• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

If it has nothing to do with Ridley, regardless of it being from DataDrain, it is off-topic to this thread.

Even if it's Dark Samus.

Also, stop posting mobile videos, use the regular links.

D

Deleted member

Super Insensitive is my middle name.

Golden Super Insensitive Yuiitusin.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Its really sad, I distinctly remember really anticipating Ridley for Smash 3 back in 2003, a decade ago. I really felt this way due to the Ridley's new appearances in Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion, and how much more popular he was becoming. To think a decade later, I would still be waiting on him.

I will go a bit off-topic, here, but I don't like the game market nowadays. I am trying to think of games that were made during this generation that I really liked, and they were pretty much all Mario platformers (Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2, and NSMBWii) and Smash Bros. Brawl. Metroid Prime 3 and Kirby's Return to Dream Land were really good, but Prime 3 was a step down compared to Prime 1 and Prime 2. This generation was definitely my least favorite one for me. Right now the only game I am even looking forward to and hyped for Smash 4.

Back on topic, I still find it amusing how Ridley has been my number one most wanted character ever since Melee was unveiled (I wanted Ridley even before that though, however, it was only until the Melee trailer that I thought he had a decent shot), yet all these years later I am still waiting on him.

I would say of all the major fanbases for newcomers for Smash 4, the Ridley one has been the one that has been waiting the longest. K. Rool's fanbase did not really become notable until late 2007 after Diddy Kong was confirmed. Mega Man did not have a fanbase for Smash Bros. until mid-2006.

I would really like to see if there were any other long-time Ridley fans still around before even Brawl was announced. There were Ridley fans even during the pre-Melee days (that appearance in the Melee trailer was a large reason for it), however, I doubt any other pre-Melee Ridley fans other than myself are around anymore unfortunately.

I know we have a few pre-Brawl Ridley fans that came to support Ridley after Brawl's announcement (Oasis_S and Ridley_Prime) though I am curious if there are any Ridley fans left from prior to the Brawl unveil. Though in general, there are very few Smash fans in general that are still around today that were around prior to Brawl's unveil.

To think the wait could very well come to an end five months from now. Rejoice fellow Ridley fans. Our time is close at hand.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Its really sad, I distinctly remember really anticipating Ridley for Smash 3 back in 2003, a decade ago. I really felt this way due to the Ridley's new appearances in Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion, and how much more popular he was becoming. To think a decade later, I would still be waiting on him.

I will go a bit off-topic, here, but I don't like the game market nowadays. I am trying to think of games that were made during this generation that I really liked, and they were pretty much all Mario platformers (Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2, and NSMBWii) and Smash Bros. Brawl. Metroid Prime 3 and Kirby's Return to Dream Land were really good, but Prime 3 was a step down compared to Prime 1 and Prime 2. This generation was definitely my least favorite one for me. Right now the only game I am even looking forward to and hyped for Smash 4.

Back on topic, I still find it amusing how Ridley has been my number one most wanted character ever since Melee was unveiled (I wanted Ridley even before that though, however, it was only until the Melee trailer that I thought he had a decent shot), yet all these years later I am still waiting on him.

I would say of all the major fanbases for newcomers for Smash 4, the Ridley one has been the one that has been waiting the longest. K. Rool's fanbase did not really become notable until late 2007 after Diddy Kong was confirmed. Mega Man did not have a fanbase for Smash Bros. until mid-2006.

I would really like to see if there were any other long-time Ridley fans still around before even Brawl was announced. There were Ridley fans even during the pre-Melee days (that appearance in the Melee trailer was a large reason for it), however, I doubt any other pre-Melee Ridley fans other than myself are around anymore unfortunately.

I know we have a few pre-Brawl Ridley fans that came to support Ridley after Brawl's announcement (Oasis_S and Ridley_Prime) though I am curious if there are any Ridley fans left from prior to the Brawl unveil. Though in general, there are very few Smash fans in general that are still around today that were around prior to Brawl's unveil.

