• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member 245254

Yeah, we're obviously getting Other M Ridley with maybe some tweaks like thinner shorter arms or some things. Though alt costumes are a possibility. Maybe we'll get Meta Ridley or something.

Also I think the demo is going to forcefully reveal Ridley's fate whether he's on the starting roster or not. It's just the nature of the situation that's been created.
If for some miraculous reason Ridley does end up as a playable character, despite all odds against the idea, not having Meta-Ridley as an alt. costume would be the figurative equivalent of Sakurai pissing in your morning Cheerios.

Last edited by a moderator:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah Ganondorf is gigantic and it's absurd because there is nothing that could possibly make him that tall unless Demise's wrath just makes Ganondorf be super tall. But all of the villains are GIGANTIC more often than not. They're sized down for Smash and still feel really big and heavy compared to other characters, so it works fine.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
The too big argument should be dead, we've been killing it too much.

1up Mushrooms, regeneration, or Philosopher Stones, trying to pick an explanation from my 3 favorite fandoms.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It shouldn't have ever been alive. Saying a character is too big to be in Smash is literally a statement you could only make if you have SO LITTLE KNOWLEDGE of how game design works that you literally equate it to sorcery and miracle work.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
It shouldn't have ever been alive. Saying a character is too big to be in Smash is literally a statement you could only make if you have SO LITTLE KNOWLEDGE of how game design works that you literally equate it to sorcery and miracle work.
My personal list of qualifications also include a humanoid shape and the ability to be reasonably scaled down. I don't expect Grima or Hewdraw or Giygas or Mother Brain to be a playable character in future Smash titles due to size. Ridley CAN be reasonably scaled down, as he's twice Samus's size, minimum, while Grima, well...

Am I allowed to say he's too big? Because if he's workable, I'd gladly support him.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I've been lucky to not have any deconfirmed Ridley nightmares (in fact the one dream I've had was about him on the Punch Out!! stage as playable).

In any case I can't find myself going through 24 hours without thinking about Ridley at least once. It's getting rather crazy...
I've had some Ridley disconfirmation nightmares every now and then.

Usually it's in a boss rush mode, and with both Dark Samus and Ridley as boss characters. Sometimes even King K. Rool is there too, as if it was a boss version of Team Battles.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
It shouldn't have ever been alive.
Same for me and Paper Mario. I was actually expecting the clone argument more than the another mario one but I guess if you didn't like toon link because he was a clone... that kinds of relate to the clone argument which is imo the dumbest argument against him.

Ah I love how this thread is killing dumb arguments :)

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
The only "Ridley in Smash 4" dreams I've had were Ridley being playable and the model a mixture of Other M and Super Metroid Ridley. Then I woke up and sulked for a minute.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
My personal list of qualifications also include a humanoid shape and the ability to be reasonably scaled down. I don't expect Grima or Hewdraw or Giygas or Mother Brain to be a playable character in future Smash titles due to size. Ridley CAN be reasonably scaled down, as he's twice Samus's size, minimum, while Grima, well...

Am I allowed to say he's too big? Because if he's workable, I'd gladly support him.
Spoiler warning.

Well, you could join the Robin support thread. That would be a workable form of Grima.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Oh dear God someone help me...someone help me I've just dealt with it...the worst, LITERALLY THE WORST God Complexing, bull**** spewing, arrogant, face-value judging **** I've seen as of yet. We're talking about mindless thoughts off the deep-end, we're talking MEWTWO IN A POKE-BALL level insanity here...give me the power to punch people through the internet, it would go to good use...

ANYWAYS, RIDLEY...accordingly because they got rid of flying mechanics, Ridley is impossible...also opinions that Ridley would look weird scaled down are now facts, and you're in denial if you think anything else but...Braincells, what're they again? I don't know, I felt them committing suicide one by one as I read through it all.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Being unfathomably big is the only time I'd ever consider Too Big a valid argument. I'm talking Cthulhu level big, man.

But yeah, the only reason why Ridley won't be a character is if Sakurai can't make him work. As much as I love Sakurai, if this was the case, I'd loose faith in him.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Oh dear God someone help me...someone help me I've just dealt with it...the worst, LITERALLY THE WORST God Complexing, bull**** spewing, arrogant, face-value judging **** I've seen as of yet. We're talking about mindless thoughts off the deep-end, we're talking MEWTWO IN A POKE-BALL level insanity here...give me the power to punch people through the internet, it would go to good use...

