• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
What if the reason we're only seeing Ridley's shadow is not because Sakurai is trying to troll or tease, but because his model just isn't done yet? It would make sense for some of the Wii U-exclusive things to be incomplete right now, since it's coming out later. Maybe Sakurai thought this would be a good way to get his disconfirmation out of the way and put Ridley fans out of their misery without waiting until he's finished.

I am not 100% ruling out the possibility that Ridley could be playable - Sakurai does unexpected things sometimes. But I do not expect it.

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
What if the reason we're only seeing Ridley's shadow is not because Sakurai is trying to troll or tease, but because his model just isn't done yet? It would make sense for some of the Wii U-exclusive things to be incomplete right now, since it's coming out later. Maybe Sakurai thought this would be a good way to get his disconfirmation out of the way without waiting until he's finished.

I am not 100% ruling out the possibility that Ridley could be playable - Sakurai does unexpected things sometimes. But I do not expect it.
I find that hard to believe.

I had to remind myself that the Direct could have very well been put together a month in advance. We can't be sure how old or new everything we saw is. But it has been quite some time. The Pyrosphere itself seems to have been done for a long time now. If Ridley was really planned for the stage, I find it hard to believe the model isn't finished and already inserted into the stage. They ought to be tweaking it at this point, not still building it from scratch.

That makes me think. At this point they have to be putting finishing touches and final testing on the playable roster, 'cause the 3DS version will eventually be on its way out. What will they be doing between then and Winter with the Wii U?

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Maybe it's use depend on what stage it is.

Normal Pyrosphere :
The start of the fight begin in pure darkness, then Ridley appear in the background shoot a giant fireball in the wall which start the lava fall (he do it himself this time instead of Samus), the light does nothing since the lava already provide light.

FD Pyrosphere :
There is no Ridley to destroy the wall meaning no lava, so the lights provide well.........light on the stage.

My only problem with that is that this stage is supposed to be after the boss fight from Other M like we can see thanks to the holes that Ridley made but the lava fall appear because of Samus before said fight =/

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok another size comparison with the tail and pikachu

(By the tail talon covered pikachu is probably 3/4 of it estimating)

Purple circle = most likely his tail tip

Yellow circle =pikachu

Is this more helpful

(Due to the tail being to the side or other not back)

And here's other m ridley with the best view possible of his tail

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
My mind is getting numb with all this shadow talk and size talk and Pyrosphere talk... sigh. But I guess they do help in keeping our hopes up? All I'm thinking right now, Ridley-wise, is that E3 can't come soon enough...

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
I have to admit, the recent size comparisons between Pikachu and Ridley's tail have made me more skeptical of Ridley's playability. Sure, Ridley could be downsized (with some difficulty) to be around or above Bowser's height, many of the people in the thread have argued that point fairly well... but it's looking more and more like that hasn't occurred with SSB4 Ridley.

Again, either a POTD or E3 will be Ridley's moment of truth (at least for those who didn't write him off in the wake of the Direct), and failing either, the 3DS release and the full roster subsequently spreading like wildfire on the internet (if not a short while prior from the inevitable lucky folks who get it early); but I'm leaning towards him just being a boss more than I was before, though I'm still hoping he ends up playable in spite of the evidence against him.

After all, he's really the only other Metroid character that could be playable at this point; anybody else getting in (for example, Anthony or Sylux) instead of him would just have their reputation sullied as "the one who somehow got in over Ridley," regardless of how fun and original they would end up being (by contrast, if Anthony or Sylux got in alongside Ridley, they'd have a shot at becoming universally beloved among Smash fans, as has happened with the majority of Smash characters).

TL;DR, I still support Ridley's inclusion, but am lowering expectations.

Last edited:

Smashingbrother

Smash Rookie
Everyone should consider him not playable as to not get our hopes up. If he ends up being playable hurrah, but if not that's what we will have been expecting

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
What if the reason we're only seeing Ridley's shadow is not because Sakurai is trying to troll or tease, but because his model just isn't done yet? It would make sense for some of the Wii U-exclusive things to be incomplete right now, since it's coming out later. Maybe Sakurai thought this would be a good way to get his disconfirmation out of the way and put Ridley fans out of their misery without waiting until he's finished.

