• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ah....what is OMHM????
"Other M Hate Meme", which is my blanket term for people who express their dislike for Other M by doing any of the following:

1. Spamming really annoying memes nonstop, such as "The Baby". (This is basically the only one. Admittedly I do find the Adam authorizing things meme to be funny.)
2. Spreading wrong information OR taking things out of context deliberately, or spreading wrong information/taking things out of context while having not actually played the game or seen a LP of it or something. (Read: "Well everyone keeps saying Ghirahim is the most important villain in the zelda franchise after Skyward Sword. I haven't played it myself but so many people say it, it has to be true. I'll take their word for it.)
3. Complaining about things that aren't entirely legitimate, or throwing things that amount to personal preference into the trash with so called 'objective facts'. Mostly in regards to people saying the gameplay is 'factually bad' because they don't like games that play that way, while other people were fine with the gameplay or the controls and disliked other things in the plot. Alternatively, taking legitimate complaints to a horiffic extreme. "I don't like X, so this game flat-out didn't exist and never happened."
4. Endorse conspiracy theories.

I mean obviously not liking Other M is not an issue. And there are definitely a number of things to criticize and not like about the game. I defend Other M but I still consider it well in the bottom 3 worst Metroid games. But a good number of people take it to such a bizarre level where I'm just labeling what it is. An obnoxious and unfunny meme. /How I feel about games

It just chaffs my ass when people will somehow underrate a game that isn't all too good in the first place. Isn't there something more productive we can be doing? Probably?

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
"Other M Hate Meme", which is my blanket term for people who express their dislike for Other M by doing any of the following:

1. Spamming really annoying memes nonstop, such as "The Baby". (This is basically the only one. Admittedly I do find the Adam authorizing things meme to be funny.)
2. Spreading wrong information OR taking things out of context deliberately, or spreading wrong information/taking things out of context while having not actually played the game or seen a LP of it or something. (Read: "Well everyone keeps saying Ghirahim is the most important villain in the zelda franchise after Skyward Sword. I haven't played it myself but so many people say it, it has to be true. I'll take their word for it.)
3. Complaining about things that aren't entirely legitimate, or throwing things that amount to personal preference into the trash with so called 'objective facts'. Mostly in regards to people saying the gameplay is 'factually bad' because they don't like games that play that way, while other people were fine with the gameplay or the controls and disliked other things in the plot. Alternatively, taking legitimate complaints to a horiffic extreme. "I don't like X, so this game flat-out didn't exist and never happened."
4. Endorse conspiracy theories.

I mean obviously not liking Other M is not an issue. And there are definitely a number of things to criticize and not like about the game. I defend Other M but I still consider it well in the bottom 3 worst Metroid games. But a good number of people take it to such a bizarre level where I'm just labeling what it is. An obnoxious and unfunny meme. /How I feel about games

It just chaffs my *** when people will somehow underrate a game that isn't all too good in the first place. Isn't there something more productive we can be doing? Probably?
Oh, ok....I have a whole LP of it....and a commentary on the 2 hours cutscenes,,and reviews,,and yeah, they all say the same thing...

Thanks for the info.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Oh, ok....I have a whole LP of it....and a commentary on the 2 hours cutscenes,,and reviews,,and yeah, they all say the same thing...

Thanks for the info.
My issue isn't with people who have an informed dislike for the game. But there are more people than there should be who dislike the game because other people dislike the game. And I value on some level having an informed opinion, especially if the opinion you're going to have is going to be that drastic.

Buuuut people don't care about that sometimes. Which is unfortunate. :\

AndreaAC

My issue isn't with people who have an informed dislike for the game. But there are more people than there should be who dislike the game because other people dislike the game. And I value on some level having an informed opinion, especially if the opinion you're going to have is going to be that drastic.

Buuuut people don't care about that sometimes. Which is unfortunate. :\
I disliked it way before it came out, just because of Roidley and the evolution thing......I do not care about the gameplay, Samus' "personality" or the autorization thing.....just the first 2 things.

Well, I will hope that a better thing comes after that.....

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
My hate for Other M knows little bounds.

I love Metroidvanias! Then I got funnelled through a long winding corridor with checkpoints for the entire game.

I love brawlers! I didn't like the fighting mechanics at all. It's based around inaccurate shooting, you couldn't easily choose your targets, an 8-way movement system and made the player point at the screen to fire missiles.

I'd love to find out more about Samus! I regret ever thinking that was a good idea. She already had a backstory and that's all I needed.

