• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It may seem I am being a bit strict, but I kind of have to be. I have not forgotten about what happened with all of the pre-Brawl Ridley support topics on this site. That is another reason (a small one albeit) I am hoping Ridley is confirmed at E3 2013 is so that this topic won't have to suffer the tidal wave of barely literate fanboys that will happen with a Smash 4 unveil.

If things work similar to how they were with pre-Brawl, all of the confirmed Smash 4 characters will get their own boards after their confirmation.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Anthony only survived because Ridley didn't actually try to kill him directly, but only sent him off the platform into the lava below to let him die by that.

Ridley didn't see much worth in getting his claws dirty with him. :smirk:
If anything Ridley should have killed Anthony to
further boost the Samus&Ridley Rivalry.

:phone:

nessokman

Smash Lord
I like to look at this from sakurai's prospective. He will want as many iconic and familiar characters as physically possible.

Sadly ZSS and power suit samus are the max we'll get.Although metroid is 25 years old, the've never been the most popular or at the top of nintendo's priority list. They usually don't sell all that well.(other m being about 500,000 units sold worldwide by November 2010,which was a letdown for Nintendo.)

Either way, nintendo seems to be giving up on metroid..The series hasn't had ANY attention since other M's flounder.If we get an announcement for Wii U metroid, that could potentially help its odds. Miyamoto himself talked about possibilities.

But as far as right now goes, you're dreaming if you think he has a chance against some of the competition.especially considering we won't have him in a game for another 3+ years. While there are zelda/pokemon/mario characters in NEWER games begging to take a spot.

-End rant-

D

Deleted member

Series hasn't gotten any sort of attention, eh?

Guess this wasn't in Nintendo Land.

D

Deleted member

Well, aren't we just special.
You can't just pick and choose what counts and doesn't.
You claimed that no attention has been given to the series since Other M, yet Metroid Blast is proof that your statement is false. As is the Zero Suit costume for Tekken Tag Team Tournament 2 and Dynasty Warriors VS., as well as the Geothermal Power Plant stage with the Ridley hazard and Samus cameo in Dead or Alive Dimensions.

They are all attention given to the series. It may not be the attention you want to personally see, but it counts nonetheless.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, aren't we just special.
You can't just pick and choose what counts and doesn't.
You claimed that no attention has been given to the series since Other M, yet Metroid Blast is proof that your statement is false. As is the Zero Suit costume for Tekken Tag Team Tournament 2 and Dynasty Warriors VS., as well as the Geothermal Power Plant stage with the Ridley hazard and Samus cameo in Dead or Alive Dimensions.

They are all attention given to the series. It may not be the attention you want to personally see, but it counts nonetheless.
Quote for truth!

Nintendo isn't going to forget Metroid any time soon.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I like to look at this from sakurai's prospective. He will want as many iconic and familiar characters as physically possible.
Which Ridley more than well fits the bill for.

Sadly ZSS and power suit samus are the max we'll get.Although metroid is 25 years old, the've never been the most popular or at the top of nintendo's priority list. They usually don't sell all that well.(other m being about 500,000 units sold worldwide by November 2010,which was a letdown for Nintendo.)
Smash has represented Nintendo franchises less popular than Metroid, whether it's like F-Zero, or even Metroid's overshadowed little sister known as Kid Icarus, so your point is less than moot. Star Fox has even been doing much worse than Metroid, and still got an additional character and stage in the last Smash game.

But as far as right now goes, you're dreaming if you think he has a chance against some of the competition.especially considering we won't have him in a game for another 3+ years. While there are zelda/pokemon/mario characters in NEWER games begging to take a spot.
These statements might've held more weight during pre-Brawl, but compared to then, Ridley doesn't have that much competition now.

Golden covered the rest. You can't simply decide for yourself what counts and what doesn't. Fact remains that Metroid has still gotten decent attention since after Other M, despite it still being the latest game in the series.

Also, no one cares that you hate Melee; your sig just makes you come off as an attention seeking troll.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, Donkey Kong's Crash Course is also considered a Donkey Kong game now I guess? :rolleyes:

We need a new Metroid. Easy as that. A new DK game as well. Nintendo Land is nice and all, but it isn't exactly a 'full game'.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
you should know very well I meant an actaul metroid game.not a Crappy, spinoff mini game in a ******** stupid park.
I liked Metroid Blast. It's a straightforward action shooter, and doesn't really feel like how a Metroid game should, but then again, neither did Other M. :p

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So, Donkey Kong's Crash Course is also considered a Donkey Kong game now I guess? :rolleyes:

We need a new Metroid. Easy as that. A new DK game as well. Nintendo Land is nice and all, but it isn't exactly a 'full game'.
Despite Metroid Blast and DK's Crash Course not being full games, they're at least something to enjoy until the next real thing. Would you rather have it be like it was on the Wii where there was NOTHING Metroid related until Prime 3 finally came out like a year later, for instance?