To think the wait could very well come to an end five months from now. Rejoice fellow Ridley fans. Our time is close at hand.
Well i have always been a massive smash fan since melee but never joined any smash forums untill now..so i dunno if you can count me a ''True smash fan'' in your eyes.

But ibarely join any forums tbh..i admire your courage you have strived for very long chrono bound you are without a doubt the true ridley warrior.

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He's also a strong Roy warrior though. :roymelee:

But yeah, as a Impa warrior myself, and before a much stronger Diddy warrior, I can relate to you a lot ChronoBound.

Hence, I thought about helping y'all out a little. People seem to hate the Other M Ridley, but I think he's a blessing in disguise! That body is wayyyy better to turn into a playable fighter than any Ridley we've seen before. They just need some serious plastic surgery on his head, and he'd make a good playable character.

And tbh, I think they where just trying out some flying characters in Brawl with Pit, MetaKnight and Charizard. They could've done better, and perhaps Ridley was just too big of a step forward for them?

Though if you have to be really honest with yourself, Brawl did have newcomers more worthy than Ridley as Meta Knight, King DeDeDe, Diddy, Wario... Lot's of people would've expected these characters to be in since Smash 64! So you've not been waiting the longest. Not yet. Brawl had a lot of characters who where really needed. Plus some cool extras as Olimar, Ike, Pokemon Trainer... We should be happy already Metroid fans where not completely ignored with Zero Suit Samus. Because wether you like it or not, Samus is still character #1 in Metroid. The whole franchise is basically about her. Ridley is second.

In this way, Ridley is pretty much in the same boat as King K.Rool. DK and Metroid have always felt unrepresented despite being very popular series, but only got a newcomer in Brawl. DK and Diddy are both the most important characters in the series, and Samus is also the most important character in her series. Finally they feel SOMEWHAT well represented, and it's likely they will get a new character since Kirby and StarFox also have 3. They just didn't have the time to include both K.Rool and Ridley in Brawl, and tbh it might've been a bit too much.

So don't worry. If they want Ridley in, they'll program Ridley in. No doubt if they consider a Metroid character this time, they'll HAVE to take a serious look at Ridley. So that coupled with a lot of fan demand will make it quite obvious what the team needs to do. But yeah, they need to seriously plan him out not to be broken (for better or worse, he could end up MK-good or Pichu-bad easily). I'm pretty much for Ridley for this reason alone: I wanna see how experienced the Smash team has become. And Ridley seems like 'the ultimate challenge'.

Just my 2cents.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Though if you have to be really honest with yourself, Brawl did have newcomers more worthy than Ridley as Meta Knight, King DeDeDe, Diddy, Wario... Lot's of people would've expected these characters to be in since Smash 64! So you've not been waiting the longest. Not yet. Brawl had a lot of characters who where really needed.
There was not much waiting on Meta Knight since Smash 64 (for the West, his last appearance was Kirby Super Star which was released in 1996), and King Dedede was much more requested than him due to being more prominent in most of the Kirby games (especially Kirby 64 where he was a playable character). Meta Knight really did not take off in requests until after Melee's release were being a playable character in Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land and Kirby's Air Ride did massive bounds for his popularity. Before then, it was King Dedede that was seen as the next one in line for a Kirby spot, but those two games changed that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, all I'm saying is that King DeDeDe and Meta Knight are far better 'key' characters in Kirby than Ridley is in Metroid. And to me, Zero Suit Samus was good enough as far as a Metroid newcomer was concerned. I think you got the message I was saying though...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's implied that Ridley was not intended to be playable at any point in the development of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, if the interview from Nintendo Power and in game coding says anything.

King K. Rool is more ambiguous though.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well, all I'm saying is that King DeDeDe and Meta Knight are far better 'key' characters in Kirby than Ridley is in Metroid. And to me, Zero Suit Samus was good enough as far as a Metroid newcomer was concerned. I think you got the message I was saying though...
Ridley is just as important to Metroid as King Dedede and Meta Knight are to Kirby. Heck, Ridley has a better attendance rate in the Metroid games than Meta Knight does in the Kirby games.

