• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Watch in some kind of sick, twisted joke that it'll be Goyagma that's playable and Ridley only appears as a hazard when someone plays a Goy

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I support Ridley as much as the next guy, but if Ridley really is a stage hazard I REALLY doubt he'd still have a chance at being playable.

Changing Conductor Link for a different character would be easy. Changing a Ridley stage hazard for a different boss would be a lot of work.

I'm kinda counting on the fact that there will be NO stage hazard and that Ridley's absence from Pics of the Day is suspicious.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I"MMMM BAAAAAACKKKKKK >8D but with a different username......(I just replaced the 2 in my name with a 3 lol) So dafuq'a been going on here after I ditched this thread o3o but I'm just gonna say I'm not supporting Ridley 100%. I'm supporting him 10% (jk don't kill me please e.e). I'm supporting him 50% while the rest 50% would me honestly me thinking that he's most likely a stage hazard. Anyways what been happening?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Huh. As the months go by, the more I believe that Ridley isn't a stage hazard, especially since Sakurai was even more vague in the Japanese text, referring to Samus's trauma rather than "an enemy from her past". I seriously doubt he's trying to hide him in his daily pics of the Pyrosphere.

On a more different note, should Ridley wall-cling? I think it's a good idea, but would it work?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Huh. As the months go by, the more I believe that Ridley isn't a stage hazard, especially since Sakurai was even more vague in the Japanese text, referring to Samus's trauma rather than "an enemy from her past". I seriously doubt he's trying to hide him in his daily pics of the Pyrosphere.

On a more different note, should Ridley wall-cling? I think it's a good idea, but would it work?
Seems kinda odd for Ridley...

Plus that and Gliding sounds kinda broken. Not like a too good kind of broken. More of a glitchy broken.

Morbi

Scavenger

Wall-cling? Do you mean like Lucario? That would be utterly creepy, yet awesome. I think he should, especially if his air-game is going to be his focus.

Whoa, wait a second... was Conductor Link a stage-hazard? I thought he was just a background character. I mean, this means that all background characters are safe, but stage-hazards? What?

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
so what do you think of the guy who supposedly talked to chaos zero( the guy who leaked brawls roster)

the leak said( sumed up not exact words):
ridley was a stage hazard
no k rool
better online

the user who leaked it has a history of posting as well

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
If he is a stage hazard I hope he's like what he was in dead or alive:dimensions considering it's the same stage

Megazero64

Smash Apprentice
well i don't think well be getting any news regarding newcomers in a while because i've noticed a pattern, sakurai announces a couple of veterans then one or two newcomers (mostly one). so what if sakurai is just announcing the veterans to give time to making Ridley's announcement video. I mean if the big bad purple space dragon is going to join he needs a kickass intro right? Right?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
so what do you think of the guy who supposedly talked to chaos zero( the guy who leaked brawls roster)

the leak said( sumed up not exact words):
ridley was a stage hazard
no k rool
better online

the user who leaked it has a history of posting as well
Like I said in that topic, I can't say I completely believe it as it requires quite a bit of relying on "ifs." The user does have a better record, but it wouldn't be the first time a well respected user has come back and given false information for a chuckle. We don't know if he's really talking to ChaosZero, he didn't mention him by name initially and it's possible that either he or the person he's talking to is lying about it. Even if we believe those two bits, there's also the possibility that said user is lying about his information or is mislead, for instance anyone who followed the Pokémon XY hype remembers that Hiro was a well respected user who leaked the BW list but got most of his facts in XY completely wrong.

That's not to say this is completely false, but I'm not going to put too much stock in it yet just like I would any other rumor. It still has to be treated with skepticism to at least some extent.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
On a different topic, here's that campaign for Metroid Lego I posted a while back. The Lego Samus vs Ridley set has over 1000 supporters but needs more to be considered for an official Lego set.

Oh hey, I sorta remember that now. So I guess it's gotten a lot more support since last you posed it here huh? Interesting. Around how much more do you think it needs to be considered?

And what Arcanir said on the whole leak thing, though I certainly wouldn't be surprised at this point if it was all true. sigh

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh hey, I sorta remember that now. So I guess it's gotten a lot more support since last you posed it here huh? Interesting. Around how much more do you think it needs to be considered?

And what Arcanir said on the whole leak thing, though I certainly wouldn't be surprised at this point if it was all true. sigh
By the rules of the site the project needs 10,000 supporters. That's why we need so spread it around. There's also one with Mother brain but this ain't her thread.

