• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Funny how the sprite of K. Rool is going on twenty years old and it still looks better than that Ridley model from a few years ago.

It really shows that character design and artstyle come before graphics in making something look good.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
The only decent part about that Ridley is the tail. Even then, the devil tail outclasses that one by a long shot. Gotta hand it to the big guy to be able to sport what would be an otherwise lame asset on any other monster.

MZM Ridley is best Ridley, doe.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
So...uh...anyone else notice that Other Ridley's tail, besides the out-of-place scimitar coming out of it, looks a lot like a dildo?

It seriously looks "ribbed for her pleasure".

Also, I think Prime Meta/Omega-Ridley is my favorite design, although Zero Mission is definitely my favorite non-Meta Ridley.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
So...uh...anyone else notice that Other Ridley's tail, besides the out-of-place scimitar coming out of it, looks a lot like a dildo?

It seriously looks "ribbed for her pleasure".
Samus has had enough trauma, please. The last thing she needs is the clone of a dead dragon on steroids trying to comfort her.
Now the devil tail, on the other hand...:troll:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Okay, so.....How about Final Smashes? Anyone have any ideas? I could see Meta-Ridley happening. Or would he have something else? Maybe summoning a bunch of Space Pirates could make for a good Final Smash.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I don't generally care for Transformation Final Smashes. They seem rather uninspired and unsatisfying, to me, anyway. Besides that, Meta Ridley really isn't much more powerful than the regular one, besides having more offensive options.

I think a cool one where Ridley just goes apesh*t on someone would be neat, like he grabs them, then lays into them with his claws, tail, plasma breath, fangs, etc., then does the "face grind" in a cutscene similar to Cap's FS, then they just go flying to their death.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I don't generally care for Transformation Final Smashes. They seem rather uninspired and unsatisfying, to me, anyway. Besides that, Meta Ridley really isn't much more powerful than the regular one, besides having more offensive options.

I think a cool one where Ridley just goes apesh*t on someone would be neat, like he grabs them, then lays into them with his claws, tail, plasma breath, fangs, etc., then does the "face grind" in a cutscene similar to Cap's FS, then they just go flying to their death.
I think he should have jigglyP FS it would suit him more.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I posted this in the philosophy thread, but I figure it has its place here. Basically it's how I got to know Ridley and why I want him as much as I do. It's pretty long though, so I've collapsed it:

[collapse="Big post about a big guy"]In my case we're going all the way back to 2004, which is actually 10 years ago by now. Me and my brother had been all over Melee for the two years since its European release at this point, but in all honesty we weren't really familiar with any characters besides the Mario (including Yoshi and DK of course) and Pokémon characters. So we decided it might be time to explore a bit, and the first thing that caught our attention was Metroid. Not only because of how cool Samus looks, but as Godzilla fans we were very interested in the enemies that she fought, and the two ones we had seen at this point were Ridley and Kraid, from the intro and Brinstar Depths respectively. Now, my brother has always loved the designs of the big and bulky guys, he mains Dedede, DK and Bowser in Brawl too, so of course he was all over Kraid's design. I on the other hand was dragged into Metroid by the 3 or so seconds that this eggplant-looking dragon appeared in the trailer, not to mention his overly radical trophy.

Either way, we went on to purchase a game for each of us to play, my brother chose Metroid Prime and I chose Metroid: Zero Mission, the latter which had just released by then. We purchased the two games from the internet, but there was a problem so Zero Mission would arrive later than Prime, so while waiting I had nothing much to do than watch my brother play Prime and watch the few preview videos that were on the Zero Mission website. I remember that they had some kind of beastiary page on the Zero Mission website which showed the enemies that Samus would face, and I just remember staring at that transparent red silhouette on Ridley's page, it just further confirmed to me that he was the guy that I was the most excited to fight. While that happened, my brother was of course playing Prime before I got to play Zero Mission, and the whole mission in that game revolved around tracking down Ridley, at least initially. This guy made a huge impact on me before I even got to play a game where he was in, and before I even got the game my PC's background was Ridley, I was constantly talking about Ridley and how excited I was to fight him, everything was Ridley before I even knew the character. That was when one day that I was playing Melee with my brother that it dawned upon me: Why the **** can't I play as Ridley in Smash Bros.?

