• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
I would like to think that bosses, like Assist Trophies, are designated for more obscure or less popular characters. Where Ridley becomes playable, Kraid could be a boss.

I would like it if my example actually came into fruition.
And Kraid would be a great boss, especially if he was massive and multi-tiered. I'm picturing like in Brinstar Depths but to the side of the stage, such that you can jump on platforms and his stomach spikes to attack him directly. I think that'd be awesome!

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
And Kraid would be a great boss, especially if he was massive and multi-tiered. I'm picturing like in Brinstar Depths but to the side of the stage, such that you can jump on platforms and his stomach spikes to attack him directly. I think that'd be awesome!
That's exactly what I was thinking. Basically just make the boss fight in Zero Mission in HD, and with the ability to not be Samus. That would be glorious!

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Ladies and gentlemen, the LandRidley has finally come back to the Ridley thread!

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
@ Phaazoid Phaazoid Who says there isn't going to be bosses, dude? We might not get an SSE, but that doesn't rule out the possibilities of them appearing in the new Adventure mode.
I'd be careful. We still haven't seen what the 1-P mode will entail. There's still a good chance of bosses of some kind will come back. In fact, I'd be surprised if their weren't.

With that said, with my pessimism rampant, I haven't ruled out the possibility of Ridley being thrown into a stage hazard or boss. It is something Sakurai would do, especially if he felt it necessary to focus on developing other characters.

Ok, that's fair. We really don't know the single player mode details at all. I guess I hadn't thought of the possibility of them bringing bosses back just for adventure mode, or some separate boss fight mode (which the more I think about, the more I like, actually)

However, this doesn't actually derail the center of my argument, just adds in the possibility of Ridley appearing as a boss again. Personally though, I think Kraid would make a bitchin' boss fight.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Somehow, right now the only thing Miiverse Smash community talking about is Ridley

What did you expect? the Miiverse is motto:
Opinions = Facts
Facts = Irrelevant things
That'd mean opinions are irrelevant too. Which would contradict a lot of things.

Miiverse's logic is just THAT flawed.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
That'd mean opinions are irrelevant too. Which would contradict a lot of things.

Miiverse's logic is just THAT flawed.
And that is Miiverse in a nutshell.

I was arguing with some toobigots a little ago, and the only thing they could do was repeat the "too big" argument.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Somebody doesn't realize how fabulous Ridley is.

"MY OPINION IS FACT"
Of course it's fact. Have you never heard of this person? It's the very well respected leader of the Stupid Over-sized Space Dragon Brigade.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
zlCfzRcuoUA_I-0hql.png

We need Adam Malkovich as an assist trophy...
ALL SPECIALS ARE UNAUTHORIZED!:p

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
I want to say after Metroid Prime. I remember guys in junior high going "that purple dragon might be a character!" and it was generally accepted. Ridley was always one of the smaller bosses in Metroid but in Metroid Prime he "appeared" very large(though he isn't really that big in Prime). Fusion and Zero Mission however made him absolutely massive. During Brawl development those games were already out and it's as if smaller Super Metroid Ridley, Melee Ridley and OG Ridley just never happened. So when people asked for Ridley, the common response was "he's too big!" Just after Melee or even before I don't remember hearing those words once.
Oh...so it started as an actual "argument"?
I always thought it started as a joke that poeple began to take too seriously.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'd think Ridley is more likely to be announced at E3 than any other time.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I'd think Ridley is more likely to be announced at E3 than any other time.
Ya that's what I think will happen. I just hope they at least get rid of the option of him being on the pysrosphere as a stage hazard so we have nothing to worry about there.

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
Somehow, right now the only thing Miiverse Smash community talking about is Ridley

What did you expect? the Miiverse is motto:
Opinions = Facts
Facts = Irrelevant things
well can't argue on the fact that ridley is ugly yes

ridley can't be playable in smash 4 because he is too ugly

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I agree that Ridley will most likely be saved for E3, which sucks because that means we'll have to put up with the Toobigots' BS for several more months. :glare:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm going to go ahead and guess that there's going to be one more new character reveal before E3. just a guess obv, but it's been while since the last nintendo direct, so we'll probably get one more.

