• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Now I know it's been said over and over that because x character isn't in the game doesn't mean people won't buy the game anyway, but that's still ultimately incorrect. There are going to be those that aren't going to be interested because most of what they'll see are random characters like Miis and Wii Fit Trainer. Isn't it a game developer's goal to sell as many copies as possible? And look how Sakurai can accomplish that. By adding popular and well known characters. Sure there are already numerous icons in the roster, but the public is always looking for the new stuff. While Mega Man and Little Mac are a nice start, it'd be foolish to rely on them solely.

In short, the idea that Sakurai isn't going to add any more fan favorites is nonsensical, especially from a business standpoint.
It's probably ludicrous to find a trend at this point, seeing as there's only been 3 games so far...

But on average, there's typically been at least 10 newcomers per game. What are we at now, 6? and not all of the veterans have been announced yet?

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Because you had your expectations way too high, we got characters like ganondorf, bowser, peach, zelda, etc in melee, we got characters like meta knight, dedede, wario, olimar and diddy kong, But are we getting now? WFT? Rosalina? Greninja? I can understand Ridley but characters like mewtwo and KKR doesn't have anything in their way yet
Can you blame people for having their expectations high? They're trusting a guy who claims he loves Nintendo to choose the characters that make people love Nintendo, and instead we get.. Wii Fit Trainer. Yay.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Can you blame people for having their expectations high? They're trusting a guy who claims he loves Nintendo to choose the characters that make people love Nintendo, and instead we get.. Wii Fit Trainer. Yay.
The problem with this is that you guys have your expectations way too low, some are already considering KKR unlikely despite not having anything on his way so far, and yes I do, We are obviously not getting all the characters the fans want but it we are not getting a few of them
So far we have megaman and little mac and mewtwo although he is a veteran, the newcomers aren't as good as the ones we had in brawl or melee, we are obviusly getting more characters that people wanted

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The problem with this is that you guys have your expectations way too low, some are already considering KKR unlikely despite not having anything on his way so far, and yes I do, We are obviously not getting all the characters the fans want but it we are not getting a few of them
So far we have megaman and little mac and mewtwo although he is a veteran, the newcomers aren't as good as the ones we had in brawl or melee, we are obviusly getting more characters that people wanted
Well, we're already close to finding out the release date of the 3DS version this summer, and there's only time for 1 more Direct to reveal the most hype-inducing newcomers. I, like probably most people, expected both games to be released near the end of the year, so that way Sakurai could reveal more newcomers in between then.

E3 will be the last opportunity for anticipated newcomers like Ridley and King K. Rool to be revealed. And considering that we have the Sal leak in mind, they will have a lot of competition.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Well, we're already close to finding out the release date of the 3DS version this summer, and there's only time for 1 more Direct to reveal the most hype-inducing newcomers. I, like probably most people, expected both games to be released near the end of the year, so that way Sakurai could reveal more newcomers in between then.

E3 will be the last opportunity for anticipated newcomers like Ridley and King K. Rool to be revealed. And considering that we have the Sal leak in mind, they will have a lot of competition.
Not really, E3 will probably introduce the characters that people wanted aka Ridley, Mewtwo, Palutena, Pacman and possibly KKR, most of the characters in the Sal leak wouldn't bring hype, Chorus Men? Chrom? Shulk? How can they make any hype? The would fit better as surprises when the 3ds version is out

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Not really, E3 will probably introduce the characters that people wanted aka Ridley, Mewtwo, Palutena, Pacman and possibly KKR, most of the characters in the Sal leak wouldn't bring hype, Chorus Men? Chrom? Shulk? How can they make any hype? The would fit better as surprises when the 3ds version is out
KKR?

Oh, King K. Rool. I get it.

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I suppose it's worth mentioning that I'm taking a bit of time to argue against Ridley's de-confirmation in my old forum, Smogon. It would seem most people there think Ridley is entirely out of the picture, and claim that the Ridley supporters are in denial. Not too surprising, really.
Yeah who cares what they think? If Ridley really is playable, they'd just ban him. :troll:
Well seeing how everyone is being honest in what they think.

Mewtwo - Will Return
Ridley - Boss
K.Rool - Boss or nothing/Trophy
Issac - Assist Trophy

Sal leak is real.