The year is 2007 now, and I had lost touch with Nintendo for two or so years because of the worldwide phenomenon known as World of Warcraft that had simply pushed all other video games away from me. That was until I discovered Brawl of course. For some reason I hadn't heard of it until 2007, but I was very happy to see characters like Wario and Meta Knight, while I was a bit confused about Zero Suit Samus whom I had of course played as 3 years ago in Zero Mission. I mean, it was really just Samus but without all the cool gadgets, even in Zero Mission she was meant to handicap you, so I really didn't understand why she was there. Either way, it was quite convenient for me that I discovered the game when I did, as the Dojo had just opened, but because my hype was getting a bit out of control I needed somewhere to discuss the game, thus I joined my first forum ever: Brawl-Central. When I joined I fully knew what I was there for, there were only two characters that I needed in order for the game to be complete to me, but I spent all of my time supporting one character: Ridley.

I spent my time from August 2007 to January 2008 talking about the same dragon I was fanboying over 3 years before that. It was also during this time that I played nearly every other Metroid game I hadn't played at the time, and it effectively became my favorite video game franchise of all-time. I was pleasantly surprised at how many other people wanted Ridley, and seeing how many fan favorites were included (one of them being the other character I supported: Dedede) I was so sure that Ridley would be in. I didn't quite understand the "too big" argument though, but keep in mind that my first time seeing Ridley was in the Melee opening. Every time I saw the "New Challenger Approaching" banner at the top of the website, I'd close my eyes, scroll down, and see who it was. I was a bit dissapointed every time it wasn't Ridley or Dedede, and even when it was Dedede I still wanted Ridley much more.

Of course the news came on a sad January day, the Wolf and R.O.B leak was true and Ridley was degraded to two boss battles. This absolutely crushed me, I was so sure of his inclusion, and I had spend so much time just hyping up this damn dragon, so I was very dissapointed when the outcome didn't pay off.

Of course we then fast forward back to January 2013 where I come to Smashboards to show support to him once again (I've had an account here for 4 years to participate a bit in the Brawl hacking community though), and now we're here.

Ridley to me symbolizes all of the points in the OP:

1. Ridley is my favorite character in my favorite video game franchise, so of course I have a personal connection with him.

2. Ridley's playstyle would be a heavy aerial character with wide range but a lacking ground game, it's fairly simple but it's a playstyle we don't have yet.

3. Ridley obviously fits in with the rest of the cast, he's just as colorful as the rest and on top of that has a very unique design, even for a dragon.

4. This one's too obvious, Ridley would bring a true second character to the criminally under-represented Metroid franchise, and my favorite franchise at that too.

5. As a Ridley supporter I care about my fellow supporters, seeing Ridley in the game isn't just something I do as a means to satisfy myself, but also because we as a fanbase have wanted this to happen for longer than any other character fanbase, the only noteable fanbase which can probably compare is the Toad fanbase, a character I by the way only wanted in to satisfy his fanbase.

I guess that's it for my little Ridley story and why I want him so badly.[/collapse]

Btw, I finally gave in and played Metroid Prime 3: Corruption again despite my hatred for the motion controls. I still don't like the controls at all, and it's certainly not as good as the first Prime or even Prime 2 either way, but having just beaten Omega Ridley means I've done every Ridley boss battle in the franchise with the exception of the Prime Pinball one, which I'll probably do eventually, just for ****s and giggles.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
despite my hatred for the motion controls.
:urg: How do you even?

Motion Controls were a godsend for the first two Prime games. I can't even play the GameCube versions anymore. Not only that, but they're among the best Motion Controls for the entire system. So smooth and accurate. I never have trouble with them.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I liked both. I always joked that the original controls helped with my tech skill for Smash.

