• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Relax, friend, Ness is all but guaranteed.

Not so sure about Lucas, though...
I love watching a joke careen over someone's head. Unless you did get the joke and you're just genuinely sympathizing for him. In that case, carry on.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Just 22 more days now....
22 More days and this thread will be of it's groundhog day loop

Think you could post that with a different avatar? :p

Jokes aside, yeah I can't even begin to fathom what a Ridley thread would be like without the endless turmoil that is "will Ridley happen" arguments.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So,,,Do the assist trophies operate at 30 FPS in the Wii U version too?

Maybe we can analyze that and match that up with Ridley's shadow.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I get the feeling that after the celebration, this thread is going to be kind of awkwardly calm. I mean, we'll finally have Ridley, and there will always be moveset analyzing, but it certainly won't be the same. We should cherish these unknown and hectic moments before they're gone.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I get the feeling that after the celebration, this thread is going to be kind of awkwardly calm. I mean, we'll finally have Ridley, and there will always be moveset analyzing, but it certainly won't be the same. We should cherish these unknown and hectic moments before they're gone.
This is true. I mean I don't know about anyone else here, but I don't really use character threads on Smashboards. So if Ridley gets in it's not like I'll be going from here to there. The shenanigans are the spice of life this thread.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yea your correct.

But then all the chatting here is going to get split into several other ridley forums in his character section, probably going to get the most subsections out of all characters that get confirmed.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Well, here it is, my 1,000th comment. I am now Lord of the Snagrets.

And I really don't have anything for the occasion. BUT I will provide a hint for the short story I'll be working on (hopefully) sometime soon.

You don't get between Ridley and his Rosalina, and live.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Well, here it is, my 1,000th comment. I am now Lord of the Snagrets.

And I really don't have anything for the occasion. BUT I will provide a hint for the short story I'll be working on (hopefully) sometime soon.

You don't get between Ridley and his Rosalina, and live.
I smell sitcom hijinxs!

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Yea your correct.

But then all the chatting here is going to get split into several other ridley forums in his character section, probably going to get the most subsections out of all characters that get confirmed.
Yeah. I mean, how many character sections you know of that have an art thread of all thing? :awesome:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Oh yea just saying something again.

Most likely wrong, but i feel like there are a couple of jump cuts in the Shadow footage.
I put together 106 frames of the 110...just were the shadow starts to appear, but the file is too-big-

Untitled - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg

it is a part of the whole thing

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well i looked at the footage and....

Just as i thought 99% chance theres no jump-cuts what so ever diden't look like the ashes jump cutted what so ever.

D

Deleted member 245254

Just newly joining this discussion so I'm sorry if I'm leap-frogging things already stated in a similar vein.

I have to be honest, that clip came (if I remember correctly) the moment he was discussing other possible bosses in the game, just directly proceeding his info-dump on the mega-man boss.

Naturally, I assumed it was because he was teasting Ridley as a boss character that randomly (or not) shows up. There's precedence for this given Ridley has been a boss in previous games. He's more fitting as a boss. I honestly just can't see how it was extrapolated in to the belief that he'd be a playable character.

Ridley doesn't even really even have a personality that's easy to identify with, despite being 'iconic'. He's just a raging space dragon that shows up in a lot of metroid games. Iconic, sure, but not really identifiable from a personality stand point like the rest of the cast.

I don't know, I just never noticed anything that would lead me to believe he'd be playable, and even the most conclusive form of evidence that is being heavily discussed here seems to point at a completely different answer. It almost seemed nearly 100% inferred that he would be a boss again.

I mean, that could just be me though.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Just newly joining this discussion so I'm sorry if I'm leap-frogging things already stated in a similar vein.

I have to be honest, that clip came (if I remember correctly) the moment he was discussing other possible bosses in the game, just directly proceeding his info-dump on the mega-man boss.

Naturally, I assumed it was because he was teasting Ridley as a boss character that randomly (or not) shows up. There's precedence for this given Ridley has been a boss in previous games. He's more fitting as a boss. I honestly just can't see how it was extrapolated in to the belief that he'd be a playable character.

