• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
The difference between Yellow Devil and Ridley is this: We knew Yellow Devil was not going to be playable, and not many people WANTED him to be. And most people thought he was a boss, as well. Some thought he might have been an assist trophy, but.

With Ridley, he has not been acknowledged in any particular way at all. We haven't even SEEN or HEARD him other than the tip of his tail. This "reveal" was ridiculously unclear, considering the information that can be found in the context of Ridley's behavior, general size, and his status as one of the most requested playable characters there are. And really, Sakurai never "teased" boss characters like this in the past in the Subspace Emissary, where revealing bosses would have actually had some impact.

So what is going on here? Nobody even knows anymore, which is 200% of the problem.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I drew this up when the Ridley X Rosalina shipping resurged, not sure why I put this off until now.

more pokey comics.png

Porky/Ness is quite possibly the only (friend)ship that I take at least semi-seriously.

Morbi

Scavenger
The difference between Yellow Devil and Ridley is this: We knew Yellow Devil was not going to be playable, and not many people WANTED him to be. And most people thought he was a boss, as well. Some thought he might have been an assist trophy, but.

With Ridley, he has not been acknowledged in any particular way at all. We haven't even SEEN or HEARD him other than the tip of his tail. This "reveal" was ridiculously unclear, considering the information that can be found in the context of Ridley's behavior, general size, and his status as one of the most requested playable characters there are. And really, Sakurai never "teased" boss characters like this in the past in the Subspace Emissary, where revealing bosses would have actually had some impact.

So what is going on here? Nobody even knows anymore, which is 200% of the problem.
People do comprehend "what is going on," Sakurai has ambiguously alluded to Ridley a couple of times. There are those that believe the more obvious reference in regards to his stage-hazard status is plausible. There are also those that believe that the reference wasn't feasible as it wasn't a direct allusion. It really is quite simple, it has been like this since the Pyrosphere reveal where he did the exact same thing.

Everyone makes it seem like it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard to follow. It is very, very simple. I would presume you, and everybody else, are over-thinking it. We have two pieces of evidence in total, both could mean playable Ridley or stage-hazard Ridley. After that, people apply circumstantial evidence to support their perspective. In my case, I believe it is counter-intuitive that he would keep Ridley's fate vague while actually "revealing" his fate. That isn't logical, if something isn't rational, I am going to believe the perspective that has more evidence. In this case, it is playable Ridley.

It is no more difficult to speculate on than any other character. Quite the contrary, the antithetical is true. It is much easier.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeh, they're just rambling about how he's too big and isn't allowed to be bigger than Bowser and can't be smaller than twice as tall as Samus because being big is somehow 100% of Ridley's character now (except it isn't). This is reminding me of why I stopped watching the Japan Time podcast.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeh, they're just rambling about how he's too big and isn't allowed to be bigger than Bowser and can't be smaller than twice as tall as Samus because being big is somehow 100% of Ridley's character now (except it isn't). This is reminding me of why I stopped watching the Japan Time podcast.
They didn't even touch on the only pertinent subject in relation to Ridley's chances after the Direct, the notion that it wasn't a deconfirmation, it was an allusion. So the rest of the argument is fairly redundant as they do not even establish why Ridley is possible. Just that "Sakurai is hiding something." Whatever that means. That defeats the entire purpose of having the discussion if everyone believes that it was an objective deconfirmation.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Yeah I was just about to say they don't sound like they have a clue of what there even talking about....

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Because it seems posting walls of text is popular right now, let me try one http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=miles+edgeworth+music+pursuit+extended

Sakurai: Here is the last character for smash bros wii u/3ds, it is someone very requested, here we have the mii

I hope you like it, this the total roster of smash bros 4, with 51 characters
You are forgetting about ridley

Don't you remember? "An enemy from Samus past may appear at any second", he is a stage hazard

Nice try Mr. Sakurai but characters appears at any second in stages, also you talked the same way about Palutena and she is basically confirmed to be playable

But Ridley is too big, he isn't fit to be playable

Have you forgotten mr.Sakurai?

Smash Characters doesn't always have their original size in smash bros, you said that yourself
But in the direct I disconfirmed Ridley, didn't I?
Nice try again Mr Sakurai but you are forgetting two important things
1) You always deconfirm characters without any kind of tease, this is one of your rules, Remember? and 2) Why is Ridley too small compared to his previous appearances?
What are you trying to say?
Accept it, Mr Sakurai
Ridley is playable, isn't it?
But why would I do that?