The overwhelming majority of Metroid were very angry that Zero Suit Samus got in over Ridley. It would have been the equivalent of Funky Kong getting in over Diddy Kong for Brawl.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I disagree. Metroid is more about Samus' quest alone. Yes, Ridley has some good personal backstory with Samus, and yes, for those who know this does indeed make their fated encounters way more epic but lately I've seen the negative points about Ridley as well.

He's like MetaKnight in a way, a rival / enemy with a strong personal bond with the main character, but unlike MetaKnight, Ridley seems to be way more 'simple'. He also never would turn good, he's mainly just there to destroy destroy destroy. Say about Other M what you want, but Ridley was more involved in that game than he was in any of the other stories in Metroid. Sure, we was leaders of the Space Pirates and all, but does he have a real personality in the games outside of the manga? I really think not. Hence why it's much harder to think of him as an 'All Star'.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I disagree. Metroid is more about Samus' quest alone. Yes, Ridley has some good personal backstory with Samus, and yes, for those who know this does indeed make their fated encounters way more epic but lately I've seen the negative points about Ridley as well.

He's like MetaKnight in a way, a rival / enemy with a strong personal bond with the main character, but unlike MetaKnight, Ridley seems to be way more 'simple'. He also never would turn good, he's mainly just there to destroy destroy destroy. Say about Other M what you want, but Ridley was more involved in that game than he was in any of the other stories in Metroid. Sure, we was leaders of the Space Pirates and all, but does he have a real personality in the games outside of the manga? I really think not. Hence why it's much harder to think of him as an 'All Star'.
You are grasping at straws.

Ridley pretty much drove the plot for Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Metroid Zero Mission, and Metroid Other M.

I also think the "he is not complicated in terms of personality" is really unfair, especially when we have had Ganondorf/Ganon since Melee, and the only game in the series were he showed any depth at all was Wind Waker, and Zelda is far more of a story driven series than Metroid is.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I never quite got the "Metroid is mainly a story focused on Samus herself" argument. It doesn't negate that there ARE still other characters in her story, and it also ignores that Ridley was the main driving force in Samus becoming who she is. In a way, framing it around Samus kind of makes Ridley even more important.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Chrono
What Diddy meant was that Meta Knight is something a hero, anti-hero, and villain, whereas Ridley is strictly a villain. Plus, unlike Ridley, Meta Knight has been playable in Kirby games a plethora of times, and gets a lot more face time than Ridley does in Metroid.

As for Ridley driving the story, he's an important part of the Metroid story, but the ultimate story of Metroid is like the move it is most inspired by, Alien: It's about the main character versus the threat more than anything else. Ridley is an important factor in that, but he isn't a factor that the weight of the series is carried by quite like Samus' "me against the world" attitude and approach.

Also, I don't think Diddy meant any offense man. No reason to get so upset with him over him expressing his view on a civil manner.
I am curious what other Ridley supporters think, but to me Ridley is basically one of the last Nintendo characters that is not yet playable that could be labelled an "all-star". Ridley has been in his franchise since the very beginning, has made an appearance in almost every installment to it, and is the arch-nemesis for the series main antagonist.
I think Ridley, along with K. Rool, Dixie Kong, and Little Mac are the last true Nintendo-owned "All-Stars" to have never been playable in Smash Bros. Sure, more new Pokémon will reach that status, new or developing series will develop stars, and there are other characters that you could argue now or at one point could be labelled that (specifically Toad and Isaac), but as it stands, those 4 are the last "stars" left.
Really, at this point there are very few Nintendo characters left that match the caliber of the ones added for Brawl.
We're gonna get less newcomers, so that's not gonna be a huge problem. If those 4 are mentioned are added, plus the whole Brawl roster, Mewtwo, Mega Man, and Pac-Man, that's a 46 character roster, and is a roster that nearly complete. Add 2-8 more characters, and you can call it a day.