At any rate, I still have both my original copies of Prime/Echoes and Trilogy. Interestingly enough, in both copies of Prime 1, I have a save right before fighting Meta Ridley on Hard/Hyper Mode difficulty.

Hoots

Can Be Combative

No point to this post; just that it's been a while since this gif was posted on this thread. :troll:
Dear god, that model is hideous. Would people really prefer to have Other M Ridley than no playable Ridley at all? My friend who is obsessed with Metroid and loves Ridley always said he'd rather have Ridley not be playable than have him be playable but looking like... this... ("Woody Woodpecker" is no longer enough to convey just how disgusting this design is). I used to think it was fairly drastic, but now I think I may agree...

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I guess I've never had a huge problem with the Other M design, so to me the idea of not including him because they would use that model seems a little odd to me. Would it be a possible, I would image so, given that Samus is also using the Other M design wouldn't surprise me if they kept with that particular theme.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Dear god, that model is hideous. Would people really prefer to have Other M Ridley than no playable Ridley at all? My friend who is obsessed with Metroid and loves Ridley always said he'd rather have Ridley not be playable than have him be playable but looking like... this... ("Woody Woodpecker" is no longer enough to convey just how disgusting this design is). I used to think it was fairly drastic, but now I think I may agree...
No offense, but I question your friend's love for Metroid if he's perfectly content with it only having one character and mediocre-at-best choices for stages, with the same gimmick throughout the series.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Sakurai can always update it like he did with Samus so it probably wouldn't look that bad.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
:urg: How do you even?

Motion Controls were a godsend for the first two Prime games. I can't even play the GameCube versions anymore. Not only that, but they're among the best Motion Controls for the entire system. So smooth and accurate. I never have trouble with them.
After playing for a good few hours my arm starts to cramp up a bit from being in the same position for so long. There's also so many gimmicky things that they went really overboard with just because they have the motion controls, like how nearly every boss has a grapple point, or they make you lose target of something just to have you try and aim all over the place. Worst of all is when they want you to fire at small targets above or under the boss, like the Drone in Skytown or the Metroid Hatchers, that's just plain silly and not fun. Mogenar has also become my least favorite boss battle in the whole trilogy, the fight would have been interesting with Gamecube controls at least, but because you have to aim at those 4 orbs while the big golem jumps all over the place, while also sometimes having to targets the orbs he's drawing from the corners of the room, it becomes beyond frustrating.

They're just plain unnecessary and uncomfortable to me. I know that the game could have been played with the Gamecube controller, and that would have made me much more comfortable with it, but instead I can't play it for many hours straight without cramping just because they want me to throw grapple beams out everywhere all the time. Granted I dislike motion controls in general, it just irritates me much more with this game, because I know how unnecessary the controls are and how much more comfortable the two first ones were to me. Motion controls just haven't aged well at all imo, they were cool when they first came out, but these days it just feels like taking a longer way around just to do simple actions like pressing a button or taking out a energy cell.

I don't necessarily fancy the Other M model, but it still looks cool. I mean, it's only really ugly when you compare it to other Ridley designs (except Neo-Ridley), but in comparison to pretty much every other character on the roster he still looks badass. Plus, there's what Arcanir said, the model would obviously be edited to fit Smash, though I wouldn't count on him having anything but the Woody Woodpecker face. It's no reason to not want him playable though, at least not imo.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Nothing is going to convince those two that Ridley could work

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
You can convince an idiot that they're smart, but you can't convince an idiot that they're, indeed, an idiot.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
@ MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees , because I don't want to quote all that

Are you letting your arm rest at your side or holding it straight out? The best way to play the game is to relax and let your arm pivot at the elbow; playing the game while sitting in a chair with great lumbar support.

I've never once gotten an arm cramp or even slightly uncomfortable playing the Prime Trilogy, so I can't help but think you must be doing something wrong. I, of course, am very apt to be wrong a lot of the time, so I wouldn't be surprised if you just had a low tolerance for that sort of thing.