Sigh......
Um....

Mewtwo - I'm 50/50 on it. I don't think it's as likely as people think, but no worse than most other characters
Ridley - I still waver between likely and unlikely. He may be boss only. He may be playable. He may be both.
K.Rool - 0% chance playable, 0% chance Assist Trophy, 90% chance regular trophy, 10% chance boss hazard. =/
Issac - Assist Trophy or just Trophy
Palutena - 100% chance playable. No surprise there.

Don't care to speculate on the leaks. They either happen or they don't. But I don't believe we're getting only what's been leaked. Admittedly the "Pokemon from X and Y" thing is a bit iffy as well. Somebody on NeoGAF genuinely believes the RosalinaX leak is false as he attempted to confront the guy on his information and the guy was very dodgy about it.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Yeah who cares what they think? If Ridley really is playable, they'd just ban him. :troll:

Um....

Mewtwo - I'm 50/50 on it. I don't think it's as likely as people think, but no worse than most other characters
Ridley - I still waver between likely and unlikely. He may be boss only. He may be playable. He may be both.
K.Rool - 0% chance playable, 0% chance Assist Trophy, 90% chance regular trophy, 10% chance boss hazard. =/
Issac - Assist Trophy or just Trophy
Palutena - 100% chance playable. No surprise there.

Don't care to speculate on the leaks. They either happen or they don't. But I don't believe we're getting only what's been leaked. Admittedly the "Pokemon from X and Y" thing is a bit iffy as well. Somebody on NeoGAF genuinely believes the RosalinaX leak is false as he attempted to confront the guy on his information and the guy was very dodgy about it.
Why do you have KKR as 0%?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'Unno about him, but I would think he would overrepresent DKC2. Because not only is that blunderbuss made of awesome, but it gives him the most diverse moveset out of his DKC fights. But how well would that gun mesh with his kingly crown and cape?

Then again, Mega Man appears to overrepresent 2 and 3, so Blunderbuss K. Rool probably wouldn't be a problem for Sakurai.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I can't see King K. Rool as a collectible trophy again this time. The Kremlings are there as a common enemy in Smash Run, so they have to be hyping them for something. K. Rool will either be playable, or a boss character like Yellow Devil and (hopefully not) Ridley.

D

Deleted member

Or a Smash Run event like Dyna Blade in Air Ride.

....and now that I said that, the Krew is going to skin me alive. :troll:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Or the Ridley fans. Ridley could possibly be better suited to that role, considering that he was a carbon copy of her in Brawl.

...I'll take my leave for right now.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Concerning the implication that someone like K. Rool has to be shown at E3 or bust- Keep in mind characters that were heavily requested in Melee such as Mewtwo and Ganondorf were unlockable characters then, it's not implausible that K. Rool and Palutena could be kept secret pre-release. But Ridley will be shown at E3 just because he was alluded to in the Direct. Whether or not he will be confirmed as playable or disconfirmed will be the real question and I already have my opinion set.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I just don't think he's going to be playable. Too long out of the spotlight, and the two newest games seem content on moving on without Kremlings at all. He isn't retro enough either to be considerable in that aspect.

It's cool Sakurai is acknowledging Kremlings proper, but seeing them around doesn't really affect my view of the situation at all.

If it does happen, it'll be amazing for K.Rool fans and I'll be one of the first in line congratulating them. I know how strongly they want this, just like we strongly want Ridley. But since we're being honest, I really don't think it's going to happen much like I didn't think Dark Samus would happen. His getting in would have to be purely for fan appeasement. There are at least quite a few fans at the least.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'Unno about him, but I would think he would overrepresent DKC2. Because not only is that blunderbuss made of awesome, but it gives him the most diverse moveset out of his DKC fights. But how well would that gun mesh with his kingly crown and cape?
Even though King K Rool himself is actually from DKC1...

EDIT: Woops, misread it, my bad...

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Even though King K Rool is actually from DKC1...
Without that blunderbuss, I really can't see him as a playable character. I mean, what did King K. Rool do in the final boss fight of DKC? Run, jump, and throw his crown. Not exactly a good base for a moveset.

Not only is the gun an amazing basis for an original moveset, but I'd be disappointed if he didn't have the gun at all in any of his moves.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I consider KKR a dream come true too abit less than Ridley though.