I don't think many pre-Melee Smash fans who posted on the internet before Melee was released about what they wanted in Melee are around at all, period. That was over 11 years ago. I tend to be one of the older people on here, and I was 10 then. Most of these posters now are a bit younger than I, so you can expect a bit of a generation gap. Still, many of our most vocal Ridley pre-Brawl fans are still around in you, me, Diddy, Oasis, Psycho, Ridley Prime, and a few others as well.
I think we're at least a few months out to seeing newcomers. The way I see it, we may or may not get a trailer (with no more than 3 newcomers) at E3, but we will definitely get a trailer by the end of November. I'm not sure if we'll get newcomers per say in those trailers, but we'll definitely get a WHOLE LOT of something.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You are grasping at straws.

Ridley pretty much drove the plot for Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Metroid Zero Mission, and Metroid Other M.

I also think the "he is not complicated in terms of personality" is really unfair, especially when we have had Ganondorf/Ganon since Melee, and the only game in the series were he showed any depth at all was Wind Waker, and Zelda is far more of a story driven series than Metroid is.
Thing still remains that he can easily be considered 'just a boss'. I wouldn't consider GANON for example to be much worthy of a playable character either, but Ganondorf is fine. It's looking between the lines. And if you read my first post you would've known I supported Ridley. But from a different standpoint than most.

Anyways, seems like y'all still can't take criticism. Said all I wanted to say on the mather. And I'm not 'gasping at straws' much more than you are in all actuality.

Mark my words: don't expect too much, it leads to dissapointment.

Peace.

@John: You basically said what I meant all along, but explained on it better. Needless to say, I completely agree.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
The majority of characters in Brawl, I do consider more important to the roster than Ridley. But with that being said I agree that now his competition is all gone. Him, Dixie, K Rool and Little Mac, I will agree with, are the last true Nintendo All Stars.

Sakurai is very aware of him and that's wonderful. In each game his presence grows and grows. I believe with certainty he was never truly considered as a playable character until now. When searching for Metroid characters there is no way Sakurai completely ignored him and judging by his reaction during the 08 interview, he looked at Ridley for a moment and thought it might be too much work. Though the reasons are stupid, Ridley has been debated to death since before Melee came out and chances are Sakurai debated with himself on the subject even if super briefly.

Whether Ridley makes it in or not, I fully expect an attempt this time around.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I am curious what other Ridley supporters think, but to me Ridley is basically one of the last Nintendo characters that is not yet playable that could be labelled an "all-star". Ridley has been in his franchise since the very beginning, has made an appearance in almost every installment to it, and is the arch-nemesis for the series main antagonist.

I can't think of any other character for any Nintendo series already represented with a playable character that has the resume that Ridley has that is not yet playable.

I think the characters coming next after Ridley would probably be Toad and K. Rool.

Really, at this point there are very few Nintendo characters left that match the caliber of the ones added for Brawl.
Yeah, my thoughts aren't really much different from yours (if any) as far as that.

I liked Prime 3 better than Prime 2 despite some of the things the latter did better, and in addition to the Mario Galaxies, DKC Returns is also pretty worthy of mention despite the sad absence of Kremlings. But aside from that and what else I can remember, I agree with you on this generation as far as Nintendo and their drop in quality, ignoring the direction they took for casuals/non-gamers over us and the drama over Rareware.

Back to the topic, I didn't think about it much at the time, but I did sort of want Ridley in Smash before Melee, though didn't think he had much of a chance at the time either, and was just happy enough that there were others like Mewtwo unveiled. But the way Melee eventually produced people who took competitiveness with the series too far such as the tourney***s, tier Nazis, egomaniacs and elitists, etc. was mostly what kept me from wanting to join this or any other Smash related site until it became more about anticipating Smash's 3rd game. I don't regret that decision, as it would've sucked the fun right out of Melee for me, and even some of the things I did learn from those freaks like wavedashing I couldn't be bothered to use too much when replaying the game. I like being competitive as much as the next person, but if it boils down to only using characters like Fox because everyone else "sucks", then the point of even playing the game is lost.