For me, it failed on everything and I'd rather Nintendo just pretend it never existed. The one really cool part in the whole game for me was seeing Nightmare, and then he felt gimped and non-threatening.

majora_787

Smash Hero
My hate for Other M knows little bounds.

I love Metroidvanias! Then I got funnelled through a long winding corridor with checkpoints for the entire game.

I love brawlers! I didn't like the fighting mechanics at all. It's based around inaccurate shooting, you couldn't easily choose your targets, an 8-way movement system and made the player point at the screen to fire missiles.

I'd love to find out more about Samus! I regret ever thinking that was a good idea. She already had a backstory and that's all I needed.

For me, it failed on everything and I'd rather Nintendo just pretend it never existed. The one really cool part in the whole game for me was seeing Nightmare, and then he felt gimped and non-threatening.
While it's fine and good that you have your opinions on it, this is the problem I have. I think the whole "I don't like it so it should just not exist" notion is kind of... I don't know the right word for it. But like I said, there are a LOT of games I don't like, even in the Metroid series, and I still acknowledge that they exist. I just don't like them.

And honestly, unpopular opinion time, I have no idea why you think Other M Nightmare is gimped and unthreatening compared to Mr. "large sprite in small room floating lazily and casually shooting lasers to the left". Plus, they improved Phantoon massively (pun intended 100%) as well and gave us a glimpse into what it's like abilities-wise.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

I think we should go back to Ridley....I will draw maybe something after i finish eating my quesadilla......

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
While it's fine and good that you have your opinions on it, this is the problem I have. I think the whole "I don't like it so it should just not exist" notion is kind of... I don't know the right word for it. But like I said, there are a LOT of games I don't like, even in the Metroid series, and I still acknowledge that they exist. I just don't like them.
Yeah, I'm fine with that. I'd just wish they did, I don't expect them to. :3c

And honestly, unpopular opinion time, I have no idea why you think Other M Nightmare is gimped and unthreatening compared to Mr. "large sprite in small room floating lazily and casually shooting lasers to the left". Plus, they improved Phantoon massively (pun intended 100%) as well and gave us a glimpse into what it's like abilities-wise.
I always stuggled to dodge his attacks in Fusion due to the crazy gravity. Other M just makes dodging as easy as a button tap so the gravity mechanics didn't make anything harder to dodge. His second form was pretty awesome how he'd arc your shots around, but it was only a novelty that didn't make him any more dangerous. I don't know, he just fell flat on me.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
We need Phantoon riding on Ridley's back. I imagine Phantoon would kind of be like a beached jellyfish or something if he wasn't sapping some ship.

EDIT: I kind of wonder how Ridley even interacts with characters like Draygon, Kraid, and Phantoon who are major components of the space pirate military. I assume Ridley would also have met Weavel at least once, considering.

Last edited:

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice

SOLOMONSMASHBOARDS! I HAVE RETURNED!

(Prepare for bombardment!)

Three Ridleys for the price of one!

Hunter and Dragon! (My own designs for Samus and Ridley)

Herald of death: Reaper knight Ridley. [What if Ridley was a fantasy knight?]

Metroid'ish Samus vs HumanRidley! (I imagine Samus can suck energy by finger-stabbing you like a JoJo vampire, I also based the head of the Omega Metroid on Lamprey eels, it just fit.)

A look into the life of the Space Dragons:(Sir David Attenborough voice) "The awe-inspiring Space Dragon is a creature that strikes fear into the hearts of men, there is no question that it is on the top of the food-chain in its natural habitat. But the life of a Space Dragon is not an easy one.

Resources are scarce, and the climate harsh. it is a life where survival of the strongest is the only rule. Space Dragons have no love for others of their kind, and will attack each other on sight. The less competition there is, the better your own chances.

An Infant, though more than capable of taking down a full-grown man, is still quite vulnerable. Its skin is covered in a protective layer of fur, reminiscent of the down-layer of young birds, serving to protect it from the harsh climate of its homeworld. But its main method of protection is actually far more clever, the Space Dragon is naturally capable of communicating with its surroundings in frequencies that drive other nearby animals into a frenzy. This, coupled with the Space Dragon's considerable intelligence, makes for a rather effective means of self-defense. Why do the job yourself, when you can make others do it for you.

After having fed for a certain period of time, The infant Space Dragon will reach its next step in its life-cycle. seeking out a safe place to hide, it sheds its old skin and emerges as a juvenile. this metamorphosis is quite extraordinary as few creatures share such a drastic change in their lives, excluding insects.