Ridley doesn't even really even have a personality that's easy to identify with, despite being 'iconic'. He's just a raging space dragon that shows up in a lot of metroid games. Iconic, sure, but not really identifiable from a personality stand point like the rest of the cast.

I don't know, I just never noticed anything that would lead me to believe he'd be playable, and even the most conclusive form of evidence that is being heavily discussed here seems to point at a completely different answer. It almost seemed nearly 100% inferred that he would be a boss again.

I mean, that could just be me though.
Doesn't he have a personality and character in the manga which is canon as well, everyone just thinks of ridley as just this evil, soulless, characterless enemy when really the same could be said for other villains like bowser who do nothing but try to kill you outside of the occasional RPG

EDIT: Found all this on wiki in less than like 2 minutes, maybe you should actually learn about the character before saying stuff

While Ridley is commonly misinterpreted by players as a destructive beast, the official Metroid manga delved a great deal deeper into the persona of the Space Pirate General. Ridley first appeared in chapter one, where his violent disposition and love of death and destruction are made apparent when he orders his entire legion of Space Pirates to annihilate the peaceful inhabitants of K2-L as he looked on. His ability for cruelty is further made concrete in the manga, when he attempts to kill a small girl who tries to befriend him; killing her motherwhile trying to shield the child. He, like many of his Space Pirate brethren, also believes in the superiority of certain races over others, counting himself among the privileged elite species and seeing the "lower" races as something only to exterminate.

Despite these bloodthirsty tendencies, Ridley has shown to be an intelligent and competent battle tactician, orchestrating a great many successful battles, as well as proving a serious threat on his own. Interestingly, his traits as a competent leader seem to even be on a genetic level, as his clone, who was raised without any education (making him feral), was seemingly leading various creatures into attacking Adam Malkovich's squadwhile he handled Samus alone in his adolescent form. However, his quick temper and his arrogant belief that nothing can defeat him often undermines these qualities, leading to a great many defeats for him as well.

Ridley also seems to grudgingly show respect to those that are natural at commanding others, such as whenGray Voice is ordering the Pirate Troops to their battle stations; Ridley, taken aback, smirks at being told by Gray Voice to attend to his job and sarcastically addresses him as "Sir Military Commander" when he flies off.

He has also frequently displayed a very sadistic sense of humor, evidenced by his various comments against Samus upon their first meeting since K2-L. Ridley even goes so far as to taunt her by saying that he may have eaten and incorporated the cells of her mother's corpse into his body and sardonically wonders what part her cells reside in. He then proceeds to bring his foot down on Samus, angrily saying "At least pay your respects!"; referring to her dead mother, showing just how much joy he takes in the suffering of others. This sadism can also be seen in Other M, as the cloned Ridley appears to toy with Samus before being interrupted by Anthony.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
This is the only thing you said that bugs me....

Personality.... :rob::gw::4wiifit::4charizard: I threw Charizard in there cause he is just a "Raging iconic dragon" too....

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I take you haven't played much metroid games i assume?

It's very typical from an outsider who just watched some videos max to think that Ridley is just a rampaging (and extremely cool) dragon without a personality at all, but at least on metroid prime, 90% of the story isn't on cutscenes, but on background lore, yes, Ridley never is exactly happy to find Samus considering the amount of times she have blow him into smithereens and mess his plans (although the feeling is mutual) .

Yup, plans, because Ridley is a sentient creature capable of rational thinking and social interaction, and not only that he is actually a commander of the space pirates, a group of creatures who even have such thing as science teams capable of reverse engineering Samus weapons. And he is capable of organizing and leading raid parties with a good deal of finesse, such as extracting a baby metroid from a federation spaceship.

Maybe not always is sentient, such as when it isn't 100% himself, and instead is its corpse being controlled by a parasite, but you get the point : ).

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
This is the only thing you said that bugs me....