As far as Ridley, it wasn't until the revival of the Metroid franchise with Prime/Fusion in 2002, in addition to the Zero Mission manga shown on Metroid's official site before ZM itself was released which forever changed how people saw Ridley's and Samus's rivalry, that I really saw him for what he was worth as a character and Nintendo icon. That said, your Ridley support for Smash might pre-date mine a little. I mean I saw some potential for him in Super Metroid when I played it like a year after it came out as I got my SNES, but beyond possibly having a deeper connection with Samus than even Mother Brain because of him taking the Metroid hatchling, I didn't know what else to think of him at the time, or what exactly to think when he was shown in the Melee trailer a year before Metroid's revival. My memory of it's kinda fuzzy now, but I probably didn't think he would be a playable addition at that time with how dead Metroid was until Prime/Fusion. Brawl though, I saw no excuse for of course.

He's also a strong Roy warrior though. :roymelee:

But yeah, as a Impa warrior myself, and before a much stronger Diddy warrior, I can relate to you a lot ChronoBound.

Hence, I thought about helping y'all out a little. People seem to hate the Other M Ridley, but I think he's a blessing in disguise! That body is wayyyy better to turn into a playable fighter than any Ridley we've seen before. They just need some serious plastic surgery on his head, and he'd make a good playable character.
I don't hate Other M Ridley for the record, except for maybe how the head looked, but when playing the game itself I got over it with how epic his boss battle felt. And I agree that he could possibly be a blessing in disguise as a fighter. Some of the new attacks/abilities he displayed that no other Ridley had before were pretty fresh, but since people are often more concerned at how Ridley would look design-wise over moveset potential if anything from Other M is included in Sm4sh, I kinda keep Other Ridley discussion on a low profile.

Ridley is just as important to Metroid as King Dedede and Meta Knight are to Kirby. Heck, Ridley has a better attendance rate in the Metroid games than Meta Knight does in the Kirby games.

The overwhelming majority of Metroid were very angry that Zero Suit Samus got in over Ridley. It would have been the equivalent of Funky Kong getting in over Diddy Kong for Brawl.
Couldn't agree more, especially on the ZSS part and Funky Kong comparison. Truer words have probably never been spoken on the matter.

I never quite got the "Metroid is mainly a story focused on Samus herself" argument. It doesn't negate that there ARE still other characters in her story, and it also ignores that Ridley was the main driving force in Samus becoming who she is. In a way, framing it around Samus kind of makes Ridley even more important.
Also this...

Fair enough on your points though John. No offense taken from what Diddy was saying; saw where he was coming from with like Meta Knight at least, but when one tries to justify Fanservice Samus's inclusion over Ridley's in Brawl then I usually tend to disagree with their logic, more often than not.

edit:

Thing still remains that he can easily be considered 'just a boss'. I wouldn't consider GANON for example to be much worthy of a playable character either, but Ganondorf is fine. It's looking between the lines. And if you read my first post you would've known I supported Ridley. But from a different standpoint than most.

Anyways, seems like y'all still can't take criticism. Said all I wanted to say on the mather. And I'm not 'gasping at straws' much more than you are in all actuality.

Mark my words: don't expect too much, it leads to dissapointment.

Peace.
At this point Ridley can only be considered "just a boss" to those who aren't very knowledgeable on the series or don't know about the background with Ridley and Samus.

I never accused you of gasping at straws so don't be directing that comment at all of us, if that's what you were doing.

This kinda goes without saying, but not expecting too much I think is something most of us learned after Brawl.

And I can take criticism, given that said criticism has valid points.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was directing at Chrono, not to every Ridley supporter. I know most of y'all are chill.