That said, opinions and preferences are exactly that, so I'm not going to bother trying to convince you otherwise.

The model and design are certainly less than prime (in more ways than one, lel), but I'd prefer a stupid-looking Ridley (design-wise) rather than no Ridley at all.

Now, if we're talking the full Other M treatment, where we have to play as Little Birdy and Hairy the Humping Lizard, then no, I'd rather just have no Ridley than deal with that ****.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ok, I'm done with that.

Them are idiots.

THEY wanted to bring up that Bowser was more in size with Mario on the NES, which made their ONLY point that Ridley has been growing in size every game invalid.

Since Ridley was more in size with Samus on the NES.

They just defeated their only point, and they don't realize it.

They are either idiots or trolls. But they aren't fun trolls

That wasn't fun at all

UltimateWario

Smash Master
>implying that everyone on Miiverse isn't just an idiot

Miiverse is the Nintendo equivalent of YouTube comments, dude. Never assume that anyone is smarter than your average 10-year-old.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't expect them to be smart.

But I expected them to have some fun with it

Edit: And also not defeat their own arguments

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, people don't go to Miiverse to act smart. That's why one of the responses on a picture of King K. Rool I drew was "we dunno this". I don't even know what they meant by that. It's odd.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
@ MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees , because I don't want to quote all that

Are you letting your arm rest at your side or holding it straight out? The best way to play the game is to relax and let your arm pivot at the elbow; playing the game while sitting in a chair with great lumbar support.

I've never once gotten an arm cramp or even slightly uncomfortable playing the Prime Trilogy, so I can't help but think you must be doing something wrong. I, of course, am very apt to be wrong a lot of the time, so I wouldn't be surprised if you just had a low tolerance for that sort of thing.

That said, opinions and preferences are exactly that, so I'm not going to bother trying to convince you otherwise.
It probably lies in the fact that my chair is rather low compared to the height of the TV, so I can't really rest my arms on anything. It's not so much that I hate about the motion controls though, as it only happens over a long period of time. But yeah, no point in discussing it to great lengths really.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Ok, I'm done with that.
Them are idiots.
THEY wanted to bring up that Bowser was more in size with Mario on the NES, which made their ONLY point that Ridley has been growing in size every game invalid.
Since Ridley was more in size with Samus on the NES.
They just defeated their only point, and they don't realize it.
They are either idiots or trolls. But they aren't fun trolls
That wasn't fun at all
It's basically the common trait is the closer to a company a forum or commuciation medium is the less... intellgent it generally is.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Haha, the guy eventually blocked me. Cool! I must have gotten to him. :troll:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For those who didn't see the "argument"

They used Ridley in SSE (Specifically the Meta Ridley fight) and Ridley growing larger through games as their arguments

The Ridley in SSE argument was the Ridley was so large he was able to knock around the Falcon flyer. Well, I looked up the battle and Ridley was NOT larger than the Falcon Flyer at all. So I rebutted that Ridley wasn't large, he was just powerful in that fight. So they changed their stance and said that Ridley was too powerful for SMASH. I rebutted and said that Samus is able to defeat Ridley, thus Samus is too OP for Smash

In the Ridley is larger in each game argument, I brought up that Bowser is larger in the new games than the old. They (Stupidly) said that Bowser is at least in size with Mario in the old games. Which defeated their own point. But to seal the deal, I mentioned how Ridley was also in size with Samus in the older games.

In other words, they kind of defeated their own points with little effort from me

I have no idea what they posted after that, because it was stupid

Also I implied they had small *****

Xhampi

Smash Lord
My dream of last night :

Sakurai : "So we wanted to make Ridley playable in SSB4, but there was so much complaint on the Miiverse about how players would not feel as if it was Ridley if he was resized that we finally decided, not without regret, to make him a stage hazazd instead to please the fans ".