Groose

Smash Champion
Like I said in that topic, I can't say I completely believe it as it requires quite a bit of relying on "ifs." The user does have a better record, but it wouldn't be the first time a well respected user has come back and given false information for a chuckle. We don't know if he's really talking to ChaosZero, he didn't mention him by name initially and it's possible that either he or the person he's talking to is lying about it. Even if we believe those two bits, there's also the possibility that said user is lying about his information or is mislead, for instance anyone who followed the Pokémon XY hype remembers that Hiro was a well respected user who leaked the BW list but got most of his facts in XY completely wrong.

That's not to say this is completely false, but I'm not going to put too much stock in it yet just like I would any other rumor. It still has to be treated with skepticism to at least some extent.
There are only two leaks in which I have remotely any faith. This one... Is not one of them.

On a different topic, here's that campaign for Metroid Lego I posted a while back. The Lego Samus vs Ridley set has over 1000 supporters but needs more to be considered for an official Lego set.

Don't get your hopes up TOO high. We did reach the signature requirement for a Zelda set once, and it didn't pass inspection.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
By the rules of the site the project needs 10,000 supporters. That's why we need so spread it around. There's also one with Mother brain but this ain't her thread.
So Ridley only needs OVER 9000 more supporters to go now and for Vegeta to break his scouter again? Good to know. Probably won't be happening then and even if it did, there's what Groose said about Zelda. =( THANKS FOR GETTING MY HOPES UP THERE FOR A MOMENT.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So Ridley only needs OVER 9000 more supporters to go now and for Vegeta to break his scouter again? Good to know. Probably won't be happening then and even if it did, there's what Groose said about Zelda. =( THANKS FOR GETTING MY HOPES UP THERE FOR A MOMENT.
Less than 9,000 and besides, the last few thousand votes are easy, the hard part is getting it to the main page.

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591

did he say it was chaos zero in a later post?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
did he say it was chaos zero in a later post?
Someone asked him if there were any accurate Brawl leaks on GameFAQs, and the guy came out and said "ChaosZero and PortraitofRuin leaked accurate information. So did NyaseNya, but not on GameFAQs." I think it's a safe bet that it's ChaosZero, who was notorious in the s*** he got from GameFAQs users and mods, but even if it's not, it's probably one of three accurate leakers anyway.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I support Ridley as much as the next guy, but if Ridley really is a stage hazard I REALLY doubt he'd still have a chance at being playable.

Changing Conductor Link for a different character would be easy. Changing a Ridley stage hazard for a different boss would be a lot of work.

I'm kinda counting on the fact that there will be NO stage hazard and that Ridley's absence from Pics of the Day is suspicious.
What's a lot of work? Replacing him with another monster? The replacement wouldn't have to act like Ridley at all. Think Spear Pillar, it could be Dialga one game or Palkia the next.

JediLink

Smash Ace
What's a lot of work? Replacing him with another monster? The replacement wouldn't have to act like Ridley at all. Think Spear Pillar, it could be Dialga one game or Palkia the next.
That's the point. The hazard would be completely different and would therefore require more work to implement than if it were able to be a simple model swap.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I really think Ridley will be playable cause clearly he is the most wanted character. He has 357 pages about him. I would be so surprised if he doesn't show up

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I really think Ridley will be playable cause clearly he is the most wanted character. He has 357 pages about him. I would be so surprised if he doesn't show up
Having the most pages in a thread here =/= being the most wanted character, especially when a lot of the pages here just consist of arguing with toobigots and stuff, and the fact Ridley/Metroid isn't very prevalent in Japan at all like in the West.

Nice avatar though. Scales was pretty cool for being like the last bad guy made by Rare under Nintendo.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
A lot of those pages are due to people speaking out against his inclusion, unfortunately.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
A lot of those pages are due to people speaking out against his inclusion, unfortunately.
We've had just as many people argue back against them. Ridley's popular enough to be recognized by Japanese fans as a potential candidate so there you go.

I really don't understand why people keep saying "he's too big", considering that argument has been torn to shreds over and over and over by the likes of Bowser, Ganondorf, and Dedede (the latter of which is too small). I think the reason why people keep speaking out because these people are just simply against any new Metroid rep out of spite to their fans.

That being said, Ridley is indeed quite popular, but the fact is that the reason there are so many pages is because of pointless bickering with people who really can't get it in their heads that the space dragon has been wildly inconsistent in size throughout the series.