ANYWAYS, RIDLEY...accordingly because they got rid of flying mechanics, Ridley is impossible...also opinions that Ridley would look weird scaled down are now facts, and you're in denial if you think anything else but...Braincells, what're they again? I don't know, I felt them committing suicide one by one as I read through it all.
Where is the source of all of this? If you can explain, we'll probably tell you on what to do when recovering.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Where is the source of all of this? If you can explain, we'll probably tell you on what to do when recovering.
https://plus.google.com/106584983049936482843/posts

This nut-job is the cause of it all...this strange, strange creature. I'm sure you'll see the comment list if you scroll down and see my channel's icon (The Chibi Felicia)...I warn you, you will want to hang yourself purely based on the ground of it being mentally incomprehensible.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

ANYWAYS, RIDLEY...accordingly because they got rid of flying mechanics, Ridley is impossible...also opinions that Ridley would look weird scaled down are now facts, and you're in denial if you think anything else but...There is no God.
Speaking of which, I wonder if bringing back the Blastoise and Venusaur pokeballs would be seen as a middle finger to Squirtle and Ivysaur fans.

At this point, I'm not even bothering to defend Ridley. I know he's playable, and though I'm not one to say "I told you so" the idea of total detractors holding onto the size argument as to why he's automatically a terrible character is a bit cathartic.

Morbi

Scavenger

I actually miss dealing with people like that in this thread; they were so very easy to dominate.

D

Deleted member

Has it been confirmed that they got rid of ALL flying mechanics? I thought Sakurai simply took it off of Pit as a trade for a slightly stronger moveset and a different Up-B. I thought that other characters such as Charizard could still fly. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Has it been confirmed that they got rid of ALL flying mechanics? I thought Sakurai simply took it off of Pit as a trade for a slightly stronger moveset and a different Up-B. I thought that other characters such as Charizard could still fly. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Nope, it was just Pit's, this guy's just a dumbass.

Morbi

Scavenger
I believe gliding is back; flying is not, but Pit was the only character that could fly anyways.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
It appeared for a while that grapple recoveries were removed, but it was later clarified that they were removed as a primary recovery method.

Kirby and Pit also appear to retain their multiple jumps, so at worst the removed flying mechanics is a lie by omission. And if Charizard and Meta Knight can't fly...

D

Deleted member

That's good, I'm a believer that if Ridley gets in he should have a great air game, so taking out gliding would be a serious hit to not only him but to other characters like Charizard as well, here's hoping that Sakurai only decided to get rid of Pit's and not completely abolish gliding come release time.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
https://plus.google.com/106584983049936482843/posts

This nut-job is the cause of it all...this strange, strange creature. I'm sure you'll see the comment list if you scroll down and see my channel's icon (The Chibi Felicia)...I warn you, you will want to hang yourself purely based on the ground of it being mentally incomprehensible.
That guy...

Made me want to blend out both of my eyes with a hand-held blender. If I'm not mistaken, Ridley's shadow proportions are perfectly feasible to be a playable dude providing he, I don't know, crouched like in (almost) every Metroid Game ever. Maybe his wings appear too large, but those are easily folded because, you know, animals tend to fold their wings when not in use(the only exception would be insects like butterflies or dragonflies...but Ridley is neither of those.)

I'm not saying that the shadow isn't total proof he's a playable character or what because it's a bloody shadow(as good as S.O.B. and the ilk's shadow work as been, it's not concrete as, say, his actual body. However, the fact remains about the shadow is that his wings, much like Prime 1's Meta-Ridley are massive compared to his body. Last I checked, Other Ridley's wings weren't that big.

Finally, saying someone would be awkward smaller just because you think so is the dumbest, meat headed thing I have ever seen. This is coming from a guy who's best friend told him King K. Rool wouldn't be in the game because he was too ugly. I don't think the work of a small team of modders compares to a full scale project undertaken by a team of skilled developers. Even if he did look awkward, it's not like Ridley is a bloody ballerina dancer. Even large, he looks kind of awkward.

Finally, number of games =/= placement. I hope to god that Jiggs is cut to prove that. I have nothing against Jigglypuff, but I really think she should step down. Mewtwo would be a much better fighter, in my opinion. But that's aside the point, that guy should be banned from the internet.

I'm fine with you being against Ridley if you can think of honestly good reasons, but spewing opinionated judgment does not nor will ever qualify as legitimate reason.

Peter5747

Smash Cadet
That's good, I'm a believer that if Ridley gets in he should have a great air game, so taking out gliding would be a serious hit to not only him but to other characters like Charizard as well, here's hoping that Sakurai only decided to get rid of Pit's and not completely abolish gliding come release time.
ridley won't get in, he is nothing but a boss character deal with it

D

Deleted member

I don't imagine starting another argument with this statement would be such a good idea in this thread. Besides, all of us Ridley supporters have heard that statement (and similar things) countless times before. :rolleyes:

Morbi

Scavenger
That guy...