Personality.... :rob::gw::4wiifit::4charizard: I threw Charizard in there cause he is just a "Raging iconic dragon" too....
Same could be said about the rest of the pokemon cause they are all different and let's not forget mario who literally has no personality, the hundreds of different links which all have different personalities if any, yoshis which once again are all different, captain falcon who didn't have a personality till I think GX and the ice climbers

EDIT: Villager too, forgot about him

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Trying to say Mario or any of the Pokemon have no personality is a silly comparison because they simply and obviously do.

Either way, you're still jumping on the less important part of my argument, that the inference just wasn't there in terms of him being playable.

Also, saying he has a "bloodthirsty" personality and enjoys destruction really means he has no more personality than that of Godzilla (close to none). That's not characterization that's just a weak motive for them being an antagonist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Trying to say Mario or any of the Pokemon have no personality is a silly comparison because they simply and obviously do.

Either way, you're still jumping on the less important part of my argument, that the inference just wasn't there in terms of him being playable.

Also, saying he has a "bloodthirsty" personality and enjoys destruction really means he has no more personality than that of Godzilla (close to none). That's not characterization that's just a weak motive for them being an antagonist.
I'll give you mario but pokemon don't have personality outside the anime which isn't canon. I think you're forgetting that he is a villain and is still evil but he is also extremely intelligent and is the commander of the group of space pirates, there's more to ridley aswell but that can all be found in what I posted earlier

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

I...

You haven't watched much Godzilla OR Metroid, haven't you?

sigh

Okay, let's forget the personality argument, as this is a fighting game with little to no plot development.

Ridley is a goddamn Space Dragon that eats people's faces and attacks with his tail and fire breath. Isn't that a good enough reason to ascend him to playable?

D

Deleted member 245254

I'll give you mario but pokemon don't have personality outside the anime which isn't canon. I think you're forgetting that he is a villain and is still evil but he is also extremely intelligent and is the commander of the group of space pirates, there's more to ridley aswell but that can all be found in what I posted earlier
Obscure facts that in-depth research on dedicated Wikis, taking information from all forms of canon such as manga, comics, etc honestly, while relevant, don't really factor in to the average persons knowledge of the multiple verses being represented in Smash.

I never even knew Metroid comics existed. Of course I know about and have played mostly all the games (missed the DS one).

The fact you say it takes research is exactly the reason Ridley is just not really that personable or identifiable. He's just...a 'monster' kinda. Sure, he might be intelligent, and have some history doing intelligent things, but as far as whenever you fight him, which is the whole reason he is iconic, Ridley is identified by being a crazy, bat-**** monster who wants nothing but destruction and death.

That's not interesting or provocative. That's a simple, half-baked antagonist motive. Just because they went in and tagged him in all these interesting stories in comics or manga (or whatever either form of media) just doesn't make him a personable character.

I...

You haven't watched much Godzilla OR Metroid, haven't you?

sigh

Okay, let's forget the personality argument, as this is a fighting game with little to no plot development.

Ridley is a goddamn Space Dragon that eats people's faces and attacks with his tail and fire breath. Isn't that a good enough reason to ascend him to playable?
Godzilla honestly gets more of a pass than Ridley because at least he can be construed as sort of the misunderstood lizard.

Ridley is just evil, because. So is Bowser, but bowser is a villain in a series that's mostly meant to be comedic to young audiences. It's a completely different circumstance.

And I'm sorry, but whether I think he'd be a good addition or not is irrelevant. Are we discussing what we want, or what we think is a possibility?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ridley doesn't talk in the Metroid games because there is generally very little dialogue in the series at all. Also, it's not like he wants to make friendly conversations with his arch-nemesis, given the many times she's defeated him before in the past.

Also, the manga detailing Ridley's characterization is canon. It's referenced several times in Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, and Metroid Other M.

You might as well say that Link is a rampaging swordsman who likes destroying stuff because he never ever talks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Ridley doesn't talk in the Metroid games because there is generally very little dialogue in the series at all. Also, it's not like he wants to make friendly conversations with his arch-nemesis, given the many times she's defeated him before in the past.

Also, the manga detailing Ridley's characterization is canon. It's referenced several times in Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, and Metroid Other M.