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
Someone asked him if there were any accurate Brawl leaks on GameFAQs, and the guy came out and said "ChaosZero and PortraitofRuin leaked accurate information. So did NyaseNya, but not on GameFAQs." I think it's a safe bet that it's ChaosZero, who was notorious in the s*** he got from GameFAQs users and mods, but even if it's not, it's probably one of three accurate leakers anyway.
which worries me, what was he username of this leaker anyway do u remember?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I really don't understand why people keep saying "he's too big", considering that argument has been torn to shreds over and over and over by the likes of Bowser, Ganondorf, and Dedede (the latter of which is too small). I think the reason why people keep speaking out because these people are just simply against any new Metroid rep out of spite to their fans.
Or to spite Other M, especially with all the content it's been getting in the game. Thankfully, there's much more that would rather have an Other M esque Ridley than no Ridley at all, than there are those that would be against his inclusion completely if he got that design. That division within the fanbase still exists nonetheless though.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I find it unfortunate these days that I quite often come across people who say "I'd like to see Ridley playable, but I no longer believe he's getting in / but it's not gonna happen / but there's no chance...". It's not the same as just being unsure whether or not Ridley will get in. Their view has been badly skewed toward a strong pessimism.

It makes me think of a bizarre scenario where, if Sakurai was looking to see how wanted Ridley was, these posts would actually make him believe those people didn't want Ridley. All he'd see is "Ridley.... No..." or "Ridley.... won't happen" or "Ridley.... I can't see him in...".

See how bad that looks? Looks almost like naysayer speak, except from people who do want Ridley in! Like I said, it's a bizarre scenario where the Smash fanbase effectively discusses away a highly requested character because they just couldn't have some faith. Oddly enough, an equally bizarre scenario would be Sakurai basing a character's popularity on the size of forum threads, in which we'd be sitting pretty right about now. :p

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
You would be suprised about the things that happen and dont happen in this world....

RealTalk....

Having the most pages in a thread here =/= being the most wanted character, especially when a lot of the pages here just consist of arguing with toobigots and stuff, and the fact Ridley/Metroid isn't very prevalent in Japan at all like in the West.

Nice avatar though. Scales was pretty cool for being like the last bad guy made by Rare under Nintendo.
His Avatar is cool but yours is soooo much better....you do need to change it though...imo

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
That's the point. The hazard would be completely different and would therefore require more work to implement than if it were able to be a simple model swap.
A model swap may be easier in a sense but even if all Ridley does is throw fire from the back ground that would hardly be something I would call "more work" for another creature. More work in the sense that it's taxing on the development team. Even an adult Metroid could fly out from the back ground, shoot acid and ultimately function exactly as Ridley could. I brought up Dialga, Crecellia and Palkia because ultimately what is happening? I model sits in the back ground not interacting with the characters directly, all the while random beams and boomerangs of energy come flying at you. Of course it took more work to create such hazards but it's not something that would hinder the team in anyway judging by what we've gotten in the past.

Them doing more work isn't going to stop them from having hazard and playable Ridley if that's what Sakurai wants.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I find it unfortunate these days that I quite often come across people who say "I'd like to see Ridley playable, but I no longer believe he's getting in / but it's not gonna happen / but there's no chance...". It's not the same as just being unsure whether or not Ridley will get in. Their view has been badly skewed toward a strong pessimism.

It makes me think of a bizarre scenario where, if Sakurai was looking to see how wanted Ridley was, these posts would actually make him believe those people didn't want Ridley. All he'd see is "Ridley.... No..." or "Ridley.... won't happen" or "Ridley.... I can't see him in...".

See how bad that looks? Looks almost like naysayer speak, except from people who do want Ridley in! Like I said, it's a bizarre scenario where the Smash fanbase effectively discusses away a highly requested character because they just couldn't have some faith. Oddly enough, an equally bizarre scenario would be Sakurai basing a character's popularity on the size of forum threads, in which we'd be sitting pretty right about now. :p
Though I may be what you could say pretty pessimistic about someone like Ridley during these times, I've never been on that level. But yeah, it is pretty disheartening thanks to the revelation of Pyrosphere and stuff. I hope your mentioned scenario gives some of those extremer pessimists something to think about though at least.

You would be suprised about the things that happen and dont happen in this world....

RealTalk....

His Avatar is cool but yours is soooo much better....you do need to change it though...imo
Yep. Sometimes though I wish I was still that naive/gullible in a weird way, because of how much ignorance is bliss and all.

Change it to what? :ohwell:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
You know what would be the worst thing that could happen to Ridley? If he ended up being a stage hazard, but at the exact size we want him to be playable. Us supporters would get pissed to no end for obvious reasons, and Ridley haters would also be pissed because their bs argument would be reduced to dust...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You know what would be the worst thing that could happen to Ridley? If he ended up being a stage hazard, but at the exact size we want him to be playable. Us supporters would get pissed to no end for obvious reasons, and Ridley haters would also be pissed because their bs argument would be reduced to dust...
No, the worst thing that could happen to Ridley is if the character doesn't show up at all.

No matter what anyone says, no appearance is worse then a minor appearance.

Top Bottom