But why wouldn't you is a better question, you are trying to make as much hype as possible for the game, by making people think one of the most requested characters is deconfirmed to suddenly confirm him is a way to create a lot of hype
I'm trying to create as much hype as possible to the boss hazards, it is an exciting idea

Not even you believe that Sakurai, nobody is excited for an overpowered hazard, just accept it already
RIDLEY IS PLAYABLE
OH NO, you gave me a good show Edgy
I'm still waiting for you to accept it
SUBSTITUTE!!
What?! How did he do that? He is not even a pokemon
Anyway, as you can see ladies and gentlemen, Ridley is almost confirmed to be playable
That's it for today folks

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Because it seems posting walls of text is popular right now, let me try one http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=miles edgeworth music pursuit extended

Sakurai: Here is the last character for smash bros wii u/3ds, it is someone very requested, here we have the mii

I hope you like it, this the total roster of smash bros 4, with 51 characters
You are forgetting about ridley

Don't you remember? "An enemy from Samus past may appear at any second", he is a stage hazard

Nice try Mr. Sakurai but characters appears at any second in stages, also you talked the same way about Palutena and she is basically confirmed to be playable

But Ridley is too big, he isn't fit to be playable

Have you forgotten mr.Sakurai?

Smash Characters doesn't always have their original size in smash bros, you said that yourself
But in the direct I disconfirmed Ridley, didn't I?
Nice try again Mr Sakurai but you are forgetting two important things
1) You always deconfirm characters without any kind of tease, this is one of your rules, Remember? and 2) Why is Ridley too small compared to his previous appearances?
What are you trying to say?
Accept it, Mr Sakurai
Ridley is playable, isn't it?
But why would I do that?

But why wouldn't you is a better question, you are trying to make as much hype as possible for the game, by making people think one of the most requested characters is deconfirmed to suddenly confirm him is a way to create a lot of hype
I'm trying to create as much hype as possible to the boss hazards, it is an exciting idea

Not even you believe that Sakurai, nobody is excited for an overpowered hazard, just accept it already
RIDLEY IS PLAYABLE
OH NO, you gave me a good show Edgy
I'm still waiting for you to accept it
SUBSTITUTE!!
What?! How did he do that? He is not even a pokemon
Anyway, as you can see ladies and gentlemen, Ridley is almost confirmed to be playable
That's it for today folks
I don't even know which side you are on; it wasn't very apparent. I mean, I am leaning on pro-Ridley, but it was a really weird stylistic choice to make Sakurai incompetent and opposing Ridley as he would clearly be an advocate of Ridley (in the event of his inclusion).

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm kind of burnt out on listening to ignorant YouTubers monologuing in monotone about a character who, at this point, doesn't need to be further immortalized as a meme.

I'll assume those podcasters just blathered at length expressing opinions as facts about "feasibility" or some s***.

Last edited:

PokéMurio

Smash Apprentice
That Smash cast video rea(d)lly was a pain to listen. Those guys we're just like autistic people; nobody gave a bit of their feelings, just mumbling over and over without bringing up any good points or evidences.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If Ridley is made playable in a large-scale mod like Project M and becomes a very popular character there, would that deafen the cries of Too Bigots everywhere? Or would it just prove their point in saying that "If Ridley's such a pivotal character to his franchise, then why is he only playable in a mod lol"?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Please do these guys don't even know the basics and there Smashboarders.....They think its Ridley's wing in the direct and not the tail. :rolleyes:
There are still people on here who think that, actually.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If Ridley is made playable in a large-scale mod like Project M and becomes a very popular character there, would that deafen the cries of Too Bigots everywhere? Or would it just prove their point in saying that "If Ridley's such a pivotal character to his franchise, then why is he only playable in a mod lol"?
Im not sure what your saying but they never showed project m ridley

Besides by how likely for some of us now that might get canceled for project m do to a playable ridley in ssb4

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Project M Ridley isn't even a guarantee yet because its makers are instead working on such fan favorites as Shadow and Lyn.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Im not sure what your saying but they never showed project m ridley

Besides by how likely for some of us now that might get canceled for project m do to a playable ridley in ssb4
If Ridley makes it in Project M and becomes a character that's used by a lot of people, then that would show that he is a workable fighter in the series and not "boss material".

It would also make Sakurai and Nintendo look like a bunch of idiots for not listening to Smash and Metroid fans and taking their requests into consideration.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I suppose it depends on the quality of the model, animations, and game-play.

If Ridley makes in Project M and becomes a character that's used by a lot of people, then that would show that he is a workable fighter in the series and not "boss material".

It would also make Sakurai and Nintendo look like a bunch of idiots for not listening to Smash and Metroid fans and taking their requests into consideration.
Only if they did it correctly. Otherwise, it would have an adverse effect.

Soupenomics

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-6913-7316
The Smash Cast recently did a discussion on Ridley, I'm in it. I guess I'll just leave it here;
Edit: Never mind, somebody has already posted it here.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I suppose it depends on the quality of the model, animations, and game-play.

