• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Half tempted to be That Guy just to drill salt in HIS wounds at any opportunity I get. The "I like poking fun at people because they're so sensitive" excuse in my opinion means if you ever openly have any concerns or problems, you have given me and others permission to actively mock and antagonize you and if you have any response to it at all you're 'just being sensitive'.

If this is really his version of being sincere in taking back *******-ish behavior, he's REALLY bad at it.
It's really this kind of behavior that I find so intolerable about Ridley detractors. Either they go around insulting the intelligence of supporters (using very improper and offensive English, mind you), or say that we're just being sensitive, and that it's just fun to toy with us. Either way, that sort of behavior is just outright disgusting and completely unjustified. I swear, if they act anything like that in their daily lives...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

I want more discussion on that Facebook post.

What's the point of it?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
More taunting salt-rubbing from stupid page admins who think the Ridley meme is the most hilarious thing on the face of the planet?
That seems kinda mean doesn't it?

I mean, if that info gets out, it could seriously hurt them.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I don't Facebook, so I don't see what's so offensive about this post.

I mean, unless it somehow disconfirms Rids...

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
oh yeah, i remember seeing that but i didnt think much of it. I mean we might also possibly have the orne from kid icarus as one as well. Not saying that Ridley isn't one as well, but I still won't rule out that he could be more. I mean really all this alluding to without just showing it is a pain in the ass. If he's really nothing more why are to twisting the knife?

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
You know, I'd be fine with Ridley being disconfirmed if the detractors weren't as big of jerks about it. No one went to Dillon's thread to go mock people(that I know of), and no one made fun of, say, Waluigi or Ashley supporters. Why exactly is Ridley any different? I want Ridley confirmed for the only purpose(aside from being an awesome character) is just to see the detractors proven wrong. The dream is alive...for now.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Bottom line is, when Ridley appears on the playing (or rather, playable) field, then we've got every right to rub the fact hard into every doubters' face.

What goes around comes around.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Oh, that wasn't something made by Sakurai? For a while, I thought it was.

I still don't get why Ridley detractors are some of the most obnoxious jerks on this planet.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
You know, I'd be fine with Ridley being disconfirmed if the detractors weren't as big of jerks about it. No one went to Dillon's thread to go mock people(that I know of), and no one made fun of, say, Waluigi or Ashley supporters. Why exactly is Ridley any different? I want Ridley confirmed for the only purpose(aside from being an awesome character) is just to see the detractors proven wrong. The dream is alive...for now.
Waluigi supporters definitely got some crap after he was confirmed to be an AT. Sakurai's comment didn't help.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh, that wasn't something made by Sakurai? For a while, I thought it was.

I still don't get why Ridley detractors are some of the most obnoxious jerks on this planet.
It's a page made by Nintendo if there was doubt.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I just finished Shokio's video explaining that his entire rotting of a younger watching demographic was a trolling attempt and I must say...if he did it to get a reaction from us...what the hell was the point if a majority just took him for a joke? Along with such an avid line of videos showing an almost die-hard hate for the subject...God, the art of trolling has deteriorated far more than I thought.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's hard to say that there's a definite reason for their behavior. I think it's kind of a combination of things that makes the Ridley situation unique. Part of it could come from the fact that Ridley has always appeared in the role of a (large) boss, both in Metroid and in Smash, and a lot of people simply can't imagine him being anything else. Part of it could come from a lack of knowledge of the Metroid series and misunderstandings about Ridley's character (like his often forgotten intelligence) and his importance to Metroid (having killed Samus' parents). And part of it could come from the fact that there are certain vocal Ridley detractors who "expose" Ridley supporters for being idiots, and directly encourage others to treat Ridley supporters as such.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
New topic!

What do you think of Ridley's chin-spike?

I don't particularly care for it. I don't really hate it either.

I mean, if Ridley's Smash Bros. design puts it in or removes it, I'm not exactly going to talk at lengths about how Ridley was "ruined forever" or something. It's not exactly an essential design choice, like his horns or wings are.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Oh. Well, sorry for them, but I doubt they get as much crap as Ridley on a regular basis.

Especially nearly 15 years worth.
They don't. No one does.

I'm a pretty casual Ridley supporter, but I have absolutely no clue as to why Ridley detractors are so nasty and mean-spirited. What's so wrong with supporting someone you want in? After Greninja, a bunch of similarly obnoxious Mewtwo detractors crawled out of the woodwork as well.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
New topic!

I mean, if Ridley's Smash Bros. design puts it in or removes it, I'm not exactly going to talk at lengths about how Ridley was "ruined forever" or something. It's not exactly an essential design choice, like his horns or wings are.
Well...the ZM sprites never showed that chin spike, the sprite and the artworks from SM did, Meta Ridley did not have it, nor Omega Ridley, Brawl Ridley has it and they aded it to Meta....It is just a little detail he has...Even, I do not like when i forget to put it in when I draw him...

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I swear to god, if Ridley is an unlockable character in the game (which is the likelier scenario), the moment I trigger the event to unlock him and witness his silhouette I'll yell "ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER ******".

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
They don't. No one does.

I'm a pretty casual Ridley supporter, but I have absolutely no clue as to why Ridley detractors are so nasty and mean-spirited. What's so wrong with supporting someone you want in? After Greninja, a bunch of similarly obnoxious Mewtwo detractors crawled out of the woodwork as well.
The people against Mewtwo are almost like a majority of those that hate Ridley...it's the thought that you think you're cool and/or above the norm to hate something almost everybody loves. I'd call it the Hipster effect, but ThatGuyWithTheGlasses took it first. :p

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I guess because Ridley fans are some of the louder bunch of character supporters (not pre-Brawl Geno loud or anything, but still loud), people (whether they're detractors or indifferent about Ridley) just somehow feel more justified about rubbing it in to them than other fans, in some dumb/selfish hope or attempt to forever silence them. If Ridley's not playable and the fans have to deal with another round of bullcrap on how he can't work for the next few years again then so be it, but whatever happens don't let the toobigots or Sakurai white knights walk all over you...

Also what False Sense said too.

New topic!

The chin spike's most evident in like the manga which is prolly the only thing I've really paid attention to it in, as it kinda in a weird way helps give him an intelligent demeanor, whether he's speaking or not. I mean just look how it stands out during his first appearance!

In something like Smash though I would probably be indifferent on whether they included the chin spike, regardless of his role.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
New topic!

Well, i rarely notice it and it is kinda unnoticable. At least they didn`t included this spike when making Roidley`s model for Other M.
I swear to god, if Ridley is an unlockable character in the game (which is the likelier scenario), the moment I trigger the event to unlock him and witness his silhouette I'll yell "ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER ****ER".
And i will just die from shock, pure awesomeness and excitement.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So a new terrifying thought popped into my head. What if Ridley is "playable" but not really.

Think about this, in the Pyrosphere you can call Ridley on to the field, he'd pick the player up and you can pilot him around. That would be Sakurai's way of making him "playable" but it would be a really half-assed and disappointing way.

He'd be like "I hope you look forward to controlling Ridley on the Pyrosphere!" as if he satisfied our need for a playable Ridley.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So a new terrifying thought popped into my head. What if Ridley is "playable" but not really.

Think about this, in the Pyrosphere you can call Ridley on to the field, he'd pick the player up and you can pilot him around. That would be Sakurai's way of making him "playable" but it would be a really half-***** and disappointing way.

He'd be like "I hope you look forward to controlling Ridley on the Pyrosphere!" as if he satisfied our need for a playable Ridley.
...i doubt it will happen. It would better work with Assist Trophies, Pokemons and items.

JinSiege

Smash Rookie
Well, if you think about it, the case for Ridley's playability is pretty strong when you look at certain facts.

For one, there's no reason to resize Ridley down to less than half of his brawl size (other than to balance him for playability); especially if Sakurai wants everyone to believe that Ridley is going to reprise a similar role to the last game (boss status). Also, the gimpy frame skipping shadow couldn't possibly reflect a pre-scripted boss animation. Just these things are enough to just about see through Sakurai's ruse, but then you also have the fact that he is STILL hiding Ridley from even so much as a screen shot or further mention after he talked so much about Yellow Devil and even Dark Emperor. Hell, compared to this time, Sakurai mentioned Ridley WAAAY more during the days leading up to brawl with the music and pictures/sse hype etc. It doesn't make sense to reduce that attention to Ridley when his popularity has only grown since brawl. I'll even bet he is counting on the fact that people are already figuring it out just so he can bring down the house at E3. It honestly would be a show-stealer.

I think people should put their worries aside and take a long hard look at the facts. I understand that it's a safe move to keep your expectations relatively low in the unlikely event that Sakurai says Ridley is indeed a boss/hazard, but for me personally, for him to disconfirm Ridley after all this time, and after the way (or lack thereof) that he presented Ridley, it would be just as shocking for me to hear that as it would be if Sakurai suddenly revealed Yellow Devil to be playable.

Bottom line is that I think us fans should rest assured based on the facts given and figured out so far. The reason there is so much speculation on this is because Sakurai purposely left a lot of room to speculate. And as others have said, it's a fantastic way to maximize the hype for show time.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well, if you think about it, the case for Ridley's playability is pretty strong when you look at certain facts.

For one, there's no reason to resize Ridley down to less than half of his brawl size (other than to balance him for playability); especially if Sakurai wants everyone to believe that Ridley is going to reprise a similar role to the last game (boss status). Also, the gimpy frame skipping shadow couldn't possibly reflect a pre-scripted boss animation. Just these things are enough to just about see through Sakurai's ruse, but then you also have the fact that he is STILL hiding Ridley from even so much as a screen shot or further mention after he talked so much about Yellow Devil and even Dark Emperor. Hell, compared to this time, Sakurai mentioned Ridley WAAAY more during the days leading up to brawl with the music and pictures/sse hype etc. It doesn't make sense to reduce that attention to Ridley when his popularity has only grown since brawl. I'll even bet he is counting on the fact that people are already figuring it out just so he can bring down the house at E3. It honestly would be a show-stealer.

I think people should put their worries aside and take a long hard look at the facts. I understand that it's a safe move to keep your expectations relatively low in the unlikely event that Sakurai says Ridley is indeed a boss/hazard, but for me personally, for him to disconfirm Ridley after all this time, and after the way (or lack thereof) that he presented Ridley, it would be just as shocking for me to hear that as it would be if Sakurai suddenly revealed Yellow Devil to be playable.

Bottom line is that I think us fans should rest assured based on the facts given and figured out so far. The reason there is so much speculation on this is because Sakurai purposely left a lot of room to speculate. And as others have said, it's a fantastic way to maximize the hype for show time.
There is also few other facts that makes it even more suspicious/weird like not even saying "Ridley" for all of the time this game is developed and lack of sound. Why not just insert sounds/leave them? It wouldn`t do much unless Ridley landed or did something that would give away his status. IF his plan was to maximize the hype and speculation/disscusion, then he succeded.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
@Smashoperatingbuddy123
Thank you for those two very long and detailed looks at Ridley, SOB. (SOB = Smash Operation Buddy). From what I myself had already gathered, I was already sure he has a big chance, but you've helped. ^^

I really hope the'll show a real Boss Ridley first in the E3 trailer, making haters go "YEAH I KNOW IT! IN YOUR FACE!" only to show him playable later, making haters go "...."

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I really hope the'll show a real Boss Ridley first in the E3 trailer, making haters go "YEAH I KNOW IT! IN YOUR FACE!" only to show him playable later, making haters go "...."
Or make him slowly move out of something with ground shaking, then him coming out, roaring before shrinking down after effect of Super Mushroom wears off. That would be better. Or if he would be hit by poison mushroom to make him shrink, then by lightning that would make him giant with those reveal images words being "SCREW THE SIZE, SMASH DOES NOT CARES ABOUT IT!".

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Or make him slowly move out of something with ground shaking, then him coming out, roaring before shrinking down after effect of Super Mushroom wears off. That would be better. Or if he would be hit by poison mushroom to make him shrink, then by lightning that would make him giant with those reveal images words being "SCREW THE SIZE, SMASH DOES NOT CARES ABOUT IT!".
Would be neat. ^^ Or...

Trailer starts. On Pyrosphere. A giant Boss Ridley flies in from the background, shooting fire-plasma at the players. It zooms in on the boss, as it roars. Another Ridley slashes it, and the boss goes down.

Ridley Wasn't too Big!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Would be neat. ^^ Or...

Trailer starts. On Pyrosphere. A giant Boss Ridley flies in from the background, shooting fire-plasma at the players. It zooms in on the boss, as it roars. Another Ridley slashes it, and the boss goes down.

Ridley Wasn't too Big!
Or
Wanted a boss? Too bad! Playable Ridley time!

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I always wanted the reveal trailer to be at Pyrosphere, and Anthony appears and it's like "Anthony joins the Fight!" and then a split second later Ridley appears, kills him, and takes his spot, with something like "Ridley slashes in!" This would prove that Ridley's not too big, Anthony is not a good Metroid Rep, and would showcase Sakurai's trolling to its finest.

I'm not good with Taglines.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Greetings fellow Space Pirates. I am new to Smash Boards, and thus new to this thread (signed up today). However, I have been following the Ridley thread for quite a while now (my first mistake was typing an error in my profile, so I need the admin to fix it D: ). I'm a massive fan of Ridley, and visit another forum that's full of TooBigots (I'm the only Ridley supporter there...), so I wanted to visit a place where there's Ridley support. Whilst I was shocked at that footage in the Direct, after looking at this place and doing some research of my own, I have become more positive in the possibility of a playable Ridley status (though not ruling anything out). I hope I can stay here, and I hope that E3 brings good news to us.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Greetings fellow Space Pirates. I am new to Smash Boards, and thus new to this thread (signed up today). However, I have been following the Ridley thread for quite a while now (my first mistake was typing an error in my profile, so I need the admin to fix it D: ). I'm a massive fan of Ridley, and visit another forum that's full of TooBigots (I'm the only Ridley supporter there...), so I wanted to visit a place where there's Ridley support. Whilst I was shocked at that footage in the Direct, after looking at this place and doing some research of my own, I have become more positive in the possibility of a playable Ridley status (though not ruling anything out). I hope I can stay here, and I hope that E3 brings good news to us.
Come, stay awhile. Stay forever!

Anyways, welcome to the thread(and by extension, Smashboards.) Hope you'll enjoy your time here.

Hanging around TooBigots is hazardous to your health and morale.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Come, stay awhile. Stay forever!

Anyways, welcome to the thread(and by extension, Smashboards.) Hope you'll enjoy your time here.

Hanging around TooBigots is hazardous to your health and morale.
It really is, you should have seen their reactions to the direct (the one line was something rubbish like "Too Bigot for life"). Some of them are even wanting the one-hit hunters playable rather than Ridley (because they "work"), and are annoyed that Dark Samus is an A.T. and not playable. It's frustrating being the only supporter in that place full of idiot detractors that won't listen to what I have to say...

Enough about that anyway. I like drawing, and really liked some of the drawings that I saw posted here. Maybe I'll give it a shot at some point :3

Top Bottom