• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The issue is, we live in a world where people still think the Prime trilogy are awful games because they aren't Super Metroid. Association or lack of association with specific games will make or break peoples' opinions of games more often than not, and that's just how it goes. The less it is like games people like / more it is like the games they don't like, the worse their initial assumptions are likely to be.

And people will spread it like wildfire until it's like some kind of horrifying STD given to the internet for no reason other than "mindless internet shenanigans". It's what happens, even if it really shouldn't.
"Metroid Prime was met with universal acclaim.[9][62]Electronic Gaming Monthly awarded the game a perfect review score.[56] It won numerous Game of the Year awards and was praised for its detailed graphics, special effects, varied environments,[72] moody soundtrack and sound effects,[19]level design,[73] immersive atmosphere[11] and innovative gameplay centered on exploration in contrast with action games such as Halo,[74] while staying faithful to the Metroid formula.[75]"

"On GameRankings, Metroid Prime is the 11th-highest rated game ever reviewed, with an average score of 96.35% as of April, 2014, making it the second-highest reviewed game of the sixth generation after Soulcalibur for the Sega Dreamcast.[78] The video game countdown show Filter said Metroid Prime had the best graphics of all time.[79]"

"Metroid Prime appeared on several lists of best games; it was raked 23rd in IGN's Top 100,[80] 29th in a 100-game list chosen byGameFAQs users,[81] and 10th in Nintendo Power's "Top 200 Nintendo Games Ever".[82] IGN named Metroid Prime the best GameCube title of all time,[83] while GameSpy ranked it third in a similar list, behind The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker andResident Evil 4.[84]Nintendo Power also ranked Metroid Prime as the sixth-best game of the 2000s.[85]Wired ranked the game 10th in its list of "The 15 Most Influential Games of the Decade" for popularizing "exploration, puzzle-solving, platforming and story" among first-person shooters, saying that the game was "breaking the genre free from the clutches of Doom". Wired's writer continued; "This GameCube title took one massive stride forward for first-person games."[86]Metroid Prime also became popular among players forspeedrunning; specialized communities were formed to share these speedruns.[87]"

And how long have people been asking for another Metroid game in the Prime style? Years. I don't see how a well-made game in that style will be received poorly.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
The stage WAS selectively named Pyrosphere. I'm wondering if those other non-lava background elements are signals to the stage changing locations and hazards? I mean, the Reset Bomb Forest at first seemed to just be that tower-looking area with reset bombs going off in the background.

But lo and behold the stage actually changes MASSIVELY to take place inside the reset bombs.
Then again, we had Planet Zebes, Brinstar, Brinstar Depths, and Norfair as the name of previous stages, so I don't see why the name of an entire level can't refer to a portion of it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
More popular something it's the bigger it's backlash. That's generally how these things work.
It doesn't mean much. No one isn't going to buy Smash 4 because Ridley isn't playable, you all know that. The backlash will be extremely underwhelming, like the Mewtwo being cut backlash.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It doesn't mean much. No one isn't going to buy Smash 4 because Ridley isn't playable, you all know that. The backlash will be extremely underwhelming, like the Mewtwo being cut backlash.
Actually, a couple of people on here have said that Smash 4 doesn't interest them unless Ridley is playable.

Gaxel

Smash Ace
To be fair, talk is cheap. They are not going to make that decision until the game launches.
Well, to be honest. Looking at the current roster and if they go the same direction they've been heading, I wouldn't get the game as most of the newcomers are not very good additions whatsoever (bring the hate).

Mega Man, Little Mac and WFT are the only ones that are nice additions imo. Tom Nook would've been a better AC rep as he's not as of a broad term as 'Villager', Rosalina is being forced everywhere and Greninja does represent the new Pokemon games but, what about the other gens or a grass rep to make it not look like they're picking faves?

Ridley would probably be the addition that makes me go pre-order the game right this instant. But, I'm not getting my hopes up... I'd settle with a Shulk or a Palutena or even a Saki.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The Ridley backlash would NOT be huge.
I lost a lot of hope in Ridley after the Direct, but I was so pleased by everything else that all I had to say was "poor Ridley".

Now if Palutena, K. Rool, and Mewtwo don't make it, we'll have some issues.