They give us freebies for DK and Metroid on the Wii U for a taste of things to come for those franchises and people still complain as though they get nothing? Get the **** over yourselves.

I liked Metroid Blast. It's a straightforward action shooter, and doesn't really feel like how a Metroid game should, but then again, neither did Other M. :p
How a Metroid game should feel is just opinion anyway. Other M felt like one to me though from a gameplay perspective at least, especially in how it took me back to the d-pad days of the series. But I liked Metroid Blast as well for the same reasons, from what little I played of it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Lol at people complaining about Metroid not getting enough attention.

Listen here, Metroid (while being a big franchise) isn't on par with Zelda and Mario as far as popularity, so really, there won't be as many games. Sure, it isn't a full game out of Nintendo Land, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been any attention to it. Thats just stupid.

Ridley will make it into Smash 4. He's one of the last iconic characters to not make it into the game, and not including him will cause quite the uproar indeed. Especially if the japanese fans are acknowledging the support for him, then the support for his inclusion will likely be noticeable.

Suffice to say: There is NO reason for Ridley to not be included.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
How a Metroid game should feel is just opinion anyway. Other M felt like one to me though from a gameplay perspective at least, especially in how it took me back to the d-pad days of the series. But I liked Metroid Blast as well for the same reasons, from what little I played of it.
I know, but IMO a Metroid game needs to be non linear. That's what seperates(or used to sperate it) it from being a generic action series. Metroid Blast was fun, but it wasn't fun for the same reason as, say, Super Metroid.

D

Deleted member

No one claimed it was considered a full game, genius.

Just that it was giving the series attention.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd prefer DK's JUNGLE course if anything. :rolleyes: Don't wanna wait till the real thing if the real thing will turn out to be something like Crash Course.

And I'll say it again, Other M had it's issues, but I did enjoy it quite a bit. Will replay it, and then start a Prime playthrough. To compare quality so to say. Am already playing Super Metroid, so why the hekc not?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I know, but IMO a Metroid game needs to be non linear. That's what seperates(or used to sperate it) it from being a generic action series. Metroid Blast was fun, but it wasn't fun for the same reason as, say, Super Metroid.
Of course. And I know what ya mean about linearity. I don't mind it though usually depending on how it's done. Prime 3 and Fusion were linear too, and the latter ironically is probably my most replayed sidescroller of the series, even though I respect others like Super Metroid more. But the recent trend of linearity with Metroid needs to stop now for awhile at least.

I'd prefer DK's JUNGLE course if anything. :rolleyes: Don't wanna wait till the real thing if the real thing will turn out to be something like Crash Course.
What makes you think it would?

As for your order of Metroid game playthroughs, yeah. I would say go for it.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Minigames and cameos count for nothing.a legit full game is what truly matters.I doubt sakurai knows or CARES about cameos of ZSS. While I love metroid with all of my heart, Ridley as a playable character is not likely.

Metroid is recognized as a western strong game. Japan doesn't care about it. Other m sold decently in Japan, but besides that metroid fandom is mostly in the west. We know Japan's players count more.

While miyamoto mentioned how the game pad could be used with metroid, and that he would like to see a metroid on Wii u, we have no confirmation of anew game.nintendo probably had metroid blast put in just to make it look like there is more.

Need I remind you that metroid's 25th birthday was in 2011.we got nothing about it. Zelda got a symphony and a new game. Metroid will always have a backseat in nintendo's eyes.

You're all right! Ridley should be in SSB4! As a boss. Like he usually is in almost EVERY game he's in

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Minigames and cameos count for nothing.a legit full game is what truly matters.I doubt sakurai knows or CARES about cameos of ZSS. While I love metroid with all of my heart, Ridley as a playable character is not likely.
Why doesn't having a minigame in NL count? IMO it seems that it matters, even just a little, since it shows Nintendo still sees potential in the franchise.

Also, keep in mind that Other M wasn't released that long ago by Nintendo standards(less than 3 years).