There's definitely a chance ridley could be revealed then. So maybe before E3 ^.^

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
View attachment 9963

We need Adam Malkovich as an assist trophy...
ALL SPECIALS ARE UNAUTHORIZED!:p
Are you really Shinru202 ? I follow you on Miiverse
sometimes you helped me to support him in my posts' comments ;)
however I love that idea of Adam ... when someone "uses" him the other characters can't use their special moves :colorful:

btw ...
I found other 2 things that Ridley and Little Mac may have in common
Masahiro confirmed LM for PunchOut's anniversary - Masahiro MAY will confirm Ridley for Super Metroid's anniversary
LM's final smash is GigaMac - Ridley's final smash MAY will be MetaRidley

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
You can't frame the question of smash's roster through a lens of Metroid's importance to Nintendo's history. There are so many characters from so many fandoms, many of which with legitimate claim to the roster, and Sakurai is not a biased man. In fact, he is very modest.

You really have to step into his shoes as much as possible. Lets frame together what we know.

From brawl we know that he is actively looking for ways other than playability to represent more of Nintendo's history, because he really cares about every fan, and doesn't want them to feel left out. Since there is no Emissary, there are not going to be boss characters this time around, which limits some of his representative resources.

However, stage hazards are still a large part of the game. More people play smash causally than competitively, by a longshot. Including a character as a stage hazard, from that standpoint, is much more than any assist trophy gets. Sure, it's shy of playability, but he's trying not to kill his dev team, let alone himself, with terrible chronic pain in both of his arms now.

I feel like from his stand point, while it may be disappointing to not make as many playable characters as he wishes, this is a ridiculously large game, there is so much to balance, and some sacrifices have more silver lining than others.

So please, from the perspective of a game developer, do not question Sakurai's competency, regardless of roster inclusions. There doesn't always have to be someone to blame. I doubt he's purposefully made any inherently wrong decisions about the game's content. On top of all of that pressure, Sakurai still makes sure to squeeze in an element of unpredictability, wii fit, because that is his style. It's part of what makes smash smash.

/rant
I suppose you're right. But to me, it still feels like a cheat to directly copy a stage mechanic from another fighting game, especially when said mechanic is one of the most popular fan requests in the world.

I also don't think Assist Trophies have it worse than stage hazards. At least Assist Trophies can be used everywhere across the game to the player's whim, to the point where it feels as though you can actually control them. It is the closest thing to actually having the secondary and/or minor characters duke it out with all the other All-Stars.

In spite of what I said, you're right that Sakurai can't squeeze everything into SSB4. Sometimes there are roles for characters that fit just right in the series. But I'm still not going to believe that everything Sakurai does is right. He makes mistakes, just like everyone else does.

We'll just have to find out if he's just teasing us about a potential newcomer. Speaking of which...

Somebody doesn't realize how fabulous Ridley is.

"MY OPINION IS FACT"

I...I'm ugly?
http://www.deviantart.com/#/art/Cute-Ridley-is-cute-78845256?hf=1

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

If Ridley does become a stage hazard, does that mean he won't appear in the 3DS version?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Heaven-forbid, but I imagine he'll be a trophy across both versions, or he'll appear in a different way in one of the 3DS stages.

Though at that point I'll be too 14-Year-Old Brand 100% Pure Top-Grade Buttmad to care.

Last edited:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
Are you really Shinru202 ? I follow you on Miiverse
sometimes you helped me to support him in my posts' comments ;)
however I love that idea of Adam ... when someone "uses" him the other characters can't use their special moves :colorful:

btw ...
I found other 2 things that Ridley and Little Mac may have in common
Masahiro confirmed LM for PunchOut's anniversary - Masahiro MAY will confirm Ridley for Super Metroid's anniversary
LM's final smash is GigaMac - Ridley's final smash MAY will be MetaRidley
Yeah, that's me...Super Metroid's 20th Anniversary is on 19 March...Hopefully, Sakurai considers adding Ridley...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
In spite of what I said, you're right that Sakurai can't squeeze everything into SSB4. Sometimes there are roles for characters that fit just right in the series. But I'm still not going to believe that everything Sakurai does is right. He makes mistakes, just like everyone else does.
that's why i said purposely wrong. I know everyone makes mistakes. After all, Ridley wasn't playable in brawl xD

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Yeah, that's me...Super Metroid's 20th Anniversary is on 19 March...Hopefully, Sakurai considers adding Ridley...
The roster would have been decided long ago. The only thing that could change that is with last minute additions (see Sonic in Brawl), or if time constraints cause low-priority characters to be cut***.