Keep in mind that I was and still am a huge Ridley supporter.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
"Metroid Prime was met with universal acclaim.[9][62]Electronic Gaming Monthly awarded the game a perfect review score.[56] It won numerous Game of the Year awards and was praised for its detailed graphics, special effects, varied environments,[72] moody soundtrack and sound effects,[19]level design,[73] immersive atmosphere[11] and innovative gameplay centered on exploration in contrast with action games such as Halo,[74] while staying faithful to the Metroid formula.[75]"

"On GameRankings, Metroid Prime is the 11th-highest rated game ever reviewed, with an average score of 96.35% as of April, 2014, making it the second-highest reviewed game of the sixth generation after Soulcalibur for the Sega Dreamcast.[78] The video game countdown show Filter said Metroid Prime had the best graphics of all time.[79]"

"Metroid Prime appeared on several lists of best games; it was raked 23rd in IGN's Top 100,[80] 29th in a 100-game list chosen byGameFAQs users,[81] and 10th in Nintendo Power's "Top 200 Nintendo Games Ever".[82] IGN named Metroid Prime the best GameCube title of all time,[83] while GameSpy ranked it third in a similar list, behind The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker andResident Evil 4.[84]Nintendo Power also ranked Metroid Prime as the sixth-best game of the 2000s.[85]Wired ranked the game 10th in its list of "The 15 Most Influential Games of the Decade" for popularizing "exploration, puzzle-solving, platforming and story" among first-person shooters, saying that the game was "breaking the genre free from the clutches of Doom". Wired's writer continued; "This GameCube title took one massive stride forward for first-person games."[86]Metroid Prime also became popular among players forspeedrunning; specialized communities were formed to share these speedruns.[87]"

And how long have people been asking for another Metroid game in the Prime style? Years. I don't see how a well-made game in that style will be received poorly.
You do realize copy and paste from the internet doesn't account for every single person on earth, right? ......Right? You DO know that. Don't you? I hope? Please? Probably too snarky. Oops.

The issue is that people will evaluate games in the least informed way possible. Just because some magazine and internet reviews go "Oh what a great game" or "This game SUCKS" doesn't actually mean nobody went, "This game is good because it did X just like Y, my favorite childhood game" or "This game is because it doesn't X like Y, my favorite childhood game did" or whatever. I only use Metroid as an example because of its relevance to this thread.

An almost better relevant comparison would be Smash Bros., in which people will actively determine quality of a game they have, may not have, or definitely have not played based off how similar it is to Melee. Reviews and sales may say one thing, but people definitely say another whenever they feel like it.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
72A571_0D64A8A2D3DE4_002.gif

"..."

Well, many things happened here in a few hours....I may do the drawing of Giga Mac and Ridley later, because now i'm kinda busy...but I will.

majora_787

Smash Hero
This PotD is a hint implying Ridley's final smash is Giga Ridley. He triples in size, can't flinch, and has boxing gloves for no particular reason.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You do realize copy and paste from the internet doesn't account for every single person on earth, right? ......Right? You DO know that. Don't you? I hope? Please? Probably too snarky. Oops.

The issue is that people will evaluate games in the least informed way possible. Just because some magazine and internet reviews go "Oh what a great game" or "This game SUCKS" doesn't actually mean nobody went, "This game is good because it did X just like Y, my favorite childhood game" or "This game is because it doesn't X like Y, my favorite childhood game did" or whatever. I only use Metroid as an example because of its relevance to this thread.

An almost better relevant comparison would be Smash Bros., in which people will actively determine quality of a game they have, may not have, or definitely have not played based off how similar it is to Melee. Reviews and sales may say one thing, but people definitely say another whenever they feel like it.
I bet there's enough people who liked the Prime games, seeing how they're one of the best selling of the Metroid series.

Anywho, back to Ridley. How would you guys feel if he had his manga design?

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I mean the E3 2014 SSB4 character reveal.
Well Obviously they'll start with Hype worthy Veterans, Assuming we don't get Wario on the 30th, I assume that they'll show off Ness, Captain Falcon and perhaps Mewtwo before they go into newcomers in which case Ridley has an even chance of being the First or last as the only other newcomers I see arriving on E3 are Shulk and...ugh.... HIM

majora_787

Smash Hero
I dunno. I'm only betting money on the Ridley situation and 3rd party situation being cleared up after E3. Everything else is a mystery.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well Obviously they'll start with Hype worthy Veterans, Assuming we don't get Wario on the 30th, I assume that they'll show off Ness, Captain Falcon and perhaps Mewtwo before they go into newcomers in which case Ridley has an even chance of being the First or last as the only other newcomers I see arriving on E3 are Shulk and...ugh.... HIM

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I feel like Ridley will show up last during the Digital Event Smash brouhaha because it just seems perfectly fitting to have a black screen to make you think the show is over, then you see a pair of cold, murderous yellow eyes piercing through the darkness before he jumps out of the shadows for his big debut.