Need I remind you that metroid's 25th birthday was in 2011.we got nothing about it. Zelda got a symphony and a new game. Metroid will always have a backseat in nintendo's eyes.
I've heard the comparison that having an anniversary in the same year as Zelda is like having a birthday on Christmas. Yeah, I'm bummed we didn't get anything for Metroid either, but I can kinda understand, especially given that Metroid isn't exactly a huge seller for Nintendo.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Minigames and cameos count for nothing.a legit full game is what truly matters.
Who died and made you king of what matters?

I doubt sakurai knows or CARES about cameos of ZSS. While I love metroid with all of my heart, Ridley as a playable character is not likely.
You can't say for sure that he's not likely when you only are going off of your own doubts.

Metroid is recognized as a western strong game. Japan doesn't care about it. Other m sold decently in Japan, but besides that metroid fandom is mostly in the west. We know Japan's players count more.
Which is why we didn't get Pit or Ike in Brawl. Oh, wait a minute...

While miyamoto mentioned how the game pad could be used with metroid, and that he would like to see a metroid on Wii u, we have no confirmation of anew game.nintendo probably had metroid blast put in just to make it look like there is more.
...and?

Lots of anniversaries go by without news. Zelda is much bigger of a series by far, so of course they'd put more effort into it. Forgetting someone's birthday once doesn't mean the rest of their life will be made horrible.

You're all right! Ridley should be in SSB4! As a boss. Like he usually is in almost EVERY game he's in
What happened to you loving Metroid with all of your heart? You're grasping at straws for reasons that Ridley "isn't likely."

nessokman

Smash Lord
Who died and made you king of what matters?

You can't say for sure that he's not likely when you only are going off of your own doubts.

Which is why we didn't get Pit or Ike in Brawl. Oh, wait a minute...

...and?

Lots of anniversaries go by without news. Zelda is much bigger of a series by far, so of course they'd put more effort into it. Forgetting someone's birthday once doesn't mean the rest of their life will be made horrible.

What happened to you loving Metroid with all of your heart? You're grasping at straws for reasons that Ridley "isn't likely."
I said he should be a boss, not playable

While I am no "boss" of what is important, mimigames are just that. They Aren't serious canon games .hell you play as MII! Me being a metroid fan can't take that freaking seriously.

Metroid is better off than f-zero and ice climbers, but there are games with newer characters that I have no doubt nintendo and sakurai deem more important.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
While I am no "boss" of what is important, mimigames are just that. They Aren't serious canon games .hell you play as MII! Me being a metroid fan can't take that freaking seriously
Thing is, though, it gives Metroid(and Ridley) exposure to a wider audience. Metroid hasn't exactly been a hot seller, especially not fro the last few games, but NL is likely played by almost everyone who owns a Wii U. I also think it matters that Nintendo thought the series was deserving enough to be included.

And Metroid Blast is actually really fun.

D

Deleted member

Ridley should be a boss because that's all he's ever been in his series?
Ganondorf would like to have a word with you.

Oh, and if your retort is "Well Zelda is a bigger series hurr durr", you might as well leave this thread and never return.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Other M came out in 2010. It is 2013. Going by the trend the series has had since Prime/Fusion where a new game gets released or confirmed every 3+ or so years, there's little doubt at this point that there will at least be one more new Metroid before SSB4.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I want another metroidvania style game. It doesn't help that Castlevania doesn't make games anymore.

They had game after game on the DS

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I want another metroidvania style game. It doesn't help that Castlevania doesn't make games anymore.
??? I assume you mean Metroidvanias, since Castlevania has been quite prolific recently.

Anyway, yeah, a new Metroid that fully embraces non-linearity would be awesome. It's kinda sad that Metroid, despite inventing the Metroidvania genre, has been so reluctant to embrace nonlinearity.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I said he should be a boss, not playable

While I am no "boss" of what is important, mimigames are just that. They Aren't serious canon games .hell you play as MII! Me being a metroid fan can't take that freaking seriously.

Metroid is better off than f-zero and ice climbers, but there are games with newer characters that I have no doubt nintendo and sakurai deem more important.

For the record if you dont mind could you please state these characters names for me please.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I find it hard to believe that you could bring in a character that is more important to their series than Ridley. I mean characters who would have to compete with him for a spot.

He is literally one of two remaining Nintendo All-Star's that have yet to make the roster, K.Rool being the next in line. Besides that, there aren't really any characters that outdo Ridley's resume.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I find it hard to believe that you could bring in a character that is more important to their series than Ridley. I mean characters who would have to compete with him for a spot.