Ganon isn't 'just a boss' either, and also appeared since the beginning of the series. Yet I don't find him worthy of being in Smash as a playable character, outside of coarse GanonDORF's Final Smash. It's looking between the lines, as I said before.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I disagree... Funky Kong isn't that relevant (important) to the Donkey Kong series whereas Zero Suit Samus is still Samus herself... and that makes her more important to the Metroid series than Ridley is. The comparison is really unfair to Zero Suit Samus. Even in Melee, Sakurai planned to add just Zelda and Sheik and NOT add Ganondorf at all... but hey, Sheik is Zelda and that makes her more important than Ganondorf is, right? :awesome: (parroting reasons why Sheik shouldn't be replaced by Impa).

There's also that the majority of characters in Smash have been playable in their franchises. The only exceptions are Ganondorf, Zelda, Sheik, and maybe Falco and Wolf (I haven't played multiplayer in Star Fox 64 yet). Out of those, Sakurai added Zelda/Sheik because he thought the transformation gimmick would make them unique (and at least Zelda was playable in two of those CDi Zelda games :troll:)... and the rest were only added in as last-minute clones. If Sakurai comes up with an idea to make Ridley unique, he will add him in Smash, otherwise, he's not going to bother adding him at all. Sakurai doesn't add characters just because they are important or popular. Ridley is not Sonic.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

I was just gonna touch up on that but you sorta beat me to it. You both got good points.

Chronobounds rights as in Ridley is as important then DeDeDe and Metaknight in there own series.

And you Diddy i see what you mean the lack of personality Ridley has/shows hinders him. His Size & Lack of character are the two guns haters target him with i bet in a heart beat if Ridley was more Vocal he would make it in no matter what!!! Hell he would have defo been in Melee or Brawl.

Sigh..thats sad then..knowing Ridley will only be playable if Sakurai can think of and be bothered to make him unique..

That is soo stupid..but true i guess...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ridley definitely had legit peers pre-Brawl. Now that most of those legit peers have been playable in Smash, the only Nintendo-owned character yet to appear in Smash anywhere near as big is K. Rool. Everyone else, Ridley is more important to Nintendo than, and more desired.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not just lines, Phazon... Ridley could also need some more cutscene time. And even be more related to the story then he was before. Metroid pretty much only focusses on Samus and her survival as John said last page, it's all about Samus. Metroid games are basically an ego trip for Samus so to say. :p

Ridley would be awesome but he isn't really an All Star yet. Just an important, re-occuring boss battle in Metroid, with a dark history. Though this hasn't been worked with even within in the games... AND WHEN IT HAPPENS PEOPLE COMPLAIN SAMUS IS BEING A SENSITIVE *****? Other M did a lot of things in the right direction, yet it wasn't so good fleshed out in the end.

Or: people expected it too much to be the best game ever...

Which it even had the potential to be. If done just a little better. Definitely would've been one of the Wii's classics.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I see no reason why Ridley wouldn't be considered an all-star when Ice Climber and R.O.B. are considered all-stars.

Metroid and Samus herself would not be the same without Ridley. Give him a shot!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well if you want me saying something more positive regarding Ridley, his rivality between him and Samus was best fleshed out in the Melee intro and SSE cutscene imo
(Pikachu made a cameo to show him who's the original Pokemon though ;) )
so yeah. He was at least introduced well enough in Brawl to Smash fans with 2 boss battles. Also, outside of all excisting characters not playable, he, Porky and Palutena had strong involving roles in the SSE. I'm not saying he's impossible, but I'm not really putting too much faith into him being in Smash either.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I can respect that. I have to acknowledge that there is a large chance he may not appear as well.

I'd give him around a 60% chance of appearing as a character.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Samus would technically not exist except for Ridley, because it is his evil nature that killed samus mom and left her to die. A trooper would have killed them both, but Ridley was essentially the reason she became a bounty hunter
Samus wouldn't exist without his impact in her life
There is your back story

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I was directing at Chrono, not to every Ridley supporter. I know most of y'all are chill.

