• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really fail to see how Ridley would be awkward since all his frame is is a skinny Charizard with longer legs.
And bigger wings, and a longer neck and head. He'd have to be about 1.5x the size of Charizard minimally to work.

Well, at least he has enough CON to wield axes. :troll:

D

Deleted member

None of those translate into drastic changes to Charizard that would affect him in the long run.
Unlike the legs, which makes moving as a stubby legged dragon quite difficult.

His wings are no issue, they could even be Charizard size directly as still work. Why? Because of the 2D titles Ridley has been in.
His neck? Moves just like any other limb, except he keeps it bent when he's not reaching out with it to attack.
His head? Are we really going to argue that just because his skull is bigger, he's going to be more difficult? Puh-leaze. :rolleyes:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Still, he'd be the largest and most awkward moving character on ground in the game. It's easy to assume he'd be harder to program than most others. All I'm saying is, don't get your hopes up yet. Expecting too much leads to dissapointment.

D

Deleted member

If you knew anything about how character models are like, that assumption would never come to be.
I suppose you think someone like Sentinel was "hard to program" due to his size.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If you knew anything about how character models are like, that assumption would never come to be.
I suppose you think someone like Sentinel was "hard to program" due to his size.
Seriously. He's essentially your standard humanoid. No real gimmicks about him. He's got a few additions like a tail and wings, so while he may be a lot to work with animation-wise, it's completely doable.

Look at characters like Venom (or something) whose fluid nature would have eaten up too much RAM due to the processing power it would have taken to render in Marvel 3. THE SAME GAME THEY MADE A CHARACTER LIKE SHUMA GORATH WORK IN. There are actual problems characters can face, but Ridley is no where near as awkward or complex people want to offhandedly believe. I mean, I propose Mach Rider explodes and reforms, and I don't have trouble imagining how that would actually be implemented from a technical standpoint.

As for hit boxes, his tails and wings would not factor into those. Just like for Mewtwo and Charizard. They're... "tangible" only during use. So I guess the only real problem to fuss over is his big head. Which is solved by, OH MY GOODNESS, tilting it down a little so it's not sticking straight out.

Was my little depiction of him in the first post not convincing? While I didn't consider how it would effect his moveset, the hit box that pose creates is nice and compact for a character as lanky as him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Still, I dunno if he'd work being so skinny yet is supposed to be heavy. Believe me, I'd like this to work as well but just don't see it as too likely. As I don't know if Ridley would you know, help with the game balance. Maybe make him more like his Other M appearance? He's a bit more buff there. Sure his head is ugly as ****, but it's a more workable 'fighter' model. He also uses far more physical attacks as punches, so it's a better base than most other Ridleys thus far, wether y'all like it or not.

That Ridley hack video just... Isn't so good...

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Someone mentioned other m, lets all just slowly back away.
I was just pointing out the long neck tail and wings because every persuasive argument needs a concession.
The game that shall not be named does have merit for physical attacks, but he doesn't do much else that could be implemented in a moveset as specials due to the fact that they affect a large area or take long to start, such as his tail jab thing when he is flying. Unless that is used a down aerial similar to Lucas

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Maybe this Ridley is more workable for Smash?

Ok, sorry, I'll stop. Just couldn't help it. :troll:

I was just talking about regular, ground moves. As punches and stuff. His Other M model, while ugly as ****, is much better build than other Ridleys to be a physical fighter that doesn't look awkward. Aerials and specials are no problem for Ridley, it's just his ground game that needs special attention.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Still, I dunno if he'd work being so skinny yet is supposed to be heavy. Believe me, I'd like this to work as well but just don't see it as too likely. As I don't know if Ridley would you know, help with the game balance. Maybe make him more like his Other M appearance? He's a bit more buff there. Sure his head is ugly as ****, but it's a more workable 'fighter' model. He also uses far more physical attacks as punches, so it's a better base than most other Ridleys thus far, wether y'all like it or not.

That Ridley hack video just... Isn't so good...
Im almost certain if he is playable it will be his other m form your right.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Still, he'd be the largest and most awkward moving character on ground in the game. It's easy to assume he'd be harder to program than most others. All I'm saying is, don't get your hopes up yet. Expecting too much leads to dissapointment.
You know, I could say the same thing for Pit, but the ironic part was he turned out to be awkward in the air! XD

Edit: The Other M form won't be playable. Quite frankly, nobody likes that form as much as his original form, especially Sakurai. He likes to roll with the classic colors, styles, and designs of characters, not crap export designs by a C-grade studio.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know, I could say the same thing for Pit, but the ironic part was he turned out to be awkward in the air! XD

Edit: The Other M form won't be playable. Quite frankly, nobody likes that form as much as his original form, especially Sakurai. He likes to roll with the classic colors, styles, and designs of characters, not crap export designs by a C-grade studio.
They could easily make a fighter model out of the body porportions of Ridley's Other M appearance. I agree that classic is better, especially in Ridley's case (imo even the Prime Ridleys where ugly).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Diddy
So far in each of the 3 smash bros games and through various means (Ridley in Zebes' background in 64, Ridley in the epic Melee opening, Ridley's Melee trophy, Ridley being both his 64/Melee look in Brawl and Meta Ridley, both as bosses and trophies in Brawl), Sakurai has shown one thing: He likes the Super Metroid design of Ridley (and the purple color from the original Metroid).