Only if they did it correctly. Otherwise, it would have an adverse effect.
Even if done well, I'm sure there will be plenty of Ridley detractors who will say that Ridley looks unnatural as a playable character, and use that as "proof" that Ridley shouldn't/can't actually be playable in Smash.

The same thing would probably happen if Ridley is playable in Smash 4, actually.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
We really don't.
Told you we should've just played project M, but we had to cast :rolleyes:
Project M Ridley isn't even a guarantee yet because its makers are instead working on such fan favorites as Shadow and Lyn.
The PMBR is staying away from characters they think may appear in smash 4. They said before that they won't do characters that are newcomers in the next game as to not compete with sm4sh.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Good news everyone.
Shokio said he was trolling with his whole "Rdley is big as sh*t" thing.
He said he doesn't care if they put Ridley in and he's too big or too small, he just doesn't care for him that much.

I guess he's not as stupid as we once thought.

But now who is the REAL King of the Toobigots?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Good news everyone.
He said he doesn't care if they put Ridley in and hes too big or too small, he just doesn't care for him that much.
And by doing so brainwashed masses into being completely illogical and flat out nasty individuals.

Although we already knew about his trolling awhile back.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That's old news man, and yet people still give Shokio crap over it.

@ Muster: Make sense. Guess we'll have to wait till Ridley gets the final nail in the coffin then before he's more considered for P:M.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Good news everyone.
He said he doesn't care if they put Ridley in and he's too big or too small, he just doesn't care for him that much.

Who cares what he thinks.

But I will say you don't talk a bunch of **** then say "Oh I was just messing with you guys!" Guy is still a ****head either way.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Good news everyone.

It's called a safety net. Seems at some point he started to have doubts about Ridley being excluded and is now trying to excuse himself from his previous statements. It's all too easy to just go "Oh I didn't mean it I was trolling ya lololol".

He could be serious, sure. He could have also came clean long before the Direct and the dialog it produced.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Good news everyone.

I always figured he was just doing it for attention, considering the old phrase "There's no such thing as bad publicity". Smash speculation is a touchy subject for a lot of people.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hey Ridley Guys, I've got anoveralalysis challenge for you. In the background of the Pyrosphere there's usually floating embers. On the clip with Pikachu (you know the one), look to see if they jump around or abruptly stop which would indicate post editing. It's around the 7 and a half mark.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Hey Ridley Guys, I've got anoveralalysis challenge for you. In the background of the Pyrosphere there's usually floating embers. On the clip with Pikachu (you know the one), look to see if they jump around or abruptly stop which would indicate post editing. It's around the 7 and a half mark.
I tried by slowing down the video. Personally, there doesn't seem to be editing.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The PMBR is staying away from characters they think may appear in smash 4. They said before that they won't do characters that are newcomers in the next game as to not compete with sm4sh.
Fair enough, but if he isn't in SSB4, which in my personal opinion is likely as of now, they had better not leave him out just because they've done work on characters who a fraction as many people care about seeing playable.

Good news everyone.

Who?

Also, if hypothetically, I were a colossal attention-seeking a****t who made rant after rant about why Ridley will never, ever happen, then became a running gag among everyone above the age of ten in the Smash fanbase for the sheer degree of my attention-seeking a****ttery, I'd pretend I never really meant it, either. Food for thought.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Good news everyone.
Dat safety net. How did I see this coming? Pretty easily.

Well, if even Shokio is having doubts about Ridley's status to the point where he is putting up a net, then we're getting somewhere.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I don't buy the whole "I was just kidding" act.

I'd go back to his videos to point out why I think he was genuine, but:

A. I don't want to bump up his view count any more than it already is.
B. Everything about those videos is crazy insulting, to both intellegence and Ridley fans. I'd rather not drive up my blood pressure today.

Besides, saying "I was only kidding" doesn't make you any less of a creep for saying what you said.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I did happen by his "just kidding" video at some point. I wanted to punch him in the face so badly. "I poked fun at Ridley fans because they're so sensitive."

Translation = "I love to drill salt into people's wounds that have been festering for over a decade."

A-hole...

majora_787

Smash Hero
I did happen by his "just kidding" video at some point. I wanted to punch him in the face so badly. "I poked fun at Ridley fans because they're so sensitive."

Translation = "I love to drill salt into people's wounds that have been festering for over a decade."

A-hole...
Half tempted to be That Guy just to drill salt in HIS wounds at any opportunity I get. The "I like poking fun at people because they're so sensitive" excuse in my opinion means if you ever openly have any concerns or problems, you have given me and others permission to actively mock and antagonize you and if you have any response to it at all you're 'just being sensitive'.

If this is really his version of being sincere in taking back asshole-ish behavior, he's REALLY bad at it.

Top Bottom