At this point, Ridley is either in the game, or he isn't - and since he'd be a high-priority Newcomer, they would have begun work on him early in the development process. The time for consideration has long since past, so it's now just a waiting game, alas.

***Ridley, belonging to Nintendo, would not risk being a late addition, unless Sakurai has a drastic change of mind/heart. And they wouldn't cut Newcomers before cutting lower priority Veterans. So if Ridley is indeed in the roster, his chances of making it through to the end are strong.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
The roster would have been decided long ago. The only thing that could change that is with last minute additions (see Sonic in Brawl), or if time constraints cause low-priority characters to be cut***.

At this point, Ridley is either in the game, or he isn't - and since he'd be a high-priority Newcomer, they would have begun work on him early in the development process. The time for consideration has long since past, so it's now just a waiting game, alas.

***Ridley, belonging to Nintendo, would not risk being a late addition, unless Sakurai has a drastic change of mind/heart. And they wouldn't cut Newcomers before cutting lower priority Veterans. So if Ridley is indeed in the roster, his chances of making it through to the end are strong.
True...yet many rumors say that Ridley would be a stage hazard like that one time in Dead-Or-Alive Dimensions...
I, for one, don't believe such rumors...Sakurai has not shown us any images of Ridley and I have a good feeling that Ridley would join the roster...
The Pyrosphere Quote "An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second" may imply strongly that Ridley will be a stage hazard...yet...the same quote could mean that Ridley would make an appearance as a playable character AT A LATER DATE...maybe a future Nintendo Direct?
Still...everything is pure speculation till this point...

Dragomire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GoodGuyCrocomire
thump_6368870ridley1.gif
I want them both, but this came up in my head for some reason all of the sudden :awesome:

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
A bit random, but still related

I had a strange dream about a game starring ridley last night. I hardly ever have dreams like that, but it was pretty much ridley landing on different planets (even one like earth) where he would gain power through eating people and tearing crap up the whole way through (monster hack and slash i guess). Even with some stealth sections where he would just swoop up random people. And for some reason his head was really big at the beginning, and its a bit hazy but i think he went through his transformations in an alien type scenario at the beginning but i cant quite remember.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
A bit random, but still related

I had a strange dream about a game staring ridley last night. I hardly ever have dreams like that, but it was pretty much ridley landing on different planets (even one like earth) where he would gain power through eating people and tearing crap up the whole way through (monster hack and slash i guess). Even with some stealth sections where he would just swoop up random people. And for some reason his head was really big at the beginning, and its a bit hazy but i think he went through his transformations in an alien type scenario at the beginning but i cant quite remember.
You been smoking them toads. :)

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
You been smoking them toads. :)
They can be smoked?

But yeah I thought it was strange myself, he's entered my subcontious. At some point I wish nintendo would give some of these characters their own off shoots, that can broaden the appeal of those brands with new genres. I always thought meta knight or bowser could manage a lead role in games of their own too.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
True...yet many rumors say that Ridley would be a stage hazard like that one time in Dead-Or-Alive Dimensions...
I, for one, don't believe such rumors...Sakurai has not shown us any images of Ridley and I have a good feeling that Ridley would join the roster...
The Pyrosphere Quote "An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second" may imply strongly that Ridley will be a stage hazard...yet...the same quote could mean that Ridley would make an appearance as a playable character AT A LATER DATE...maybe a future Nintendo Direct?
Still...everything is pure speculation till this point...
All of those "rumors" that suggest Ridley's a stage element only happened because they were made after the Pyrosphere was revealed. Before that, people would only say haphazard theories about his inclusion, whether he was a playable character or a boss. Theorists want to be on the safe side of things whenever they speculate on something, and this is something no less different.

They can be smoked?

But yeah I thought it was strange myself, he's entered my subcontious. At some point I wish nintendo would give some of these characters their own off shoots, that can broaden the appeal of those brands with new genres. I always thought meta knight or bowser could manage a lead role in games of their own too.
I think Ridley would make a really freakin' awesome protagonist in a spinoff action game. It'd be cool to find out more on how Space Pirates work and what their culture is like. If not, a comic book series would be cool too.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Any second? Are people still on about that? It took months for any sort of enemy to appear, and it was Mother Brain. Any second, my ass.

Top Bottom