The Juvenile Space Dragon is a fearsome predator, equipped with sharp claws and teeth, powerful muscles, and a deadly tail. Around the size of an average adult human, it is not to be taken lightly. Though most of its body is covered by tough scales, it still retains a layer of fur across its back, as its scales haven't fully developed yet. After enough feeding, the juvenile will transition into its last stage of its life-cycle: the adult.

Adult Space Dragons have fully earned their name, due to their draconic looks and the fascinating ability to move through the harsh vaacum of space under their own power. Along with its natural weapons from its juvenile stage, the adult also possess powerful wings, and the ability to spew superheated plasma from its mouth.

One of the most curious observations done on Space Dragons indicate an ability to pass down information genetically. Scientists have noted that infant Space Dragons seem to have knowledge, and perhaps even memories from experiences of adult Space Dragons. Whatever the truth may be, it is undeniable that these creatures are some of the most incredible beings in the universe."
Life of the Space Dragons.

AndreaAC's worst nightmare. (Why did I even make this?! What is wrong wwith me?!)

Okay, nothing personal against you AndreaAC, but could you please stop telling everybody how much you hate Other M Ridley all the time, or at least tone it down? because it's getting really old by now. We get it, you hate Other M Ridley, you don't need to comment about it in every other post you make. I happen to have grown really fond of the Other M design (though I admit it could have been better, doesn't mean it's the worst thing ever though). Now every time I see you commenting on how you hate him, I feel like this:

If you don't want to, then that's fine. I just felt like I had to get it out.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I just came up with a possible Theory regarding the Pyrosphere stage in Smash Bros...
but first some fitting music...

According to Metroid Wiki, the place where Samus encounters Ridley in Other M is called "GEOTHERMAL POWER PLANT"
...Yet Sakurai named that same stage as the "Pyrosphere" in SSB4...
Here's a link: http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Geothermal_Power_Plant
I speculate that the Pyrosphere stage is a MOVING STAGE where the huge platform moves through various regions all around the Pyrosphere Sector from Metroid: Other M

The Pyrosphere SECTOR from Metroid Other M holds 3 dangerous creatures that will each pose as the "Stage Hazard" in different regions of the Pyrosphere:
Goyagma.
Goyagma can appear standing from the lava pool.....He can toss flames, sweep his arms and rain blobs of burning lava....
Here's a video of the fight in Other M
Vorash. Vorash can pounce over the stage while raining fireballs.....It is even possible for Vorash to Lunge towards the stage to DEVOUR a fighter (Insta-KO)...
Here's a video of Vorash Fight:

And of course...
Ridley....As a stage hazard, Ridley can grab players and do his usual sadistic stuff...or possible bind the fighter into place, leaving them defenseless against other opponents....If aggravated, Ridley could take a deep breath and unleash "NAPALM BREATH", a huge fireball that covers the stage ground....You need to jump to evade that inferno shockwave...
Here's a video of Ridley's famous fight in Other M:
[/
SPOILER]

This is all speculation, but if it is true, then the Pyrosphere stage in SSB4 will be one hell of a stage ....."Hell" literally:p
nice heres to help out this theory

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Pyrosphere

you could be on to something

ridley playable and the other 2 pyrosphere bosses as the boss hazards

(oh this still does not mean ridley is deconfirmed as a boss especially because of all of the evidence and this is still technically a long shot even though you gave plausible information)

I guess to help it the ridley boss hazard could be disable when someone is playing as ridley

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Metroid'ish Samus vs HumanRidley! (I imagine Samus can suck energy by finger-stabbing you like a JoJo vampire, I also based the head of the Omega Metroid on Lamprey eels, it just fit.)

A look into the life of the Space Dragons:(Sir David Attenborough voice) "The awe-inspiring Space Dragon is a creature that strikes fear into the hearts of men, there is no question that it is on the top of the food-chain in its natural habitat. But the life of a Space Dragon is not an easy one.

Resources are scarce, and the climate harsh. it is a life where survival of the strongest is the only rule. Space Dragons have no love for others of their kind, and will attack each other on sight. The less competition there is, the better your own chances.

An Infant, though more than capable of taking down a full-grown man, is still quite vulnerable. Its skin is covered in a protective layer of fur, reminiscent of the down-layer of young birds, serving to protect it from the harsh climate of its homeworld. But its main method of protection is actually far more clever, the Space Dragon is naturally capable of communicating with its surroundings in frequencies that drive other nearby animals into a frenzy. This, coupled with the Space Dragon's considerable intelligence, makes for a rather effective means of self-defense. Why do the job yourself, when you can make others do it for you.

