• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Labeling Sakamoto as some pariah won't ease the sadness I've felt since the passing of Gunpei Yokoi. Yeah Sakamoto ****ed up, but I'm at least glad the series didn't stay dead after (and prior to) Prime. And I'd be lying if I said Tomodachi Life doesn't look interesting.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Man, watching people in this thread is always a surreal and vaguely terrifying but unsurprising experience. xD

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Sakamoto's first name is Yoshio? That's amusing..

As for that news, I don't think it means much about the possibility of a future Metroid title. Was he part of the Prime series' development?

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
You know how in the Ridley shadow his arms are down when flying? Ok he so goes off screen lands then jumps right at the very end before it fades out. Starts at 1:07 he goes off screen then he turns around and jumps with his arms in the air. If someone could screen cap it that would be great.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb35vh33Mb8

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
See, what I'm guessing will happen is this.
Ridley is the boss on the Pyrosphere.
If you beat him 20 times as Samus/ZSS, you face him as a Challenger, and if you beat him, you unlock him as playable, and Meta Ridley permanently becomes the new Stage Boss.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
YES YES !!! ALL MY F****** YES !!!

Best news of the day =D
How is this bad news, it is one of the best news I have read. Just lets Retro to handle next Metroid.

what the .... seriously ?!
am I the one who's sad about this news ?!
come on ! Sakamoto created the series !!!
without him NO samus , NO ridley , NO metroid !!!

show some respect please

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

show some respect please
Wait, didn`t he worked on SM and MOM only?

Edit: as wikipedia sez, he is a co-creator of the series. Then yes, its bad news...unless he would do something like in Other M again.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Ridley is either playable or an abomination (hazard/boss/whatever). Anything else is just extremely wishful thinking, even if it's Sakurai we're talking about. Also, that Youtube comment from a couple pages ago was the best thing I've read in this thread in like the last 70 pages.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Wait, didn`t he worked on SM and MOM only?
He created the series with Gunpei
He created all the Metroid games (also the plots)
He created Ridley's and Samus's artworks
He wrote the manga
and a lot of other things

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I don't get whats the bad news?:confused:

All I see so far anyway is the metroid series might be ending

Or if there is a new one its the sequel to other m

That's all I see in this

This does not deconfirm ridley in smash bros 4

EDIT oh ok the creator of metroid is passing it to retro that's not bad I'm sure retro is going to make sure its like the whole series

Oh and as for the ridley jumping thing I will take a picture but it's going to be tough it's probably right when it fades

I might check for proof at the very last part when it just fades going to be nightmarish though

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
If he did all that, why when he directed and wrote Other M, it became the black sheep of the entire franchise? he does not even remember his own source material...

Yeah, i may owe him Ridley...but he also f*** him up with Other M....so i do not forgive him

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord

show some respect please
I am thankfull to the guy but after Other M, I think that Metroid is in way better hands with Retro studio as far as I'm concerned.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
He created the series with Gunpei
He created all the Metroid games (also the plots)
He created Ridley's and Samus's artworks
He wrote the manga
and a lot of other things
Well...then its not really good news...unless he would do something like in OM.

By the way, if they would threw the plot out of the window, blame hyper beam for most of the upgrade loss, made samus being able to move while in 1st-person, cut everything out of the ridley scene other that him landing and samus turning on the visor, actually use concept art`s roidley head, would OM be a good game?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Metroid should be renamed Samus Aran and showcase other adventures without Ridley or Metroids. She can explore other Chozo planets with new suit upgrades. As a bonus, she should be able to scavenge parts of dead Ridley species to create a Ridley suit.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I prefer Retro for making Metroid myself, but it's kind of hilarious watching people bash this guy over the head with Other M for a number of reasons.

Whatever, I'm okay with waiting for Retro to make another Metroid. Or maybe it'll be handed off to someone else temporarily. Who knows.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I said there could be a suit made with deceased Ridley limbs and parts. So not totally without Ridley.

* Samus wearing a Ridley suit will be as close as you get to playing Ridley. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
You know how in the Ridley shadow his arms are down when flying? Ok he so goes off screen lands then jumps right at the very end before it fades out. Starts at 1:07 he goes off screen then he turns around and jumps with his arms in the air. If someone could screen cap it that would be great.

I will check but it's going to be tough tough I'm looking at 1:09 you need the blink of a eye speed of photo click of him coming back

Ps I'm wondering what part of the video pikachu escape ridley's grab?

majora_787

Smash Hero
I will check but it's going to be tough tough I'm looking at 1:09 you need the blink of a eye speed of photo click of him coming back

Ps I'm wondering what part of the video pikachu escape ridley's grab?
It's about 1:06. Pikachu's shadow is clearly visible but then disappears when Ridley flails around awkwardly without making any sort of throwing motion or anything.

EDIT: I think I actually see the jump, surprisingly. It looks like the shadow moves "up" toward the back of the Pyrosphere platform and then moves down again just before Ridley goes totally offscreen.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I said there could be a suit made with deceased Ridley limbs and parts. So not totally without Ridley.

