• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Change your avatar to the winged purple terror itself to commemorate the occasion.
Fair enough. Marine pattern is better, though.

Edit: Trying to think of a new Ridley topic. Ideas?

-----
I figured with Godzilla coming out today, everybody would be making comparisons/too big jokes.

"Pic of the Day. Giga Bowser vs Ridley! Just kidding, there's no appeal to monster movies without suitimation. A Ridley costume will be available as an alt to all characters."

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
The ever changing title returns!

IT MUST BE WORK OF THE 666TH PAGE...
It's so close, I can taste it.

Tonight, we dine in hell!

Ridley shall feast on the entrails of the non-believers! ...And we will be there for the leftovers, my brethren.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
*Looks at new thread title*

Boo. I'm always going to stick with RidleyxPalutena. But oh well, here's to hoping we can keep a title like this before E3.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
As long as all the females got Ridley-based alts, I would actually be 100% fine with Ridley not being in. XD

majora_787

Smash Hero
Gotta love how Ridley is the only video game character to ever be created in all of time who isn't REALLY a video game character and therefore cannot be rescaled in any way shape or form.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

I drew this on Miiverse, but the Admins shot it down...I wonder why:p

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, to pass the time I went of to play some Project and try to beat Boss Battles on intense mode with Mewtwo.

I kind of forgot how much of a prick Meta Ridley was. It's all reflex, that thing. Vanilla Ridley, on the other hand, was cakewalk.

What exactly was the image in question?

Actually, I think I have a somewhat vague idea of what it could've been... :awesome:

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Wait until the next metroid game brings Alpha Ridley... stuff will get theological
In a way Other M already did that...

inb4it'snotcanon

In popular culture 666 is more relevant to heavy metal then religion.
That's even worse, or are you suggesting a heavy metal Ridley be done?

Just a reminder that moderators are still here. And will be on page 666 as well.
A little late to saying this now, but wb. Was wondering when you'd be back here again. I think this thread got too used to not being properly moderated again for the most part when you weren't present for sixty something pages earlier.

And yeah, Godzilla... Easy connection to make to Ridley there, and like I said in the Broom, movie of the ****ing year.

Apparently, Too Big is a thing now...

Jooooooooy...

EDIT: I did find this though:

Uhm... I got nothing on that pic (lolz), but figured that knowknowmeme thing with Ridley was always well.. known.

Would explain why it's not properly showing up here then, at least for me.

With how I feel asleep some earlier than usual due to being under the weather, I thought for sure the 666th page would've already come and gone here, but I guess I'll prolly miss it when I sleep again unless I get lucky. Let that page be done justice as opposed to simply spamming.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
In popular culture 666 is more relevant to heavy metal then religion.
That makes about as much sense as "Ridley is too big". Plus everyone knows that 666 is only relevant to people who think it's edgy as **** to put it in their username. @BKupa666 gets kredit for not being XXXbkupademonssj4assassin420blazeitvaginapounder666.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
You guys probaly already know but E3 just got more CraZy/HypE WortHy.

Potentially Nintendo Power part2 RealTalk
Someone there needs to ask him why he (probaly) Didnt Release da Radley as playable.

Screenshot_2014-05-17-12-11-13.png

Please Someone thats going or knows someone thats going needs to ask.

Or will he just be doing Q&A with the tourney people?
Gardd...we dont even know the tourney PeePz yet....the MESSAGE MUST BE SPREAD!
IT IS OUR DUTY SPACE PIRATES FOR OUR LEADER.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sakurai's response: "I think that would probably be impossible. [laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that have been all right? [laughs]"

Oh, wait...

Last edited by a moderator:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So we are almost at page 666 this is going to be cool

Someone there needs to ask him why he (probaly) Didnt Release da Radley as playable.

View attachment 14260

Again from the information i gather from my 2 post its looking really good for Ridley.

(Might repost those so we don't loose them, accually might repost them on 666 page)

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Am looking up pictures of Other M Ridley and yeah his wings aren't really all that huge. I expect him to stand just like Donkey Kong.

I wonder how many people would actually complain about a Ridley who looks like this. This is about how big I actually think he is going off our shadow research.