I think they will both be bosses.

I only support 3 characters anyway.

1.Ridley
2. Mewtwo
3. King K Rool

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Without that blunderbuss, I really can't see him as a playable character. I mean, what did King K. Rool do in the final boss fight of DKC? Run, jump, and throw his crown. Not exactly a good base for a moveset.

Not only is the gun an amazing basis for an original moveset, but I'd be disappointed if he didn't have the gun at all in any of his moves.
Then again, Donkey Kong has moves from DKC1 (Hand Clap and rolling attack) and Diddy has some from DK64 (Rocketbarrel Boost and Peanut Popgun), so I don't see why K. Rool shouldn't get any from DKC2 (Blunderbluss, duh).

EDIT: Also, iirc, he could also summon cannonballs from the ceiling in DKC1.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
certainly k rool could use its blunderbuss there is't that much crowns you can toss, although, I don't remember well, but wasn't King K Rool, Kaptain K Rool, and however was named the evil scientist K Rool different people? like cousins, or brothers who coming to avenge their brethren?

Welshy91

Smash Ace

Look at all this ded2me. You ******** wanted an apocalypse? Keep it up. My jimmies are getting all kinds of rustled and I will make SUCH A SCENE.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
certainly k rool could use its blunderbuss there is't that much crowns you can toss, although, I don't remember well, but wasn't King K Rool, Kaptain K Rool, and however was named the evil scientist K Rool different people? like cousins, or brothers who coming to avenge their brethren?
Nope.

K. Rool REALLY liked cosplaying.

Look at all this ded2me. You *******s wanted an apocalypse? Keep it up. My jimmies are getting all kinds of rustled and I will make SUCH A SCENE.
What'd I say?

Do you hate guns or something?

Dammit double post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
What'd I say?

Do you hate guns or something?

Dammit double post.
I think what you said rubbed me the wrong way because I hate Dr. Who and Pinkie Pie is not my favorite pony. Oh! And you can't overrepresent DKC2. It's better than anything Ridley has ever been in.

dealwithit

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Goldley. Godley. Cooley. Madley. Smalley. Hotley. Supercalifragilisticexpialidociousley.

Oh don't mind me, just thinking up a bunch of random nicknames for different Ridleys.

Shog

Smash Ace
Btw did people made custom palettes for Ridley already? I mean I saw lots of cool artwork here but I think I missed that one

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

You could have easily said the same thing about the Wii Fit Trainer at E3 2013.

Nevertheless, there's no reason to expect every requested fan-favourite to show up at E3 or even that all of the newcomers shown would be big-hitters. There's a good chance we could get a curveball character shown there such as the Chorus Men, regardless of how hype they would actually have been.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
You could have easily said the same thing about the Wii Fit Trainer at E3 2013.

Nevertheless, there's no reason to expect every requested fan-favourite to show up at E3 or even that all of the newcomers shown would be big-hitters. There's a good chance we could get a curveball character shown there such as the Chorus Men, regardless of how hype they would actually have been.
Then again, Mega Man pretty much make up for that.

I don't think every fan favorite will show up, but we'll still probably get the heaviest hitters (Ridley, K Rool, Palutena, Mewtwo and Pac Man come to mind...).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's actually impossible that we don't find out anything about Ridley at E3, come to think of it.

At the very, very least, the demo will not have Pyrosphere, which will raise a real red flag among the fanbase.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's actually impossible that we don't find out anything about Ridley at E3, come to think of it.

At the very, very least, the demo will not have Pyrosphere, which will raise a real red flag among the fanbase.
It is actually possible though, I mean, a red flag doesn't objectively determine his fate. It just reaffirms the notion that he is shrouded in ambiguity. That is nothing new.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I would probably laugh if we don't get any of the anticipated newcomers revealed at E3. That is, the only thing we get out of it is some gameplay footage, a couple of veterans, and a release date.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It is actually possible though, I mean, a red flag doesn't objectively determine his fate. It just reaffirms the notion that he is shrouded in ambiguity. That is nothing new.
Bottom line, it's more than we have now, where we're still tossing around hypotheticals about the Pyrosphere being selectable or not, and how people definitely need to play every inch of it if it's there to see what happens.

Top Bottom