation. It's relevance depends entirely on if they gave Ridley an air grab, but I think it's very likely due to that being one of his signature moves throughout the Metroid series. Also if this theory is correct, it would explain why Ridley appears to be in the air so long. They are just taking advantage of the neutral grab timer to make it look like Ridley can fly indefinitely. It's an illusion.

Boy Sakurai sure does know how to troll us good huh? All in all this appears to be a playable Ridley. I figure he will have a standard 5 jumps that flying characters get along with a glide, as well as a good ground game range wise. He may be a little on the slow side compared to others, but Sakurai warned us of that right? If he is slow though, I think he would probably be faster than most other heavy fighters.

I hope this wasn't too hard to understand. Sakurai is making us work hard for this one lol

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
So, as i always do, right when i woke up, i checked the pic of the day. But what i saw was a look into hell. "Pic of the Day: Pyrosphere's flying ace Ridley floats over the stage and disrupts the fighters! He won't leave his stomping grounds for anything. This means you can't play him." My heart sank to it's lowest for all of us Ridley fans and supporters. And then I woke up. I always thought Ridley nightmares were silly...until i had one myself.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero

Wow, PoTD shows that the Assist Trophy item looks as big as Mario.

Oh wait, it's the perspective and position of the camera, just like in that Ridley clip. Funny that.

Moderator Edit: Do not use the daily pic link when posting the newest screenshot.

Last edited by a moderator:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It doesn't mean much. No one isn't going to buy Smash 4 because Ridley isn't playable, you all know that. The backlash will be extremely underwhelming, like the Mewtwo being cut backlash.
I wasn't really referring to the impact of Ridley's exclusion on sales, I referencing why Ridley had so many more detractors compared to some other characters. Mostly the fact that the more popular something is the more people there are to hate on it.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
So, as i always do, right when i woke up, i checked the pic of the day. But what i saw was a look into hell. "Pic of the Day: Pyrosphere's flying ace Ridley floats over the stage and disrupts the fighters! He won't leave his stomping grounds for anything. This means you can't play him." My heart sank to it's lowest for all of us Ridley fans and supporters. And then I woke up. I always thought Ridley nightmares were silly...until i had one myself.
Ridley nightmares are indeed terrifying once you experience them...

Anyways, anyone find the new design for Assist Trophies too big green? I perferred back when they were that pleasing whitish blue color, though the little big eyed thing inside looks amusing.

Top Bottom