You might as well say that Link is a rampaging swordsman who likes destroying stuff because he never ever talks.

I don't remember saying anything about dialogue or lack thereof being the reason for a lack of person-ability.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Obscure facts that in-depth research on dedicated Wikis, taking information from all forms of canon such as manga, comics, etc honestly, while relevant, don't really factor in to the average persons knowledge of the multiple verses being represented in Smash.

I never even knew Metroid comics existed. Of course I know about and have played mostly all the games (missed the DS one).

The fact you say it takes research is exactly the reason Ridley is just not really that personable or identifiable. He's just...a 'monster' kinda. Sure, he might be intelligent, and have some history doing intelligent things, but as far as whenever you fight him, which is the whole reason he is iconic, Ridley is identified by being a crazy, bat-**** monster who wants nothing but destruction and death.

That's not interesting or provocative. That's a simple, half-baked antagonist motive. Just because they went in and tagged him in all these interesting stories in comics or manga (or whatever either form of media) just doesn't make him a personable character.

Godzilla honestly gets more of a pass than Ridley because at least he can be construed as sort of the misunderstood lizard.

Ridley is just evil, because. So is Bowser, but bowser is a villain in a series that's mostly meant to be comedic to young audiences. It's a completely different circumstance.

And I'm sorry, but whether I think he'd be a good addition or not is irrelevant. Are we discussing what we want, or what we think is a possibility?
Ridley is just evil, bowser is just evil, ganondorf is just evil, meta knight is just evil, why is there an exception for ridley who honestly stands out more than bowser or ganondorf because he actually makes a lasting impression in the games and is important to the main characters personality having a big effect on samus in her past. While bowser and ganondorf just show up at the end and try to kill you

Morbi

Scavenger
Ridley is just evil, bowser is just evil, ganondorf is just evil, meta knight is just evil, why is there an exception for ridley who honestly stands out more than bowser or ganondorf because he actually makes a lasting impression in the games and is important to the main characters personality having a big effect on samus in her past. While bowser and ganondorf just show up at the end and try to kill you
Ganondorf makes a lasting impression in Wind Waker and Orcarina of Time. Twilight Princess is the only game where he just shows up at the end without really influencing anything.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

A pure evil villain with no reason or redeeming qualities isn't just limited to the realm of Super Mario. Sauron, The Joker, Michael Myers, Hades are a few examples, and the fact that they're so incredibly evil makes them great villains. But that's neither here nor there.

Like it or not, Rids has been in quite a number of Top Wanted Smash Bros Character polls and wishlists. Sakurai would have to be actively ignoring the fanbase to not notice Ridley's popularity over here. The relevancy argument AND the audience argument at this point have been demolished by Little Mac.

You may have missed the previous pages, but a general lowdown is that there is reasonable doubt to his Boss status. and if an Assist Trophy can be ascended, a boss as (relatively) small as Ridley can too.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

:4kirby: I personally think Kirby is way more of an evil rampaging gluttonous killing machine then Ridley.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
As does Ridley

way, you're still jumping on the less important part of my argument, that the inference just wasn't there in terms of him being playable.
I jumped there because is what I though was the incorrect part of your argument, as for the rest, is somewhat true, since depending on how you analyze it, there isn't 100% conclusive evidence that Ridley is playable... but alas, there isn't conclusive evidence that is just a boss either. So since he is on the most absolute vagueness, is mostly wait up to E3, and see if Pyrosphere is playable and he is there as a boss or not. if he is there as a boss, well, it would be the 97% nail in the coffin... if its not, it would be even more suspicious. but well, is an argument that have been in tons of previous pages...

oh, and ridley isnt just bloodthisty and rampaging, he also knows the importance of tactical retreat :3

and I really don't see why we can't talk why we want Ridley in the Ridley support thread... since as you can see in 670 thread pages, everything else have been discussed pretty extensively.