* Samus wearing a Ridley suit will be as close as you get to playing Ridley. :ohwell:
...that sounds gross and wouldn`t samus try to blast everything left of him..?..at other hand she was basicly using remains of another space pirate for at least twenty minutes already...still no boss Ridley is something that usually indicates a not very good metroid game (M2, MP2, MPH).
About 2nd part: HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT IN THIS THREAD! "Disciples do not doubt their leader. Everyone who does so will be promptly shot. Toobigots will be shot too." Yeah, again.

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
I know you are going to hate me for this but ....
I hate the Prime series and I love Metroid Other M
Prime's plot is good but .... I hate 1st person games too much

AndreaAC ... DRAW THIS :demon:
(just for fun ... I hate that idea)

Last edited:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Labeling Sakamoto as some pariah won't ease the sadness I've felt since the passing of Gunpei Yokoi. Yeah Sakamoto ****ed up, but I'm at least glad the series didn't stay dead after (and prior to) Prime. And I'd be lying if I said Tomodachi Life doesn't look interesting.
Other M was still an enjoyable game despite the **** ups, if people stopped viewing the game as a downgrade from Prime and more of a throwback to the older entries, its reception would have been preceived somewhat better. And I can't help but wonder if your interest for Tomodachi partly stems from the fact that Samus x Iwata is now somewhat official... along with the numerous fanfics to follow.

majora_787

Smash Hero

I'm okay with Other M and I still think you're a bad person for making judgements on the Prime series' quaality because it's first person D:<

I'm half joking, but only half. :p

EDIT: Fire Emblem has the same problem. People view Shadow Dragon as if it is supposedly just a new game that is insanely low in quality when it's actually a remake of a really old game that is trying to stay true to it. People make weird comparison choices that just end in underrated and overrated titles everywhere.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Other M was still an enjoyable game despite the **** ups, if people stopped viewing the game as a downgrade from Prime and more of a throwback to the older entries, its reception would have been preceived somewhat better.
This is exactly how I feel. And by ****ed up, I meant that all the odd design/developer choices (Sakamoto not "recognizing" the Gravity Suit, writing off Prime as uncanon, etc.) and the poorly written plot (even then it didn't bug me THAT much). The game also suffered partly from Team Ninja and Nintendo's lack of coordination, but that's straying from the topic.

And I can't help but wonder if your interest for Tomodachi partly stems from the fact that Samus x Iwata is now somewhat official... along with the numerous fanfics to follow.
Reggie x Link. I can't be the only one picking up on that.

Steelia

Smash Champion

show some respect please
Pardon to the guy if this is demeaning, respect to him for helping out with Super Metroid, but sometimes the creators of popular franchises can take a turn for the worse. George Lucas created Star Wars; people respect him for that, but that doesn't mean anyone would want to see him make SW movies again after Episodes 1~3.

Was going to make a GIF of that... Looks like he's taking off/jumping. Hard to say.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Some kind of midair jump and back into a hover? It's hard to tell what is happening in these shadows 80% of the time. But still interesting.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

A SUIT MADE OF MANGLED RIDLEY???!!!

001 (2) - Copy.gif

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Sakamoto writing off Prime as uncanon
At other hand, there is ABSOLUTELY NO POINT in leaving Prime series` plot to be canon thanks to Samus and Phaaze being blown up by her because it divided all of the universe`s phazon by 0, so, its like it never existed now. BUT the game is kinda better than OM despite having even worse excuse for leaving Samus without her upgrades (it happened because of that extremely bada$$ explosion on the frigate).

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
xD i had thought the same about the Ridley's Final Smash being like Mega man's, well now i have an excuse to give Omega another try...even if im still with fear...but let's see how it comes out!

@BaganSmashBros IT LOOKS AWESOME! GOD, i mean i draw Brawl Ridley most of the time, i could never make Roidley look that AWESOME! and it is just the head! :3 congratulations!

@Ridley_Prime I think that is why im glad Ridley does not get humanized that often...
Tehe. ~ Or to be glad why Ridley doesn't get rule 63 stuff done of him that often, I suppose.

What about using Omega Ridley for that one suggestion/idea I had made awhile back? :c An image of him pulling a Mega Man final smash would most certainly be awesome too though.

Knowing how Sakamoto's been before, this doesn't really surprise me, but like others have said or as far as they're concerned, it's actually really good news.

Either they were just being modest, or they might have more on their plate besides DKC than we may realize, like perhaps Star Fox as mentioned. Huh.

This. Yokio's death is far sadder than any of Sakamoto's screwups, though Gunpei did intend Super Metroid to be the last game of the series, the end-all-be-all, so I'm glad too it didn't stay dead in the long run.

Sakamoto's first name is Yoshio? That's amusing..
Yes... Believe it or not, the dinosaur Yoshi's name was taken from Sakamoto's first name, which Miyamoto did as a homage to his friendship with the guy.

Top Bottom