But why would they show the pyrosphere when the main attraction isn't done yet? It would be like opening an amusement park but telling the people that the attrations aren't ready

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
But why would they show the pyrosphere when the main attraction isn't done yet? It would be like opening an amusement park but telling the people that the attrations aren't ready
Watching the Direct, it seemed like bosses would be rare, but major events. Like, only 1 out of 5 times that you played on Wily's Castle would Yellow Devil show up. That's probably pure conjecture on my part, though.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Watching the Direct, it seemed like bosses would be rare, but major events. Like, only 1 out of 5 times that you played on Wily's Castle would Yellow Devil show up. That's probably pure conjecture on my part, though.
Yellow devil is a stage hazard so I'm sure than in nearly every fight you will see him

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Ok another size comparison with the tail and pikachu

(By the tail talon covered pikachu is probably 3/4 of it estimating)

Purple circle = most likely his tail tip

Yellow circle =pikachu

Is this more helpful

(Due to the tail being to the side or other not back)

And here's other m ridley with the best view possible of his tail

Hmm why such a big circle for Pikachu? Good size comparison though.

For people who are still thinking Ridley's tail is twice the size of Pikachu just stop your wrong.....The only way Ridley is that big is if the Pikachu he grabbed took a super mushroom off screen explaining why Ridley looks around Bowsers size in comparison to Pikachu shadows. It's an illusion.

This is basicly what our Smash 4 Ridley is looking like.

http://smashboards.com/attachments/ridley-downsized-png.12868/

Here is the colored picture again. (Ignore the Pikachu colored tail cuz its actually Ridley's tail behind Pikachu)

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2..._2014_04_10_um_23_35_45_by_lilt92-d7dxcjy.png

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
My mind is getting numb with all this shadow talk and size talk and Pyrosphere talk... sigh. But I guess they do help in keeping our hopes up? All I'm thinking right now, Ridley-wise, is that E3 can't come soon enough...
RealTalk..........

E3 needs to get here now....sick of all this....

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It would take a whole team of professionals a very short amount of time to finish a single model, especially one that's only being used as a stage element.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hmm why such a big circle for Pikachu? Good size comparison though.

For people who are still thinking Ridley's tail is twice the size of Pikachu just stop your wrong.....The only way Ridley is that big is if the Pikachu he grabbed took a super mushroom off screen explaining why Ridley looks around Bowsers size in comparison to Pikachu shadows. It's an illusion.

This is basicly what our Smash 4 Ridley is looking like.

http://smashboards.com/attachments/ridley-downsized-png.12868/

Here is the colored picture again. (Ignore the Pikachu colored tail cuz its actually Ridley's tail behind Pikachu)

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2..._2014_04_10_um_23_35_45_by_lilt92-d7dxcjy.png
Yea I was trying to find a good shadow part of the direct with his tail so we have a more accurate guess of how big his tail tip is

And as for that ridley picture well in my opinion that ridley needs to be a few hairs taller to match the shadow

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Yea I was trying to find a good shadow part of the direct with his tail so we have a more accurate guess of how big his tail tip is

And as for that ridley picture well in my opinion that ridley needs to be a few hairs taller to match the shadow
Your most likely right. You can see Ridley's fist in the shadow picture too. Pikachu is much larger then his hand. Not sure if that helps in anyway. I'm still saying Pikachu is close to half Ridley's arm/hand and maybe alittle bit more.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm just so glad Namco is helping....If Namco can make characters like this (Not saying Ridley would be this big or play like this at all) then I'm sure they can make a workable Ridley model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XMIjBLgX90
Tekken in general has been partly known for its dragon bosses. Ogre > Azazel on that note, though there was one version of Tekken 6 or something where Azazel (from the video you posted) was actually PLAYABLE, which laughs in the face of toobigotry. Not the best example for Ridley though, but it does kinda give even less doubt that Namco could make/could've made Ridley work, if they had been given the chance.