On the other hand maybe he'll appear first because otherwise it'll just look way too suspicious seeing Pyrosphere without him in it (which I imagine will feature in everyone's gameplay trailers at some point or another).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
To be fair, talk is cheap. They are not going to make that decision until the game launches.
And they will buy the game because it looks ****ing awesome, even with Rosalina and Miss Fit playable quite possibly over Mewtwo and Ridley

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Anywho, back to Ridley. How would you guys feel if he had his manga design?
Aside from squeeing internally? I'd be cool with it.

I just said it, guys. Anymore off topic and spam posts (this includes one image/gif responses) will be reprimanded from here on out.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I agree, but Ridley not being revealed would raise tensions even more. If he is playable, having his reveal only by playing the game would really get people saying "Ridley was too big for a trailer".

I also agree about Shulk and Pacman, minus Pacman's mecha, but not if he uses for his FS.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Ridley would be the Tour De Force of E3 if he was revealed playable.

I don't care how awesome the next Halo game looks, or if the PS4 has the best graphical functions or whatever. Ridley being in would be the real jam.

Ridley is love, Ridley is life.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Wait, I got it. Samus is on Pyrosphere, and suddenly the camera pans up and the screen becomes completely purple and the freeze frame for Ridley appears with only his ribcage being visible.

"Ridley fits into the battle!"
:troll:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I agree, but Ridley not being revealed would raise tensions even more. If he is playable, having his reveal only by playing the game would really get people saying "Ridley was too big for a trailer".

I also agree about Shulk and Pacman, minus Pacman's mecha, but not if he uses for his FS.
Yeah i only used that photo of Pac-man cause he's got the creepy-as$ "I'm gonna EAT'CHA stare*

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Wait, I got it. Samus is on Pyrosphere, and suddenly the camera pans up and the screen becomes completely purple and the freeze frame for Ridley appears with only his ribcage being visible.

"Ridley fits into the battle!"
:troll:
Wait a minute...

"Fits into battle..."

Wii Fit trainer has specifically made Ridley smaller so he can be playable! It's all in the cards now! Why did we not see this sooner! This is freaking revolutionary!

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Wait a minute...

"Fits into battle..."

Wii Fit trainer has specifically made Ridley smaller so he can be playable! It's all in the cards now! Why did we not see this sooner! This is freaking revolutionary!
That also explains Bowser's and Yoshi's better posture.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I don't really seeing the point of getting SSB4 twice if it doesn't have Ridley. The 3DS version is enough for me.

Characters like K. Rool and Palutena might be interesting, but they are certainly not enough for me to get the same game again, but on a console. I can understand some form of controversy if Palutena is somehow excluded, but not K. Rool. He hasn't been seen in a Nintendo game for a long time now, and I doubt there would be a huge controversy if he were disconfirmed.

The Ridley backlash would NOT be huge.
Pretty sure it would be big enough to warrant discussion for the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
It's hard for me to be optimistic about ridley being playable, for pretty obvious reasons. But I wish everyone good luck and give you all my support on the hopes that Sakurai is just trolling everyone.

Best case scenario I could see is Ridley getting in with his smaller NES design or something like the gif from melee that OblivionWolf posted, and that the shadow we saw was a final smash of some kind, where ridley become his huge more updated version or Meta Ridley version. Maybe the boss would actually be Kraid or another one of the old bosses from the older games.

Either way, good luck guys.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I don't really seeing the point of getting SSB4 twice if it doesn't have Ridley. The 3DS version is enough for me.

Characters like K. Rool and Palutena might be interesting, but they are certainly not enough for me to get the same game again, but on a console.
Yeah, but most of my friends who play Smash do not own 3DS, so the WiiU version is better for parties and gatherings.

I'll be buying both because I'm a no life neck beard anyways.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So let me rephrase what I said earlier. I will admit my argument that he would be heavy doesn't have much weight to it (HA), but I do feel like he most certainly wouldn't constantly be flying. I don't know whether that's what some people are thinking or what...

Basically, having Ridley constantly flying would be troublesome. He would have to be able to walk on the ground to work by the rules of Smash. He has to be able to be KO'd in all directions, meaning he would have to be able to hit the ground, etc... I might not be making a whole lot of sense to people but it makes sense to me.