Ganon isn't 'just a boss' either, and also appeared since the beginning of the series. Yet I don't find him worthy of being in Smash as a playable character, outside of coarse GanonDORF's Final Smash. It's looking between the lines, as I said before.
Ah, okay. You're fine then and I kinda see where you're coming from more now too.

I disagree... Funky Kong isn't that relevant (important) to the Donkey Kong series whereas Zero Suit Samus is still Samus herself... and that makes her more important to the Metroid series than Ridley is.
By that same logic, Pichu is still Pikachu but just in an earlier lifecycle, so that makes him as important and essential as the mascot himself. Pichu's getting in Sm4sh over Mewtwo, Lucario, and any 5th or 6th gen folks!

But really now, what has Samus ever done in her Zero Suit form that puts her above Ridley in importance, with everything he's done? ZSS was added simply because she would be fanservice to promote/hype the game, and because sex appeal sells, not because the Zero Suit form itself had more significance than Ridley.

Sakurai doesn't add characters just because they are important or popular. Ridley is not Sonic.
^ You yourself even mention that Sakurai doesn't add characters because of importance alone, which is true.

Ridley doesn't have to be Sonic to be added though of course, and importance & popularity are actually indeed factors for adding in characters, just not the sole reason, with the exception of Sonic in popularity.

Even in Melee, Sakurai planned to add just Zelda and Sheik and NOT add Ganondorf at all... but hey, Sheik is Zelda and that makes her more important than Ganondorf is, right? :awesome: (parroting reasons why Sheik shouldn't be replaced by Impa).
It can be argued that Ganondorf's as important as Zelda (with Link being more important than both) due to both of their involvements with the Triforce. Sakurai may have later realized that when he bothered to add him, even if it was at a late point in development which resulted in him being a clone.

And I don't care much for Impa.

There's also that the majority of characters in Smash have been playable in their franchises. The only exceptions are Ganondorf, Zelda, Sheik, and maybe Falco and Wolf (I haven't played multiplayer in Star Fox 64 yet).
To clarify for you, Falco was playable in 64's multiplayer, while Wolf was playable in SF Assault's.

If Sakurai comes up with an idea to make Ridley unique, he will add him in Smash, otherwise, he's not going to bother adding him at all.
Because every character that was added in Brawl was totally unique, mirite? I mean three Landmasters and other repeated final smashes, how unique is that?!

At the very least if he does add Ridley, I'm sure he'll make him glide the same way Pit, Meta Knight, Charizard, and whoever else I might be forgetting was able to. He doesn't necessarily have to be unique if he does add him, though most are hoping or thinking he will unique in some way if he is. With the way he fought in the last games it's hard to see him being another Charizard or something.

If Sakurai doesn't add Ridley (again) it'll most likely boil down to him not finding the effort required to make him work be worth it, not so much because Ridley couldn't be unique.

And....

Ridley definitely had legit peers pre-Brawl. Now that most of those legit peers have been playable in Smash, the only Nintendo-owned character yet to appear in Smash anywhere near as big is K. Rool. Everyone else, Ridley is more important to Nintendo than, and more desired.
This is pretty much how it is now, despite how one may see the Ridley vs Fanservice Suit Samus thing.

edit:

Not just lines, Phazon... Ridley could also need some more cutscene time. And even be more related to the story then he was before. Metroid pretty much only focusses on Samus and her survival as John said last page, it's all about Samus. Metroid games are basically an ego trip for Samus so to say. :p

Ridley would be awesome but he isn't really an All Star yet. Just an important, re-occuring boss battle in Metroid, with a dark history. Though this hasn't been worked with even within in the games... AND WHEN IT HAPPENS PEOPLE COMPLAIN SAMUS IS BEING A SENSITIVE *****? Other M did a lot of things in the right direction, yet it wasn't so good fleshed out in the end.

Or: people expected it too much to be the best game ever...