And saying Sakurai lacks imagination in regards to Ridley or Metroid stages isn't being butthurt. It's just fact... How can one say that taking what was already done with Ridley in Dead or Alive Dimensions and the Pyrosphere stage from there is in any way imaginative?

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Maybe it's phazon that turns Ridley into Omega Ridley for the remainder of the boss fight.
You know as terrible as it might be if Ridley were a boss, if he had stages and s**t, and was an epic boss, then I wouldn't be that mad (that mad).

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
im curious about something.....IF Ridley is a stage hazard, do you think it would be fully revealed through a pic of the day?
In a way, every day that goes by with no Ridley makes me feel a bit better. I guess im just assuming that if he is JUST a stage hazard Sakurai would tell us more through miiverse, what do you guys think?

Cpt.

Smash Lord
im curious about something.....IF Ridley is a stage hazard, do you think it would be fully revealed through a pic of the day?
In a way, every day that goes by with no Ridley makes me feel a bit better. I guess im just assuming that if he is JUST a stage hazard Sakurai would tell us more through miiverse, what do you guys think?
I completely agree. If he is a character, its going to be BIG (no toobigot pun intended). and I mean BOLD UNDERLINE ALL CAPS BIG!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

This look about right? As much as I thought 4.75m seemed the most BEAUTIFUL height to give Ridley, his Brawl model does seem to match his Super Metroid sprite better if he's larger. Here he's 5.25m (posed to stand normally at 4.1m), 20% smaller than his Brawl size.

So that's.. eh.. roughly 2.75x the height of Samus? I GUESS that works. Only roughly though.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
And saying Sakurai lacks imagination in regards to Ridley or Metroid stages isn't being butthurt. It's just fact... How can one say that taking what was already done with Ridley in Dead or Alive Dimensions and the Pyrosphere stage from there is in any way imaginative?
Thank you. Let's call a spade a spade here, Sakurai has his creative ideas, but this is so far on the opposite end of the spectrum, it's laughable.

majora_787

Smash Hero

I feel like it says a lot though when that's in the rough neighborhood of Ridley's size, even though he most likely IS a little larger than that... even if not much. I mean he totally COULD be a boss at that size, MAYBE to compensate for the lava hazard, but... Why?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Tekken in general has been partly known for its dragon bosses. Ogre > Azazel on that note, though there was one version of Tekken 6 or something where Azazel (from the video you posted) was actually PLAYABLE, which laughs in the face of toobigotry. Not the best example for Ridley though, but it does kinda give even less doubt that Namco could make/could've made Ridley work, if they had been given the chance.
Azazel isn't playable except with cheats though, and even then he's terribly unbalanced with his hitboxes. He's a boss for a reason.

True Ogre is very big but I don't think his size has to do with anything. He's the largest character, but unlike Ridley, his proportions don't get in the way. I don't think Ridley is too big, but I think his proportions is the real reason why he's hard to work with. His hitbox would be all over the place and he'd be EXTREMELY hard to balance, and I don't think the fact Ridley tends to change stances (particularly grounded) helps at all. Ogre is consistent. EDIT: I also forgot to mention Ogre's moveset is basically a mishmash of other characters' moves, meaning he was easy to work with. He does have a few moves of his own, only a few though.

Though funny that, the reason True Ogre is one of the worse characters in Tag 2 is because of his large hitbox making him vulnerable to a lot of things, which is a big disadvantage in Tekken. Heh.

Last edited:

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
We could debate all day about the size, but I can pretty safely say beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's not playable. It's clearly established that there's a boss on Pyrosphere, and I doubt Anthony Higgs is going to be shooting ice beams at you. I'm as disappointed about there not being a second Metroid rep as all of you and I think Ridley might have worked, but there's no reason to spread false hope.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
but I can pretty safely say beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's not playable.
Opinion and nothing more. If you're not willing to consider the anomalies, that's on you. Don't try and push your opinion into the realm of fact.

but there's no reason to spread false hope.
Who's "spreading" false hope? We all have our views and share them. Other people can take whatever they want out of the discussion. But that's all it is. Nobody here is nor should they be attempting to change other people's minds. It's all about probability.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Azazel isn't playable except with cheats though, and even then he's terribly unbalanced with his hitboxes. He's a boss for a reason.