Made me want to blend out both of my eyes with a hand-held blender. If I'm not mistaken, Ridley's shadow proportions are perfectly feasible to be a playable dude providing he, I don't know, crouched like in (almost) every Metroid Game ever. Maybe his wings appear too large, but those are easily folded because, you know, animals tend to fold their wings when not in use(the only exception would be insects like butterflies or dragonflies...but Ridley is neither of those.)

I'm not saying that the shadow isn't total proof he's a playable character or what because it's a bloody shadow(as good as S.O.B. and the ilk's shadow work as been, it's not concrete as, say, his actual body. However, the fact remains about the shadow is that his wings, much like Prime 1's Meta-Ridley are massive compared to his body. Last I checked, Other Ridley's wings weren't that big.

Finally, saying someone would be awkward smaller just because you think so is the dumbest, meat headed thing I have ever seen. This is coming from a guy who's best friend told him King K. Rool wouldn't be in the game because he was too ugly. I don't think the work of a small team of modders compares to a full scale project undertaken by a team of skilled developers. Even if he did look awkward, it's not like Ridley is a bloody ballerina dancer. Even large, he looks kind of awkward.

Finally, number of games =/= placement. I hope to god that Jiggs is cut to prove that. I have nothing against Jigglypuff, but I really think she should step down. Mewtwo would be a much better fighter, in my opinion. But that's aside the point, that guy should be banned from the internet.

I'm fine with you being against Ridley if you can think of honestly good reasons, but spewing opinionated judgment does not nor will ever qualify as legitimate reason.
But Ridley is a dragonfly. Is he not? :troll:

Could you please provide me with a source? :denzel:

Peter5747

Smash Cadet
Triple Posting Warning Received
Nope, it was just Pit's, this guy's just a *******.
Quit crying and preying to god over a video game character that is a boss character.

I don't imagine starting another argument with this statement would be such a good idea in this thread. Besides, all of us Ridley supporters have heard that statement (and similar things) countless times before. :rolleyes:
you will continue to hear it and see it again until you understand that ridley will not be playable

I wonder if Ridley's flying is a result of multiple jumps or him cribbing Pit's Up B...

I've already got a perfect Ridley flying loop, but does anyone want to verify that each wing beat when he's idling has the same number of frames?
http://www.gfycat.com/SentimentalBronzeIndianrhinoceros
UMMMM NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
The too big argument should be dead, we've been killing it too much.

1up Mushrooms, regeneration, or Philosopher Stones, trying to pick an explanation from my 3 favorite fandoms.
I suggest Dragon Balls or a Max Revive.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Quit crying and preying to god over a video game character that is a boss character.
Please, sir, if you are coming to the Ridley Support thread only to tell us to stop believing in a character without having a valid reason, leave. If you can't think of a good reason why Ridley can't possibly be a character under any dimensional alignment ever...

Here's the door.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
UMMMM NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Watch the triple posting, friend, you're going to fill the thread with Little Mac.

And no what, do you think Ridley has a brand new mechanic allowing actual levitation? Because I think that would be a bit broken.

Peter5747

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
Wish granted? ^
easy to dominate by beeing scared and reporting to the admins ROFLMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Ya are easy to manipulate. Ridley is a cancer in smash bros as a playable character.

Watch the triple posting, friend, you're going to fill the thread with Little Mac.

And no what, do you think Ridley has a brand new mechanic allowing actual levitation? Because I think that would be a bit broken.
Ridley has a mechanic of being what he is a boss character

Morbi

Scavenger
easy to dominate by beeing scared and reporting to the admins ROFLMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Ya are easy to manipulate. Ridley is a cancer in smash bros as a playable character.
Please provide us with a "feasible" argument so that we can refute it. I highly doubt anyone reported you despite the clear justification. We are willing to listen to what you have to say, do you have any logical reason to be hesitant about Ridley's inclusion as a playable character?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I think we won't see Ridley at E3 if he is a playable character. I think on the website we are close to the starting roster of the game. The pyrosphere stage will give us our answer nonetheless. I see three possible outcomes concerning this stage at E3 ;

-is shown with Ridley as boss (dead end 100%)
-is shown with another boss than Ridley (win situation for Ridley at 99%)
-is not shown at E3 (65/35 for Ridley, I can't think about Sakurai not trying to hide something at this point if it happens)

But I guess we won't directly see him at E3.

Top Bottom