Which it even had the potential to be. If done just a little better. Definitely would've been one of the Wii's classics.
Assuming they find a way again for Ridley to come back in the next game(s), I hope he's not given less screentime or relation to the story than before because of the backlash that his Other M scene caused, but that'll probably be the case sadly, so we may get a toned down Ridley in the future. :(

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My problem with that is though, that it's never really fleshed out in the games. Wish they would do that though...

Am
Project
Ninja'd right in the face with such a long *** post... I should feel ashamed.

Zero Suit Samus was playable quite recently before her announcement in Brawl though. She was in Zero Mission (playable for quite a long time) and also in Prime 2 iirc? I don't think she was a bad choice, at all.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind seeing a game pre-metroid
You know samus when she was adopted by the chozo, all her training and stuff in the army and all that
During her training or whatever she could leave to hunt down Ridley for revenge and have him as a final boss for once. But not with him dying. Like with meta in prime 1. The fight ends with you beating him but not death

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ridley is an All-Star. Diddy Kong is pretty much the only one who believes otherwise.
There's multiple definitions of "All-Stars." Diddy's definition is just different from ours. You and I are thinking "All-Stars" in terms of like the NFL, where there's almost 100 players on the equivalent of an All-Star teams. He's thinking of the NBA version, where there's about 25 players on the All-Star team.

In context to Smash, however, there is little argument that he isn't one of the 50 best, most exciting, and most original "main characters" in a Nintendo-owned franchise.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
My problem with that is though, that it's never really fleshed out in the games. Wish they would do that though...

Am
Project
Ninja'd right in the face with such a long *** post... I should feel ashamed.

Zero Suit Samus was playable quite recently before her announcement in Brawl though. She was in Zero Mission (playable for quite a long time) and also in Prime 2 iirc? I don't think she was a bad choice, at all.
lol, it's fine. That may have just been weird timing on my part.

Zero Mission came out in 2004 so that was quite awhile before Brawl, and in Prime 2 and 3 she only briefly appeared in Zero Suit form in the game's endings, which is still nothing compared to Ridley's number of overall appearances. But as far as when you used her in Zero Mission on a little side quest to get the full suit back I didn't mind the Zero Suit at the time, as it reminded me of the fun stealth parts of Metroid Fusion when you were hiding from the SA-X, but when the Zero Suit got more sexed up in Brawl in comparison and was made vastly superior to the armored Samus on a competitive level, that was kinda where I drew the line. Not to mention it produced users here like Slugma who talk about nothing but women's buns in video games. :rolleyes: You're entitled to your opinion on Brawl's ZSS though as I am to mine.

I wouldn't mind seeing a game pre-metroid
You know samus when she was adopted by the chozo, all her training and stuff in the army and all that
During her training or whatever she could leave to hunt down Ridley for revenge and have him as a final boss for once. But not with him dying. Like with meta in prime 1. The fight ends with you beating him but not death

The first time she ever beat him was in the first Metroid/Zero Mission though (the manga and one of the Prime 1 logs confirm this), so it would be contradicting to have a pre-Zero Mission game where she beats him as well, since he becomes Meta-Ridley after his first defeat on Zebes.

Aside from that though, I wouldn't mind a pre-Zero Mission game that's more or less based on the manga, but it would probably be as hated as Other M.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I've always thought it'd be interesting if we got a pre-Metroid/Zero Mission game where Samus wasn't the protagonist, especially if it had Ridley. Perhaps play as one of Samus' ancestors=??? I don't know, maybe make her dad a soldier of some sort. The universe of Metroid is interesting is enough, and it would be nice to see how it was setup before Samus became the unstoppable force that she is.

Also, in general, I would like a Metroid game that shows a lot of the universe. Then again, a lot of the Metroid appeal is that, like the movie (series) it is inspired by (Alien), a lot of what makes it unique is the mystery; like the mystery of what makes Ridley tick, how he specifically rebuilds himself, and how he got to be where he is.

Top Bottom