True Ogre is very big but I don't think his size has to do with anything. He's the largest character, but unlike Ridley, his proportions don't get in the way. I don't think Ridley is too big, but I think his proportions is the real reason why he's hard to work with. His hitbox would be all over the place and he'd be EXTREMELY hard to balance, and I don't think the fact Ridley tends to change stances (particularly grounded) helps at all. Ogre is consistent. EDIT: I also forgot to mention Ogre's moveset is basically a mishmash of other characters' moves, meaning he was easy to work with. He does have a few moves of his own, only a few though.

Though funny that, the reason True Ogre is one of the worse characters in Tag 2 is because of his large hitbox making him vulnerable to a lot of things, which is a big disadvantage in Tekken. Heh.
While Ridley IS large, he is still kinda anorexic/skinny and his tail wouldn`t get in the way since its invincible in all of the games he appeared in other than SSBB while his wings aren`t as huge as Meta Ridley`s...at least classic is that skinny...Roidley is still kinda bulky, but has better proportions. Bowser has a large hitboxes and his...um...collision boxes is large as well and he isn`t broken nor terrible in gameplay. And its still possible to kick a** using terrible characters like Ogre or Gannondorf.

majora_787

Smash Hero
So many come by to troll and/or antagonize the Ridley thread, I swear. I wish there was a "dislike" button.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
While Ridley IS large, he is still kinda anorexic/skinny and his tail wouldn`t get in the way since its invincible in all of the games he appeared in other than SSBB while his wings aren`t as huge as Meta Ridley`s...at least classic is that skinny...Roidley is still kinda bulky, but has better proportions. Bowser has a large hitboxes and his...um...collision boxes is large as well and he isn`t broken nor terrible in gameplay. And its still possible to kick a** using terrible characters like Ogre or Gannondorf.
Roidley (that's Other M Ridley right?) works. Also Bowser has a large hitbox but not inconsistently so.

Ogre isn't terrible, no character in Tekken Tag 2 is because of the tag system. He got second place last EVO. You just gotta hit first otherwise you're screwed lol.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So many come by to troll and/or antagonize the Ridley thread, I swear. I wish there was a "dislike" button.
Or "shoot in the head" so we could promptly shoot everyone (like space pirates do) who doesn`t brings real arguments.
Roidley (that's Other M Ridley right?) works. Also Bowser has a large hitbox but not inconsistently so.

Ogre isn't terrible, no character in Tekken Tag 2 is because of the tag system. He got second place last EVO. You just gotta hit first otherwise you're screwed lol.
WHY should they be inconsistent? And if I, without any outside help, could balance Ridley for another fighter game (MUGEN) that has nothing to do with SSB from OVERPOWERED to balanced (but still capable of beating nearly everyone with right stategy) in 1 month, why wouldn`t entire team of profesional (there is grammar error, i know) do that faster and better?
And i didn`t played TTG2, only Tekken 3 and TTG1...is he THAT bad in those games?
Also, Ridley from SM is a little bit bigger than Ganondorf...so...why isn`t Ganny TOO BIG? Roidley is a bit bigger than SM Ridley and a lot bulkier with longer hands and bulkier legs (but not shorter)...but he can be downsized of course.

Last edited:

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I just don't understand why people still think he's going to be playable when they used Pyrosphere (which is pretty much just the Ridley boss room) as an example of a stage with a boss. It sucks, but I don't get why people still think he has a serious chance. We even saw his shadow, and it was massive, way bigger than a playable character.