He also somewhat likes Meta-Ridley, too.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So? Combine the characteristics of Ridley and Meta Ridley with a body like Other M Ridley and we're fine I guess?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So? Combine the characteristics of Ridley and Meta Ridley with a body like Other M Ridley and we're fine I guess?
No, what I'm saying is that even the Meta Ridley design looked exactly the same as the Ridley design (save for Meta Ridley's unique robotic characteristics and armor).

What we'll likely get (when Ridley is playable) is the same looking Ridley with the same design as in the 3 previous smash bros games. Which, as we all know, is an updated version of the Super Metroid design with the original Metroid color (purple instead of red; red will be an alternate color, though).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
They could easily make a fighter model out of the body porportions of Ridley's Other M appearance. I agree that classic is better, especially in Ridley's case (imo even the Prime Ridleys where ugly).
They could, but it doesn't mean they will. And it was mainly just Omega Ridley who was ugly out of the Prime games, but as mentioned earlier, he at least had an excuse for the way he looked; Phazon mutations often don't result in something pretty.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No, what I'm saying is that even the Meta Ridley design looked exactly the same as the Ridley design (save for Meta Ridley's unique robotic characteristics and armor).

What we'll likely get (when Ridley is playable) is the same looking Ridley with the same design as in the 3 previous smash bros games. Which, as we all know, is an updated version of the Super Metroid design with the original Metroid color (purple instead of red; red will be an alternate color, though).
Maybe it had to do with Samus being based of Super Metroid as well? Which reminds me, I totally need to play that game still!

Still don't think using only the Other M Ridley's body will be a bad idea. If he isn't big, he'll turn out to be too skinny. And you know, Ridley like to eat honey ever since Other M so... :awesome:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Maybe it had to do with Samus being based of Super Metroid as well? Which reminds me, I totally need to play that game still!

Still don't think using only the Other M Ridley's body will be a bad idea. If he isn't big, he'll turn out to be too skinny. And you know, Ridley like to eat honey ever since Other M so... :awesome:
Sounds to me now that you actually ''want'' the other m form in Sm4sh..i sure as hell dont..i just agreed with you thats its his most likely for to be playable..unfortunetly..i hope john is right though...

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
What the crap? I love other M!
Alright, lets not get off topic right here... Ok, well the first problem we see here is that ridley is really big, like, much bigger than bowser. It might as well make him the heaviest fighter by far, but have you seen how skinny this guy is? His ribcage is almost showing, so he might not be as heavy as you might think. Moving on to his moves... they seem pretty ok, really. It sorta captures his image as some dragon-pirate-alien thing. It would make more sense if he just grabbed tighter when he attacks with his grabbing, I think his claws ARE poisonous. The other thing I approve of this character is because we got only 1 metroid character, anyways. Don't just want 1 from the series, anyways.

And that is pretty much it, I might post more later...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If y'all want skinny Ridley, expect him to have much of the same weaknesses Mewtwo had. Namely: huge hitbox, reletively light weight. He needs that extra bit of beef on his body to make it as a playable character, wether you like it or not. He needs to be as fat as he is as a boss in Brawl, but about half the times smaller imo.

I kinda liked Other M to, to be honest.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
If y'all want skinny Ridley, expect him to have much of the same weaknesses Mewtwo had. Namely: huge hitbox, reletively light weight. He needs that extra bit of beef on his body to make it as a playable character, wether you like it or not. He needs to be as fat as he is as a boss in Brawl, but about half the times smaller imo.

Hmm..i know what you meannn (-_-) i dunno man wait till E3 lol (sucker reply..)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Apart from the partially exposed ribcage, the only thing about "skinny Ridley" that's actually significantly skinny is the neck, despite not being as buff as the Other M counterpart. So I disagree that he would be just another Melee Mewtwo in weight and weaknesses, 'sides maybe the hitbox. His size alone should make him somewhere at least above lightweight.

While it could help, the extra beef he got with his body in Other M isn't necessarily something he "needs". Pretty much the only things from Other M I would still bother advocating for him to have in Smash at this point is some of the newer techniques like hardening and darkening his skin that could work as a reflector-like special.