He is literally one of two remaining Nintendo All-Star's that have yet to make the roster, K.Rool being the next in line. Besides that, there aren't really any characters that outdo Ridley's resume.
Hmm yh exzactly I was thinking Mewtwo but hes a bit tricky as in no one represents pokemon..if anything Pikachu or Ash..or Both xD lulz..

nessokman

Smash Lord
Ridley really doesn't have much of a resume.im rusty on Ridley history, but besides being samus' arch enemy and stealing a baby metroid, he doesn't have much.like I said I'm not entirely sure. I haven't payed any attention to him until now.*goes to research ridley*

D

Deleted member

Ridley is why Samus is a bounty hunter to begin with.
Had he not attacked her home planet and kill her own mother right in front of her, Samus would just be a regular woman.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Not quite.ridley was with the space pirates and mother brain was their leader.had Ridley not been there, it would have been kraid...

The chozo are to blame. Ridley was working for mother brain, which according to the manga they made to watch zebes and the metroid's they made.the chozo created metroid's to combat Parisite x on sr388. When samus wiped out the metroid's on sr388, the Parisite had room to grow to the extreme, thus causing alot of events in fusion. So by making mother brain AND metroid's, the chozo should be credited lol

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Except Ridley is Samus's rival because he killed her parents. So he IS important, because he caused her to seek revenge, and hunt down the Space Pirates.

If anyone is to make it into Smash from Metroid, it will be Ridley. Kraid is literally too big, and Mother Brain couldn't really work.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Except Ridley is Samus's rival because he killed her parents. So he IS important, because he caused her to seek revenge, and hunt down the Space Pirates.

If anyone is to make it into Smash from Metroid, it will be Ridley. Kraid is literally too big, and Mother Brain couldn't really work.
Ridley is massive! Either way the main point I was trying to convey is that the death of her parents is ironically the chozo's fault.chozo for ssb4!!!!!!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Except he can be resized, as he has been in different Metroid installments. And blaming the Chozo for her parents death is a cop out argument. Ridley literally killed her parents. HE was the one to commit the act. He is the one who Samus hunts down, hence why he is so iconic. Even if it is the Chozo's fault, that is quite irrelevant due to the fact that the basis of most of the story is Samus's and Ridley's hate for one another.

Comparing Ridley to Kraid or Mother Brain's size is ridiculous as well. Kraid has to be a few times larger than Ridley, so comparing them isn't doable. Mother Brain has very VERY little potential as a fighter also.

D

Deleted member

Ridley is theoretically 2nd-in-command of the Space Pirates, given that it is stated that he WAS the leader until Mother Brain took command.
And games where Mother Brain is not present while Ridley is (which is MANY), Ridley is the leader.
Both of them and the late Gray Voice (who died after his betrayal) make up the High Command. Kraid is nowhere near that. All he is is just a guardian.

EDIT: Chozo are also responsible for Samus' abilities and armor. Clearly THEY need to be in and not her. :rolleyes:
And the size argument for Ridley is ********; his size is completely inconsistant EVEN WITHIN BRAWL.
As for Kraid, he's only been small in one game, and Mother Brain has always been a large ugly piece of grey matter.
Kraid is hardly iconic, and Mother Brain pales in importance to the series compared to Ridley and is also harder to envision as a workable fighter.

EDIT2: Also, I'm pretty sure Mother Brain wasn't part of the Pirates during the attack on Samus' homeworld.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ridley is theoretically 2nd-in-command of the Space Pirates, given that it is stated that he WAS the leader until Mother Brain took command.
And games where Mother Brain is not present while Ridley is (which is MANY), Ridley is the leader.
Both of them and the late Gray Voice (who died after his betrayal) make up the High Command. Kraid is nowhere near that. All he is is just a guardian.

EDIT: Chozo are also responsible for Samus' abilities and armor. Clearly THEY need to be in and not her. :rolleyes:
And the size argument for Ridley is ********; his size is completely inconsistant EVEN WITHIN BRAWL.
As for Kraid, he's only been small in one game, and Mother Brain has always been a large ugly piece of grey matter.
Kraid is hardly iconic, and Mother Brain pales in importance to the series compared to Ridley and is also harder to envision as a workable fighter.

EDIT2: Also, I'm pretty sure Mother Brain wasn't part of the Pirates during the attack on Samus' homeworld.
Thank you Golden. Luckily you know more about Metroid than I do so it helps the argument.

I don't really see what there is to argue. I think anyone who argues against Ridley just doesn't want to like what everybody else likes. Its stupid.

D

Deleted member

What we need is for the Strong one to come and put this guy in his place.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe Ridley should be a stage. Everyone could be fighting on his back and stuff.

Top Bottom