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
I just don't understand why people still think he's going to be playable when they used Pyrosphere (which is pretty much just the Ridley boss room) as an example of a stage with a boss. It sucks, but I don't get why people still think he has a serious chance. We even saw his shadow, and it was massive, way bigger than a playable character.
The ridley we saw was the clone of ridley form Other M, Sakurai never said the name "ridley", or said that he's a hazard or boss, we only saw its shadow and tail, and he could have been reffering to the fact Ridley has been a boss in other games, and his shadow isn't too big, it's just zoomed in.
OMG LUIGI IS HUGE AND DONKEY KONG IS TINY! Wrong. Its just zoomed in on luigi.
And just because it looked kind of big, it doesn't mean its big, and the game was mute when sakurai went on to the part with ridley.

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The ridley we saw was the clone of ridley form Other M, Sakurai never said the name "ridley", or said that he's a hazard or boss, we only saw its shadow and tail, and he could have been reffering to the face Ridley has been a boss in other games, and his shadow isn't too big, it's just zoomed in.
OMG LUIGI IS HUGE AND DONKEY KONG IS TINY! Wrong. Its just zoomed in on luigi.
And just because it looked kind of big, it doesn't mean its big, and the game was mute when sakurai went on to the part with ridley.
Those are all pretty laughable arguments.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
The ridley we saw was the clone of ridley form Other M, Sakurai never said the name "ridley", or said that he's a hazard or boss, we only saw its shadow and tail, and he could have been reffering to the face Ridley has been a boss in other games, and his shadow isn't too big, it's just zoomed in.
This reminds me of when Tom Nook was seen on the Smashville stage. People said that Nook still had a chance even though he appeared, because you saw Tom Nooks in other towns, which was true. However, from a visual standpoint, it would be weird to fight Ridley as Ridley, when you never see more than one in a game. Again, this is Nintendo's take on it based on previous cases, not mine. I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with it. I think Ridley would have been a perfect fighter and while a bit of a challenge, he could have been made to work. If they can make a full moveset and balance Captain Falcon, a character that doesn't even leave his racer, they can do anything. It's a shame they didn't take the opportunity.

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
This reminds me of when Tom Nook was seen on the Smashville stage. People said that Nook still had a chance even though he appeared, because you saw Tom Nooks in other towns, which was true. However, from a visual standpoint, it would be weird to fight Ridley as Ridley, when you never see more than one in a game.
Well true, however Tom Nook never had a official clone, unlike Ridley, and what was wrong with their tom nook theory is that he never had any twins, clones, or look a likes exactly like him, and Ridley come in many shapes and sizes, and the Ridley we saw in the direct, is ,like I said earlier, the clone of Ridley, not the real Ridley.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Most of us are skeptical about the deal because of the way Ridley has been teased ever since Pyyrosphere reveal.

I mean, every NPC character we've seen so far has been presented in the same manner: the moment Sakurai reveals that character X is in the game, he immediately states that he/she's not going to be playable. There wasn't any stalling from Sakurai, he just went straight to the point.

Some of the anticipated newcomer playable characters, on the other hand, have been hinted ever so often for a long time, with no indication of said character's role in the game, if they even have one. Key example to this point would be Little Mac. We've been teased with the Boxing Ring stage ever since E3, and there was no mention of Little Mac. Some people, naturally, assumed Little Mac was a no go, as the Boxing Ring didn't seem to hail from Punch Out. Then, on February 13, he was announced as a playable character, and the Boxing Ring was confirmed to be his stage all along.

The same thing seems to apply to Ridley. Ever since Pyrosphere, there were hints here and there about Ridley, but no direct mention of him whatsoever. Even after being "confirmed" to be a boss, he was only seen as a shadow, and he wasn't even mentioned by name. In the same video Sakurai straightforwardly disconfirmed Saki, Samurai Goroh, Meowth, Ivysaur and Squirtle (?). Doesn't that raise even the slightest bit of suspicion to you?

NOTE: Palutena seems to be undergoing the same case, though things seem brighter for her than Ridley. Maybe being the goddess of light has more advantages than being a ruthless space dragon.

All in all, I may be right, and I may be wrong. Ridley hasn't exactly collapsed in terms of likelihood, but he's no longer that much of a lock anymore. So while some are sure of his inclusion, they also leave room for concern.

Last edited:
Top Bottom