And I don't think you're a devil's advocate, for the record.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The fact you haven't played this game means you should be banished from this thread until you play it.
It would be a bad idea, because it looks awful, and all the other appearances of Ridley in previous Metroid games was better. Heck, the Nintendo Land cutesy Ridley would do better. Plus, the Super Metroid purple Ridley look is simply iconic, and a similar model is used in all of the Nintendo-made Metroid games, all of which were better than Other M (even Metroid II). Not to say Other M is bad, but Metroid games are held to a legendary standard. Metroid II, Prime Hunters, Prime Pinball, and Other M aside, all of the games in the Metroid series have been absolute classics.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I agree MPH story was very reapetative but the mult was great insane grapchics for its time..but was full of bugs and hacks...

One of the best DS games still would loveee a sequal.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Id still hope for metroid 2 remake
But i see the merit in a balance between heavy and light, thick or thin

yh for real...only metroid games i have played are the prime trilogys.

My birthdays on the 28th! damn getting reallll old :( I dont think K.Rool is a shoe in but i wish he was..more then Ridley sometimes...

ugh..wrong thread...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Not that I'm familiar with Metroid, but I remember reading pre-Brawl that Samus' Brawl armor was a hybrid of multiple games' designs. Perhaps the same would occur with Ridley since he hails from the same series?

Ridley22

Smash Ace
The Other M design just looks awkward. His limbs are not only too beefy, but too long. Just because he looks skinny, does not mean that he has to be weak in game.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Not that I'm familiar with Metroid, but I remember reading pre-Brawl that Samus' Brawl armor was a hybrid of multiple games' designs. Perhaps the same would occur with Ridley since he hails from the same series?
Samus' armor design in Brawl is a combination of Metroid Prime trilogy (she has the same basic armor in each game) and Super Metroid. She also has various suits from Metroid/Super Metroid, Metroid Prime 1/2, and Metroid Fusion (the Fusion Suit with the latter).

Ridley's overall design in Brawl is based on an enhanced version of Super Metroid. This enhanced version of his design features some design chances/input from Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion. Also, the color of Ridley in the original Metroid; purple, instead of red, the latter of which is the color Ridley in Super Metroid.

So we already got what you asked for BKupa in Brawl. ;)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It always annoys me when people say Brawl Samus has some kind of hybrid design. It's pretty clearly her Zero Mission design. Not a hint of anything else. As one would expect with the inclusion of Zero Suit Samus.

And so far Sakurai seems to love Super Metroid Ridley. Hopefully that won't change. ALSO, who cares if Ridley is big and light like Mewtwo. Just want to play as Ridley. Sakurai never sees the same things as competitive players so I would guess in his mind that's perfectly balanced.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am curious what other Ridley supporters think, but to me Ridley is basically one of the last Nintendo characters that is not yet playable that could be labelled an "all-star". Ridley has been in his franchise since the very beginning, has made an appearance in almost every installment to it, and is the arch-nemesis for the series main antagonist.

I can't think of any other character for any Nintendo series already represented with a playable character that has the resume that Ridley has that is not yet playable.

I think the characters coming next after Ridley would probably be Toad and K. Rool.

Really, at this point there are very few Nintendo characters left that match the caliber of the ones added for Brawl.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If only people understood that size is not an excuse for not having Ridley as a playable. And saying that he can't walk is quite redundant too, seeing as Mewtwo doesn't walk either (it levitates).

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I am curious what other Ridley supporters think, but to me Ridley is basically one of the last Nintendo characters that is not yet playable that could be labelled an "all-star". Ridley has been in his franchise since the very beginning, has made an appearance in almost every installment to it, and is the arch-nemesis for the series main antagonist.

I can't think of any other character for any Nintendo series already represented with a playable character that has the resume that Ridley has that is not yet playable.

I think the characters coming next after Ridley would probably be Toad and K. Rool.

Really, at this point there are very few Nintendo characters left that match the caliber of the ones added for Brawl.
What if Sakurai admits he was possible but he didnt add him in Sm4sh because he deemed him not worthy enough?

Then what?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If only people understood that size is not an excuse for not having Ridley as a playable. And saying that he can't walk is quite redundant too, seeing as Mewtwo doesn't walk either (it levitates).
Mewtwo just hovers slightly, and only when dashing. Charizard's dashing looks very much the same. And I wouldn't really call it levitating. I wish they would make Mewtwo, Zard and Ganondorf float though...

Ridley can walk. He just doesn't do it too often.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What if Sakurai admits he was possible but he didnt add him in Sm4sh because he deemed him not worthy enough?

Then what?
Then we would forever question and condemn Sakurai for such incorrect logic, because that's one of the last things Ridley would hypothetically get rejected for. I mean, he has been worthy enough to appear in each Smash so far in some form, was the character chosen to appear alongside Samus in the Melee intro and was the only character to be a boss twice (not counting the fact that you have to fight Galleom twice). I think Sakurai is aware of his worth.

Top Bottom