I think that at this point even my brain is trolling me >n<

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I've had dreams about Smash releasing a few times where I either

A.) find out that Ridley isn't playable (and we got garbage like Tails and like three more Star Fox characters).

B.) am just about to look up a list of the available characters and wake up.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Btw, I finally gave in and played Metroid Prime 3: Corruption again despite my hatred for the motion controls. I still don't like the controls at all, and it's certainly not as good as the first Prime or even Prime 2 either way, but having just beaten Omega Ridley means I've done every Ridley boss battle in the franchise with the exception of the Prime Pinball one, which I'll probably do eventually, just for ****s and giggles.
You're not so much fighting Meta-Ridley in Prime Pinball (like with the other bosses) as you are focusing on keeping as many of your pinballs alive as possible to launch them into the Chozo artifact totems. Ridley will be there to fly around on both screens though and spam his meson bombs on your pinballs, making the Artifact Temple one of the harder tables in the game to complete.

Didn't realize you hated motion controls. I don't really care for them personally as long as the game is playable but it's whatever. IMO, Prime 1 > 3 > 2.

And nice uh.. story post from that other thread. Guess most of us now have posted our life stories on why we want Ridley playable, Chrono most of all. :laugh:

I've had dreams about Smash releasing a few times where I either

A.) find out that Ridley isn't playable (and we got garbage like Tails and like three more Star Fox characters).

B.) am just about to look up a list of the available characters and wake up.
Sounds about right.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry Ridley fans but after looking at the Ridley Other M gif GoldenYuiittsuin posted. We're not getting any other Ridley designs from other Metroid titles if he becomes playable. Sakurai can easily resize Other M Ridley and make him playable without any difficulties with his body structure. As you can see from the gif, his walking animation is already complete. As amazing as Zero Mission Ridley look, I can't see him working because of his neck.

Hopefully Sakurai at least fixes his beak if its true.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Ridley's size isn't the factor that is going to exclude him from being a character in the game. Anyone who thinks that characters' size is at all important when they're being considered is probably wrong. The final nail in the coffin for Ridley is the simple fact that no one in Japan cares about Metroid and they certainly don't care about Metroid's bosses.

If I am wrong and Ridley is indeed a playable character in this game, I will come back and sing you all a song apologising for my ignorance.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yikes, lotsa negative Nancy's in the last few posts.

I'm sorry Ridley fans but after looking at the Ridley Other M gif GoldenYuiittsuin posted. We're not getting any other Ridley designs from other Metroid titles if he becomes playable. Sakurai can easily resize Other M Ridley and make him playable without any difficulties with his body structure. As you can see from the gif, his walking animation is already complete. As amazing as Zero Mission Ridley look, I can't see him working because of his neck.

Hopefully Sakurai at least fixes his beak if its true.
First off, Sakurai hasn't been using the most recent model, necessarily, of each character. He's been using mash-ups that he thinks most fits each character. While I obviously can't know, I'd think he wouldn't use the Other M design, simply because it strays so far from how Ridley is not only represented in the other Metroid games, but in the previous smash games as well.

Ridley's size isn't the factor that is going to exclude him from being a character in the game. Anyone who thinks that characters' size is at all important when they're being considered is probably wrong. The final nail in the coffin for Ridley is the simple fact that no one in Japan cares about Metroid and they certainly don't care about Metroid's bosses.

If I am wrong and Ridley is indeed a playable character in this game, I will come back and sing you all a song apologising for my ignorance.
While the series may not be super popular, you're being a tad pessimistic, what with your 'last nail in the coffin'. You're implying he has many strikes against him? If anything, he is one of the characters with the most going for him. Series with a long history, yet low character count, already noticed by Sakurai (there's no such thing as bad publicity), who's already gone back on things he's said about brawl in sm4sh, just look at villager. So keep you hopes up, at least a little higher friend.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'll join you so long as we're singing a capella.

Also Viridi confirms stage hints blah blah blah Ridley deconfirmed.

Top Bottom