And if you want a deep deconstruction of why Ridley evilness, is a struggle of dominance trhough an armamentistic race across teh galaxy in which they want to get the upper hand so they can feel secure and also boosts their egos in self absorted ways... isn't philosophically amazing, but hardly anything in nintendo is... with teh exception of maybe majoras mask? XD

D

Deleted member 245254

Well, it isn't really true, what you're saying. Bowser is admittedly the only significant returning character in the Mario verse that actually speaks. He's always causing mischief and formulaic-ally his personality is bent on that of being an 'always thwarted' villain.

Ganondorf has plenty of personality and his roles have been anything but randomly injected in Zelda games...

Ridley is just a big scary boss dragon, who happens to be a big scary boss dragon in many iterations of the Metroid games.

Just because they gave him some interesting bits in writing/comics doesn't make him identifiable to people.

and I really don't see why we can't talk why we want Ridley in the Ridley support thread... since as you can see in 670 thread pages, everything else have been discussed pretty extensively.
I didn't say you couldn't? I just offered my observation on the subject, like everyone else.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Ganondorf makes a lasting impression in Wind Waker and Orcarina of Time. Twilight Princess is the only game where he just shows up at the end without really influencing anything.
In Most zelda games, ganondorf or whatever his counterpart for that game just shows up at the end and even in ocarina of time after seeing him chase after zelda you never see him again until the very end where he's there just to be the final boss

Well, it isn't really true, what you're saying. Bowser is admittedly the only significant returning character in the Mario verse that actually speaks. He's always causing mischief and formulaic-ally his personality is bent on that of being an 'always thwarted' villain.

Ganondorf has plenty of personality and his roles have been anything but randomly injected in Zelda games...

Ridley is just a big scary boss dragon, who happens to be a big scary boss dragon in many iterations of the Metroid games.

Just because they gave him some interesting bits in writing/comics doesn't make him identifiable to people.

I didn't say you couldn't? I just offered my observation on the subject, like everyone else.
Just saying, you sound extremely biased, while bowser is meant for comedy now more than anything he just shows up at the very end for you to kill and with ganondorf a lot of the time he is absent for most of the game only showing up again to be the final boss usually having someone else doing things for him

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
He's referred to as a cunning *******, who has a very high level of intelligence, enough to lead him to build a robotic replica of himself in Zero Mission. He's also merciless and relentless to those who oppose him, and in the manga, he's seen as an incredibly terse jack***, constantly reminding Samus in a snarky way about how he killed her parents and even goes to say that he might even eaten her mother. Also, he's really pissed of at her for kicking his ass multiple times, which shows just how stubborn and vengeful he is.

Sure, his personality isn't exactly the best role model ever, but it's there. There are other monsters in Metroid that fit the "big mean monster" quota, but Ridley far exceeds that because he's canonically a very intelligent being, as well as a gigantic jerk.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
In Most zelda games, ganondorf or whatever his counterpart for that game just shows up at the end and even in ocarina of time after seeing him chase after zelda you never see him again until the very end where he's there just to be the final boss
Maybe you should actually play the games; the character doesn't need to be on-screen to directly influence the plot.

Last edited:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
The fact that anyone has been lead to believe anything at all without Sakurai stating outright what will happen is suspicious. Is Ridley is going to be a boss character, why not just show him?

Sakurai has made it clear that he's aware of the effect his words and actions have on people who follow the game. The way I see it, Sakurai appears to be intentionally leaving hope for Ridley supporters that he'll make it. And why would he do that? Just to act like a schoolyard bully and encourage everyone to point and laugh at the Ridley fans when he's finally revealed as non-playable?

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero

I remember when I was a giant turtle with a turtle army and I spent all of my time being thwarted by middle-aged plumbers. Bowser sure is easy to identify with. I also remember that time I died and I was constantly revived by my depthless wrath and fury toward two particular people. So easy to identify to!

Seriously. Please come in here with something legitimate. It'd be appreciated.

Pro tip. A character's personality doesn't have to be relatable to be likeable. Most people find Ridley's intelligent calculating take on the feral warlord trope pretty enjoyable as a personality, much moreso than the punching bag villain with his wacky failure antics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom