• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

Reasons to Ridley's absence in previous Smash games
64: Only the good guys got a spot, do I even needed to explain that?
Melee: Metroid had 3 game at the time, and Mother Brain was more important than Ridley at that point, considering that unless you use Monster form, it's impossible to place Ridley before the main villain
Brawl: Sakurai needed some bosses, he used Ridley probably for the same reason as Porky, because of time's constraints and the fact that both series already got a newcmoer, besides, Ridley had a lot of competition to pass(Pit, MK, DDD, Wario, Olimar, Wolf, Diddy and Ike)
Shall we wait for his inclusion this time, since none of the Newcomers so far are as important as Ridley(except Mega Man and Villager)
Btw, I think there is a reason to why left his fate ambiguous, near E3, a lot of "leaks" will start to show up, none of them will include Ridley however, because people took that as a deconfirmation and the "toobigots" would call it fake by including him i the "leak", as shown with the Palutena leak, Sakurai is aware of their existence, and maybe he wants to do this so, he can deconfirm them as fake when he reveals Ridley

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I really don't see why you guys are so attached to a supposed rock formation when Rdiely's head is right there in the tree branch.

I am seriously not seeing how you see Ridley in those rocks.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
1. You're counting Metroid and Zero Mission as two games. Zero Mission is a remake.
2. You're counting aurora units as Mother Brain? That's an even BIGGER stretch. And at the end of the day the main antagonist is STILL Dark Samus.
3. That's because it's Dark Samus controlling an aurora unit. Not Mother Brain.
4. Well that's great, but MB is a one-game occurrence that is LIKE Mother Brain, but is still not Mother Brain.

This is like if I count every occurrence of a purple enemy in any Metroid game as Ridley, and then backed it up with "I'm sure if Ridley met Mother Brain again after Super Metroid he'd just fill her jar with space pirate urine and feed her to some gorilla alien monsters and laugh."
...Are you willfully ignoring Mother Brain's influence and significance to Metroid to fit your view of Ridley or Metroid Prime being the true antagonists of the series?

Why discount MB? Why insist that any connection between Mother Brain and Aurora is a stretch despite being giant brains in jars with similar blueprints?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Could be worse. Could be Oompa Loompa Ridley

Kraid got it worse, though.
What the....who the hell are they?...It looks like a Dragonite with a gorilla mocus hair! and I don't know what is the other thing....It can't be Rids and Kraid....

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
hey check this out I found something

its not his arm its not his lega its not Pikachu

see for yourself
http://gfycat.com/ComfortableIncompatibleAzurewingedmagpie#?speed=2.2958874039497803e-41
at this point
Great job and your saying he isn't holding Pikachu and his head is hanging below him? Thats interesting posturing then. Then I wonder what he is doing when throwing his legs into the air like that.

I really don't see why you guys are so attached to a supposed rock formation when Rdiely's head is right there in the tree branch.

I am seriously not seeing how you see Ridley in those rocks.
Funny I don't understand how you can't see it. Eh doesn't matter I guess.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
So I know I've talked at great lengths about how Ridley hadn't made it in previous Smash titles because he wasn't important until Metroid Prime and Other M. But what about Mother Brain, the final boss and main antagonist of the Metroid series?

Why hasn't Mother Brain made any appearances until now? No appearances as a trophy or even as a stage hazard. Her biggest role up until now was as a mere sticker.

Maybe Sakurai thought she would be too scary for kids. So its likely that more "scary" characters will make appearances as stage hazards, Assist Trophies, or even playable characters!

Argument invalid

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I don't think rocks will give any indication of playability. Sounds like a stretch, in my opinion. I can see it, but it's probably coincidence.

Unless you believe nothing happens by coincidence, in which case: Illuminati Confirmed.
I feel its so blatant. Can't see it being a coincidence.

But I'll hush up about it lol. Can't wait till E3....

majora_787

Smash Hero
...Are you willfully ignoring Mother Brain's influence and significance to Metroid to fit your view of Ridley or Metroid Prime being the true antagonists of the series?

Why discount MB? Why insist that any connection between Mother Brain and Aurora is a stretch despite being giant brains in jars with similar blueprints?
You are LITERALLY saying that things that are not Mother Brain are Mother Brain for the convenience of your statement, and then spinning it around in some bizarre attempt to accuse me of "skewing facts".

I am not discounting MB. I am saying MB is not Mother Brain. It is LIKE Mother Brain in terms of its purpose and function, but is not Mother Brain. Mother Brain's INFLUENCE is all of what. To be on Zebes, die twice, be visually imitated in Aurora units (Which are not Mother Brain), and to have its function imitated in MB (Who is not Mother Brain). I cannot believe I even have to explain these things in a metroid thread, and I don't know why I amt trying to explain them to you when you will deliberately ignore whatever you want with your whole "It has a brain which makes it another game Mother Brain was the antagonist in" whatever schtick. But the FACT OF THE MATTER IS. In a series where *ONE* antagonist with a direct link to the protagonist's backstory is one of two characters to appear in more than half of the franchise, they take a higher seat over a boss who was the final boss of two games. As I have said before, the Metroid Prime has a better track record than Mother Brain does.

But hey, you're all up in the "spouting random crap" business. I'll let you do that. Go ahead. Everything with a brain is Mother Brain. Everything that is ever within five light years of water or glass containers? Mother Brain. Every character in the entire series 100% confirmed to be Mother Brain. Most important character in the entire series. At the end of the day? Assist trophy. Ridley? Shaping up to possibly be playable. Though I guess they're Mother Brain anyway so it hardly even matters.

Anyway, putting my hands in something less deliberately frustrating/obnoxious. Why are we looking at clouds/rocks again? xD

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Great job and your saying he isn't holding Pikachu and his head is hanging below him? Thats interesting posturing then. Then I wonder what he is doing when throwing his legs into the air like that.

Funny I don't understand how you can't see it. Eh doesn't matter I guess.
Oh im sure hes holding pikachu im just pointing out i found his head and it's a head smaller than the orginal other m ridley

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Yea kindof hes like that i mean its so hard to fine but i think his head shadow is there while on the idle animation of him holding pikachu
Well it goes to show SakuraI is most likely making good use of posturing to make Ridley big without taking up a ton of space by making him very compact like Super Metroid.

http://static.gamesradar.com/images...d/082510_samusridley_obs04--article_image.jpg

Super Metroid Ridley looks like he is about to do a somersault. xD

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You are LITERALLY saying that things that are not Mother Brain are Mother Brain for the convenience of your statement, and then spinning it around in some bizarre attempt to accuse me of "skewing facts".

I am not discounting MB. I am saying MB is not Mother Brain. It is LIKE Mother Brain in terms of its purpose and function, but is not Mother Brain. Mother Brain's INFLUENCE is all of what. To be on Zebes, die twice, be visually imitated in Aurora units (Which are not Mother Brain), and to have its function imitated in MB (Who is not Mother Brain). I cannot believe I even have to explain these things in a metroid thread, and I don't know why I amt trying to explain them to you when you will deliberately ignore whatever you want with your whole "It has a brain which makes it another game Mother Brain was the antagonist in" whatever schtick. But the FACT OF THE MATTER IS. In a series where *ONE* antagonist with a direct link to the protagonist's backstory is one of two characters to appear in more than half of the franchise, they take a higher seat over a boss who was the final boss of two games. As I have said before, the Metroid Prime has a better track record than Mother Brain does.

But hey, you're all up in the "spouting random crap" business. I'll let you do that. Go ahead. Everything with a brain is Mother Brain. Everything that is ever within five light years of water or glass containers? Mother Brain. Every character in the entire series 100% confirmed to be Mother Brain. Most important character in the entire series. At the end of the day? Assist trophy. Ridley? Shaping up to possibly be playable. Though I guess they're Mother Brain anyway so it hardly even matters.

Anyway, putting my hands in something less deliberately frustrating/obnoxious. Why are we looking at clouds/rocks again? xD
Eesh. Take a chill pill. You really need to calm down.

It's easy to accuse you of skewing facts when you consider a character who's had more appearances and passing references in the series than Metroid Prime/Dark Samus to have a lesser track record and importance. Yeah, the Phazon corruption thing was probably more devastating than breeding Metroids to conquer the galaxy, but it/she's still had 3 games, tops.

Doesn't really matter though. If you really consider status in Smash bros. to equal importance, (I personally also factor in mobility, reasonable scale, and limb possession, but whatever floats your boat) Mother Brain, a Metroid, and Dark Samus are equally important in standing.

And I never said that Mother Brain had a better chance of being playable than Ridley. I was just wondering why she hadn't appeared until now, seeing as at the time of Melee, she was the main antagonist of the series, and was only represented by a mere Sticker in Brawl despite Zero Mission.

Take a look at the clouds. It'll help you relax.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I traced the shadow.

I'm no shadow expert, but its a start. Maybe someone more talented can refine it.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
I see this thread is as active as ever...

FOR RIDLEY!

...Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

Sooooo, more shadow analyzing, I see.

I can vaguely see a shape like that of Roidley...

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I see this thread is as active as ever...

FOR RIDLEY!

...Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

Sooooo, more shadow analyzing, I see.

I can vaguely see a shape like that of Roidley...
Come, stay awhile. Stay forever!

But, yeah. Until Sakurai gives us a picture of Ridley or a different conversation point, we got to look at the best shadow in the world. I mean, don't you wish you had a shadow as cool as Ridley's? By this point, it's probably the most popular shadow in the world.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Come, stay awhile. Stay forever!

But, yeah. Until Sakurai gives us a picture of Ridley or a different conversation point, we got to look at the best shadow in the world. I mean, don't you wish you had a shadow as cool as Ridley's? By this point, it's probably the most popular shadow in the world.
I'm jelly. I mean... DAT SHADOW!

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
SCAN0187.JPG

for me that shadow looks like this...i just wish i knew where are his arms exactly....I can't stop thinking of shadows!!! D:

Last edited:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
If you honestly weren't expecting playable Ridley to be an amalgamation of classic and Other M, you were, quite frankly, a very silly goose.

Morbi

Scavenger
If you honestly weren't expecting playable Ridley to be an amalgamation of classic and Other M, you were, quite frankly, a very silly goose.
I thought that Ridley would be "Smash" Ridley. I didn't really believe that he was going to replicate one of the designs. But, I don't know a lot about Ridley, I didn't even support him prior to the Direct (which is where it became blatantly obvious that he was going to be playable).

Top Bottom