I may be completely misunderstanding what people think Ridley will be capable of. But from what I've read, it comes across that people think Ridley will always be flying like he does in the video. That wouldn't make sense. What if he gets smashed off the stage, but not KO'd? Can he just fly at the bottom of the stage until somebody actually KO's him? He would have to play by the rules of Smash, meaning he would have to have a ground game. Which would then come full circle, meaning he couldn't always be flying gameplay wise.

Again, this makes sense to me, but it might not make any sense to anybody else because I'm trying to put together my thoughts on the whole concept. There would have to be some sort of way to adjust his height off of the stage.

Let me try to explain this...Say he is always flying. So he starts at the bottom of the stage at the start of the match. Can he adjust the height of his flight on the fly? Because the way that video clip looks, he looks as if he's sticking to one height in the duration of the flight. Meaning, if he HAD jumped off of a platform prior to that clip of him grabbing Pikachu, he would have to land eventually instead of continuing to fly. Simply put, the height that he would be at seems strange for a playable character who would be constantly flying to stay at.

I guess I need somebody to explain to me how the flying would work, because right now to me it seems too crazy to work lol. Hence the confusion that you probably have from reading this post.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I guess I need somebody to explain to me how the flying would work, because right now to me it seems too crazy to work lol. Hence the confusion that you probably have from reading this post.
Some say it's a Peach-style hover, some (read: I) might say it's a mechanic activated with his up special, which allows him to fly, or at least hover, infinitely until him getting hit or exceeding a certain radius submited when he begins the move.

If the latter is true, I'd say he begun flying somewhere between the middle of the stage and the rightmost edge. Then he went all the way to the left, until his shadow was no longer visible on the stage surface. Once Pikachu walked across the stage, Ridley started flying to the left again, making his shadow appear on the stage again. He then kept flying until he exited the radius he imputed when he took flight, and since he had an extra jump left/landed on one of the platforms, he jumped to the right.

Just brainstorming here.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So let me rephrase what I said earlier. I will admit my argument that he would be heavy doesn't have much weight to it (HA), but I do feel like he most certainly wouldn't constantly be flying. I don't know whether that's what some people are thinking or what...

Basically, having Ridley constantly flying would be troublesome. He would have to be able to walk on the ground to work by the rules of Smash. He has to be able to be KO'd in all directions, meaning he would have to be able to hit the ground, etc... I might not be making a whole lot of sense to people but it makes sense to me.

I may be completely misunderstanding what people think Ridley will be capable of. But from what I've read, it comes across that people think Ridley will always be flying like he does in the video. That wouldn't make sense. What if he gets smashed off the stage, but not KO'd? Can he just fly at the bottom of the stage until somebody actually KO's him? He would have to play by the rules of Smash, meaning he would have to have a ground game. Which would then come full circle, meaning he couldn't always be flying gameplay wise.

Again, this makes sense to me, but it might not make any sense to anybody else because I'm trying to put together my thoughts on the whole concept. There would have to be some sort of way to adjust his height off of the stage.

Let me try to explain this...Say he is always flying. So he starts at the bottom of the stage at the start of the match. Can he adjust the height of his flight on the fly? Because the way that video clip looks, he looks as if he's sticking to one height in the duration of the flight. Meaning, if he HAD jumped off of a platform prior to that clip of him grabbing Pikachu, he would have to land eventually instead of continuing to fly. Simply put, the height that he would be at seems strange for a playable character who would be constantly flying to stay at.

While I doubt Ridley will always be flying, a Pit esque recovery move could work.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Some say it's a Peach-style hover, some (read: I) might say it's a mechanic activated with his up special, which allows him to fly, or at least hover, infinitely until him getting hit or exceeding a certain radius submited when he begins the move.

If the latter is true, I'd say he begun flying somewhere between the middle of the stage and the rightmost edge. Then he went all the way to the left, until his shadow was no longer visible on the stage surface. Once Pikachu walked across the stage, Ridley started flying to the left again, making his shadow appear on the stage again. He then kept flying until he exited the radius he imputed when he took flight, and since he had an extra jump left/landed on one of the platforms, he jumped to the right.

Just brainstorming here.
Hm. I guess I see what you're saying, but I simply feel like that wouldn't work. Something about that just seems like they wouldn't do that. That's simply a gut feeling though, so don't take it like I'm stating this objectively.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion

It could work like a slightly longer version of Peach's float.
It could also be just for the direct to throw people off.

Top Bottom