After having fed for a certain period of time, The infant Space Dragon will reach its next step in its life-cycle. seeking out a safe place to hide, it sheds its old skin and emerges as a juvenile. this metamorphosis is quite extraordinary as few creatures share such a drastic change in their lives, excluding insects.

The Juvenile Space Dragon is a fearsome predator, equipped with sharp claws and teeth, powerful muscles, and a deadly tail. Around the size of an average adult human, it is not to be taken lightly. Though most of its body is covered by tough scales, it still retains a layer of fur across its back, as its scales haven't fully developed yet. After enough feeding, the juvenile will transition into its last stage of its life-cycle: the adult.

Adult Space Dragons have fully earned their name, due to their draconic looks and the fascinating ability to move through the harsh vaacum of space under their own power. Along with its natural weapons from its juvenile stage, the adult also possess powerful wings, and the ability to spew superheated plasma from its mouth.

One of the most curious observations done on Space Dragons indicate an ability to pass down information genetically. Scientists have noted that infant Space Dragons seem to have knowledge, and perhaps even memories from experiences of adult Space Dragons. Whatever the truth may be, it is undeniable that these creatures are some of the most incredible beings in the universe."

AndreaAC's worst nightmare. (Why did I even make this?! What is wrong wwith me?!)

Okay, nothing personal against you AndreaAC, but could you please stop telling everybody how much you hate Other M Ridley all the time, or at least tone it down? because it's getting really old by now. We get it, you hate Other M Ridley, you don't need to comment about it in every other post you make. I happen to have grown really fond of the Other M design (though I admit it could have been better, doesn't mean it's the worst thing ever though). Now every time I see you commenting on how you hate him, I feel like this:

OK, I will lower it a bit, but i won't stop disliking it....

Nice drawings by the way, even my worst nightmare

majora_787

Smash Hero
To be honest Crocovile, I really like your art. You prove that the designs in Other M can definitely be made to look good, even if they weren't handled very well in the game itself. It's cool to see what you can do for Ridley. :D

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
AndreaAC said:
OK, I will lower it a bit, but i won't stop disliking it....

Nice drawings by the way, even my worst nightmare
That's okay, you don't have to stop disliking something just because people tell you to. Just don't be so loud about, because that can get really annoying after a while.

Thanks majora_787, I'm glad you like it.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
So I wanted to give Roidley a go.

roids.png

Ended up creating a mix between his ingame model and his concept art, as well as some features from previous Ridley's incarnations. So he's Roidley with less roids and a more SM Ridley-ish face.

Last edited:

Zuba Oki

Smash Apprentice

Rosadley be Scary. Also nice art the more artist the better.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Just had an interesting idea. Rosalina is in her fully powered observatory and Ridley is in a...space pirate ship thingy...and the two of them are blasting...bad guy ships...StarFox style. Hey I said interesting idea, not fleshed out idea. :p

Or the scene in SSE where Marth and Meta Knight stood back to back, only with Rosalina and Ridley in epic battle poses.

Wish my artistic talent would become more developed already...

AndreaAC

Wow....now that I think about it...why every ship I like (well...some of them)....is between different species?...I mean....

Ridley (A dragon) + Rosalina (A princess)

Falco (a blue falcon xD) + Katt (a pink cat)

Silver (A telekinetic hedgehog ) + Blaze (A pyrokinetic cat)

Rayman (A...thingamajig?) + Ly (A cat-like fairy)

xD I think I will draw them all together at some point.....dancing

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Might as well post this here as well.

He is a stage hazard. If you can't face that, you're in denial.
"We didn't introduce ALL the Assist Trophies in the Smash Bros. Direct. Here's Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western!!"
"The Assist Trophy, Midna!"
"I'll assist you with freshly-picked fruit from my town?! Congratulations on your appearance Isabelle!"
"Oh Uncle Andross."
"Never bully Cuccos."
"Kotake and Kume, appear in Gerudo Valley!"
- Sakurai

The list goes on and on and on. When Sakurai disconfirms characters, he disconfirms them. Ridley, E3 2014.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Might as well post this here as well.

"We didn't introduce ALL the Assist Trophies in the Smash Bros. Direct. Here's Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western!!"
"The Assist Trophy, Midna!"
"I'll assist you with freshly-picked fruit from my town?! Congratulations on your appearance Isabelle!"
"Oh Uncle Andross."
"Never bully Cuccos."
"Kotake and Kume, appear in Gerudo Valley!"
- Sakurai

The list goes on and on and on. When Sakurai disconfirms characters, he disconfirms them. Ridley, E3 2014.
That image is really good. I love it.

Top Bottom