JinSiege

Smash Rookie
Just thought I'd point out another little observation going in Ridley's favor:

If you really put Ridley into the "stage boss" type of context, and then knowing that he, Samus, and the stage are based off of the Other M style, it's easy to notice that the way the shadow acts is nothing like the way Ridley acts in his Other M boss fight (or even his ssbb boss fight for that matter). For example, in Metroid: Other M, he doesn't even use grab attacks so often; and when he does, he doesn't grab Samus the same way that the shadow grabs Pikachu. I would think that if this was truly trying to represent a "cool" Ridley boss type "hazard" in the Other M style, then Sakurai would of had Ridley programmed to be much faster, use swooping attacks, quick overhead tail strikes, etc. Like in his Other M battle (go watch the battle with Ridley in Other M to see what I'm talking about). What we seemingly have seen in Smash 4 so far however, is a more 'player-paced' type of character (less intense) with a more traditional (less cinematic) grab and movement style (not to mention that the shadow does not seem pre-scripted and smooth like a boss at all). Granted we haven't seen so much yet with the short clip, but a surprising amount of info can still be deduced by simply using common sense and examples from the past like the brawl boss fight (along with your own gamer instinct).

There's a reason this thread has come so far. I understand the doubt some people have with Ridley, but more likely than not, Sakurai has heard the outcry for Ridley to be playable. From a business point of view, Ridley is an IMMENSELY popular character in the western markets. So much so, that the Japanese fan base is well aware of it. The western market is a much bigger, much more profitable market than the Japanese market, and as such it only makes sense to ensure that your most profitable market is pleased with the product; especially in the Wii U's situation. I would say that the big three 'market pleasers' are Mewtwo, K Rool, and Ridley. There's absolutely no logical reason why even all 3 of these characters should not be included. Hell, K Rool is topping charts on Japan lists as well, so what I would suggest is to try and not get so hung up on the Ridley detracting haters, the what ifs, and the over analyzing, and just use simple observation and common sense. It's not so hard to see that Sakurai gets his kicks from trolling and pleasing the audience. Take this comment for what you will, but I think Ridley has more than a fair shot at making the roster. Keep your chin up everyone.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I'm pretty sure he's bigger than that, also based on the shadow. Using the red-white panels on the floor, it's easy to gauge Ridley's arm span between his hands. The distance is precisely between each red-white panel. You can look at the panels around the column in the above pic.
Well Ridley in the direct is hovering. I think he will look close to the picture when actually on the ground and all hunched.

Donkey Kong looks much bigger in the air with his arms extended so high and leg more downward.

I really don't think Ridley's wings are going much higher then Donkey Kongs arms. xD The half flapping is so blatant.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Just thought I'd point out another little observation going in Ridley's favor:

If you really put Ridley into the "stage boss" type of context, and then knowing that he, Samus, and the stage are based off of the Other M style, it's easy to notice that the way the shadow acts is nothing like the way Ridley acts in his Other M boss fight (or even his ssbb boss fight for that matter). For example, in Metroid: Other M, he doesn't even use grab attacks so often; and when he does, he doesn't grab Samus the same way that the shadow grabs Pikachu. I would think that if this was truly trying to represent a "cool" Ridley boss type "hazard" in the Other M style, then Sakurai would of had Ridley programmed to be much faster, use swooping attacks, quick overhead tail strikes, etc. Like in his Other M battle (go watch the battle with Ridley in Other M to see what I'm talking about). What we seemingly have seen in Smash 4 so far however, is a more 'player-paced' type of character (less intense) with a more traditional (less cinematic) grab and movement style (not to mention that the shadow does not seem pre-scripted and smooth like a boss at all). Granted we haven't seen so much yet with the short clip, but a surprising amount of info can still be deduced by simply using common sense and examples from the past like the brawl boss fight (along with your own gamer instinct).

There's a reason this thread has come so far. I understand the doubt some people have with Ridley, but more likely than not, Sakurai has heard the outcry for Ridley to be playable. From a business point of view, Ridley is an IMMENSELY popular character in the western markets. So much so, that the Japanese fan base is well aware of it. The western market is a much bigger, much more profitable market than the Japanese market, and as such it only makes sense to ensure that your most profitable market is pleased with the product; especially in the Wii U's situation. I would say that the big three 'market pleasers' are Mewtwo, K Rool, and Ridley. There's absolutely no logical reason why even all 3 of these characters should not be included. Hell, K Rool is topping charts on Japan lists as well, so what I would suggest is to try and not get so hung up on the Ridley detracting haters, the what ifs, and the over analyzing, and just use simple observation and common sense. It's not so hard to see that Sakurai gets his kicks from trolling and pleasing the audience. Take this comment for what you will, but I think Ridley has more than a fair shot at making the roster. Keep your chin up everyone.
Well said. You are wise beyond your postcount.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Very Soon.
That doesn't exactly answer my question, though. How many posts must be made until we reach that dreaded number? Who's going to be the one to start the apocalypse?

Cpt.

Smash Lord

View attachment 14260

The SSB one will say Ridley is playable

The new game will star Reggie and his best friend Ridley.

Top Bottom